1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lombardi believes our team will fail...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DOLPHANITY, Aug 9, 2011.

1. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    I can't, I have 4 of my trucks to fill, and can only find 3 vehicles for one truck and 1 truck for another of them, and I am pissed off about it.

2. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    He can't be jesus....we lose too much.

Bpk likes this.
  3. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Look this is psych 101. Some people are glass half full people. They have optimism, they want to feel like there is a chance until proven wrong and even them they look for the positives in what happened. Some are glass half empty. They like to point out the negatives. They go into things with low expectations so if that is how it ends they feel prepared. Its easier on your psyche of you expect the worse and get the worse. They also tend to be the "i told you so" crowd. Either way is not wrong, personal preference.
    I personally am a glass half full person, and I am pretty tired of the homer label. Just because I dont talk about the bad parts of this team 24/7, doesn't mean I don't realize there might be weaknesses. Just seems like the glass half Full people are as little more willing to look at both sides. You have people like omar kelly who are half empty people who when henne looks folios in the scrimmage decides to not talk about the qb position for a week. Or people who said its just a scrimmage instead of saying yeah henne actually did a pretty good job today.

MrClean likes this.
  4. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    when parcells was here, he was always pro miami, guess he jumped of the badwagon since then

CaribPhin and Frayser like this.
  5. electrolyte

electrolyte New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    At our worst, this is a 4-7 win team.

At our best, this is a 8-9 win team.

Either way, we miss the playoffs, and we are back at square one in the off-season. Hopefully Brandon Marshall doesn't implode after a second season of irrelevance and low production, and we will see how Sparano tries to spin it again. Henne will finally put the nail in the coffin and remove all doubt - he is not a starting QB in this league. Daniel Thomas will have a decent season for a rookie, Reggie Bush will make a few nice highlights but get injured and miss a few games. We will all talk about how Reggie Bush is not an "every down" RB.

We win some, lose some, miss the playoffs.

If by some miracle, we squeek into the playoffs past NE and NYJ, we are first round target practice.

Our draft position will not be high again, due to our "we aren't the worst team in the league but we can't compete for a Super Bowl either" 5-7 wins team. Which means we won't be able to draft the potential franchise QB's that go in the first 5 picks of Round 1. Knowing Sparano, we will probably just grab another position that is not QB with our 1st rounder. Maybe a lineman. or a defensive player.

After the draft, Henne is up for trade, and the Dolphins try to sign a QB that another team threw away... maybe via FA or via trade. We will get a 2nd tier QB if we get lucky. Most likely, we get some 3rd tier QB or a young unproven guy with potential to compete against Henne.

That's our season in a nutshell. :rimshot:

6. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    .....It's why we play the game!...

TiP54 likes this.
  7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    It's funny how Michael Lombardi has been a hero when he's backed the Dolphins in 2009 and 2010. Now he tells people what problems he sees with what the Dolphins are doing, and he's a ****ing idiot.

Guess that's what he gets for having an opinion. Fanboys only want one opinion, the opinion that supports the team.

8. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't think he's a ****ing idiot. I just wonder if he would still have these criticisms if Parcells was still here.

MrClean and Bpk like this.
  9. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    What team doesn't have IFs, did you predict the packers would win the SB.
    At this point you can't tell but for sure the team is better than last year, but all you hear is so negative it feels like the political environment in DC.
    I think the Fins will surprise, I'm up north listening to the Bills radio station and they were talking like their challenge was to beat the Patriots as far as they were concerned there was nothing to worry about with the Fins they saw them as a complete mess.
    Have you heard about the scrimmage and Henne no they talk about how Tebow may be a good thing in Miami.

10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    We also beat the Jets in their house last year. Our defense was better than theirs. And Brandon Fields had a Reggie Roby like afternoon. All this was just last year. Lets see. Defense is virtually the same as last year in personnel. Same defensive coordinator. The only player not there is Crowder. Offensively, can we get worse?

11. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Ayup.

Don't get me wrong I'd love for the light to come on for Henne, the line to gel, etc etc.

But it seems like there are a lot here that just find it inconceivable some of these things are in legitimate doubt.

12. electrolyte

electrolyte New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Nope, I didn't. but that's what happens when you have an elite Quarterback. You have a chance.

