1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lombardi: Jets need Cassel - Not Likely To Happen

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by anlgp, Feb 7, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

2. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Kellen Clemens > Chad Henne.

Cassel would be nice, but I have full faith in Kellen Clemens. Hopefully Rex Ryan & Co will have the same feeling soon enough.

3. anlgp

I think it's strange that people are passing good or bad judgement on chad henne already when we haven't seen enough of him play yet.

Those are your hopes, maybe?

late again likes this.
  4. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    I saw him play four years with my collegiate football program.

He's more Henson & Griese than he is Brady, I'll tell you that much. :)

5. anlgp

College and the NFL are different.

Explain the busts in NFL history. Why were they so good in college but not in the NFL?

6. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana

Eh, I am a BIG 10 guy too, and I would say that given any reasonable way to project college QB's into the NFL and Henne is a much better prospect than Griese or Henson. Brady is an anomoly, no one and I mean NO ONE would've ever thought Brady was possible to accomplish what he has at the NFL level, given what he did in college(BB and Pioli aside i guess but not really given where they drafted him).

ASUFinFan likes this.
  7. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Chad Henne was a four year starter who when healthy was a great college QB.

8. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    He was far from great, he was good at his best. He also never won the big game. Never.

His best game was his last ever game against Florida, hey, his only bowl win.

Thanks Chad.

Pass.

9. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    :sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol:

this from the guy who thought the Jests would make a deep play-off run.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  10. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    You Jet fans live to annoy

11. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Thanks to mostly Mangini & a little bit of Favre, we didn't, but at 8-3, don't tell me for a second you didn't think we'd be there.

Don't be a dick tonight seth. ;)

12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, one thing is certain, Clemons will be starting before Henne will this season, one of the downsides of the whole Favre thing.

No worries though, Byron Leftwich will be a fine Qb for the Jets...or maybe Kyle Boller....(snicker)..

124 likes this.
  13. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    :lol:

I wouldn't mind Leftwich. I know the whole slow release deal, but if Faneca & Ferguson protect him, who cares?

Kyle Boller? :pity:

I wouldn't mind David Carr truth be told.

Either way Clemens will end up starting, unless the Jets go after Sanchez or Nate Davis at 17.

padre31 likes this.
  14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think Leftwich or Boller would be fine additions to the Jets starting lineup this year...:yes::yes:

Josh Freeman is the forgotten guy this draft, but another rookie...not to sure about that 124, Mangini was shown the door after 3 seasons, two winning ones, and Head Coaches who specialize in Defense tend to have little patience for rookie Qb's if they turn the ball over.

Rex R was talking Super Bowl already, a rookie Qb looks like a longshot.

But by all means...take a Qb at #17, take that from a die hard Phins Fan, it will be...err...interesting...to watch them develop in NY....:wink2:

15. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    when Woody tried to buy a play-off run in the off-season, i didn't think they'd be there. at 8-3, i thought the Jets were a paper contender. soft and extremely beatable.

and calling me a dick is very bad for your health.

16. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i was hoping you guys got rex ryan. heres to some more over-exaggerated hopes and shattered dreams. now if only Cassel wasn't a Patriot...Id be praying you go after him too. I don't want the Pats to reap the benefits of Jet desperation.

for you to say clemens is better than henne is hilarious.
    1. because you dont know your *** from your elbow when it comes to NFL futures.
    2. theres no decent evidence that would support clemens is better or will be better. its just more awful forecasting on your part...and im calling you out on it.

17. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    :lol:

There is no evidence that Henne has anything. Clemens went 3-4 on a **** team, yes had a poor QB rating but since when did QB rating as a rookie on a crap team = Championships? Why? Because he went to Michigan and won NOTHING? Did absolutely NOTHING? With a top tier Left Tackle, Braylon Edwards, Chris Perry (college Perry), Mike Hart (college Hart), Steve Breaston, Jason Avant and some damn good defenders as well?

What other "awful forcasting" do I have other than saying the Jets would be 10-6 to 12-4 with Favre? I havn't been here long to make predictions.

I think I did good with my forcasting of calling Ginn nothing more than a 2 or 3, which is what he is, and saying Brown ISN'T a top 5 back when everyone here in the offseason was praising him to be Jesus Christ. He has one great game, like Ginn, and his numbers skyrockted. Other than, he was mainly average. Take out the Wildcat and who knows what his statistics look like.

If it weren't for Mangini, I would've been spot on.

You need to relax. :up:

Miami had a nice run this year, but 99% of people were incorrect in predicting the things they'd do this year, not just me. And a lot had them pegged at worse than I had them (6-10).

18. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Yeah, you say that you thought they were soft now. Its too bad I wasn't here during the season to see the reactions after beaing New England and undeffeated Tennessee on the road.

Granted you could've said the same, but I think back then you were a little bit more worried.

19. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    my god... is that a serious statement?
    I can't wait to watch Henne prove you wrong in the upcoming years. The Kid is going to be great.

20. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Dude, honestly as a Michigan fan I hope Henne does wonders..

He just never could do anything at Michigan and I have somewhat of a personal agenda against him.

But like Brady, Henson, Griese and others before and after him, I hope he does well. Just with him I don't see it. I havn't seen it in a while with Michigan QB's. Obviously Brady was Brady, but you knew Henson wasn't going to do anything outside of the Blue & Maize, had the same feeling with Henne.

