1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's All Take A Deep Breath (Future Of The Franchise)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Alex44, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Okay now exhale. Been a long time since I started a thread in the main forums. Here goes nothing *knuckle cracks*.

I know a lot of you guys are really upset that we lost out on Flynn. I think we all need to take a deep breath and realize that we had more info on Flynn than any other team in the league. Say whatever you will about Ross but in the end he is not cheap, nor is he afraid to try and make the big move. If Philbin had thought Flynn was worth it we would have paid him the money he received from Seattle. Now many of us are saying "He is better than Matt Moore, even if it is marginal it is an improvement". This may be true actually. He may end up being better than Matt Moore. The question is though how much better and is it worth the salary differential. In the end apparently not.

Teams do have success without franchise QB's in the NFL. Sometimes a great system can mask a lot of flaws and I believe even with the same team as last season in place we win more games simply due to our change in coaching staff. That remains to be seen of course and is strictly an opinion. I would wager that our offense improves even without Marshall simply because our scheme will be that much stronger. No more ground and pound followed by an incomplete pass fifteen yards down field. We are talking about managing the game with high percentage passing and creating space for Bush in our running game.

San Francisco was able to make it to within catching two punts of the Superbowl with Alex Smith. The same Alex Smith we have in town. While I understand the skepticism of Smith I think there are factors that led to his early failures as well. He was never a guy that should have been starting early on in his career. He is a smart guy but he never played anything close to an NFL style offense in college. He played under Urban Meyer and his style of play needed tweaking and it showed early on. His offense was in constant flux and his receivers were terrible. Yes he had Vernon Davis but you can't throw him the ball every single play. You need other threats. Smith never had those. Once a solid system was set in place and they upgraded the receiver slot a bit he certainly started to find success. If we sign him I will certainly support him and reserve judgement of him until he actually fails or succeeds here. He very well may be the bust he appeared to be his first few seasons or possibly he has turned the corner. We should wait and see on that one if it happens.

I understand the desire for a franchise QB, however at the same time I am realistic. I would take an above average QB right now who can lead my team to the playoffs. The reality is only one team can win the Superbowl every year and while it is easy to say you need a franchise QB to win one, it also doesn't guarantee that you will win one either. How many true franchise QB's are there in the league? Manning, Brady, Eli Manning, Brees...I may be missing a few but these are the guys I consider true franchise QB's. After them come great ones like Big Ben, Rivers, Matt Ryan, Schaub, etc and so on. Maybe we need to step off the ledge and understand that these guys do not grow on trees or fall into your lap. Your best hope is that you find a guy you can build around for a while. I know we are all growing impatient but it isn't as simple as landing a name. There has to be one available to you at the time and it has been our piss poor luck that there hasn't been. Maybe it was Flynn, but in my opinion chances are not.

You thought this was just a quarterback thread? Wrong.

There are a lot of ways to build a winning team and with the #8 overall pick we should be able to get a very solid player in a very solid draft. There is so much talent that by trading down and acquiring another pick we may not even lose out on anything. Whether you are a fan of Tannenhill, Floyd, Coples, or someone else there is a broad range of talent that you can build your offense or defense around as a key cog. Many say it is pointless to build your team without a QB. I couldn't disagree more. A team with a game manager and a strong team around them can win games. When did that not become good enough for us? The Bengals in my opinion certainly do not have a franchise guy in Dalton. Do you think they are any less happy they won games and made the playoffs? During their run did the 49'er fans go "Damn I wish we had a franchise QB!". Maybe some, but for the most part I would say no. They were too busy enjoying their team win.

So why don't we give this offseason a chance and see if maybe we can still enjoy our team winning next season. Let's hit the panic button after we see the product on the field. Bash, hate, flame....do whatever you want to my post. At the end of the day I love this team very much and it means more to me than a lot of people will ever know for many reasons, but even if we end up sucking it is no reason to treat other human beings poorly like some of us have.

There is more to life than football even if it doesn't feel that way sometimes.

slickj101, Jcouch1021 and ChrisKo like this.
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Without a qb, were going nowhere. Its that simple. We, do not have a qb. I get your point, but this team is not a team capable of going to the playoffs in this division, in this b conference, without a qb, Rt, #1wr, rg, and ask the holes we have on D. It won't happen until we Get a qb. Even drafting a guy this year means we need to hit on all our draft picks, since we have so many holes to fill. No matter how optimistic you want to be, its not looking very promising right now

MAFishFan and steveincolorado like this.
  3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    The entire point is that franchise QB's do not fall into your lap. The offseason has just started and people are at eachothers throat labeling it a failure already. We haven't even reached the draft. Free agency has just started and players are still yet to be cut once teams figure out exactly what their moves and priorities are going to be.

The point is to calm down and wait for the finished product. If it sucks then we riot.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Big picture here, we lost Marshall and Langford, but kept the defense intact.

MMoore could improve even further, it is more we all were amped up over Manning or Flynn, and wound up with neither which devalues the job MMoore did for us in 2011 behind one of the worst pass blocking OL's in the NFL.

5. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    Nice write up but don't waste your time explaining that if Philbin thought Flynn was the guy he would be a Fin.
    there are no franchise qbs looking for a job, including Manning, the draft is where they are.

6. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Solid post Alex, good positive reinforcement for this fan forum for our beloved team which we have stuck by for however many years that we haven't had a good run into the playoffs. However stats do show that having an above avg QB does improve your chances in getting to the playoffs, chad did great for us bringing us into the playoffs only to get lit up by the ravens. The past years have shown that a franchise qb does make it a much better chance of winning and advancing to the glory land.. Again, great post good to see someone not reaming out the other fans