1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking ahead to 2010 prospects

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by joeydolfan, Apr 29, 2009.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I still think that Claussen is best suited to be taken around #30 by the Vikings. He has a nice arm, but he seems to drop back with limited ability and throw it to his primary targets, who are usually superior athletes and players to their competition. Nice arm, not great arm. Kind of skinny with limited mobility. How well does he read defenses? I don't see him as a top 10 talent, not sure at all if top 20. I wouldn't touch him that early.

djphinfan likes this.
  2. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't think there's any chance Tebow goes before the 2nd round. The question is whether this draft will have a Joe Flacco in it.

3. Prime Time

Prime Time New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I want them all to come out so Dez Bryant can fall into our laps.

4. Prime Time

Prime Time New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I am actually pretty upset with our draft position. The blue-chip players in this draft are Dez Bryant, CJ Spiller, Ndaukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, Russell Okung, and Eric Berry. That accounts for six players; I would have to imagine that Quarterbacks such as Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen would be Top 10 selections. I think Rolando McClain has Denver at #11 written all over him. For one of these top calibur players to fall to us we are going to need someone like Tim Tebow or Colt McCoy to move up the draft board. Possibly an Offensive Tackle such as Anthony Davis, Trent Williams, or Bruce Campbell.

In terms of our position we are in now I am thinking Brandon Spikes looks like the pick.

5. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    4 teams in the top 12 are strong QB possibilities - Skins, St Louis, Seattle, Oakland. Denver is another. You can definitely see Clausen and Bradford in the top 12. McCoy? Maybe too high. Mallett? I could see him going top 12. Ponder similarly. Snead? Not personally but I could see it. So that leaves ten or 8 other players depending. 2 of those will be DT's Suh and McCoy. One will be Eric Berry and another is Derrick Morgan. That leaves between four and 6 players. Russell Okung will be one. So that's a maximum of five, mimimum of three. Joe Haden will probably be another. Max four, minimum of 2. That leaves a lot of good players. A. Lot.

6. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Copycat. :no:

:pointlol:

7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know that I see Haden as a lock for the top 12.

I think once teams get a good strong look at Bruce Campbell and Anthony Davis, they both could end up in the top 12 though.

Could be as many as four tackles taken before we pick.

Here's what I would mock out, so far.

1. DT Ndamukong Suh - Either Tampa or St. Louis. I could see Tampa trading up here, and St. Louis obliging for Eric Mangini type rates (ie. CHEAP) to get ahead of Detroit. And after such pronounced draft miscues in the past, I don't see Detroit taking on the ensuing public storn that usually happens when a team trades up only one spot based on a threat, either real or perceived.

2. DT Gerald McCoy - Either way, Detroit gets McCoy.

3. QB Jimmy Clausen/DE Derrick Morgan - If Tampa stays, Morgan. If not, the Rams take Clausen. Gaines Adams was a bust for them, they got rid of him, and had no pass rush. This would be a moving on type move. They don't need a FS, Tanard Jackson played well.

(BREAK: I just have to say that the chances are strong that Suh, McCoy and Clausen are the top 3 period, no matter what happens with St. Louis trying to trade down so they can grab Clausen, gambits between Detroit and Tampa. The only scenario where Clausen continues falling would be if Suh and McCoy go #1 and #2 without either going to Tampa)

4. RB C.J. Spiller - Washington will be happy to take such a homerun hitter if they really believe Campbell has had his turning point. They're dumb enough to really think that, too.

5. FS Eric Berry - They're not allowed to admit yet that they made a mistake with Cassel. I believe it's within the New England mentality to take a player they feel to be as safe as Eric Berry.

6. OT Russell Okung - This could truly end up Bruce Campbell or Anthony Davis, but it's a tackle all the way for Seattle.

7. QB Jimmy Clausen/QB Sam Bradford - I really think that the Ron Wolf/Mike Holmgren experience will be all about finding a QB for Cleveland first and foremost. I don't think Quinn is that guy for them.

8. OT Anthony Davis - Al Davis is unpredictable, but seriously...Mario Henderson and Cornell Green are your tackles? Serious?

9. QB Sam Bradford/OT Bruce Campbell - Another team with a QB/OT need. They got rid of Jason Peters and we've all seen the result on their OL position, it was a war zone out there.

