1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LeBron's the MVP, even if folks don't want to acknowledge it

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Stringer Bell, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-110208

Does LeBron win another MVP? Or does spite cloud the voter's judgement?

MikeHoncho and Desides like this.
  2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Spite clouds. Look for Kevin Durant or Amar’e Stoudemire. The media needs a new person to fill the “talented player on hopeless team” niche. Those two fit.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    You make it sound like Oklahoma City sucks.

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    It looks like he isn't even the most valuable player on his team...

Lebron will not be the MVP.

TheAnswer385 likes this.
  5. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    :lol:

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Check the stats giggley.

7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't know whether he'll win it or not, but the evidence presented in that article makes it pretty clear that those who don't vote for him are doing so in spite of the facts.

8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Hopeless, not bad. Oklahoma City will not seriously contend for an NBA title in the foreseeable future. They’re a talented but incomplete team with too many hurdles to overcome. Portland has a more complete roster than OKC, IMO, and Portland isn’t going anywhere either. The Lakers, Mavs, Jazz, and Spurs of the world all prevent OKC from getting to the NBA Finals; and I can’t see OKC beating Miami or Boston in a 7 game series. Likewise, I don’t see the Knicks making it out of the first round of the playoffs as currently constituted.

So, yeah. I do think OKC (and Portland, and Noo Yawk) are in a little bit of a hopeless situation. But OKC has a shining beacon of singular talent in Kevin Durant, so that makes them attractive to the media. It fits their template.

9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    NY in a hopeless situation huh....a team that's already good and can sign another max player...yea their fked.

10. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yes, they are.

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    26-24, 6th seed in the East is good?

12. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Adding another all star will propel this team into every year contenders. Anyone with two eyes can see that.

13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agree about OKC. I could see them becoming what the Cavs with James were if they're lucky. Then we can look forward to Durant deciding whether he wants to stay and be a beloved, perennial loser or going to someplace where he can win.

I don't agree about NY. Having to all-stars like Amare and Melo would still put them behind Miami, L.A. Boston and S.A., but it would put them close enough that a good draft pick or just smart roster building could get them to that level.

Desides likes this.
  14. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The trouble with that train of thought is the amount of assumptions made. There’s no guarantee an elite player will sign with the Knicks; there’s no guarantee they’ll build their roster in a way that lets them seriously compete with the best in the East and West; and there’s no guarantee that accomplishing both of those tasks will automatically propel them to annual contention.

There’s a lot that needs to go right for the Knicks to even begin to talk about them being able to get out of the first round of the playoffs. Assuming they make it.

15. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Poor uninformed child

16. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Have I mentioned lately that the schadenfreude well from your being passed over by LeBron is still flowing? :lol:

17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I thought the question was about hopelessness. Any team that has two all-stars is close enough to have reasonable hope. NY right now has no chance to go far in the playoffs, but the most probable outcome is that they will add Melo either this year or as a FA. If the most probable outcome occurs then they will be close enough. I don't see as expecting the most probable outcome as making a big assumption.

18. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    LEFRAUD is old news....and NY will make the playoffs and don't be so sure they won't beat the Bulls.

19. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    By what measure?

20. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    LeBron is not the MVP of the NBA.

But he is far and away the best player.

The Heat would be a very good team without LeBron, and even Sec has been making the argument that Bosh is more important to that team than Wade or Bron - but Chicago would not be a good team without Rose, the Knicks would not without Amar'e, and OKC would not without Durant.

I think LeBron is better than all those players, but that doesn't mean he is the MVP.

21. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don’t see the situation that way. First of all, Carmelo to the Knicks is by far from a lock. As far as I’m concerned, Carmelo talk is just the Knicks fans replacing LeBron as the next great what-if, nothing more.

As for whether or not two All-Stars is enough to have legitimate hope… well, ask Hawks fans about that one.

Cool story bro.

22. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    What in the world does that mean????

If all the players were available on the open market, who would receive the most money? Determining their value shouldnt be difficult.

23. PhiNomina

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I take MVP to mean the most valuable player to their team. The player that if you removed them from their team, would have the largest impact. I think that is the fairly standard definition of an MVP - unless Deon Branch won that Super Bowl MVP because in the open market he would get more money than Tom Brady.

And in that sense, LeBron isn't more valuable to his team than those other guys.

24. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    That’s what MVP is supposed to mean. In practice, MVP voters take it to mean “best individual performance in the league this season”, and they do it across all major sports. This is why Peyton Manning, not Chad Pennington, won the 2008 NFL MVP. Manning’s numbers were better, despite the fact that Pennington clearly had the biggest impact.

So the article in the OP is correct, from the practical viewpoint of what MVP voters are actually looking at. LeBron James is the most efficient player in the NBA and is posting MVP-worthy numbers. In terms of importance to his team, then you’re correct, Chris Bosh is a better candidate than LeBron James. But that’s not what people are looking at, for better or worse.

