1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List of Positives- WEEK 7

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Section126, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    1. Remember when we *****ed and complained about our special teams? (rightfully so, a man got fired over it). Well, it is time to praise Darren Rizzi, and the job he has done. This is the finest Dolphin special teams performance I can remember. It was a Gates return away from a perfect performance.

2. The entire Offensive Line. From Long to Martin, this is slowly turning into the best Dolphin unit since 2009, and likely to stick around much longer than that group, which makes them better. There are three legitimate pro bowl contenders in this group, and Jonathan Martin as a rookie, after a very rough start is slowly showing more promise.

3. Matt Moore. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't nervous when he checked in. I thought he was superb. The mere aggressiveness that our QB's play with now, shows the giant difference between the coaching staff we had, and the one we have now.

4. Brian Hartline played very well. His numbers don't necessarily scream out at you (4 for 41), but each of his catches were important, which suggests that he has gained a certain level of trust with the QB's, and for that he must be commended.

5. Anthony Fasano is like wallpaper. he is just there. reliable. Sure, I would like an upgrade, but it better be a clear upgrade, because there is something to be said for such a steady performer.

6. Reggie Bush (fumble ruined a solid day) and Daniel Thomas. Reggie got them for over 4 yards a carry, and Daniel Thomas, while not matching Reggie's production, ran very hard, and gained some tough yards. We have a good set of running backs, but I still feel that Lamar Miller can offer so much more. He has to be in the doghouse, right? No other explanation for it.

7. Jimmy Wilson has quietly gone unnoticed (which is very good) and then noticed in a good way yesterday. A keeper, best 4th CB in football? Name me one better.

8. Olivier Vernon. He has already showed more promise as a Dolphin than he did at THE U. Now he has a special teams TD as well. Anxious to see him progress.

9. The Front Seven. The very best front seven in football. The best DT tandem, along with a top 5 pass rusher (Wake), steady performers in Odrick, Burnett, and Misi, with a sprinkle of Karlos Dansby playmaking, makes up the teams most talented group. The Offensive line may have three pro bowl hopefuls, the front seven has 4. Edge: D-Line

10. Reshad Jones, heading a DB meeting on the sideline? Good to see. He is already turning the corner into keeper status, and if he can bring a little leadership to our young secondary, it can only help.

A beatdown of the Jets makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. The Miami Dolphins are clearly the second best team in the AFC East, and are gunning for #1. You gotta feel good about this.

firedan, Jed, Tone_E and 26 others like this.
  2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Been giving Rizzi credit for a while. The guy is as good as they come. He made Westhoff look like Bonamego.

3. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    One of the things I noticed was that the Offense did not seem to lose much at all when Tannehill went out and Moore came in. This somewhat reminds me (and I know it is very early in Tannehill's career to even suggest a comparison) of the capacity at backup the team had with Griese/Morrall, or Strock backing up Marino. I wonder what direction the debate between resigning Moore will take, and even if he would accept a contract knowing that the most likely probability is that he would be consigned to be the relief QB for Tannehill. So far he has looked to be very much a 'team' player, and the team could certainly use the skill level he displayed yesterday, and most of last year, in that capacity. The question is, how much would it cost, and would he accept that situation at any cost?

mnfinfan likes this.
  4. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I don't think I've ever seen Westhoff so defeated before. His units got destroyed.

phineas64 likes this.
  5. Loyal Fin

Loyal Fin Business as usual

Mar 22, 2008
    South Florida
    when section and hardcore are happy with dolphins on a monday morning, you KNOW Philbin is doing something right!!!!!

GridIronKing34 and Section126 like this.
  6. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Winning cures all. Beating the **** out of the Jets cures cancer.

7. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    So true.

Best part was watching Sparano sitting on the bench with Sanchez intently studying pictures and the play sheet.

Just a hilarious image

dolfan32323 likes this.
  8. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Like either of them have a clue.

Frumundah Finnatic and Conuficus like this.
  9. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Does anyone remember the last time we blocked a punt? I couldn't come up with it without Googling.

10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    good stuff... i said it in the gameday thread, and I'll repeat it here:

Lamar Miller must have littered in Joe Philbin's office to be treated this way. Not even garbage time carries.

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  11. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I think the O-line still suffers from occasional mental lapses. They are playing better, no doubt. Long has recouped from his poor start. Pouncy has continued his nasty playing. Martin has improved a lot.
    But overall, they still have plays where they just mess up. Tannehill injury was one of those.

