1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Like a Good Neighboor, State Farm is There...With New Running Backs!!!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GMJohnson, Mar 1, 2011.

1. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Fans and pundits are saying Ingram should be the guy, but there are several guys who can be had later on in the draft. There are also a handful of UFAs who have starting caliber talent. Lots of options, but none of these guys have tiger blood or Adonis DNA. Which RBs do you prefer we go after, and why?

2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I prefer young talent at RB. older RBs just leave me paranoid that our starting RB will be on the injury list too much. The exception being if you can grab someone's stud backup RB, who's playing behind another premier RB, e.g, Michael Turner when he was with the Chargers.

GMJohnson likes this.
  3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I'd like Ingram, Leshoure, or Williams please and thank you. Probably in that order too. Then I'd probably pair him up with Ronnie again, and Lex. I think we can let Ricky go elsewhere, it seems he wants to be elsewhere with his post season comments, so with that, and given his age, it's probably the best decision.

GMJohnson likes this.
  4. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

I'd like the depth chart next year to be Ingram, Addai, Hilliard, Sheets.

No sense in keeping R&R. Ronnie can't stay healthy and Ricky's just about done. I lovem both, but their time is up.

Ingram in the draft because he has the least bust potential. If we DO ditch R&R, runningback is our biggest need, hence we use a first rounder on one. Why use it on another position and then take a lesser back with shortcomings in later rounds? That doesn't make sense.

Addai in free agency, because he will most likely have the highest talent:cost ratio. He's a pretty well-rounded back and would make a perfect complement to Ingram.

Keep Hilliard because he's the best left (and cheap!) after R&R.

Keep Sheets because of his speed and potential special teams value.

GMJohnson likes this.
  5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    need to go after Ingram
    stable: Ingram, Ricky or Ronnie, Sheets, Cobb with Polite/Hilliard @ FB

GMJohnson likes this.
  6. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    With comparisons to Emmit Smith, I wouldn't be too upset if Ingram was the pick at #15. Having said that, I'd rather we traded down and recouped our second rounder, and looked for another back later in the draft. With that in mind, I would hope we resign Ronnie Brown and make him more of a feature back. Not an every down back, but stop with this nonsense of switching backs every series. IMHO, a guy can't get into any rhythm when you do that.

GMJohnson likes this.
  7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thing is though, the comparison with Smith mostly center around a lack of speed, not balance, vision, power etc.

Do not think that is a good thing..:lol:

I like:

-Fanin nice measurables good hands can pass block already
    -De'rel Scott freakish athlete
    -Dion Lewis at 5'6 a surprise but he meshes into what we do as his lack of height coupled with the height of our Oline means he can get lost behind the LoS by defenders.
    -Jordan Toddman think he is a late round sleeper
    -Taiwan Jones insanely athletic small college player

As for the Running Backs we have or are impending FA's:

-Ronnie B, 29 yrs old, good all around game, low carries
    -Lex Hilliard, he intrigues me as Daboll managed to get 1,300 yds from Peyton Hillis, can he do something with Lexxy?

GMJohnson likes this.
  8. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    State Farm is a truly evil corporation.

jason8er and GMJohnson like this.
  9. Rdrunn004

Rdrunn004 Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Miami
    One of the later round guys that impressed my as well was Alex Green from Hawaii. He is a big back with good speed (I think he ran a 4.52 or something like that) and good hands.

GMJohnson likes this.
  10. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    That depth chart is cringe worthy. Why replace an injury prone RB with a soon to be 28 year old that has never started a full season before? Addai is a very average back at this point in his career. I like Ingram, but we have no explosive playmakers outside of Kory Sheets on your RB depth chart and Sheets has 1 career rush.

I'd rather go with a combo of 1 vet/1 rookie of any of the following players:

Vets:
    -DeAngelo Williams
    -Jerome Harrison
    -Darren Sproles
    -Jerrious Norwood
    -Leon Washington

I'm still all for bringing back Ronnie, but only for the right price and only if we let Cobbs or Hilliard go.

Rookies:
    -Ryan Williams
    -Mark Ingram
    -DeMarco Murray
    -Kendall Hunter
    -Noel Devine
    -Quizz Rodgers

GMJohnson likes this.
  11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    My goal in this draft is to completely redesign the offensive backfield.

How bout we go ''full ******' , players/hybrid scheme.

Mark Ingram, our feature back

Ckap, our very own big athletic QB.

Dion Lewis, our scatback

Stanly Havili, our multipurpose Hback/fullback

Tyrod Taylor, our WCQBX..