We'll see.

21. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    I can't stand people (sorry dude, I like you!) that think 9-7 is a winning season. I mean, yes, it is, but to me the only winning season is when you reach the postseason so to me he was 1 of 3. His defensive gameplanning and forcing everything to be his way grew sour with the organization after two straight non playoff performances. The fans were pissed, the players didn't like him...

You knew it was coming after the Seattle game.

There will be a longer leash with Rex, a players coach who won't force a specific scheme or anything upon the players....

Or so he says...

Unlike Man-idiot who says to the Cleveland media on Day 1 that NO MATTER WHAT the 34 will be his defense.

22. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    BTW does anyone believe Matt Cassel = Scott Mitchell / Robo QB (Rob Johnson)?

23. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ

i think mangini got a raw deal. he, along with the fans got it hard from Woody...and it will set the Jets back.

Brown had a great season. He only got 13 to 17 touches a game. they preserved him well, and in doing so, should lengthen his career if they wisely keep it up.

The only disappointment Ginn gave me was on special teams. I don't think he's destined to be a Reggie Wayne or Larry Fitz...and Im not holding my breathe for him to make it to Honolulu. But ya never know.

There is not enough evidence to support the Henne Clemens argument. I mean, look how awful Michigan was this year? Who's to say he didn't elevate an otherwise garbage program..like Quinn at Notre Dame.
    Thus far, Henne has been a promising player, and he's getting a first rate education at the position. clemens did crappy on a crappy team. thats really not a compelling argument. 3-4 on a bad team...so what.

clemens > henne was just a silly thoughtless statement. its a wildly homer opinion, and nothing more. i havent got a clue who is better or will be better out of the two. but i'll be honest, i think clemens>beck is a more realistic statement, because at least those guys have played and started in this league...and are quietly letting the seasons pass. if it was going to happen for them...it probably would have already. henne, not so much the case.

24. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    MOST of the players didn't like him either.

He was too cocky in himself when before he came to the Jets his famous line would've been "I'm Bill Belichick's best friend".

He forced things upon the team no matter if it didn't fit the personal.

He didn't care, the things had to go his way or they were wrong / he didn't want to do them.

It was ridiculous and after the money Woody spent and the collapse that ensued, he was done. Mangini was more to blame than Favre for the final 5 games.

Not that National Media will tell you that. Of course not. Every W is all Favre, just as every L is. More so than any QB to ever play the game!

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Cassel had a HoF Wr still in his prime, a pro bowl quality slot receiver and a veteran Oline, he had what he needed to be a success in New England.

IMO he can play a bit, but Franchised with 2 #1picks as the price plus a massive contract means no one can afford him, and that will keep him in Foxboro.

Rob Johnson infected JP Losman with "NFL Qb Career Death" affliction..the only cure is riding the pine for 3 years..the suck stain wears off after that time.

26. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Come on, Steven Threet was outstanding last year! :lol:

go blue! :hi5:

124 likes this.
  27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ahh...as Dolphin Fan I love that line of thinkery, and agree 100%!

9-7 is a failure in NY, better fire a coach with a winning record then suffer through that hell again!!

28. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Steven Threet.. holy ****.

I don't know who I would've killed first him or Sheridan.

I want to see Feagin but I don't see that happening.

29. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    All this won't matter anyway when the Jets sign THE SEX CANNON, Rex Grossman.

Then we can just throw 40-60yd bombs and hope for pass interference calls in between Thomas Jones & Leon Washington carries.

30. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    yes, thats why it kills me that the Pats will make out so well if he is optioned. i hope he just sits there, and they gotta pay him.

oh but how sweet would a qb controversy in NE be? football gods...they are DUE.

31. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Tom Brady is the man there. Not a single fan or coach wants Cassel behind center.

New England's luck isn't going to run out.

Watch them go 14-2 in '09. :pity:

32. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    thats why im asking for help from the football gods.

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ravens rode that all the way to the Championship Game this year!

And Rex Grossman? Wow...do Jets fans just enjoy punishment?

As for NE, they are getting old...Moss is what...34? He tweaks a hammy and it's Welker and LaMont Jordan for offense...:yes:

34. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    I don't think Moss is going down and you have to believe New England is going to look to draft or aquire a younger WR to go with them because of Moss' age.

Laurence Maroney will be back, he's a good back, better than Jordan, whose a UFA.

I was kidding about Grossman, I'd laugh if we signed him. :lol:

35. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    You'd be suprised at what Pats "Fans" would want.

36. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    They are a strange gay bread, thats for sure.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  37. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I was going to say this, but you beat me to it, and worded it perfectly!

ether79 likes this.
  38. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Well, I look forward to Clemen's being your starter again. Hopefully your collegiate star learned something from the veteran favre...

39. anlgp

interception! :shifty: :D

40. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Another, in a long list of laughable comments dating back to last offseason.

Here's a couple of thoughts to consider. Did you have that same opinion of Brown when he was leading every RB statistic known to man in '07 prior to his ACL tear against NE? If I remember correctly, he almost singlehandedly beat the Jets in the Meadowlands early in that season. Did you ever stop to consider that it traditionally takes 2 years for a RB to fully recover from an ACL injury and maybe, just maybe, it affected his on-field performance this past season?

Of course not...

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.