1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life in Miami

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Galant, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    For anyone who lives, or has lived, in Miami - what are the best and worst things about living in Miami - apart from being able to go to Dolphins games regularly.

And, if different, what are some things that anyone moving to Miami NEEDS to know?

2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Learn how to speak Spanish. :up:

3. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Already can! :D

Interesting point though - is it that prevalent - and how dominant is it? Are there English/Spanish divides, or has a sort of 'Spanglish' emerged?

I would assume there are plenty who live there who don't speak Spanish....?

4. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    It’s been nearly 20 yrs since I lived there [Coral Gables], but the first time I went to the grocery store I was a little surprised when heard the cashier only speaking in Spanish.... and then went into a Hallmark Cards and 80% of it was in Spanish.

KeyFin likes this.
  5. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I worked at Costco in Miami Lakes up until 1992, and that's right on the Dade/Broward line. I would actually get cussed out by a customer almost daily for not speaking Spanish because you had so many Cubans in Miami. The English/Spanish ratio might have been 50/50 in Dade and 90/10 in Broward.

But once Hurricane Andrew destroyed Miami, the Spanish population came north and took over Ft. Lauderdale. Now you have wealthy South Americans, Brazilians, etc. throughout S. Florida and it feels like the English/Spanish ratio is about 20/80 or even 10/90. Spanish culture is everywhere and whenever I visit, it no longer feels like home since you don't really hear English spoken anymore. It could easily be Puerto Rico...it just doesn't feel like you're in the United States anymore.

Personally, I have no interest in visiting the place where I grew up- I still have some friends and family down there, but it's just not the same. I haven't been back for maybe 6-8 years? I just have no desire to get dirty looks for speaking English.

ToddPhin likes this.