Happy happy happy..

ToddsPhins likes this.
  12. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Ingram is way overvalued. No way in hell I would go running back that high.
    R & R is done here. Ricky wants to leave and Ronnie will demand too much money.
    Patrick Cobbs is as worthless as a boner on the Pope.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Pat Cobbs presence on the roster just bothers me, BUT there is hope:

"I have not heard a thing about a new contract"

He was recently quoted as saying...now sign Shockey, let JT retire as a Dolphin ala Zach Thomas, and this will be a goood week for me.

GMJohnson likes this.
  14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    There is a nice crop of 3rd 4th rd backs like Havili, Green, Fanin, Carter, Scott, that would help the running game tremendously.

Would love Ty Taylor as the WCXQB Deej, not sure if he would want to do it, but man he has the skill set to excel at it, and he would be far cheaper than Brad Smith.

15. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I could soooooooo go there with this one, but not gonna do it,.....not gonna do it.

Sceeto, brandon27, jason8er and 3 others like this.
  16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think Toddman has got some nice scatback explosiveness and speed like you said..

Hopefully the combine discouraged Tyrod enough to want to go to his home... WCQBX..lol

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That deserved a fist pump..err..wait a minute..:shifty:

Sceeto and Conuficus like this.
  18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Keep the name Josh Portis in mind Deej, he was a refugee from UF and wound up at a Div II college, he has Cam Newton's measurables and is a late rd pick.

19. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Awesome...

20. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I'm a big fan of bringing in Brad Smith. He's a gunner, a jammer, a KR, a decent 4th/5th WR, a WC guy, and we'd be taking him away from the Jets. You're right he will cost a lot more, but I think he's worth it.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  21. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Outstanding. If Cobbs & Hilliard are both on the team next year, we're in trouble. Same goes for Mastrud & Shuler, Moore & Wallace. If those guys are good enough to make the team in 2011, SMH...

djphinfan and ToddsPhins like this.
  22. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

O *** on , go a head ...

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, I like Shuler, Wallace and Moore, and am intrigued by Daboll+Hilliard, if he can take Hillis and do some things, maybe Hilliard has something as well?

Cobbs just drives me nuts, a draw on 3rd and 14 to Pat Cobbs?

Really? Where is he going?

Captain of the Special Teams?

Really? How did that turn out?

24. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    What matters is developing a vision and plan for how guys will be used and developed. There are quite a few tailbacks in this Draft that I feel can play in the NFL, one way or another. But they have to be used properly. You have to have the right vision for them.

There are runners I would probably shy away from a little. There are runners I would want to target a little. And then there are runners I wouldn't bother with.

I feel like Delone Carter is worth targeting. I feel like Dion Lewis is as well, as are Allen Bradford, Kendall Hunter, Bilal Powell, Daniel Thomas, Jordan Todman, Johnny White, Brandon Saine and Shane Vereen. Not all of those you target early, some you target as UDFAs, etc. But I like these guys, I lean toward them.

Does that mean I wouldn't want guys like Jacquizz Rodgers, Ryan Williams, Da'Rel Scott, Roy Helu, Derrick Locke, Mikel LeShoure, Mark Ingram, Jamie Harper, Alex Green, Mario Fannin, Demarco Murray, Taiwan Jones, Armando Allen or Anthony Allen? No, not at all. I just don't have as good feelings about those guys, for one reason or another. For instance, I love Mark Ingram but I know we'd have to take him at #15 to get him, and that's not happening with me. It just isn't.

I just have very specific ideas in mind, and vision for how to use the guys in the first group...the things I'd ask them to do. The second group, I'm not so sure. And if I failed to name a guy, it's either because he wasn't at the Combine, or I just don't like him.

Ozzy, ssmiami and GMJohnson like this.
  25. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Completely agree w/ deciding on a vision/scheme first. What I don't know is, what is Daboll planning to do? He was able to use Hillis effectively, will he try to duplicate that here? Or maybe a smaller/slasher type RB? Will we stick w/ the power run scheme, go more finesse, or be like the Jets and use a mix of both? I'm more interested in that than in which players we choose, but talking players is much more fun. You guys are beasts for studying all those RBs, is there a RB edition of Draft Winds in the works?

One other thing, who do you like, if anyone, from the FA backs list?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  26. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Todd will definitely like this post! ;)

ToddsPhins likes this.
  27. Ozzy

Willis McGahee or Benson would probably be the easiest signs. Williams will be a highly sought back and I don't see Miami paying his price. He would be nice though.

