1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List your favorite shows & mini series

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by ToddPhin, May 24, 2013.

1. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    You have to suspend all reality with Banshee. The violence is good, that they even have a wrap up show is laughable.

2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    IDK, I think Banshee does a good job putting a spin on Road House.

Has no one else run through the mini series Top of the Lake yet? I thought it was masterfully done and would love to hear what anyone thinks who has seen it.

Ditto goes for Rake [Australian]. This show should have a cult following here among you guys but still no one will step up and check it out to help get the ball rolling on it. :pity:

3. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Adding Portlandia and Marin to my list. Subtracting Louie. I'm tired of his act, particularly his guilty white bull****

Sent from my Note 3

4. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Top of the Lake was a ****ing goddamn masterpiece. Jane Campion is an underrated genius in her own time. That said, it is a lethal (for viewers here) combination of glacially slow and difficult to watch because of the content; plus, being American-minded, you want the characters to act just a bit more assertively when confronted by baddies. Even the ending...and then the ending; you kind of wish they'd paced that all better.

Still, though, a ****ing tour de force for our little Peggy and that cast of Kiwi misfits. Seriously, I'm so impressed with Elizabeth Moss that I don't know if I can separate her anymore from her character on MM.

Rake; I don't know. I'll need a running start for that one, I suppose. I have the Kinnear version queued but haven't gotten around to it. It'll be a while before I get through some of the really great Brit shows I also have queued.

It only took a few eps of Louie for me; this "comedy of discomfort" style is hard on me, makes me anxious and sets off my ailments. Same with Portlandia; love some of it (the BSG bit was one of the best moments of television ever) but it grates on me too.

ToddPhin likes this.
  5. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I see Portlandia like Mark McGuire. The home runs out weigh the strike outs

Sent from my Note 3

6. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    The American version of Rake is a waste of time. Greg Kinnear doesn't deserve to be within the vicinity of one of Richard Roxburgh's farts when it comes to playing this character. Plus the American version is on Fox which is a disservice to the unrated Aussie version that features lots of profanity, drinking, coke use, and sex, all to a level reminiscent of Hank Moody.

This show f***ing rocks. Pure brilliance. Nothing else like it for snappy, intelligent, adult comedy/drama on TV IMO. The closest is Californication.
    Here are a few quick scenes to showcase the genius that is Richard Roxburgh playing Cleaver Greene.

[video=youtube;2xZEJvDlOlg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xZEJvDlOlg[/video]
    [video=youtube;WkvXWOJZZpM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkvXWOJZZpM[/video]

MikeHoncho and NaboCane like this.
  7. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Youtube has all of season 1 I believe.

8. TheColossus

TheColossus NON !

Dec 6, 2009
    Dundee, Scotland
    Has anybody seen XIII: The Series ?

Is it any good ?

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Anybody else watch this and wish the diatribes had been delivered by Hugh Laurie, Robert Downey Jr or Benedict Cumberbatch?

cuchulainn and JPPT1974 like this.
  10. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Anyone watching Resurrection?

11. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 2022 Mother's Day and May Flowers!

Apr 15, 2012
    Greg Kinnear is more suited for movies than TV! That's just IMHO!

ToddPhin likes this.
  12. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    Re: List your favorite shows & mini series

I liked the first season and their mini series movie but it has different characters from the TV shows Second season sucked and poorly done and dragged out.

-Sent from my TMO Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

TheColossus likes this.
  13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Rowan Adkinson...

14. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yeah no. The only one of that trio capable of offering a diatribe that could stand up on its own to one of Roxburgh's is Cumberbatch. Anyone watching a Roxburgh diatribe and, rather than appreciating its beauty and perfection, wishes it were delivered by some other actor should probably retreat to America's Funniest Home Videos or something of that nature.

15. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I should give Top of the Lake another shot, stopped watching after the second episode because I thought it was dull and uninteresting.

16. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Such a promising show, that is pretty much destined to be cancelled. I really liked it, but it frustrated me as well, what with teasing major storylines and then never revisiting them again. For example, what the **** is the story with the big ****ing massive wall?! How they could go through a whole season without addressing that confounds me. I'm pretty sure we'll never know now.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  17. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    DaVinci's Demon is back. I've always love history and action TV shows like this.

