1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List of Positives- Week 12

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Section126, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    1. This is, so far, the team's best win. A quality opponent playing for something, and you outplay them in a couple of phases.

2. The return of Starks and Solai. That was a sledgehammer running game that they destroyed yesterday. Uh...keep those guys around...please?

3. Facing what is, in my opinion, the best secondary in the NFL (Sherman (juicing), Browner (juicing), Chancellor (killer), Thomas (the one that got away)), Ryan Tannehill might have played his best game, considering the opponent. That is good to see.

4. Charles Clay can Play. He makes plays when presented with an opportunity, and it's obvious that Tanny likes him.

5. Reggie Bush is alive. He ran rugged. He ran with speed and determination. He ran himself back into the good graces of junior GM's everywhere.

6. The Offensive line seemed...competent. (That's the only compliment they get after the last few weeks)

7. Daniel Thomas seemed...competent. (That's the only compliment he gets after the last few weeks)

8. Davone Bess is a keeper, and he should be in our plans going forward. Brian Hartline on the other hand, does not seem to respond to physical play as well. He is the expendable one.

9. Our Linebackers played very well against the run. Koa Misi especially stood out. I felt the ranking order was like this: Misi, Burnett and then Dansby. Karlos Dansby was shying away from some contact on this day, and I can only attribute that to his injury.

10. We won a game on defense, where Cam Wake was kinda terrible. That is a good sign. He didn't need to dominate for the unit to play well. Let's not try to duplicate this again.

11. Carpenter made a big Kick!!!!! He also failed to boot it out of the end zone versus Dolphin nemesis Leon Washington. Hey..it can't all be roses.

Our first quality win of the year against a good opponent. (I think Cincy is a fraud) That run to .500 seems much more realistic now.

Ludacris, RevRick, muscle979 and 17 others like this.
  2. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I would add that Tanny finally picked up some key first downs with his legs. We haven't seen him run like this all season!

3. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    BTW...I really wish that my draft crushes wouldn't pan out over and over again...

My latest crush is on Fiyah. (TY Hilton)

schmolioot likes this.
  4. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    You mean the guy we could've drafted instead of Michael "Inactive" Egnew? And the same guy IReland tried to poach as part of the Vontae trade?

Yeah, he's pretty good.

But overall it was a nice win. The weather was apositive yet again. A glorious south Florida day.

eltos_lightfoot and Section126 like this.
  5. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I actually disagree about Wake. The guy was put in a choke hold at times and was flat out tackled at other times. It was absurd...

gilv13 and Fin D like this.
  6. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    And, he needs to do it more often IMHO. He's stayed in the pocket and gotten sacked too many times. I know that's contrary to what you teach young QB's, but this kid needs to realize that he's athletic enough to make plays with his legs when he can't with his arm. Besides, he throws on the run extremely well.

JMHO...

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  7. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

I think Daniel deserves more credit. Sure, he put up quite a few stinkers, but against an equally dominant run defense (as our own), he ran with more ferocity and determination than Lynch.

dolfan22 and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  8. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    One of the main criticisms of Tanny is that he doesnt improve his performance at the end of games when the game is on the line like all the great QBs do.
    Today he did and that bodes well for the future.

Jimmyfin, RevRick, Ducken and 4 others like this.
  9. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Now he's got to continue to build on that. I liked that he got out of the pocket and wasn't afriad to run at all. That dimension is part of his skill set and he should use it more often, while not going nuts.

RevRick and dolfan22 like this.
  10. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Doesn't he have four 4th quarter comebacks on the season already?

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    One of my main criticisms of Tanny was his ability to work the pocket. Against the Seahawks in the 4th quarter he was near perfect at it. Moving around to buy more time, taking off and running which slows down the rush. He was awesome. My hats off to Tanny on his improvement. Martin getting beat on the outside means a lot less when Tanny steps up in the pocket allowing the guy to just run passed him.