The draft, Ingram is my first choice but not sure if I'd spend pick 15 on him. Other backs that interest me are De'Rel Scot, and Ryan Williams. I'd be ok with Lashoure but would take all three I just mentioned over him....

GMJohnson likes this.
  28. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I thought I was the only one who wanted Benson lol. I think him and a 2nd rounder like Williams or Leshoure, & then a late round scat back to compete w/ Kory Sheets would give us some good talent and competition in camp and for the season. I need to do some research on Scott b/c he's been mentioned a lot lately and I refused to watch those 12pm ACC games on Jefferson Pilot last year:shifty:. What do you like about him?

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    ssssinner..

30. Ozzy

No, I like how Bensons played the last 2.5 years. But I must admit that I wanted Ronnie Brown over Benson or Caddy when they came out. Not that I was wrong but injuries surely made me look it.

De'Rel Scot is one of the most explosive backs in the draft. Running a 4.3 and being 210 pounds tells me he can take a few hits but he has good vision and excellent lateral quickness. When he gets to the second level he is extremely dangerous. Watch a couple of his videos and you'll see him juke some people right out of their shoes and with simple moves like using his body lean. With very little loss of speed so you'll see some ankles tackles. He runs pretty low to the ground but not always and he's had trouble holding onto the ball but he catches well, and I think he could be a late steal.

Here is one video from 2008....

[video=youtube;F6vNu1O6tWA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6vNu1O6tWA[/video]

GMJohnson likes this.
  31. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I see what you did there. :shifty:

32. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    He cannot stay healthy. Has had some nagging injuries and some bigger ones to his knee and wrist.

Ozzy likes this.
  33. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

That's a bit hypocritical.

These are the runningbacks you mentioned, plus Joseph Addai, organized into a list of games played over the last 5 years, with carries in parentheses. Conveniently, all but Sproles and Brown (2005) were drafted in '06.

Leon Washington - 71 (397)
    Joseph Addai - 66 (977)
    DeAngelo Williams - 64 (841)
    Darren Sproles - 63 (241)
    Ronnie Brown - 61 (921)
    Jerious Norwood - 57 (375)
    Jerome Harrison - 49 (342)

As you can see, Joseph Addai has played more games than all of those runners you listed, with the exception of Washington, who had less than half the carries and has suffered a severe injury (compound leg fracture)...so if anything, Addai could be considered the most durable of those listed (he also has more receptions (176) than your choices). If you want to go off on a tangent and suggest that this would mean that he has the least tread left on his tires, then sure.... but that's not what you said before (you claimed he wasn't durable; thus far, he has been moreso than all you've mentioned as alternatives).... and I'd simply retort "that's why I suggest getting him as a #2 to complement Ingram".

I've already addressed the fact that all of the backs are from '06 and Sproles is from '05, so I'm sure that you know, using the transitive property, that they're all about the same age.

So my depth chart was cringeworthy? I guess that would make the reactions to yours something like this....

[video=youtube;ZvAES6Y9Kfw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvAES6Y9Kfw[/video]

34. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Greg Little please. Wait........ is this a RB thread? Sorry, my bad. :shifty:

Mike Tolbert is a dark horse IMO.

GMJohnson likes this.
  35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The way Mike Tolbert runs is great and very endearing as a football fan, but I'm not sure he's ever going to stay healthy...ever. Marion Barber lost what he had pretty quickly when he tried to get away with running that violently on every play.

36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    As for Da'Rel Scott I get that he's a super impressive athlete. What I don't get is attributing great 'vision' to him. I've never really seen that. In fact I think there's not really a big difference between Da'Rel Scott and Brandon Saine, except where they're going to go in the Draft.

Ozzy likes this.
  37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Cant disagree with that, but how do you feel about him being the 2nd guy in a rotation...... maybe a little thunder and lightening...... or as a compliment to a dual-threat #1 back?

38. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    If I had to guess, I would say the RBs would look something like this next year:

1. Drafted player
    2. Ricky Williams
    3. Lex Hilliard

I also wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting rid of Polite and not having a FB on the roster.

39. Ozzy

Yeah, I mentioned he had trouble staying healthy in another thread but man, he has some get up an go, and with a 5th, I'd jump on him.

Too much talent to overlook imo

40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It's not like it'd be a bad thing but if I'm going the route of an injury prone guy then I'd rather check out Michael Bush.

ToddsPhins likes this.