I also liked Almost Human and hope it gets renewed too. So true about the Wall. I've always been curious to know about that and what's on the other side.

-Sent from my TMO Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Hmmm, I guess the ignore function stopped working.

But yeah, tell me again how the bad guy from Van Helsing and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is soooooooooooooo amazing. Clearly the greatest of our generation. Thank you for setting me straight.

I'm sure Hugh Laurie couldn't hold a candle to "Lawyer" House.

Seriously his Dracula in Van Helsing was the defining rendition.........

Forget that i wasn't saying **** about the Richard Roxburgh Greatest Actor of All Time, I was just saying how I'd like other actors' take on the lines....but by all means, Todd on.

19. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Yeah, like the Aussie Rake. Not so much with Kinear in this role. Agree on Cumberbatch.

Check out "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" with Kilmer and Downey Jr.

Entertaining and like only decent thing Kilmer has done in a decade.

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Love that movie. Agree on Kilmer...such a wasted talent. Few will agree with me, but its the curse of Oliver Stone...actors come away from his movies screwed up IMO.

cuchulainn likes this.
  21. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Indeed... definitely puzzling when a guy like Kilmer goes down the toilet and Cruise just keeps churning out rubbish. Speaking of which, still pissed about Cruise doing Jack Reacher... what a waste of a character...

Fin D likes this.
  22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I do my best to not watch Tom Cruise movies. I feel like if I did pay to see his stuff then my money helps fuel his insanity.

dolphindebby likes this.
  23. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    you mean GQ's 2012 Actor of the Year who won an AFI/AACTA Award [Aussie equivalent of an Oscar] and a Logie Award [Aussie equivalent of an Emmy] for Best Actor for Rake?

• and won 2 other AFI Awards for Best Actor for Hawke [2010] and Doing Time for Patsy Cline [1997]?
    • won another Logie Award for Most Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series for Blue Murder [1995]?
    • won the "Helpmann Award" for Best Male Actor in a Play for Toy Symphony [2008]?
    • won 3 "Sydney Theatre Critics' Circle Award" for Best Actor for Hamlet [1994] costarring Kate Blanchett & Geoffrey Rush, Uncle Vanya [2010] costarring Blanchett and Hugo Weaving, and The Homecoming [1992]? {that's a stage performance award}
    • won the "Verona Love Screens Film Festival" Award for Best Actor for Thank God He Met Lizzie [1997]? {international romance genre festival, with past winners such as Philip Seymour Hoffman, John Hurt, Woody Harrelson}
    • nominated for 2 AFI Awards for Best Lead Actor in a TV Drama for The Silence [2006] and Halifax f.p. [1995]?
    • nominated for AFI Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Lead Role for Passion [1999]?
    • nominated for AFI Award for Best Supporting Actor in Moulin Rouge [2001]
    • nominated for AFI Award for Best Supporting Actor in a TV Drama for False Witness [2009]?
    ...you mean the same thespian who graduated from the prestigious National Institute of Dramatic Art and is one of Australia's most esteemed stage and screen actors? That guy? Yeah he's terrible. That's a total of 13 different roles that Roxburgh either won an award for or was nominated for. Amusing that you bring up American Hollywood'ized movies like Van Helsing and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen as the stuff to identify a critically acclaimed actor by. If a writer/director creates a weak character, there's no saving it. But I guess you're limited to whatever pirated movies make their way around the park though eh.

What has your esteemed Hugh Laurie accomplished besides House? Has he even shown that he can act in a different role other than Dr Gregory or a voice over for a children's movie? At least Richard Roxburgh didn't do Spice World.

24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yup, he's the GOAT. You schooled me. There's never been anyone better. The Australian combo Oscar-Emmy is the greatest of all acting awards.:pity:

Of course he couldn't hold a candle to Laurie's House. I mean they are completely different roles, I'm sure there's no way Laurie could play a brilliant but morally bankrupt & seriously flawed individual who struggles with addiction and enjoys pissing people off and putting the people who still cares about him through the ringer. And play it so well he'd be awarded and receive accolades or anything. No way he could do that.

