1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List of Positives- WEEK 5

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Section126, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    1. Sean Smith deserves recognition. Yes, he got beat on a fade pattern. Perfectly thrown fade pattern to a top 5 (?) receiver. No defense for that. Pay that man his money, and get him a suitable partner opposite of him.

2. Ryan Tannehill...praise Jesus, Buddha, Allah, Dan Marino, Dwyane Wade. Did we really end our long local nightmare with a draft pick this year? I hope so. Looks really good so far.

3. Daniel Thomas played a very good overall game. His blitz pickups were good, and he took care of the football. His one cut style, didn't pay many dividends, as far as yards go though.

4. Reshad Jones has arrived. I thought we needed to replace both safeties at the start of the year. I was wrong. We need to replace one, and that one is coming along as well.

5. Karlos Dansby is quietly earning a pro bowl trip. Has the Middle Linebacker of the #1 rated run defense, ever been denied a pro bowl trip?

6. Koa Misi is very reliable, and fulfilling expectations. I would still like to see a bit more impact plays, but you can't complain about his play.

7. The best defensive line in football, remained the best defensive line in football. I am looking for one of the rotation guys to step up, and add comparable depth. Tony McDaniel looked good in that regard.

8. Richie Incognito had a rough time. Mike Pouncey however, did not. He never does. Gotta feel good about having that anchor to your offensive line for many years to come.

9. The Pro Bowl is a fraud (although it is the only true public measure of worth), and will continue to be a fraud if the Dolphins don't populate this year's AFC squad. They have that many top players at their position. I see Sean Smith, Mike Pouncey, Jake Long, Reggie Bush, Karlos Dansby, Cameron Wake, Randy Starks, Paul Solai, as guys that will get serious consideration, and then you have Brian Hartline Richie Incognito, Brandon Fields, and Reshad Jones that have outside shots at alternate spots.

10. Were close. Have you felt disappointed once this year? Is that a new Dolphin record? it's because of the EFFORT this team plays with. That is on Coach Philbin. I feel as if this team has given everything it has to give so far. Again, so far, so good, I like this coaching staff, especially Kevin Coyle. He is covering some real deficiencies in the back end, and AJ Green got one serious target over the top and that target should have been picked. The man can gameplan.

2. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    SSmith has been outstanding two weeks in row vs some stiff competition. Give Clemons his props too, Sean can't be as aggressive at the LOS vs guys like AJ Green w/o a reliable S having his back

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    You can really add to that list Sec in terms of players that have looked improved.

John Jerry..Nolan Carroll..Jimmy..Cam Wake..I think Jon Martin is improving.

4. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I would add that I think we need to find a defensive end. Not because I want to replace Odrick, but because I would like to see Odrick get some run at DT and have that flexibility.

The Defensive Line is stellar, but PAPER THIN.

Shelby, Vernon...STEP UP!

5. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Tannehill looks really good so far, I just want him to get some TD's; he deserves them lol...

HULKFish likes this.
  6. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    But not Jeff Ireland? ;)

7. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    even he couldn't screw that up.

8. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    But he certainly didn't lose yardage anywhere near as much as Reggie Bush and his non-one cut style.

9. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Sure he could've. He could've taken someone else.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Yeah I mean the issue with him is that his "good" is really still just "mixed". He had two, let's call it as it is, really good carries near the goal line. Really showed his physical impressiveness and how it can earn you tough yards when he's doing it right. The problem? Even if you take those two runs out since they were in very limited situations (goal line = capped YPC), he averaged 3.1 yards per carry. That's not "good". That's not even "mediocre". And then to top it all off, he gets himself hurt again. So if you're a player that, when you're low, you're really low, and when you're high, you're still just mediocre, and injured...I'm sorry but I think it's only a matter of time.

You witnessed two overtime defeats in a row to the Jets and Cardinals, and a blowout loss to the Texans, and you haven't been disappointed yet this year? Te salute, Don Corleone.

11. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    C'mon man they are both rookies. They're job is to help keep our main guys fresh w/o embarrassing themselves, I think they've done that so far.

12. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    You can make a very convincing case that we overachieved in those two OT losses. The Texans..I predicted a three Touchdown loss in the prediction thread.

Pandarilla likes this.
  13. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    The only guy he could have taken was Weeden, and that would have been ridiculous to do at #8.

14. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I thought Jonathan Martin played pretty well yesterday against Carlos Dunlap. Pretty impressed. Anyone know what happened to him at the beginning of the game? I was a little late arriving to my seat and noticed Nate Garner was playing RT the opening series (I missed the kickoff and the Dolphins first play).

