1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking ahead to 2010 prospects

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by joeydolfan, Apr 29, 2009.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I see.

Agreed on Norwood.

OT - You ready to watch Liverpool / Man Utd? Fifteen minutes until the game.

2. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Watching now!

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Liverpool's pressing them very well. Too bad they didnt' finish in the box on set pieces.

4. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Great performance and well deserved win for us!

alen1 likes this.
  5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Very well done. Congratulations. I'm watching my Gunners crumble to West Ham. :pity:

Boomer likes this.
  6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Don't get me wrong with, Boom. I don't think we're drafting him either. BUT, since we don't know how the draft will play out, I would gladly take Spiller if the top of our board was gone..... like Pitt did with Mendenhall in 08. They had other needs besides RB, but it's hard not to accept a present that falls in your lap.

My feelings haven't changed about taking McClain or Spikes 1st.... or Berry or Dez if they fall. They're still my first choices, along with Derrick Morgan and Pierre-Paul. Most all of us have expressed our disappointment regading the lack of offensive weapons, so I see no reason why Spiller can't be that weapon. I'd rather have him than Harvin any day of the week. And if Ronnie goes down, who takes over as WCQB? Do we just scrap it after all the time and practice put into it? Do we disregard its success? Spiller has the ability to QB it at a high level, or at the very least replace Ricky. Much of our WC success lies in the fact that defenses have to respect 2 Top Notch backs. If the 2nd RB can't run as well as the 1st one, then the wheels stop turning and defenses key in on Ronnie. Bye Bye WC. LOL.

Spiller even blocks in pass-pro with the same effort that he gives returning a kick. He's blasted many a blitzing LBs. I personally wouldn't take Cody over him. Cody is a potential bust, where as Spiller is going to make any team that drafts him better.

7. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Boom, when you watched Bama, what'd you think of the #57 Marcell Dareus? He seems like a beast for a Sophomore, no?

8. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Hey Todd, I think I mentioned him on the page before. Stallion. Him and your boy Bowers standing tall at the top of that DL mix for next year.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

I'm certainly not dissing Spiller's ability - he's a home run hitter and God knows, we could always do with more of them. But I don't think for even one minute that Ronnie Brown will be allowed to walk and Ricky has inked for another year and he's running like a back with 3 more left on the treads. I take your point about Mendenhall, but Pitt were a team with far less holes than we had. Far less.

We need a WR, a seam busting TE, a safety and probably an impact edge rusher. I simply don't see us investing a first rounder on a back given those other issues.

Plus, you're a homer dawg! You'd draft Spiller's mum if you knew she'd once pulled on an orange baseball cap. ;)

ToddsPhins likes this.
  10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I would not be so sure we wouldn't take Spiller, we flirted heavily with Percy Harvin this pre draft period, but he was off the board when we picked, Spiller has rare talent TP, when he hit the Hurricanes secondary he was faster than that entire unit and those cats can run well.

That is the sort of bonafides that make people take notice.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Yup. I was blown away by how much seperation he gained on even Miami like you said. Can you believe he friggin hit 28.8 mph on his KO return. Bolt's 100 meter breaks down to an average of 27. :drool:

The long pass for a TD is nothing new either. He's doing it almost every game and I dont think I've ever seen him drop one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

padre31 likes this.
  12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep, he is explosive, when he can have a 1 or 2 full steps on the entire Hurricane secondary, the man can motor and has nice hands and decent vision.

He would not replace Ronnie B, but if we had Ronnie, Rickey and Spiller our offense would be that much more explosive, Spiller is a playmaker and compliments our Strength in the Oline.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    :sidelol: that's friggin hilarious! Touché!! Quote of the week right there!!

Points well taken. I guess if our top guys are off the board then that would mean that Gresham is prime for the taking, so that would be a tough decision to make for me.... even though he's not from Clemson. :tongue2: LOL

It'd be a dream to get Owen Daniels in FA to free up our 1st pick in case we're put in the position where Spiller becomes the top player available on our board. Am I missing a better suited FA TE?
    Posted via Mobile Device

14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I couldnt see him replacing Ronnie, but we need 2 top tier backs to make this offense/WC click properly IMO.

Could you imagine CJ on the end around in our WC with Ronnie? I'd like to see Pat and Ronnie as the backs with Spiller the motion guy....Pat fakes the dive to Ronnie, fakes the run and pulls up to hit CJ on the fly down the sideline!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

15. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Sproles even has much better size than McCluster. I don't think u can run him like the Chargers do with Sproles either. Its also hard to play him on 3rd down cause he can't pick up the blitz. Sproles was also a fulltime RB and star while McCluster has never done that.

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I wouldn't say Sproles has "much better" size than McCluster. He has fifteen pounds on him. McCluster can put that on, maybe ten pounds and he'd be fine. As for McCluster not ever being a full time running back, of course he's not because he's a wide receiver. And once again, I would not use him as a featured running back but I would use his versatility to the extreme because he can do many things.

17. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Skeet, this is one thing that Spiller does VERY well if it's any extra consolation for us. Sometime's he'll take out their feet to give the QB a better throwing lane and sometimes he'll stand a LB up dead in his tracks.

18. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

McCluster's frame will make it hard for him to add weight. Alen i respect ur opinion a great deal but I dont see it. II think he is too small to play in the NFL. If he ever had to run block or beat a jam he could be in trouble. I think many other guys like him failed but I dont even see him on an NFL roster sorry. If u believe in him tho I do think he has a good shot. You must see something i dont

19. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I agree and I would not be disappointed one bit if we took Spiller (Dez, Spikes, McClain, Berry are off board)

20. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Deon Butler got drafted, and he is tiny.

21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    To each their own then. :up:

22. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    That's how I feel. He's too good to pass up if the guys you mentioned are off the board. If it were just based on talent alone, I'd maybe pass on him.... but he brings soooo much to the table in the locker room, leadership, sense of team, etc.

I love seeing guys like him who have more talent than God but also work harder than everyone else in the country. He actually only runs track so that he can make himself faster and better conditioned for football. CJ's a born winner to the 10th degree, and I feel that goes overlooked all too often when evaluating players IMO.

23. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Ok so where did i say he would not be drafted?

24. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    When you said:

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Purdue's defensive tackle Mike Neal is a very impressive player iMO. Explosive and quick off the line, shows very good lateral agility and can make plays on his feet. He also has tremendous strength and the ability to hold up blocks. He goes at 6'3", 302 I think, somewhere in that region, and looks like a very nice prospect. I wouldn't complain about him being brought in for nose tackle and honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they did draft him. He needs to learn a couple things like he will tend to not square his shoulders or he won't always lock out but he has overpowering strength. If he's taught those things here, he would be a quality player IMO.

ssmiami and Boomer like this.
  26. RalphX19X

RalphX19X >:)

Nov 23, 2007
    Miami
    I like what I see out of Utah's David reed. Obviously fast solid hands and looks like a good route runner.

27. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    You know what Todd, I watched the Clemon-Miami game today and Spiller blew me away. I might be ready to retract my remarks on the previous page because we lack a home run hitter of Spiller's ability. I'd still be surprised, but... I know they like Gresham and we all know they need a #1 WR, but CJ can ball.

His mother? Not so much.

ToddsPhins and ssmiami like this.
  28. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Myron Rolle is the guy i want Miami to draft

29. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    pending the next two games we might just have a shot at one of those blue chippers.

30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Today's news states that TE Anthony McCoy of USC, OT Charles Brown of USC, RB Jahvid Best of California, DE Kevin Basped of Nevada, WR Damian Williams of USC, Oregon State's DT Stephen Paea, Brian Price of UCLA (DT) will be coming out and Jerry Hughes of TCU will be getting a lot of work in linebacker drills at the Senior Bowl, which I find very interesting. I haven't seen him do a lot of it at TCU but I have seen a bit of it and he doesn't look too bad as a rover.

I wanted to go back to Kevin Basped of Nevada, however. I saw him ranked as a top 90 pick and I don't see it. From what I've watched of him, he is a terrible reader of the game.

31. Biggtyme13

Biggtyme13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I love what I see in Golden Tate every game. He has speed strong hands and runs like a rb when he has the ball. I have a feeling that there is going to be a rush of guys that have first round talent that are going to enter the draft and be around in the second and maybe even the third. If this happens I would love Tate in a Dolphins uniform.

Boomer likes this.
  32. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    :sad:
    link?

33. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Huge Jerry Hughes fan for us. Its between him and Norwood but I think Hughes can play the run better. Dont know where Brian Price would go but he will be a great pickup for somebody.

34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    No link, i read it somewhere and forgot to post it lol. My bad. It said that some scouts felt he was a top twenty pick and sources said that he would be gone after this year, which is interesting considering I read that he said he would come back for his senior year regardless of what happened this season.

vmarcilfan75 likes this.
  35. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I wouldn't mind Tate in the second round.

36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Boom, did you read Tony Pauline's comments about Adam Ulatoski's draft stock and how NFL scouts feel like he's improved and has brought his draft grade from a free agent to the mid rounds? When I read it, I almost fell out of my chair. He may amount to something on the right side but I think he's got quite a bit to learn and I don't really see how he's improved much.

37. vmarcilfan75

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    hey no problem and YES he did say that. He wants to graduate and make his parents proud but Money Talks! I dont want him to leave UCLA yet :no:

38. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Haha, if I find anything else on it, I'll pass it on to you. :up:

vmarcilfan75 likes this.
  39. vmarcilfan75

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels

im all over the UCLA messageboards and didnt read anything like that today. So i was kind of in shocked when i read that, so thats why i was asking for a link :pointlol:

alen1 likes this.
  40. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    :sidelol: glad to see you slowly coming aboard, mate. ;)

CJ turned it up bc he got to play in front of his Dad for the first time, but if he goes to Miami, his dad can see him more often. LOL. Imagine him with a decent line to run behind.

What color would you like your tiger shirt in, Boom? :tongue2:
    Posted via Mobile Device