1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Left 4 Dead 2

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Clark Kent, Oct 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Left 4 Dead was probably my favorite game last year, even ahead of Gears 2. Although I don't nhave early access to the demo (which was released on the 27th for people who pre-ordered) I've seen some clips on youtube and the game looks tight. Left 4 dead 1 looks like junk compared to L4D2.

Left 4 Dead 2 features more weapons such as AK-47's, Deagles, 2 new assault rifles (and the old as well), rocket launchers, melee weapons, a new sniper rifle which I hear is badass, and a few more. Also Laser sights for better accuracy, as well as explosive and fire ammo. There are new modes like scavenger and realism mode (to make the game harder in campaigns, as if expert difficulty wasn't hard enough) and a bunch more ****.

From what I've been reading, the game is better in every way compared to the first.

The public demo comes out 11/3 for PC and 360. I'll probably get the PC version this time around (I'll DL the demo and then figure our which I'll buy). I loved expert campaigns, but it kinda gets boring doing the same 4 campaigns over and over (L4D2 has 5 to start with, so that's better at least). The modding community in the PC version should be awesome. I heard crossroads mall was a blast in L4D1.

According to what I've read, Valve already has 2 DLC packs lined up (one is named Miracle pack and the other Apocalyptic pack) that was found by looking at certain codes in the demo.

Anyone planning on picking it up on the 17th? If so, will it be for PC or 360?

2. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I liked the first a lot and hope to pick this one up too. Sadly there are too many games coming out right now that I have ahead of it, it may get pushed back.

I really need to look at modding my 360. :lol:

3. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    To me L4D2 looks a whole lot cleaner and polished than L4D almost like they rushed L4D.

4. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I kinda thought the same thing. L4D really does look bare bones compared to L4D2.

5. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I'll probably play it for 360 but doubt I'll buy it. I enjoyed the game for about 6 hours before it became too difficult to find 4 people to play with all the time.

6. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I'll probably pick it up for 360. I had a lot of fun with the first one.

7. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    pre-ordered my copy and got the 360 and got the early activation demo.

The good
    -Great weapon balance. In L4D1 I would simply ride the shotty all the way. The gun was way overpowered. One of the things they did to limit that was change the amount of ammo a shotty can carry (56 for all except the combat shotty, which gets a hefty 90 and is amazing). Shotgun spreads are not as wide now, so no more point in any direction and kill 10 zombies (the combat shotty has the best spread by far). It creates a situation where you want/need to try new weapons. Running out of ammo and there's 1 of 3 AR's? You don't have much of a choice. Sometimes you even have to revert to tier 1 weapons. Makes the game more interesting on harder difficulties. Each weapon has pro's and cons. The AK for example, is powerful as ****, but it lacks accuracy compared to the M16 and Scar and takes longer to reload. However there will be laser sights in the full game and they make weapon accuracy really great from what I hear. AK+laser sight FTW.

Great weapons- The variety is very good, which is important because different situations call for different guns. There's 2 sub machine guns, 2 pump shotguns, and a (improved) hunting rifle for tier 1. Tier 2 is ridiculously awesome. 3 different AR's with different attributes, 2 auto-shotguns, and an AWESOME sniper rifle (pisses on the hunting rifle). The magnum (deagle) is also fun. It has less accuracy than the regular glock, but does sniper rifle damage. a much better alternative, IMO. One new addition is the bile bomb. Basically, you get to become a boomer. A horde about to rip through your team? Throw BB on them and they'll stay busy with each other. Tank about to ruin your ****? Throw it on him and they'll not only do very good damage for you, but they'll slow his *** down by getting in the way (and blocking rock throws) leaving you to rip through him. It's a cool sight. The melee weapons are iffy... It's fun and satisfying to take a sword, guitar, etc... to a zombie's head (the gore and blood plop on the screen), but they're not as practical on expert, IMO. I'll reserve judgment until the actually release... I hear the chainsaw is a blast.

Special infected- The original 5 (Boomer, Smoker, Hunter, Tank, and Witch) are all back. The tank is the only one they've changed, I think. In the old game, the tank would incapaciate you and beat you until you were dead. One strategy people used was running up on him and shottying him to death during this process. No more. Now the tank recognizes that if he can incapacitate all 4, the game is over. He moves from person to person now and is much harder. The new 3 (Jockey, Spitter, and Charger) are game changers. the Jockey is small and hard to hit. ONce he jumps on you, he's steering you away from your team and into zombies who beat the **** out of you. Such a pain in the ***. The Spitter changes the game because there's no more camping in corners with your team, ready to assault a horde and taking no damage. She shoots a large area of acid in your vicinity, forcing you to get up and run (and separate the team, which is obviously bad). She also does massive amounts of damage, even on normal mode. No more camping :(. The charger is hit or miss. He chargers in a straight line, which means you can avoid him by using the environment and will be easy to kill. However, if he does get you, you're going to get a beating. He does a fairly good amount of damage. The new infected are fun to fight in campaign and will be even better in verses mode. Can't wait.

The crescendo moments- In the old l4d, you might have to lower a forklife, which would alert the horde. That wasn't to bad... just corner camp and mow them down. Valve changed that this time... Instead, you will do something that makes massive amounts of noise and be forced to fight your way through the horde to turn off the noise from another area. If not, they just keep on coming, and become an endless horde. Much more fun.

Expert mode- With the new special infected, it's a *****... L4D was tough on expert, but is now pretty easy compared to L4D2. This can be a negative if your team sucks... Realism mode, which isn't in the demo will make campaigns (on any difficulty level) tougher. I can't even imagine realism + expert...

Negatives- Co-op. This can be positive with the right group of people, but on harder difficulties I've already had my fair share of bad experiences. People are idiots... They fire non-stop and think getting the most kills=skillz. Friendly fire is your worst enemy. They see a SI and just HAVE to get the kill, even if you're standing in the way. And if they're not killing you, they're kill stealing and running in your line of fire and ***** that you're not being careful... Co-op is a love and hate thing depending on your party. This isn't anything new really... However ppl know it's a demo and don't really care. I hope the real game is much different.

And yeah... That's it. The demo is fun, and the game plays much better than L4D1 in every way. If you liked l4d1, you'll love l4d2. I think people who weren't fans of L4D1 will enjoy the extra content in L4D1. It's def. not bare bones anymore.

muscle979 and dolfan32323 like this.