DolfanJake likes this.
  13. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    These criticisms from him aren't really anything new. He's never really been a Chad Henne fan, and I'm not sure how anyone can say the RB isn't a wildcard at this point.

Sceeto likes this.
  14. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

When Michael Lombardi speaks about Miami , I listen.

He may not be right but he isn't MR. Negative re Miami , just look back to what he said this time last year about Miami and Miami's chances.

For me he is at the top of the list of journalists to respect for NFL opinions. Remember this is a guy who was a long time NFL executive , he isn't espousing things he has little or no knowledge of.

He also said that Orton was not nearly as good an option as some people made him out to be and did an exhaustive study on his performance and his statistics . He didn't just bellow and let off steam . He didn't this time either. Now he may be wrong , but until he is i believe in what he says.

I want DThomas to be a big time bonafide back , I truly do , not sold that is happening though. However I do feel Bush if he stays healthy will be used properly and have a big impact . Lombardi is right if he states Reggie isn't an every down feature back , we all know that. He can and will get his touches and will have success imo. He has to be used right and remain healthy.

Don't shoot the messenger.

MrClean and Stringer Bell like this.
  15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Problem with his view on DTrain is, there has been no evidence that his fumbling issue has followed him to the NFL, that is why I say he has jumped the gun on him, and on Henne and to a lesser extent, Reggie Bush, imo his view is sort of groupthinking that pervades the NFL at this time of yr.

How the NFL Media approaches things:

-if it was a positive in College, it does not count in the NFL until they show they can do it in the NFL
    -if it was a negative in College, it does follow them to the NFL

-If a player was not used in a given role before, assume they will fail

-Qb's are not likely develop...until they prove otherwise

This is one of the reasons why I love CFL to NFLers D22, it messes up their template as they do not know enough about the CFL to merely fill in the blank.

16. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Pad, Reggie bush has never actually been all that successful as a RB at the NFL level. He's had his moments as a jack of all trades, but he is not a guy who has proven that he can actually be effective running the ball.

The more attempts he has, the worse his YPC gets. This is not a small sample size. It's a five year sample. Reggie Bush simply has never been effective in the role we seemingly want to use him in.

DolfanJake likes this.
  17. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I can't believe no one's defending Dolphan Jake!!! The guy thinks we're gonna be bad this year. That is a valid opinion. And he's getting trashed and ridiculed. That's some garbage!

18. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The problem is really how Thomas holds the ball. Its not the way you teach RBs to hold the ball. Thats really the only evidence we have to work with at this point unfortunately.

19. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I think its also prudent to point out that Lombardi has said Daniel Thomas will probably be the best RB out of this class. So he isn't completely down on him.

20. dolfan22

Or reevaluated.

What is fail? Is it fail to make the playoffs? Who REALISTICALLY thinks Miami will make the playoffs? I sure as heck hope so , I sure as h*ll don't expect it though .

DolfanJake likes this.
  21. dolfan22

LOVE the retro Blackwood Brothers !

22. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

GM, you can call it a pessimistic view, but the facts are that several of those 'IFs" have to pan out for us to see improvement, much less make the playoffs. Yes, you can poke holes in every team and the fact is that EVERY team thinks it has what it takes to make the SB this coming season this time of year. I was just explaining [what I think] the reasons that Lombardi has a pessimistic view of our team.

DolfanJake likes this.
  23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He also has been used a the Tailback in the I, and he rarely has many carries.

If you have a Rb that you think is a home run hitter, you have to keep giving him the ball until he hits one so to speak, NOLA RBC meant he had a handful of carries.

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, and from what Sparano was saying he and the Falcons' HC may work out some things they want to see their squads do, for example trying to block kicks.

I'm sure the falcons will make it a point to try and strip the ball, and that is one of the reasons why I think Lombardi is merely parroting as he has no evidence one way or another, he is premature in his view point.

25. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I don't have a problem with a prediction of failure, but I'm not sure Lombardi's specific criticisms will bear out.
    • All indications are we're not counting on Reggie Bush to be "a star."
    • Thomas's fumbling is a concern, but when you look at his college career, there seems to be a spike last year rather than a two-year trend. So there's room for doubt as to how much of a problem this will be.
    • Early evidence indicates the new offense is helping Henne.
    • Colombo's health is a wait-and-see situation.

