Living in Mexico
2 replies
Pretty much know nothing of the context of living in Mexico for say 4 to 6 months , give or take.
Deciding if I should go to live for several months in Mexico , I see lots of seemingly really nice/acceptable monthly rentals for a very reasonable ( read inexpensive ) cost. Kind of looking at a place like Rosarito Beach which is a bit south of Tijuana . I would prefer a place fairly close to go into the US and close enough to nice water.
Legally what does this entail? Now I am Canadian , but do I need to arrange any special visa as opposed to just my passport? Can I take and drive my vehicle ?
The weather differences this time of year are certainly in Mexico's favour and the cost is much more than affordable , at a stage where I can do this if the cost is as is and there aren't any really negatives. I understand you have to prudent with areas etc . but I am also not paranoid .
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

It might be helpful...:dunno:
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/mexico-mexique/consul/visas.aspx?view=d
Visas for Mexico
Canadians travelling on regular Canadian passports do not require visas to enter Mexico if the purpose of their trip is tourism and the stay does not exceed 180 days (a fee is applicable if entering by land. For those travelling by air the fee is included in the price of the plane ticket).
However, all Canadians entering Mexico either by plane or land should have a tourist card filled out and have it stamped at their first port of entry. When entering by land, you will have to go to the immigration booth located at the border crossing. When entering by plane and transiting through Mexico City, your tourist card should be stamped in Mexico City before boarding towards your final destination.
Do not assume that you will be automatically granted the maximum validity period of 180 days. If your tourist visa was issued for less than 180 days, you might be able to have it extended at the nearest Immigration office (fee applicable).
For tourist visa extensions and replacements:
If you want to extend your stay in Mexico, please contact the nearest Mexican Immigration office directly to apply for a visa extension.
Only found this about vehicles.
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/mexico-mexique/consul/customs-douanes.aspx#Mexico
Temporary Importation of Vehicles
Information on how to obtain a temporary importation permit when entering Mexico by land can be found in the website of Customs Mexico.
If you reside in Canada, you can apply for a temporary importation permit on the Internet from 10 to 180 days before your trip.
If you did not apply for a permit in advance, please note that, when entering Mexico, you must stop at the Banjercito CIITEV modules -that can be located 5 to 15 miles after the border crossing - in order to obtain your Temporary Import Permit.
When you leave Mexico, you have to register the return of your vehicle when crossing the border. When leaving Mexico, you must stop at any Banjercito CIITEV module - sometimes located 10 to 15 miles before the border crossing. You will have to present the vehicle you entered Mexico with and the Temporary Import Permit in order to register the vehicle as having returned to the country of origin. A return certificate will be issued.
:up:
![]()
Thanks , I did see an article about taking your vehicle into Mexico , it seems to be permisable with a minimum amount of red tape.
So that is good , don't want to be vehicle less or have to buy another one in Mexico , and I would not be there for more than 180 days , I am seriously looking at going for say 4 months and then come back to Canada. See how it goes and if it goes well do that again next year.
One thing I would need would be internet and tv where I could get some preferred channels , mostly would want to be able to get things like NHL center ice so I can follow hockey , a small self indulgence , other than that would be more than ok to simplify life for several months.
If anyone has experience would appreciate any feedback.
Cheers !
