1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Left 4 Dead - Xbox 360 and PC

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by TheAnswer385, Nov 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    I pre-orderd it to save $5 and to get the early demo release code. Will anyone else be playing this on the 6th? Its a co-op game by valve so my expectations are high. :up:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQkFEJJg9DE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQjf3NurRaY[/ame]
    multiplayer vid

Left 4 Dead

2. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    This is a maybe on my list. I read a review that said the game is only a bit over an hour long and there are only 4 levels.
    The developers are saying that the enemy AI will scale to your skill, so if you are cleaning up on a level it will throw more enemies at you, and if you are struggling it will scal back the enemies so it will never play the same way twice.

3. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    An hour long? $60???

WTF?

Pagan likes this.
  4. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    here's the article quote

Xbox360Achievements.org - Left 4 Dead: Updated Hands On: Dead Air

after reading it again it looks like he tried to put each level is an hour, making the game about 4 hours. Still way too short for me to buy

5. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    the demo will cover 1/4 the game LOL

6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The point of the game is replayability. That's why it's short: a 30 hour game meant to be replayed repeatedly would get tiresome fast. (See Max Payne 2's unlockable/escalating difficulty settings.)

7. TheAnswer385

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    yea I will give you guys some info here in a couple days if I think its worth it

8. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    fans of valve shouldn't question this game. A lot of people are really psyched for this.

Not me in particular, never really cared for anything with zombies in it. Though i've come to terms with the fact that im in the minority there.

9. TheAnswer385

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    I have not heard a bad thing about the game yet.

10. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    That's because this game is going to be awesome... I can't wait for this game. One of the reasons I dumped my PS3 for a 360. Besides, it is valve...

As for the length... 4 hours is plenty. It's really meant to be a co op game. You and a bunch of people running for your lives while being hunted by Zombies? Saweeeet.

Answer, you said that the 6th? I thought it was being released on the 19th?

11. TheAnswer385

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    the early demo is released on the 6th (for people who pre-ordered it) one week ahead of the demo that will be available for the rest of you.

I just got this months official xbox mag today and they gave it a 9.5 out of 10 so it looks good. They also said it is more like 2 hours per mission than the 1 in the past post. So it looks hot :up:

Clark Kent likes this.
  12. TheAnswer385

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    well Ive played to 2 check points and I must say its pretty awesome. Me and the 3 other guys that were playing it and we were saying Ooh Jeez when we turned around to find 20-30 zombies in our face. Team work is a must in this game. It really does change it up all the time and keeps things fresh every time you play through it.

Ultra likes this.
  13. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Zombies and guns!!!!! Count me in!!!

14. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Sounds sweet TA. How scary is this game?

15. TheAnswer385

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    sent you an extra demo code they sent me.

16. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    glad to hear it's longer than an hour per level... for me that would have ruined the game. I'll try out the demo when it pops up.

17. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I DLed Left4Dead demo today, and played for 7 hours straight....

Oh.My.God. this game is ****ing great. I couldn't stop playing... a demo. This game is just loads of fun.

My only complaint is the l-stick is a bit sensitive when trying to aim. It's just taking time to get used to. I'm sure I could fix it in settings, but I was too busy pwning zombies.

The game requires strategy. It's like Counter-Strike. You need to work with team members for maximum efficiency. If your team mates are morons and rush, you're going to struggle. If you hash out strategies, talk ideas out, etc... you dominate.

For example, I was playing on expert (requires tons of team work/strategy or you get ****ed up quickly) with some guys. When you play expert Zombies tend to bum rush in packs of 15-20. I came up with my 300 strategy. Get in hallways, make 15-20 zombies rush in 1 by 1, making their numbers useless. Every team member takes turns firing, when you reload, let the next guy fire away. Nothing ground breaking, but an example.

The enemies change up all the time. You never experience the same thing twice, Enemies show up in different areas, pain pills show up in random places, etc... The same level can be played over and over again and you have to play it as if you've never looked around that corner.

Ive got nothing bad to say about this game. If you're around tomorrow, let's play Answer.

TheAnswer385 likes this.
  18. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    Just played the demo...this game is freaking crazy. Its awesome and i can't wait to buy the full version

TheAnswer385 likes this.
  19. touborg

touborg New Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Well, someone has to ruin the party.

Valve makes some great and very entertaining games. In fact, the number of really good game developers can probably be counted on one, maybe two hands, and Valve is definately one of them.

Left 4 Dead is a solid title, I spent most of yesterday playing the demo, and i really liked it. It's not even close to being worth 60$ though, not even close. I'd pay 25$ for this game, but not 60. This is why:

1. This game feels more like a Half Life mod, than a stand alone title. I'm sorry, but this feels like a bit of a halfass job trying to make the game look like something outside of the Half Life universe. It has the same environment graphics, the same low degree of environment interaction, and while Valve are usually really good at level design, this one falls short. The demo levels are linear and repetitive, and I'd like to see just a little bit of creativity in terms of how you get from one end to the other.

2. Let's compare the quality of products in the 60$ price range. Last time I picked up a 60$ game was Fallout 3, and to spare Valve the humiliation, I'll not do a quality comparison. For this price, Left 4 Dead is miles away from delivering the entertainment it should. Yes, co-op mode is fun, but the levels are short, and very straightforward. I played the 2nd demo level for about 4 hours yesterday, and while I had fun, I also left with a feeling that I'd literally done everything the level allowed me to do. I'd gotten into the vents, I'd used the stationary gun and so forth. This game would be ten time better, with a more open landscape, and alternative routes to the end of the map.