25. PhiNomina

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I just wish the NBA would set the expectations that it went to the best player. The way it is now it is open to debate either as "best player" or "most valuable" and that skews votes.

26. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Every mass-voted award is about perception, including the Hall of Fame.

27. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    All the talk being created by Knicks fans yet its plastered all over ESPN....Good call.

28. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The information about Melo to NY seems to be coming from the Melo camp rather than from Knick's fans, so I see it as much more than nothing. As for having two all-stars, that gives you hope, but it doesn't guarantee anything. The Hawks certainly had hope, they just couldn't put it together. Having two all-stars is the difference between being the Cavs with LBJ, who will probably leave if he has hopes of ever winning more than an MVP and being a team that is always competing and seen as one right step away.

29. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    ESPN also thought LeBron was going to either New York or Chicago. Yawn.

From what I can tell, it was a statement from Carmelo saying that he would favor playing in New York then magnified by a national media outlet that just happens to be based in the tri-state area. Lost in the cracks is that he also has identified two other teams, the Rockets and the Bulls. Let me know when ESPN starts hyping up Carmelo in Houston.

I’m talking about this year. Al Horford and Joe Johnson are both All Stars this year. I think every Hawks fan in the world would tell you they don’t think the Hawks are going to win anything except maybe their first round playoff series, depending on the opponent.

30. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    You need the stars...but the system puts them in position to win. Atlanta has the talent..they have two for sure all-stars..and another borderline one with a 6 man award candidate. They just do not defend well enough.

As for MVP....IMO Derrick Rose should get it...but If Chicago falls out of the 3rd spot and goes anywhere near the 5th spot in record...then you HAVE to give it to Lebron.

The argument Rose has is his team's success.

Lebron however..is a LOCK IMO for DPOY. It isn't even a discussion. I think his ***** slapping of Kevin Durant in a nationally televised game was the clincher. Either Mike Brown and every other coach he had sucked...or Coach Spo is that good. Spo has him defending 4 spots and in a couple of instances put him at center down the stretch, and he defended them all really well.

31. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    and since we are crapping on certain teams...OKC can;t win because their coach sucks..and they back down from physical play.

32. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Stats you wanna play, eh?

James: 26.1 PPG, 7.3 APG, 7.2 RPG, 1.5 SPG, 0.6 BPG, 48.2 FG%, 35.5 3P%, 76.6 FT%
    Wade: 25.4 PPG, 4.3 APG, 6.9 RPG, 1.4 SPG, 1.1 BPG, 49.7 FG%, 31.6 3P%, 73.3 FT%
    Bosh: 18.2 PPG, 1.9 APG, 8.0 RPG, 0.8 SPG, 0.7 BPG, 49.4 FG%, 27.8 3P%, 78.5 FT%

Can I keep laughing?

33. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Even Heat fans admidt when Bosh is out the team suffers more than Wade or Lebron....does that mean he is better than James? No...but you can argue Bosh is more valuable.

...If u want a good laugh look at Ur GM league roster last season. :)

34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I never saw the ESPN report. I heard a report during one of the TNT games that stated that there were talks among three teams that would send Melo to NY (I don't recall the other pieces involved). That representatives for Melo had made it clear that NY was where he wanted to be. The question was whether it would/could happen this season or if Melo was willing to take the money hit that would result in waiting for FA and the new CBA.

35. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    First he said it was Knicks fans who created it, now he is admitting it is ESPN...

LOL...

36. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The only trade scenario that had a realistic shot of going through was Carmelo to New Jersey, and that fell through because he didn’t want to sign a 3 year extension. The Nets weren’t on his preferred list. The Knicks talked to the Nuggets, but the Knicks weren’t offering enough for the Nuggets to pull the trigger (which is one reason why I’m pessimistic about their chances of contending for anything; if Carmelo really, truly wants to play in New York, you give up whatever the hell it takes to get him.) Now the Nuggets are supposedly talking to the Lakers, which is insanity; the Clippers have better and younger trade pieces. Neither team is on Carmelo’s destination list, though.

You have a pretty long history of being unable to read my posts. I don’t know what the problem is on your end; I’m not writing in Swahili or anything.

37. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    First off, you told me to look at the stats. I did. I think LeBron is more valuable to the Heat, but they are all definitely very valuable to the team. Don't tell me "look at the stats" then indirectly plead that stats don't tell the whole story.

As far as the GM League goes... do you realize how scary it would be to see Tom Brady, Jonathan Stewart, BJGE, Jason Snelling, Randy Moss, Chris Chambers, Wes Welker, Brian Hartline, and Marcedes Lewis on the same team?

At least my team had a real quarterback. :wink2:

38. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    What I meant was stats as far as record w/o certain players....

As far as your GM team??? You were a 14 point dawg vs. Thee Browns.

39. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    The Bleacher Report has more credibility than that statline.

40. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    You can't make a stats argument against Lebron for the MVP, although ESPN tried last night.

The guy's usage rate is 3rd, yet his PER is #1 in the NBA. That is a ridiculous combination.

Stringer Bell likes this.