But hey, I still was only wondering what other actors would do with those lines, but...Roll Todd, Roll.

25. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Kilmer went down the toilet because he now looks like Jabba the Hutt's ugly cousin

26. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Well, there's that now. lol... before that though he was known to be arrogant and difficult to work with. He ruined his stock with his boorish behavior.

"There are two things I will never do in my life. I will never climb Mount Everest, and I will never work with Val Kilmer again. There isn't enough money in the world . . . I don't like Val Kilmer, I don't like his work ethic, and I don't ever want to be associated with him again . . . Will Rogers never met Val Kilmer." ~ John Frankenheimer

"Val is the most psychologically troubled human being I've ever worked with. The tools I used to work with him--tools of communication, of patience and understanding--were the tools I use on my five-year-old godson. Val is not just high-strung. I think he needs help. I say this to you only because I have said it to him." ~ Joel Schumacher

“You are confusing your talent with the size of your paycheck.” ~ Marlon Brando

I think his most memorables roles are as Doc Holliday in "Tombstone", and Iceman in "Top Gun". I also enjoyed him as an imaginary Elvis in Tarantino's "True Romance", a real gem of a movie, which starred Christian Slater, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Brad Pitt, and James Gandolfini among other notables...

Bpk likes this.
  27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How dare you leave off Real Genius! How dare you, sir, how dare you!

Unlucky 13, Bpk and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  28. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    lol... right... Comedies aren't really my genre tho. I find most too overly stupid for me to enjoy more than a scene or two, especially if the comedy feels forced upon me. Probably my favorites are "Caddy Shack", and Dark Comedies like "Bad Santa", and "Ruthless People"...

29. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I remember him more for Ghost and the Darkness and Willow than Top Gun. But he definitely peaked in Real Genius.

30. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    [​IMG]

31. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Whoa, how 'bout AMC's Halt and Catch Fire, eh?! What a pilot. I was like a crackhead, yappin' at the television when it seemed like the episode was about to fade, "C'mon, just give me five more minutes, just five more goddam minutes".

To me it's reminiscent in style to Mad Men but with a Breaking Bad vibe b/c of the dual protagonists with both characters working together to create something for profit and not abiding by the law to do so. It's got BB's enjoyable edginess as well. Wonder if AMC took BB's model of success and used it to create a blueprint for this show.

32. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    have you kept up with this show? If you have, is it worth the watch?

33. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    The wife lives orange is the new black. I think it's just OK.

I have only seen 4 episodes but I really like house of cards.

Sent from my Note 3

34. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I watched the first episode and then quit on it. It seems like the kind of show that's going to require a lot of work just to suspend disbelief, and I'm not in the mindset for it just now. Maybe later.

It seems to be getting some good reviews.

ToddPhin likes this.
  35. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I am enjoying this, 2 episodes in. I just wish it wasn't shot so dark. I recall the 80s being a more vibrant time. I'd also like to see the time period come into play more cinematically, like the early goings of Madmen.

ToddPhin likes this.
  36. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    watched episode 2 last night. back to back weeks now of begging the show for just 5 more friggin minutes. Sign of a superior show as far as I'm concerned. I actually don't mind the darkness b/c it mimics or accents the initial personality of the show. I thought the time period matches up fairly well, but then again I was 6 when the 80's began, so...

Regardless, 2 episodes and I suddenly find myself not missing the loss of Breaking Bad as much.

37. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Anyone else looking forward to The Strain this Sunday?

38. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    'The Fall' from BBC2.

Oh.

My.

GOD!

ToddPhin likes this.
  39. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yes. yes. Right?!

I splooged about that show last year and begged others to watch it but all I got was crickets. except for ClarkKent who I don't think gave it enough time to get hooked.
    That's some true s*** right there. Perfection.

40. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    UH. MA. ZING!

I was devastated in E5; new season has been in production since January, I think, so any week now.

Can't say enough good about this show. I stayed in Ireland for the next one, too—'Jack Taylor'. Much more rough-and-tumble, being based on a series of detective novels.

ToddPhin likes this.