1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long, Wake and Misi honored.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by smahtaz, Jan 12, 2011.

1. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

MikeHoncho and FinsAreLife like this.
  2. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Good for them. All well deserved.

smahtaz likes this.
  3. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I got into a bit of a debate with former scout Greg Gabriel on the National Football Post site after he told me Pat Angerer was more deserving then Misi. I still cant stop laughing at that. Angerer was horrible in every metric except his special teams play and one of the biggest reasons he was drafted, his coverage skills were the area he faired the worst in. Misi is very deserving.

MikeHoncho and smahtaz like this.
  4. smahtaz

Misi's still pretty raw for sure, but you can't coach being around the ball.

Boik14 likes this.
  5. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Move Misi inside and send Crowder packing. :up:

DolfanJake and Boik14 like this.
  6. smahtaz

I'm not ready to give up on Edds and Spitler just yet. But I am all for sending Crowder packing.

7. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Why would you be giving up on Edds?

8. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Wouldnt upset me in the least. The ability to send either MLB on a blitz (since Crowder cant blitz effectively) and add another edge rusher would make this front seven really really good. Plus Misi is more of a thumper and I think can play better in shorter areas but I dont think it will happen that way because Nolan's defense isnt a true 3-4; its a hybrid and it requires a OLB that can set the edge which Misi does really well generally though hes still getting better there since he was a 4-3 DE in college. Pro Football Focus has Misi as the 7th best 3-4 OLB in the NFL and second overall against the run. But inside he would be devastating I think since he was a DL in college and is used to playing in short areas and used to using technique to shed linemen or hold the point of attack

Killerphins likes this.
  9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Misi's too good on the outside. He's like a young Mike Vrabel. I was an ardent Crowder supporter, but now, I think he's certainly got to be considered as a candidate to be replaced - I just wouldn't do it with Misi. I'd do it with a natural thumper at ILB, which Misi really isn't.

10. ET7

ET7 New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    That something that is extremely underrated about his game. He always finds a way to be around the ball much like Jason Taylor. Bounces would always go to JT and Misi seems to have that luck as well. You keep someone that has that evne as a STer if he sucks b/c you can't coach taht you can't even look for that.

11. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    You could say the same thing about Sean Smith. Everybody complains about his dropped int's but atleast he us in the right position.

12. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I have to completely disagree. Misi came up with 4.5 sacks and did not rush the QB all that much. This is very unusual for a first year DE in college making the transition to OLB. Who knows what he'll do this season when he will be stronger, and will know what he's doing. Misi has Pro Bowl potential at OLB. No way in hell do I move him.

Say what you will about Crowder. However, we were a lot better with him than without him. Dansby and Sparano said the same, and they should know. Adding Edds to the mix in coverage will be a help.

13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Last name probably sounds cooler though.

14. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Many are forgetting the youth of this team. Although there are exceptions, everyone agrees that it takes 3 years to truly know how good a player is, and some take longer. This is not very popular in today's day and age of instant gratification but, is still a fact in the NFL.

Rookies come into this league after being the best in HS and College, being great on talent alone. Then, they come to find out that all the players here are the same. They have to absorb a telephone book of schemes, plays, and can no longer rely on just talent. This takes time before they can stop thinking, and just play the game.

15. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    Exactly. Him dropping int's is a whole lot better than him being completely lost out there. Both of our young corners have a very bright future ahead of them IMO.

16. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Davis, Smith, and even Clemons, are not getting toasted by anyone, just not making the plays which IMO will come when they do not have to think. I can't wait to see them this coming season.

One side note. Smith could not tackle worth a damn last season, no longer the case. He focused on his biggest weakness, and did a great job in improving. I expect the same from him this off season. This Duo can be really special.

smahtaz likes this.
  17. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Misi rushed the passer a bit more then he played the run. He had 624 total snaps broken down as follows....242 in run defense, 253 in pass defense and 129 in coverage. He was about average as a pass rusher though very solid for a rookie. After the chicago game when he had 5 pressures he did slump as a rusher. For the year, i agree he was good for a rookie but Im still not sure that our defense wouldnt be devastating with Misi inside, stacking blocks and then a better rusher off the edge. Great 3-4 defenses have 4 linebackers who can get to the QB and Crowder never could do that. I have always felt Crowder is a 4-3 SOLB as he is a better edge setter then he is playing in the middle of the field. That we have always been better with Crowder then without him speaks to the quality of the team, not the quality of the player in my opinion.

18. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Thanks for the breakdown, Good Stuff. I was going by what Nolan said the other day in the Herald (think it was Sunday) in that Misi was not given the chance to rush the QB a great deal, as he was doing a lot of the "dirty work." Nolan was very happy with Misi and also said he was going to get better and better. If I have time, I'll try to find the article for you.

Crowder is far from great but is a VG vs the run. That's why I mentioned Edds. He could give us a very nice combo next to Dansby.

Boik14 likes this.