CWBIII and Section126 like this.
  15. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    He could have signed Matt Flynn. He could have stuck with Matt Moore. He could have drafted Jake Locker a year ago, etc. Plenty of other scenarios that could have played out with the QB position.

HULKFish likes this.
  16. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I thought both the Jets and Cards games would be close losses.

17. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Obviously Philbin gave him the inside scoop on Flynn. On Tannehill, his scouts' work, and his coaching staff evaluation was pretty damn solid, to take him at #8 and make him the starter on opening day.

18. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Keep moving the goalposts. You're bound to confirm your own initial viewpoint somehow.

19. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Martin was in for at least the first play. I never noticed Garner, except when they used him as blocking TE at one point.

20. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

How could he have drafted Locker when he went 7 picks ahead of us? How do we know Ireland didn't try to trade up for him or Gabbert?

21. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I think this DL can make Brady weep.

22. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Section is the man, however, I wonder if he will ever find it in his heart to understand that Ireland was disabled by two major factors:
    The Henne 2009 effect, where the organization thought it found it's franchise QB and Captain Fist Pump.

Now that we finally have a legit QB and top tier coach, it's pretty amazing to see what the team is doing with less... Henne broke this franchise and our direction for 3 years, Tanny and Philbin will have us on our way to being a legitimate threat in the AFC within 6 months.

23. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You have to point out that it was Ireland who drafted Henne.

I think the Pro Bowl talk is a little premature, especially for guys like Sean Smith and Reshad Jones. I'm interested to see what happens when the Dolphins face another legit passing attack. They've only faced one so far.

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It has been 5 games. That is perfect time to start Pro Bowl talk.

25. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    In the 2nd round. During his first year following the Parcells code. And that pick looked AMAZING after 2009.

Not his fault that the coaching staff either failed to develop Henne the right way or Henne regressed.

26. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Less than half the season?

And if you'd read the second part of my post, you'd see my reasoning for it. Two blowout losses to New England where Brady has big games might change our opinions, no?

27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    About half way through to pro bowl voting starting. The season is over 1/4th done. This isn't baseball. Plus pro bowl voting will be mostly done by the time Miami plays New England.

28. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I don't believe in regression, or at least how it relates to Chad Henne. Teams and defenses make adjustments in the NFL. It's why Cam Newton is having a rougher go this year.

So you can't absolve Jeff Ireland there. If he gets credit for Tannehill, you have to say he missed on Henne.

mullingan likes this.
  29. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    so you list possible 12 names as potential pro bowlers and you also say ireland needs to go ?

shouright likes this.
  30. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That's when it starts, not when it finishes.

31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Even if it is when it finishes fan votes will be mostly counted.

5 games is the perfect time to start pro bowl talk.

32. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You can talk about it all you want but it doesn't change the fact that those guys have faced one legit QB.

Schaub, Palmer, Sanchez, Kolb, Dalton.

Even with Schaub, not exactly a murderers row. I'm excited with how they've performed overall, all things considered, but let's not jump the gun.

33. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I wouldn't be surprised either way, and I'm not predicting blowout btw. I do think they'll put up some points however.

34. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Well, considering the position that pick played yeah, it was pretty detrimental. Missing on one 2nd rounder in a vacuum isn't all that bad, but then you consider along with Henne you have Merling and Pat White, and suddenly a picture is painted.

That said, if Tannehill turns out to be a stud, none of it matters. Jeff Ireland could continue at the success rate he's at and the Dolphins will be OK. My hope is that Philbin's influence helps in that regard.

schmolioot likes this.
  35. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    If Tannehill is a hit, then that is an amazing success rate. Most GMs never find a franchise QB.

36. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Well, most GM's probably aren't around long enough to get a second chance either.

37. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    To be fair, Dalton was near top of the league before facing us.

RoninFin4 and MikeHoncho like this.
  38. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    True. I'm just not a fan. He's feasted on horrible defenses. He put up nice numbers against Cleveland, Washington and JAX.

39. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm not a fan either, TBH. But one thing to keep in mind is that there really aren't many quality defenses in the NFL these days. Most QBs face a lot of bad defenses.

40. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    He's a colossal screw up precisely because the team is littered with talent and it is still not a contender. The team is a mile wide and an inch deep. THAT is Jeff Ireland's fault. This team with a competent plugin QB, which Tanny is right now, should be clear cut favorites for a wildcard. it isn't. THAT is Jeff Ireland's fault.