Hopefully this game was a preview of things to come. If he can both work the pocket AND take off and run every once in a while, he is going to be a good quarterback. With a chance of becoming an elite quarterback.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't understand this concept of teaching the qb position Schmoot, I hear it all the time, even from the coaches, basically, keeping him in the pocket regardless of what the skillset can do..How is this an advantage in the big picture of his develpment over telling him to play free and instinctual?..

Cause it looked to me that once he decided to "drop his balls" as Starks said, the kid was playin great, and using the whole skillset, more free. One might say..

What are the benefits of constricting a rookie Qb to the pocket?, and what's the teaching thought process behind it?

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    One of the differences between this game and the two missed field goals is the 6 yard pass to Clay. That made it from a 50 yard Carp less than 50/50 field goal to a 44, Carp greater than 50 percent field goal.

Even though it looked like a pedestrian play, that 6 yard pass to Clay that went out of bounds is one of the biggest plays by both Clay and Tannehill in the game.

Aqua4Ever04 and maynard like this.
  14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    My guess it is to get him to learn how to utilize the pocket. A quarterback who can utilize the pocket with short steps is a very dangerous quarterback. We seen that with Marino. Getting that part of the game down, and then starting to use the athletic qualities, you have an Aaron Rogers type quarterback, which is really hard to defend against.

15. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    No, I think yesterday was his first. Of course he would have had a few more if Carpenter had made the kicks.

eltos_lightfoot and dolfan22 like this.
  16. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Well, you don't want to be looking to run, as opposed to looking to pass as that will just get you killed.

But the dimension of running when the opportunity presentes is something that all QBs with that ability should do.

Kaepernick is a perfect example. Harbaugh is simply allowing him to play and not asking him to be Alex Smith and it's working. It's why he's better than Smith.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Right, I don't see an effort to keep Kap in the pocket..I just don't know how you call an offense, or how you Qb, with this entrenched in your decision making process.

18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO that criticism is one of the more ridiculous things fans worry about. If a player can play, then his success in those situations is mostly a factor of his supporting cast and the number of opportunities.

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    RT using his wheels a bit more is a huge step. There was some conversation about how defenses have adjusted and that RT would have to have the counter-punch. I think that stealing a few first downs by running when the D is staying back in coverage is just that. I think one of the things that makes Luck the best of the new bunch is that he recognizes and takes those opportunities best.

20. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    We know he has the ability to use his legs. A lot of debate here on that as most of us were expecting more out his mobility. Was he being coached out of it so he didn't use it as a crutch? It could be that the game is starting to slow down for him a bit.

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    that was my guess

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Once again, how does a coach pull this off, there must be a fine balance to not fu&$ with his head.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I think it has hurt his game in the short run, however I can see a HUGE improvement in his ability to work the pocket from the Texan game to the Seahawk game.

I do not know if that improvement would happen if Philbin and Sherman put in an offense that utilizes his athletic ability, while cutting down the reads.

If he continues to show improvement in that area, I think that it is worth it.

24. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    I'm not a QB coach, but it would seem to me that when you roll out, you are limited to half the field, unless you want to risk the infamous "throw across your body." So keeping a rook in the pocket teaches him to see and use the whole field.

25. PhinsPhan23

PhinsPhan23 New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Honestly, I think it was the line play that propelled him to a couple of first down runs. The tackles were keeping their guys running down hill, T Hill was stepping up in the pocket, and the interior line were holding their blocks long enough for him to make the decision to tuck and run.

What I have seen in past games is the either:
    (a) the tackles get beat inside, THill cant step up in pocket and in turn is sacked or makes an off-balance throw
    (b) the interior line aren't able to hold up as long for the QB to make the decision to run

It seemed like THill had much more time back there and really made his decisions to run late. In my opinion, that decision has to come quicker b/c he is just not going to consistently have that much time.

In the end, good work out of the O Line yesterday playing more up to their level in both pass protection and the running game.

