1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lombardi likes us

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolphins1Beatles, Jul 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...s-in-the-afc-as-clock-ticks-down-on-offseason

He labels the Dolphins as a Super Bowl contenders with the Colts and Chargers. Patriots and Jets fall under playoff contenders and Bills are the lowest. More just for talking doldrums prediction stuff, but it's nice to see some love. His observations make sense too. He assumes we're fixing our two biggest issues last season with defense[Nolan, Dansby, Draft, Davis/Smith/Wake with experience and big plays[Marshall, Henne with experience]. And it certainly looks that way. Excited to watch this season.

Miami Dolphins: Much has been happening in Miami in recent weeks, but what should not be lost in all the hysteria of the Heat adding LeBron James and Chris Bosh is that the Dolphins are a Super Bowl contender. Last season, they were one of the best teams in the league in terms of execution, but struggled playing 2-minute defense (30th overall) and failed to make explosive plays (gains of 20 yards or more). Miami is close, very close, to becoming a Super Bowl team -- in part due to its size, mental toughness and ability to consistently execute each week. If the Dolphins stop the big plays, make a few of their own, and find a way to close out games, J-Lo and Marc Anthony might have a stake in a Super team.

New England Patriots: I laugh when people say the Patriots' window is closing fast as Tom Brady gets older. Are you kidding me? The Patriots are a team in transition, but their window is not closing. In fact, it is getting wider as they keep surrounding Brady with young talent. However, the Patriots need their young players to get tougher -- they need their team to get tougher. Last season, New England allowed its opponents to score every time they were first-and-goal inside the 5-yard line -- every time. Last year, the Patriots had chances to win games in the final drive, but turned the ball over and finished 1-3 in games decided by three points or fewer. Their window is still open, but the youngsters better start to produce.

New York Jets: If Denver reminds me of Butler University, then the Jets remind me of the University of Kentucky. The Jets, like the Wildcats, are extremely talented, with many different egos who might only play together for one year and have the potential to explode at any point during the season. Jets coach Rex Ryan and Kentucky coach John Calipari might not look the same, but they both are master motivators and recruiters who don't mind handling an eclectic collection of players. The question you must ask yourself about the Jets is the same one you ask about Kentucky when you fill out the office pool in March -- can they get past the Sweet 16? I never have Kentucky in my Final Four, so I cannot put the Jets there.

2. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    If he really liked us he would stop putting Dolphins in the same sentence as Super Bowl.

Agua and Killerphins like this.
  3. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    It's pretty funny how you can have 5 writers say the Phins are going to be .500 at best then you have Lombardi with his prediction. Let's play the games already to decide it once and for all

4. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    He left NFP?

5. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Lombardi is saying this because if we do make it he's right, if we don't, it's just an off season prediction. We certainly have a lot of the pieces in place so it's not like he's blaspheming or anything.

findifference likes this.
  6. findifference

findifference Member

Nov 29, 2009
    I understand that we fixed some issues, but the Dolphins aren't on the same echelon as the Colts or Ravens.

GMJohnson likes this.
  7. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    My bad, I thought you came back from a seance where Vince Lombardi told you he liked the Dolphins. Actually, I bet if you were in heaven right now, Vince is looking down on what Parcells is doing here and is nodding approvingly

findifference likes this.
  8. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I think we're right on the cusp of a SuperBowl. We could make it this year if everything breaks right and thats not an exaggeration but its unlikely. However one more offseason and we will have everything in place. Playmakers, no holes and depth. I would love to steal one this year since it would make a dynasty run more doable. I dont want one SB after waiting so long. I want three in a row with one undefeated season in the mix. I want legend, I want immortality

Da-PhinZ likes this.
  9. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    OUCH!!! Wha....????

We have just as much potential as either of those teams, especially the Ravens. Some young guys have to step up and if they do than Lombardi isn't mis-speaking at all.

We should have beat the Colts last year, we hung with the Saints too. Two less mistakes a game would have put us in the Playoffs!

gunn34 likes this.
  10. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I agree with Hulkfish.

HULKFish likes this.
  11. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

We have most of the pieces in place to make a serious run, and if the ball bounces right for us, we stay healthy, and certain positions/players such as FS and OLB step up, I think we can get to the big dance.

But that is a lot of ifs, and the fun of it will be to see this team gel and find out if we are as good as we think we can be. I have questions about us making it to the SB this season, none about the following year, so long as certain position gaps are filled next off season like they were this Summer.

adamprez2003 likes this.