MrClean likes this.
  26. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Lombardi is actually one of my favorites on NFL Network for his spot-on insights into front office workings, but I have found that I often disagree with his player evaluations. He certainly had some failures there as a GM. That's part of the reason why he is no longer a GM. (The other reason is Al Davis).

As for his comments in that segment, which I did see, I do think Henne will improve in a better system and I'm not that worried about Thomas' fumbling as that is correctable. I do agree that Bush is not an every down back, but I heard Sparano say "early" down back not "every" down back. Now Sparano is talking about the importance of getting Bush the ball in space vs. just handing it to him. So I'm not sure how they plan to use him. I don't love Columbo at RT (I wouldn't be surprised if LM takes the job), but I do love VC at RG. If Lombardi had evaluated him in college he would know that there VC was a good RT but a dominant RG.

MrClean and Bpk like this.
  27. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Until we do anything to prove him wrong......

You cant really say anything he has to say is inaccurate. We dont have any real evidence of the contrary. Now...do I believe he will be proven wrong? Yes...I do. But...back to back 7-9 seasons puts you in the position to just sit and listen.

28. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    And some people think world is a perfect and happy place. It may be easier to be negative and down but in your case, it's hard to accept reality.

DolfanJake likes this.
  29. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I disagree. Say I flip a coin twice and it end up tails and am about to flip a coin again. (And in this case I'm even changing the method of the flip) Lombardi predicts it will be tails again and somebody else predicts heads. Nobody has to just sit and listen to Lombardi. His opinion is no more valid than any other. Now if somebody has studied the coin and the method of the flip more, they may have more info and a more reasoned opinion. I could see people giving that opinion more weight. Based on Lombardi's comments, I see no reason to believe that he knows more about this team or it's players than many here.

djphinfan likes this.
  30. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    There is plenty of reason to believe Mike Lombardi knows more about NFL players and teams than people here. Just experience alone, not to mention he has access to resources nobody here has.

Aquafin, Sceeto and DolfanJake like this.
  31. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think he brings up great points. And contrary to most non-believers, he's not just utterly focused on the quarterback as being the primary issue. Here are my problems with the team:

1. Quarterback. I won't get into it.

2. Reggie Bush. As Michael Lombardi says, Reggie Bush is not a very good ball carrier. Yes, he'll catch the ball. We know. But they're also going to have him run the ball more than the Saints had him doing. They're talking about getting him 16 touches a game. That means 10 to 12 carries per game for a guy that averages 3.4 yards per carry on grass. Oh, and of course, he's got a wrecked knee and can't stay healthy even with the marginal amount of workload the Saints have been giving him, which the Dolphins plan to increase. And what about those catches? Keep something in mind. In the NFL you want to shoot for about 8 yards per attempt on your passes, if not more. Any time you're throwing to Reggie Bush is a 6.0 yard per attempt throw. That's the average, even in New Orleans where he had EVERYTHING going for him. Throwing the ball to Reggie brings your averages DOWN, makes your passing game LESS efficient. So, you need to pick your situations and reasoning for throwing the ball to him wisely. You need to do it because it keeps defenses honest. You need to do it to convert third downs. You need to do it to score touchdowns. I'll leave it up to you whether you trust the Miami Dolphins coaches and quarterbacks to handle that fire without getting burned. I know what I think.

3. Daniel Thomas. He's a rookie 2nd/3rd rounder who only has two years of experience at tailback. He's a power runner with less than ideal pad level, that didn't get a whole lot of yards after contact in college, could be stoned by linebackers regularly without falling forward at all, and would often get only about an extra yard when tackled by DBs. He had some fumbling issues in college, and you can't tout the guy having not fumbled the ball in practice when a bunch of these practices don't even include pads anymore, don't involve much (if any) hitting, and do not involve ANY tackling. That's the most useless thing to point out, IMO...that he hasn't fumbled in practice. Everyone ALWAYS overrates rookie runners. They swear there's no learning curve. They're wrong. Sorry, that's just the way it is, they're wrong. There is a perceptible learning curve and I don't expect him to be a very efficient ball carrier as a rookie, especially since he's so raw. And considering this is only his third year being a true tailback, having previously been a JUCO Wildcat QB...would it surprise me if he has weird hiccups like fumbles on exchanges and stuff that you'd normally not think to be a problem? Hell, it'd surprise me if he DIDN'T have stuff like that happen.

