1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lombardi Documentary on HBO

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    2 minutes in, hearing the other-worldly voice of John Facenda, chills. And they continue throughout.

Facenda: "Lombardi ... A certain magic still lingers in the very name. It speaks of duels in the snow and cold November mud."

The HBO special should be mandatory viewing for ever NFL fan.

His Bio, "When Pride Still Mattered" is also a classic.

No matter what team you are a fan of, this is classic on - without doubt - the greatest and most mythical football coach in all of history.

Vince Lombardi is the centerpiece of the National Football League. As a young man who began playing little league football while Lombardi was still coaching - though he had switched to the Redskins - in an era when the phrase, "Green Bay Packers," epitomized the greatest team in sport, Lombardi, for me, remains the name that stood for the NFL. In many ways, the great Dolphin teams of the early 70's and the Steelers of the same era were the disciples of the great Packer teams - their systems and styles were the next generation of precision and physical football that the Packers perfected (As an aside, I don't think there is a better era for football than the decades of the 60's and 70's in terms of how the game was played in all its toughness and purity).

I'm sure it's also in part the greatness of his coaching; but surely there will never be a name that flows off the tongue that could ever represent toughness, competitiveness and the very essence of physical football than the name: Vince Lombardi. God rest his soul.

Conuficus, Bpk and djphinfan like this.
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Thanks man. I love Lombardi, so I'm looking forward to watching this.

3. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    If you really want to dig into some old style football raf
    wrap your mind around full color football history of the AFL
    Good stuff. :up:

4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    excellent documentary on HBO

5. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Great piece, saw it last night. Great work, I love that stuff. Even my wife watched it.

6. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Whole program was excellent. Tragic ending. But, I loved the segment where Madden was talking about going to a one-day Lombardi coaching clinic and that he spoke for eight hours on one play - the power sweep. Madden said he walked away thinking, "I don't know anything about football." Can you imagine sitting in on that - hearing him talk for eight hours about one play? Awesome.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    padre31 likes this.
  8. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Didn't know he was bi-polar. Family paid a price for his obsession. And that obsession, perhaps a little autistic? Had some great sayings though...

Personal favorite..."Gentlemen we will relentlessly pursue perfection. Although we will never achieve it because it cannot be achieved. In our "relentless" pursuit we will achieve excellence." Or something similar to that.

9. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Excellent piece. As a coach, motivator, and teacher he probably is unparalleled. His beliefs in his values were unmovable but it is sad that his family seemed to suffer for his love of the game. The part about him taking over the basketball program and winning a championship just by reading a book speaks volumes to his understanding of strategy and motivational skills. I do imagine he was consumed by fear of failure.