1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let the criticism begin

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by anlgp, Aug 7, 2013.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

2. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    ok i start, the format sucks and the link is not working.....

RevRick, fins1, PhinsRock and 13 others like this.
  3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    PhinsRock, MonstBlitz and Alex13 like this.
  4. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Don't we all want to see improvement in those areas? What's to criticize?

RevRick likes this.
  5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This is not true:
    In yesterday's video interview on the official site, Tannehill said you could put that on him.

Tannehill's passing in that game wasn't as bad as it is made out to be. There is no way he has a consistent rhythm and timing with McNutt & Bumphis yet. Think about it, his best pass was to Gibson, a guy who has been getting starter reps from day one. Both of the missed passes were close just not on the mark, which should be expected in a timing offense first preseason game with 2 new receivers getting their first starts 2 weeks into camp.

PhinsRock, NJFINSFAN1 and dolfan7171 like this.
  6. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Beasley is turning into a OmarK and Mando wannabe, I see...he's been pretty critical of most everything this team has done in two weeks...or at least that's how long I've been following him...

7. anlgp

Of the team, smartass :)

8. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    He is just following the formula; be a douche, get clicks and twitter follows

Fin D and MikeHoncho like this.
  9. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    It was more in reference to the media starting to pile on. They tend to go any way the wind is blowing.

DePhinistr8 likes this.
  10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    What has brought on all this discussion of Ryan Tannehill? Weird how the national/local storyline evolves day to day.

11. anlgp

I think they're just jumping on actual "football" news since a game has been played, and unfortunately we're one of two teams that has played so far, so...

12. CantinaJack

CantinaJack New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Washington DC
    no one was giving much credit to RT when he was in his 5th strait practice without a pick. He has one down practice and literally EVERYONE is saying how in trouble we are... geez

13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Bottom line, with or without your two starting receivers, you have to move the team, if the play is not there don't force it, make a play on your own..tuck your sack back and run it.

Kingtut561 likes this.
  14. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Agreed come September but if Tannehill starts channeling his inner Cunningham during the preseason I hope Philbin benches his ***.

Larry Little, Ophinerated and Fin D like this.
  15. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Unrealistic expectations.

Kingtut561 likes this.
  16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Yeah well I disagree, if the play is sloppy then do something to make it unsloppy, otherwise you stay sloppy.

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Or you're taking stupid risks for games that don't matter. Tannehill didn't forget how to run, no need to do it in a preseason game. Makes no sense on any level.

18. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I reviewed it in slow mow stop/start. It's hard to tell because whose fault is it when the RB is supposed to look ahead and the QB is supposed to place it? From the replay to me, it seemed the ball was placed low. Miller has his forearms out, and when placed in his stomach it was at the lower arm.

But then, was Miller's arms too high? Tannehill placed it too low? Can any coach tell us the protocol on these? I did notice Tanehill took his eyes away at the last second. It seemed like he was faking a bootleg.

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It's called a slide, or a scramble, or getting out side the pocket.or making a play..once again if the inadequate receivers are not at their spots in his progression, than don't force it..

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sure....in the regular season.

21. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    For reasons including that the Dolphins spent almost a $100M in Free Agent signings, let 2 of their best (or perceived best) players go in JLong and RBush, and that the HOF game was the 3rd most watched tv show on last weekend. Something like 10.1 Million viewers watched, hence the national attention and magnification of issues, real or imagined, this week...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/06/hof-games-draws-10-1-million-viewers/

22. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah Tanny need to improve. Not like anybody doesnt know that. He looked lame in a couple of drives in HOF game and in practice. So? If they want to drag up Green to spout which i can only describe as laughable and embarassing comments. i.e Quote "Mike Wallace is no Reggie Bush, Mike Wallace is no Jake Long". Unquote. Rest my case. Just a shame nobody is raving about Bumphis and getting his plaudits or Jordan looking decent but no....usual negative stuff. I'm asking. Do football experts really nit-pick and make headlines from pre-season games when it involves a handful of plays and practice days when we've got 2 1000yd WR's missing from game time and practice? Seems a bit desperate to me to find something to report.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Ok, so you want him to force the ball and be innaccurate within the schemes parameters because its a meaningless game and just accept the sloppiness..

The game played causes concerns, not panic, but concerns, I like to try and understand why things happen and who's responsible, and whether it not it's something fixable, even if it is our first preseason game.

shula_guy likes this.
  24. 72 Dolphins

72 Dolphins New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    It's on both of them...the QB/RB exchange takes two. I don't think it is anything to be worried about and is easily cured with reps.

If Tannehill put the ball low, Miller has to adjust and if Miller wants to get a jump on the hole by looking upfield then Tannehill needs to hold that ball till Miller secures it. They need to work it out so both guys are comfortable with how the other likes it...

Familiarity and Reps - It should be a non-issue soon enough.

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yes, i'd rather him take some reps of trying to thread the needle when it doesn't count than risk injury by running around trying to make people miss in meaningless game. As you yourself have said numerous times, the escapability is something you either have or you don't...why risk injury in a preseason game? It just makes no sense Deej. Say he breaks one off and blows out his knee, was that worth it?

26. FanMarino

Nov 24, 2007
    Tanny needs more playing time in pre-season. Its almost like tradition that the starter QB gets a few drives. Tannehill needs to get playing time. Give him a half of football. Its not like Moore or Devlin needs it more. If any QB coming into his 2nd season with the QB experience he has had needs it then its #17. Seriously. Especially if his practice time isnt great. Get him in there. Am i wrong? Im fine to opinions but he needs reps imo.

27. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm just happy the coaches are focusing on the right areas for improvement. Tony Sparano couldn't figure that out and instead decided to focus on meaningless metrics. Whether Tannehill has the skills and mental makeup to improve in those areas remains to be seen. Who cares about the early criticism, Tannehill will have his chance to prove them right or wrong.

Berezo likes this.
  28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It's a game Fin, the guys across from him are trying to win, your instinct when you are playing the game should not change regardless if it's regular season or preseason..now I understand coaches will call the most vanilla plays possible in preseason,so here's what I'm thinking, Ryan needs to settle down in the beginnings of games, if that is indeed something that is real in his mind then how bout we call a play that settles him somewhat until he finds the tempo.? I'm not sure a play called that requires perfect timing and rhythm is the right call when you have backups playing and he's amped up..

Imo, theres a weakness in how Ryan assimilates the speed of the game...tempo..it needs to slow down, that's just something I think he struggles a bit with, and considering its the first game and everyone's watching I'm sure he was jacked, is it a coincidence that his accuracy disappeared in the game, when I know damn well how accurate he can be on those exact throws, I don't believe so..

It's a game, success builds confidence, lets do everything possible to be successful when the lights are on, including maybe a little improvisation by the Qb to combat the unfamiliarity or the nerves, lets call some plays that will take some pressure off in the beginning...

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree with this..let him play thru it.

Berezo and FanMarino like this.
  30. 72 Dolphins

72 Dolphins New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I'll think he'll get it. Remember, this was the 1st of FIVE preseason games and the team was barely 3 weeks into camp. Toss this game out, if everyone came out healthy and got a little contact going, it was a win. This Dallas game meant next to nothing.

Hopefully Phils parlays this into we need to work longer and harder...

31. FanMarino

Nov 24, 2007
    I know where you are coming from but its got Tanny negative press. Not good from his own view let alone fans and all negative merchants waiting for a non-story. Im sure #17 has heard or read the views and comments. Tannehill might have thrown 3 TDs in a half if he had stayed on that field and got into a rythym. Might be wrong but its pretty lame to get slated after 5 attempted passes. Just annoys me when i see headlines that are there because reporters can't see the blatant balanced facts. i.e No Wallace, No Hartline, its pre-season and players getting moved around especially rookie guys. Gets my goat when i see and read comments that dont belong in the real world.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  32. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I agree with this. Three series isn't enough in my opinion. Analysts looked at 5 pass attempts and said that he is struggling and the coaching staff needs to be very concerned about the whole ordeal. Are you serious? All day on Monday, all they kept showing was the failed handoff to Lamar Miller. There was someone here who said something that I liked when they said that it was expected to have some timing issues with some of the receivers because Tannehill hasn't spent time working with some of these players. They said he being in his 2nd year that he should show more accuracy. That wasn't fair to say. They had 2 weeks of training camp so far and now they are supposed to perfect chemistry? C'mon man!! I bet you gave him more reps they wouldn't be saying that stuff.

FanMarino likes this.
  33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Have you watched kaepernik and Wilson highlights of their first game...they ran all over the place in situations where the pocket broke down and picked up critical first downs...preseason..

Injured knee or inferior weapon excuses need not apply, Ryan needs to make some plays.

Pariah and Larryfinfan like this.
  34. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    One thing from yesterday's games that makes me feel a little better about the Phins: In general I thought the OLines were outplayed by DLines. Even good teams with typically sound OLines were getting worked up front - Cincy and Seattle, namely, had trouble giving the QB ample time and weren't opening much for the running games. OLines need some time to gel. Tennessee was the exception, imo, with the running lanes; it's going to be fun watching those two guards open things up inside for CJ and Greene - they're going to run straight through some people this year.

35. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Noticed the same, I watched a bit of all the games on Preseason Pass. Another exception may be Cleveland. Their 1s looked pretty sharp on O. Unfortunately I didn't watch any preseason last year, so I don't have anything to compare the Dolphins to come tonight's game (mainly how Tanny looks compared to last year). With the full set of 1s in, I'm expecting him to at least improve slightly over last year.

36. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Based on this "logic" we should start Matt Moore, with him in there and take away the 14 points Dallas scored on the pick-6 as well as Tanny/Miller fumble, we win the game by 10. Which is ridiculous, as is this article.

37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    And if one of them gets hurt in effing preseason??????

Following your logic, the starters should just play the entire game full out and the coaches should gameplan.

I'm sorry, Deej, this particular stance of your is insane. No good comes from risking injury in a preseason game.

CitizenSnips likes this.
  38. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    if I was a bucs fan I'd be ****ting bricks with the oline I saw.

39. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I agree. Kaepernick scrambling for a first down was idiotic. Why? Whose he trying to impress? He has nothing to prove. Throw it was, it's preseason.

Fin D likes this.
  40. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I agree mostly, Deej, but also remember that with Wilson and Ckeap...that's how they run that offense. It's not like either are traditional drop back types...they run the ball and that's their gig...I can't see the coaches strapping what those guys do for their teams, even in preseason. It's just as likely that they will/could get hurt in the first PS game, first RS game or 10th RS game or even in the playoffs...that's the chance those teams take based on their offense...