4. Tight End. I'm sorry but with Charles Clay working most at fullback and being listed as a fullback, we have as much of a #2 TE problem this year as we did a year ago, with the terrible trio of Mickey Shuler, Jeron Mastrud and Dedrick Epps "competing" for snaps. None of them are even good blockers! And what if Anthony Fasano takes a step backward, as he did in 2009 when he seemed to drop everything thrown to him and just didn't look focused? Oh and as for Charles Clay himself...SIXTH ROUND ROOKIE. Try and look at that objectively for a second, please. Imagine last year that you're listening to a fan of the Rams talk about what a difference maker Fendi Onobun is going to be for the offense. What would you think about that?

5. Guard. Richie Incognito is really only an average player and he does nothing in space. Vernon Carey is a better player, but he also does nothing in space. This was a big problem for the Dolphins' ground attack in 2010, the inability of the guards to make second level blocks. How is that improved with a combination of Carey and Incognito? The answer is, it's not. It remains a problem. Meanwhile, supposedly the Dolphins are installing more zone plays, which require your players to get on the move and out into space more, making second level blocks so that your back can find cutback lanes. Last year the Dolphins' Guards were inadequate in space even with the old style run plays. The new style run plays could expose them to their inadequacies even more.

6. Right Tackle. Marc Colombo. Ray Willis. Not saying any more than that. Hopefully they start Nate Garner either at LG or RT. But I wonder if they're smart enough to do that.

7. Pass Rush. One of my biggest fears over a defensive backslide was related to what happens when/if Cameron Wake starts getting game planned more, taking him out of the pass rush equation. Players have breakout years and then follow up with a down year ALL THE TIME. It's no new phenomenon. Who picks up the slack? I don't believe Koa Misi is in position to do that yet, and I have ZERO faith in Jason Taylor as a good pass rusher. He hasn't been a good pass rusher in years. Oh, and what's this I hear about JT taking 1st team reps in practice ahead of Misi? Yeah, cuz THAT worked out BEAUTIFULLY in 2007 and 2009.

8. Football IQ. Disagree all you want, but when you take Channing Crowder off the table, you lose Football IQ. He's replaced with Kevin Burnett, whom I saw with my very own eyes getting told where to be and being scolded after plays in San Diego by Stephen Cooper, who was the brains of that LBs group (Ron Rivera says Cooper the smartest player he's ever coached). People say oh well now that just means Dansby steps up. I got news for you, Crowder's Football IQ and film prowess were no hindrance to Dansby. He had as much chance to step up and be a smart player with Crowder as he will without him. In fact I believe when you get two smart, communicative guys like that together, they're smarter together than they are apart. I don't think Kevin Burnett walks in with Crowder's Football IQ and that concerns me because it could mean holes start opening up in the ground defense, which would take away some of those choice opportunities for our pass rushers and play makers to make plays against the passing game in pressure situations. Kevin Burnett is not as good against the run as Crowder was. And evidently he's also got his own injury problems same as Crowder did. What I didn't want the defense to do is **** with the formula. Make sure your pass rush can keep an even keel even when Wake starts getting more attention, let your growing players in the secondary grow into better play makers, and you'll be a better defense. **** with the formula, and you might be a worse defense. The Dolphins ****ed with the formula.

9. Safety. Yeremiah Bell is old, and he's got an injury history. I guess I'm the only one worried about this? There's a sense among the coaches that Chris Clemons may have gotten away with some things last year that he might not get away with this year. I'd keep an eye on this one because the Dolphins have been putting band-aids on a staph infection in the form of 6th and 7th round picks (Chris Clemons, Reshad Jones, Jimmy Wilson) and it wouldn't exactly shock me if problems start to emerge because of that.

10. Special teams. Jon Amaya and Tim Dobbins good special teams players in 2010. Both are gone. As is Patrick Cobbs, who was another good special teams player. And last I checked, John Bonamego's assistant who took over in his place, hasn't exactly proven himself to be an awesome special teams coach. This area has been a CONSTANT problem in the Sparano/Ireland reign...so why do we assume that it'll get better? Especially when some of your best special teams players were just given the boot?

This doesn't mean the Dolphins don't have good things going for them. Of course they do. I think the Dolphins' WRs are going to be better than ever, I think the DL is going to be better than ever, and I think the corners are going to be better than ever. And if the Dolphins can avoid a losing streak, I think Henne could be better than he has been in the past, especially with the help from the receivers.