3. The setting. When I play a zombie game, I want to be scared. I want dim lights, I want corpses that suddenly stand up and gore everywhere. L4D has none of it, and it feels more like an action shooter that happens to have zombies, than a horror game. There are a few corpses in the demo levels, and guess what? There is no reason to get close to them, because you can't interact with the environment, and if you do get close, it's still a corpse. If you want to make a good, scary zombie shooter, let people search corpses for gear, and have some of them get up and attack you. Zombie games should be played alone, in the dark, which is how I played it yesterday, but I can honestly say that I could have played it in a fully lit room during daytime, and the experience would have been the same.

Left 4 Dead is going to be a fun experience for a week or so, but after that, the stale environment, linear gameplay and terribly boring game design will kill any will I have to play this game.

The tl,dr here is:

Buy Left 4 Dead when Steam do a sale, I know I will.

20. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    IGN Advertisement

IGN gives L4D a 9/10.

21. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If someone could give their own non-demo review that'd be much appreciated. :thumbup:

22. TheAnswer385

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    Ill let you know tomorrow

23. touborg

touborg New Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    I'd be really interested in how the player versus player multiplayer function works.

24. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Also, can you have offline multiplayer?

25. TheAnswer385

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    you can play split scree if thats what you are asking

26. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea I didn't know if it was offline 2 or 4 player.

27. Dubfire

Dubfire Follow me @canemutiny5X

Mar 30, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Damn!! Glad I read this thread before I bought the game. My girlfriend tried the demo and liked it. I skimmed through the IGN review which gave it a 9.0. I'll read more into the length of the game before I make my final decision.

Gears is only 8-10 hours or so but man do they throw a lot at you in those 8-10 hours.

28. Dubfire

Dubfire Follow me @canemutiny5X

Mar 30, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Here it is - straight from IGN:

Decisions, decisions. Looks like one I may have to sucker a friend into buying.

29. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Anyone have it yet? I should get it tomorrow....

30. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I played at a friends house for a few hours. It is pretty intense fun, and the game does deliver on not having the same experience twice. Everytime you replay a checkpoint or level the zombies get mixed up, the availababilty of health and ammo gets mixed up, etc. The controls for me took a bit to get used to, it definitely plays like a Valve game, a little twitchy and fast.

TheAnswer385 likes this.
  31. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Just checked the mail, no game... I should get it tomorrow, for sure. I don't know why GF sent it out so late. I got GoW2 on Saturday, one day after release. l4d was released on Tuesday...

32. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    played multiplayer for the first time last night. pretty cool. basically it sets up two teams of 4 and you alternate between the humans and the zombies. when your the humans you try to run through the level as normal. when your the zombies the computer selects a type for you based on difficulty, and then you choose a spawn location on the fly; your in kind of like a spectator mode. you get points based on hits and obviously you get more points if you keep them humans from getting to a safe house. I think when you die as a zombie you have like a 30 second respawn. It's pretty fun actually and it's great when you see a human player lagging behind a bit and then pouncing on him. It does a good job of making you feel like your actually hunting

TheAnswer385 likes this.
  33. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Got it today. Played the No mercy campaign, couldn't beat the game. That rooftop area is hard as ****. Every time we got close, a smoker would wrap us up... The tank is a *****. I don't know how ppl can go through an entire level on expert...

Anyone want to play tonight?

34. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Maybe. I share an account with my brother. I've I'm on I'll play. Legothug

35. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    SON OF A!...I just typed a large review and it got deleted. Cookie problems with Vista.

ANYWAY......Long story short. They made a GREAT game but it still feels lite. This is the first game I've ever played that successfully created a horde and did it well. the AI is VERY well done (the zombies and team mates) and it regenerates very very well giving you new obstacles every time.

That said while the spawns change, the weapons don't, the goal doesn't, the 4 levels and paths don't, and you never get to fight more than 6 different types of enemies.

Very neat in itself and a great thing to build upon. Give me more levels, varied paths, more enemies, and different weapons and I'd give this a 9.5/10. Instead it gets an 8/10 and will be fun as hell for a week or two.

36. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I can agree with this. It's a super fun game, play with friends, etc... It's going to be awesome for a few weeks.

I wish the 360 would get Counter Strike. I love that game.

37. touborg

touborg New Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    I'm not a big fan of the singleplayer game, but jesus the 4 v 4 multiplayer game is good. If anyone wants to play, that's what I'll be doing for awhile :)

Is there a Thephins steam group up? If not, I'll make one.

38. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I seriously hate this ****ing game....

I got out of class this afternoon, started playing, got an expert game going, got to the end of No Mercy...

We have tried everything to beat the game (this guy Zack and I). We finally figured out how to do it.

There's a spot on the Hospital roof top where the tank can't reach. Actually, that's not entirely true. Sometimes he can, more often then not he can't. Through a **** load of trial and error we had the perfect plan, I was close to getting my achievement....

However the spot that the tank can't reach is hard to get. Whoever gets the Radio has a 50/50 chance of dying. I of course, died, everyone gets the expert survival achievement...

Anyone who neglects to buy this game because of "length" needs to play on expert. 8 hours of frustration.

TheAnswer385 likes this.
  39. RWhaley

RWhaley New Member

Nov 29, 2008
    ho'd you like it

40. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    game rocks

i got it for PC in hopes that the modders would get a hold of it and do some fun stuff

plays flawlessly on my machine and circuit city carries it for PC for 39.99...well worth it for me.