1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List of Miami's Free Agents

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Trowa, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    With the possibility of the lockout being lifted within the next 24 hours, how many times have we said that recently :no:, just figured I would post a collective list of the players who will not have contracts with the Miami Dolphins as of the start of the league year. Also included is each players free agency status. If I missed any please post and I'll update the list.

Exclusive Rights Free Agents: If a player has 0-2 accrued seasons they must sign with their prior team if the team makes a minimum qualifying offer.

Restricted Free Agent: A player with at least 3 accrued seasons but less than 4 may seek a deal with any team however, the player's original team maintains the First Refusal Right if the team tenders a contract offer of one year at $1.01 M. If a team chooses to waive their right of refusal they will receive draft pick compensation for the player based upon set dollar amounts for RFA contracts.

Unrestricted Free Agent: If a player has 4 or more accrued seasons he is free to sign with any team and accept any deal

Lex Hilliard (Exclusive Rights Free Agent)
    Lydon Murtha (Exclusive Rights Free Agent)
    Kory Sheets (Exclusive Rights Free Agent)

Nate Garner (Restricted Free Agent)
    Joey Haynos (Restricted Free Agent)

Ronnie Brown (Unrestricted Free Agent)
    Patrick Cobbs (Unrestricted Free Agent)
    Tony McDaniel (Unrestricted Free Agent)
    Pat McQuistan (Unrestricted Free Agent)
    Quentin Moses (Unrestricted Free Agent)
    Chad Pennington (Unrestricted Free Agent)
    Cory Procter (Unrestricted Free Agent)
    Tyler Thigpen (Unrestricted Free Agent)
    Ricky Williams (Unrestricted Free Agent)

2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Most of them are gone. Except one of the RBs (sheets or Hilliard) and maybe Garner.nice job by Ireland. Where is Soliai? I thought he was RFA?

3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I thought we franchised him and resigned him?

edit: we franchised him, and will hopefully resign him to long term. he will make 12+ million this season with the tag.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  4. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I think Haynos was cut, after coming off IR. Soliai signed the franchise tag.

5. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If a player is waived/injured as Haynos was, and no other team puts in a waiver claim, which didn't happen in the case of Haynos, he automatically goes on to the IR list of the team from which he was waived/injured. In this case, the Dolphins.

Haynos has been on the roster at miamidolphins.com the entire off season. This roster has been updated during that time, such as adding in the drafted players. So, it isn't like whomever manages the official team site just neglects the roster because it is off season and there is a lockout.

6. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...os-set-to-become-unrestricted-free-agent.html

I think this is the article which caused some confusion. If he was not tendered, then he would be unrestricted but, I can't say for a fact what we did.

7. MrClean

This article has been referred to a few times with Haynos. There has not been a followup article ever linked here that I've seen to say what we actually did. So, I guess either way it is speculation.

8. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Yeah, I remember and I should have left it alone. His current status is meaningless. We either sign him or don't. I do like him better than what we had. Then again that would go for most guys playing the position.

9. MrClean

We had several Haynos discussions here the past few months, which if nothing else is an indication of how mundane things had become with the lockout.
    FWIW, in 2009, he graded out something like 15th TE overall as a run blocker, according to PFF. IIRC. With Fasano as an annual top 5 run blocker, he gave us a good pair in that regard.

10. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The only notable losses there are Ronnie and Ricky, I think we are deep enough at DE to live without Mcdaniels.

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I could see Pat McQuistan being the only UFA they ask back, especially if they sign Tim Barnes at OC.

12. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    I could see Rocky Dennis errrrr Pat McQustian returning as well.

13. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    The only absolute must-sign on that list is Tony McDaniel.

It'd be nice to have Garner and Sheets back.

TiP54 likes this.
  14. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    McDaniel wants starter money and the chance to start. That's probably not happening with the Dolphins; I think he's as good as gone.

15. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Yeah, the Defensive Line is this unit's strength. McDaniel is a pretty good rotational players.

16. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I agree that's probably what will happen, but injuries in the trenches are all-too common, and capable backups are invaluable.

McDaniel is more than capable, he could start on most teams—which is why I wouldn't mind over-investing on the unit by re-signing him.

A team that spent a #1 on a D-Lineman to an area of strength, on a team with multiple Offensive needs, would seem to be a team which wouldn't let a good (potentially great) DL get away for nothing; but nothing this administration does surprises anymore.

17. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I think you're looking at a tough sell with McDaniel. Even if you're prepared to cough up the money that a team with less DL depth is likely to throw at him, he's far from guaranteed to start. There's quite a few teams in the league that are bound to match whatever Miami would be offering money-wise and put a virtual starting guarantee on top.

Stitches likes this.
  18. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think too many people overvalue Tony McDaniel. Yeah, he had a few good sacks, but he's not as good as Kendall Langford was last year, or as good as Randy Starks was in 2009. Too many people also seem to forget Jared Odrick beat him out for a starting job last year, and that when Odrick went down, they didn't promote McDaniel to the starting spot, they moved Starks back and moved Soliai into the NT job. I think they've over-invested in the D-line to a degree, and they've got Odrick coming back, Merling coming off injury, Ryan Baker's played in spot duty, and with what they've been able to squeeze out of a guy like Baker and Lionel Dotson in stretches, I wouldn't blame them trying to get something out of Robert Rose. I just think McDaniel is a bit of overkill and that the money it'd take to re-sign him would be better used getting a QB, RB, LG, or OLB than re-signing our 3rd or 4th DE.

Third Man likes this.
  19. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Yeah, outside of the depth issues at QB and RB, I don't see too many "must haves" on that list. I imagine one of the running backs will be asked back (Hilliard, Sheets, Cobbs, before Ronnie/Ricky) and I assume we will sign a veteran QB and a developmental type for the third string, but it appears tha tIreland has done a good job with this team to not have too many huge holes to fill in an offseason that will be shortened and frenzied.

Ahmad Bradshaw/DeAngelo Williams and possibly Reggie Bush and you have your offensie skill players down. Haynos probably goes away with the drafting of Clay and McDaniels is replaceable if he demands too much. Lot of continuity among the units going into this seaosn. That has got to help considering the new offense, shortened timeframe of everything else to consider.

20. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Man, I'd love to see Ronnie at fullback and I'd like to keep Quentin Moses as well.

21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see McDaniels as likely too return even if we offered him starter money. There should be just as much money and better opportunities available elsewhere.

22. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I beliee Lex Hilliard and Lydon Murtha will be brought back for depth issues. With the new rule that the ball starts at the 20 yard line in lieu of a kickoff, Kory Sheets potetntial as a return man may be pointless now. Garner is a guy that I really feel we have to re-sign.

23. MrClean

What new rule is that? You are saying no more kickoffs? Just always start at the 20? I'd not heard of that before. I just thought the kickoffs were being moved 5 yds closer to the kicking team's own 35.

24. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    it was a joke referencing the fact that touchbacks are going to increase exponentially

MrClean likes this.
  25. MrClean

I think they will increase a lot, early in the year. The ball carries better in dry warmer conditions anyway. When it gets cooler and more precipitation the number should be less, but still more than if the kicks had to go 5 yds farther. It just seems reasonable to me. The one other change that may effect returns, is the coverage men can now only get a 5 yd running start prior to the kick. Before they could start back where the kicker did. At least a ten yd running start. This should somewhat slow them down as for how fast they can get down to cover a kick when they are returnable.