Aquafin, ssmiami, MrClean and 9 others like this.
  32. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    But he and every national reporter spends less time analyzing any one team and their players than many here. I have worked in the system and just like any industry, there are many people with official experience and no real talent. Mel Kiper was once nothing more than a fan. His "experience" was unofficial so people doubted him. Now he's an "expert". Is he any better as an analyst now than he was before the media labeled him an "expert"? IMO that's debatable. I do not agree that when it comes to the narrow area of player evaluation that every guy on TV or every guy that has some official experience knows more than some people here.

MrClean likes this.
  33. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    We aren't talking about Mel Kiper here. We're talking about Michael Lombardi. This is a guy that learned under Bill Walsh and Bill Belichick. I'm not sure exactly why you assume he does anything less than watch every single snap of every game. Not to mention he's watching from the coach's tape. I'm not sure I'd lump Lombardi into the generic national reporter group.

DolfanJake and Sceeto like this.
  34. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

My point...is that after two 7-9 seasons...you've given nothing to the so called experts to make them believe you aren't gonna continue that trend. I believe Chad Henne is gonna have a great year. But...to be honest....there is no doubt factual evidence to point to the contrary. I think alot of his problems last season were beyond his control. But the only one thing you can say definitively, is that he played bad last season.

So...Im not saying anyone has to agree with Lombardi. Not at all. But...its hard to argue against anything he has to say....with anything other then "beliefs"....and that isnt gonna win you very many arguments.

But...it also he could end the season with alot of egg on his face. THAT will be the time to take some satisfaction from he being wrong.

35. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Then explain why the Texans, annually, are called a "dark horse"? They have had 7-9 seasons for yrs, and yet there they are?

Because that is their perception in the NFL media, this is how that works.

Now we all have watched dozens of NFL games from start to finish, discussed the Dolphins ad nauseum during several preseasons, how many times does a single point of *****ing, and moaning, amount to much of anything once the season begins?

"Oh, the #2 Te is sort of weak"

Yeah, the game hinges on the #2 Te, or the performance of the Returner, or the RT, or what have you, the plain fact is we discuss singular players, games are won and lost by entire units, on the field, when Benny Sapp picks off a pass for example, all of the "he is the weak sister of the secondary" means nothing at all, I chuckle when some expect perfection in any given unit..:lol:

Ain't no team perfect on all 53 roster slots.

36. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    To be fair, Lombardi has been pretty down on the Texans.

37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I care.

Point being is one should never listen to ANY NFL media types until the season starts, all they have atm is opinion and filler.

38. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Coming from aguy who seemingly loved every move we made in the past thats suprising. I guess since mantits isnt here he jumped ship.

Section126 and ckparrothead like this.
  39. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    My thoughts are this....

I'm an avid and I mean avid lifelong fan of this team but I have little issue with anything Lombardi states and his doubt in the team.

Bush has never been a full time star in the NFL. He's a situational weapon and even in that role he's failed to hold up and stay healthy. It would be absurd for anyone to think he is an answer as a feature back.

Daniel Thomas is a rookie. He is an unknown right now so a team EXPECTING and RELYING on him is a mistake bottom line.
    Lex Hilliard who they seem to have pegged as being an equal or better option than Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams or any of the FA backs that were available had better deliver. If he dosen't our RB situation will be a complete and utter disaster and Ireland will look the fool.

Henne is a gamble like any young QB. We all know that. I'm bullish on him making progress but as an analyst looking over a teams roster you cannot call Henne anything more than a question mark.

Colombo is sub par whether healthy or not so in my mind health isn't even the question. Our FO has attempted to fix the RG position weakening the RT position. Strange strategy indeed and another area where the FO will look foolish if the interesting moves don't work out.

Throw in the FO's indifference to even considering upgrading the #2 WR spot or TE spot to help the young QB who is clearly in a do or die year and you've got the makings of an offense that no one has any idea what level of effectiveness it can reach.

Lombardi assessment is more than fair.
    I hope it's wrong but it's fair.

Aquafin, MrClean, PhinGeneral and 2 others like this.
  40. dolfan22

Agreed that no team is perfect for all 53 of course , to counter what you said though about one player/area ... Miami got torched because they could not handle TE's repeatedly. A positive change in that regard would have made a substantive difference the last 2 years , imo.