They'll continue to get better. They sure have improved a lot since the start.

12. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Buffalo last year, no?

13. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Seems to me with Moore coming in and playing so well, we not only have solid talent at QB but the team stepped up their game as a unit and our coaching staff have all 53 men ready to step up.
    These guys all have each other's backs and we started Three rookies just on offense!
    Ireland drafted very well this year, we got the best possible HC and OC/DC/ST that I expect will take this team a long way.
    What really excites me is Ireland has the cap space to secure long term contracts for our solid players who need to be signed, leaving some cap space to go get one or two very solid players in need positions.
    Ireland also only has to get about 5 or 6 decent players in the draft. Has less areas of need so you can now start tweaking to get this roster to something actually quite special.
    Hoping we are now about to see Rex and Sparano implode and see both looking for jobs come January.
    If Ireland drafts as well this year with actually less glaring areas of need, we should be a top-tier team next season and for many years to come.
    NOW we can draft focusing on specific positions or even better, take the BPA to really get us headed to the SB!

14. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Didn't Jimmy Wilson or Chris Clemons block one last year against the Eagles?

15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clemons did.

16. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Last year against Buffalo. Clemons blocked it, Hilliard recovered for the TD.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Just touching on what Sec said about our front 7.... It's getting to the point where this unit and our efficient offense is becoming trustworthy, I don't know how the colts are going to run against us.

18. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Thank god we kept Rizzi on the staff.

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No. Thank Philbin. It was his call.

20. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i think the run d is not that sharp like some weeks ago...this is not a complain though

21. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Matt Moore is destined for a starting gig somewhere next year. Could be on the Jets.

Bpk likes this.
  22. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'm not convinced he's in the doghouse. More likely the staff feels that Bush and Thomas will make less mistakes and give us a better chance to win each week. we don't exactly have a high powered offense. We've seen that when we minimize mistakes we win, in games where we screw up we lose.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I thought it was sharp yesterday..Jets were calling running plays down three scores and us dropping to cover..it was the only times they got decent gains, strait up football, jets got dominated...Paul Solai eats mangold..always.

PhinGeneral likes this.
  24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Best case scenario...He doesn't want to start over, his wife and child love their home, we offer the best backup Qb contract in the league, and we continue to develop and showcase Devlin in the preseason for a future trade..

If Moore leaves and I were GM, I think I would go out and get a grizzled vet to backup and teach while promoting Devlin.

25. mracer

mracer New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I love you optimism but I definitely don't see 3 pro bowlers on the O-line. Who is the 3rd all pro on our line? Pouncey & Long are definitely all pro.

26. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I thought they looked fine. They choked them out in the first half when the game was being decided. Most of Greene's damage came on one 30+ yard run and a few runs when we were playing more of a prevent.

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  27. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I said "pro bowl contenders". I think Incognito qualifies.

28. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He does not.

29. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Gaffney had 2 targets and was wide open both times would love to see him get more involved moving forward

How deep is our Dline? Starks and McD went out and we did not miss a beat

Thought ST pretty much won the game for us, and yet another missed Fg by an opponent

Thought Thigpen's return was the perfect response to the Jests long drive, that is how you crush opponents.

That was a nasty, physical, game, when you watched the tackling heads were snapping BACKWARDS there was a ton of lumber being laid

How good does it feel to be over .500 at this point in a season? Seems like forever since we where in this situation.

ssmiami and dolfan22 like this.
  30. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I disagree.

xphinfanx likes this.
  31. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Do you disagree or did you mean to say you digress?

RevRick likes this.
  32. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I have a hard time seeing this playing out. Opportunities to start will be too much for him to pass up.

33. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Gaffney out performed Nannee by actually catching the ball.

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    then draft picks have to real high as well if I'm gonna get rid of him this year...no less than a 2nd.

35. KingofMiami

KingofMiami FINS ARE KING

Jan 29, 2010
    miami fl
    NOW this is a good thread.

36. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    No team in the league would trade a second for Matt Moore.

37. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Disagree.

I think Incognito is getting good pub on all the talking heads and analysts, and he is absolutely a pro bowl contender.

38. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I disagree just as vehemently.

39. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

But not even a series late in the 4th with the game in hand? He was our only active player who did not play even 1 snap on STs.

40. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

When Starks went out, McDaniel replaced him. Then, when McD got hurt, Starks came back in, and later McD was back in the game too.