Props to Tannehill for making some great throws and having good footwork in the pocket. I simply can't attribute his scrambles / runs to the game slowing down for him or him making the right decision. He should be throwing the ball or deciding to run quicker than he did in those instances yesterday. 80% of the games we played this year, those attempted scrambles would have been sacks about a 1/2 second earlier.

maynard likes this.
  26. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I don't understand why you seem to think teaching someone to be more rounded will "****" with their head?

27. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Excellent point!

rafael likes this.
  28. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    this is one thing the coaching staff has restricted on purpose to force him to get comfortable in the pocket in year one. Ryan is by nature a very mobile QB & can run with the ball when needed.
    Hartline is a keeper & will bode well as we move forward, very important to resign him asap.

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Sorry for not being more clear..

My thought is this, there's a lot if instinctual things going on once that ball is snapped, it's instinctual to move up in the pocket, double clutch, while climbing up the pocket, and throw a strike down the sideline for forty yards..instinctual to maneuver the pocket to find different lanes for which to throw from..Instinctual to know when to take off and run..I'm not sure how you start the teaching process of a Qb by telling him to not use some instinctual parts of his skillset.? Seems counterintuitive to me? I can't conceptualize how the teaching process would happen..

Wouldn't it affect some instinctual things that are important in Qb'ing, maybe make him think too much.

30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Like the phrase 23rd uses here when he says " restricted on purpose"

That's what I can't grasp here as to developing the player.?

Maybe it goes something like this..." Ryan this play is designed to go here, if it's not there, do not run, go to your next read"

Is that the main purpose to purposely keep him from using his athleticism, and when do you teach him it's ok to take off and run? It's confusing to me, maybe a coach or someone can explain how the steps work..

31. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    i've said this for years.

32. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    we don't need T.Y....we have Marlon Moore!

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I do think we have room for both skillsets, but I think Sec makes the point on who would you keep if you could only have one..

Mine would be Bess as well.

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    We do have the opportunity to do something similar to what the colts did this last year in our draft this year..

With those 5 early picks, we could certainly turn it offensive and stock the team..and still look for a defender early..

With all the talk about offense in this town, and the weather, and the coaches that were hired, and the uptempo, I think that's what we're gonna do..

35. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    my point has always been if you're content with Hartline as a starting WR, you need to raise your standards.

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He needs to be the fifth on this team

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think you can win with Hart and Bess as two and three, you just need the really good overall skilled set like Jennings and an explosive rookie like Austin to complete it.

38. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

I think they are more of a 3 and 4. Serviceable at 2 and 3, but I'd really love to get two playmakers to be 1 and 2. Hartline and Bess are good for their catches, but don't offer much in the YAC department.

I'm thinking we need a field-stretcher like vintage Moss or Mike Wallace and a guy who get yards after the catch, whether it be through elusiveness or tackle-breaking ability.

Easier said than done, but I think it's something to keep in mind. Most prolific passing offenses feature two stars in that fashion. Roddy White and Julio Jones, Moss and Welker, Wayne and Harrison, Holt and Bruce, etc.

If Tannehill shows that he can be a franchise quarterback, and that we can rely more on him than the run game, I think it's a costly investment worth making. Maybe not in 2013, but perhaps in the following year(s).

Edit: Ryan Swope could be a nice pickup next year, as the future #2. He has enough speed to make plays, and the familiarity with Sherman and Tannehill, I'm sure, would be good for his development.

dolfan22 and ssmiami like this.
  39. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That was my concern. I have no idea if it was or not. IMO it only makes sense to do that if you have a guy who runs instead of going through his progressions. I never saw that tendency in RT. If anything, I would say it was the opposite, that he will hold the ball too long and try to make something happen back there when he should just run. IMO there is no benefit and considerable downside limiting him and coaching him to stay in the pocket.

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I just wouldnt label Bess serviceable as a three..I think if you have four guys that could be somewhat interchangable, would be the goal..

I really would like Jennings and a rookie and ill be happy.