1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long shot. But, thought of this yesterday

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finsbuck719, Mar 11, 2014.

1. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I'm not usually one to hope for us going balls out in free agency, spending all our money on big named players. Mainly, because I see how much that often fails us and other teams (ala Mike Wallace...so far). I'm big on grabbing solid, key pieces throughout free agency to fill in holes/reserves/special teams without breaking the bank and focus on rebuilding through the draft (Seahawks proved that method to be a success). I'm fine with paying top dollar for a LT, like Branden Albert because that is such a big need, but that's it. No Revis, no Byrd, no Decker, no Verner, etc...

However, I do have one big spending idea that I haven't heard anyone talk about. Jimmy Graham. Saints gave him a non-exclusive franchise tag, so would have to give up 2 firsts, but I think he is worth the 2 firsts and the money. Obviously Graham is not happy with the Saints FO and he's already expressed his frustration with the tag they gave him. Not to mention he attended the University of Miami. No doubt in my mind he would sign the offer sheet with the Fins, considering we would restructure his contract and give him a long term contract (which would even save us a little cap room this off season, rather than paying him the franchise tag price). Although the Saints would more than likely match our offer, I figured they may not. They're already in a bind with the salary cap and FA hasn't even begun yet, it's obvious the Front Office and Jimmy Graham aren't on the same page right now, and it appears as if they will be in rebuilding mode within the next couple of seasons, if not now. Might as well save the millions of dollars they would spend on a TE, and grab an extra 1st this year and next year while they're at it.

idk, it's obviously far fetched. But, realistically I think it's somewhat possible. Again, I'm not big on going all out in free agency like this, but I think Graham would be the safest option for breaking the bank/giving up 2 high picks. And bringing him in, would immediately eliminate one of my biggest needs for the team and that's a true #1 receiver to help free up Mike Wallace. Initially, I wanted Kelvin Benjamin with our 19th pick, but we wouldn't need him if we had Graham.

2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    No way that he is worth the contract, let alone two first round picks. He wouldn't put us over the top to become a 12-14 win team, so even in the shortest term it wouldn't pan out. And in the long term, it would hurt more than help.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    First let me say Jimmy Graham is a very good tight end. But so much of his production is tied to a guy named Drew Brees. I'm not ragging on Tannehill, but to expect the same production from a tight end without the top 3 QB in the league throwing him the ball is a foolish assumption. But GMs in the NFL do it all the time. Just look at all the WRs who earn huge contracts after hugely productive stints with QBs like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, etc. So many of these guys stroke out with new teams with lesser QBs while their replacements duplicate their production with the hall of fame QBs.

You can't look at tight end or WR production in a vacuum. Their production is hugely correlated with QB. For the Dolphins, not worth it. Better to find our own Jimmy Graham in the draft. Or let Clay and Tannehill continue to develop.

4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, first off, Clay has been developing nicely, not that Graham wouldn't be a huge upgrade, but Clay has made a name for himself and is coming along. Second, that still is too much to pay for Graham. I can see the salary but the draft picks make this deal prohibitive. It's not like Graham would suddenly, by himself, put us in the next level. If we're going to spend those kind of resources, we can get some nice OL to complement Tanny and the rest of the skilled players, including Clay.... At this point, and I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I'd have no issue with trading for a couple of guards or even a RT, assuming the reports that we Albert all but locked up are true... Those kinds of moves would put this team back on the map, not just a very, very good TE...

5. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    A Jimmy Graham size contract would take money away from rebuilding the O line. Surrendering First rounders (where we could target O lineman) would also hurt the rebuild.

So adding a tight end that doesn't block and drains our resources could lead to Tannenhill being sacked 70times next year.

Not saying he wouldn't be a beast addition for a team that has all it's ducks in a row.. but not us

Fin D likes this.
  6. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    Jimmy Graham wont happen, but what's the status on Dustin Keller coming back?

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    no news..

My long shot..Devin Hester.