10. DE Derrick Morgan/DE Everson Griffen - Let's just assume for a second that Jacksonville wins the flip. They won't take Tebow in the first round. If Tampa is forced to pick #3 then they'll take Morgan IMO but if they can get Suh as they wish, then Jax IMO would go for a guy they could COUNT on to provide pressure. Two biggest problems in Jax this year were they couldn't pressure the QB worth a damn (worst in the league IMO), and they couldn't protect the passer. Like us with the CBs, they have rookies protecting the passer and they're just hamstrung waiting for them to shape up.

11. QB Sam Bradford/QB Colt McCoy - I can't help but feel like Josh McDaniels gave Cutler away and got this pick thinking that he really liked these two passers in this year's draft, and they really seem to fit his inventive pseudo-Spread approach to offense.

12. Miami picks....who?

Honestly, I do see a strong possibility that Dez Bryant is there. I think he's a fast player, but as Simon has implied before, what if Dez doesn't run very fast at the Combine or his Pro Day? What if teams REALLY hate his personality? Simon brought up ANOTHER great point that really, Brandon Marshall is now what Dez Bryant could be in a few years. You don't know. As Alen also pointed out, his own coach has called him out for not giving 100% effort on every play, through to the whistle. Killer speed hides those warts...but what if he doesn't have killer speed that translates in a 40?

What will really bake your noodle is...there or not there, Miami might not take him. You never know.

The Rev, Boomer and ssmiami like this.
  8. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I have a hard time believing that Miami would take someone that has a history of not giving full effort.

I think the Marshall thing is a little intriguing, because I seem to ask myself the question "what would Marshall have become if he was drafted by this front office/coaching staff?". I think when it comes down to it, Shanahan was a players coach. Thats been instilled in Marshall. Now anyone who is any less of a players coach will be looked at negatively by Marshall.

Also consider that it usually takes two to tango. I'm sure most players know by now that this organization demands a lot of hard work and commitment. Some players don't want to be a part of that.

9. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    certianly makes sense...

BTW, I live in the bay area and I do believe the Raiders have given up on Russell. I mean they were starting their 3rd QB ahead of him AND left him in the game after he got hurt in favor of putting JR in the game.

10. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I think it is going to be close either way.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Apparently Ras I Dowling may have not gotten the grade that he wanted because he's decided to come back.

12. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I think we can all enjoy this arm extension.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWdvfRhTruw"]YouTube- Mike Iupati #77 UI vs USC[/ame]

jim1 likes this.
  13. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    But how much will his injury history affect his stock? He's been injured a good deal, and honestly that's why I dropped him behind Trent Williams. He's gotta prove he's healthy to me first.

14. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    He was good in The Evil Dead though. And better in Bubba Ho Tep.

That'll count for something in the final evaluation.

Stitches, derek and HardKoreXXX like this.
  15. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Don't forget Army of Darkness, probably his best work.

derek likes this.
  16. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I was just about to post some AOD:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm8zxFhAxo0"]YouTube- Army of Darkness (1993)[/ame]

derek likes this.
  17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Who wouldn't want an offensive tackle with a chainsaw surgecially grafted to his arm?

HardKoreXXX and derek like this.
  18. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

It effectively negates the speed rush.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-wj-vuNm88&feature=related"]YouTube- All the best "Army of Darkness"[/ame]

19. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    So, what you all are saying is Bryant might have some attitude issues. In other words, he's what I typically refer to as a prima donna? Well, if that's the case, I just as soon see us pass on him even if he is there at #12.

So, other than trading down, what other player makes sense at #12? I'd think using the pick for a defensive player is very likely. If McClain is still there, is he a slam dunk? What about Jerry Hughes? Saw some of him last night in the Fiesta Bowl, and he looked like a man playing amongst boys for the most part. Could Parcells see a young LT in the making? Or, what about a NT (Cody or Williams)?

If we trade down and pick up another second round pick, what about WR LaFell in the late first or early second round?

20. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    "That was just pillow talk, baby."

Quick question that I didn't want to post in a new thread. I remember hearing that Parcells personally attended the Senior Bowl practices (maybe even the Shrine Game as well). Did we end up drafting anyone that we looked at there?

21. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Personally I don't see Dan Williams as a fit for this defense. And with Soliai I don't necessarily see them employing two big guys when usually they like a biggie and a littly.

So to speak.

22. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

Williams seems active, quick, and bull strong at 330 lbs., anchors well. I like the guy for our defense. Not so sure about your second comment- Soliai goes about 340 I would guess and I heard that Ferguson is a lot heavier than his listed weight. Both big boys, my best guess.

If Bryant is taken before we get a crack at him it might be a good year to trade down in the 1st and pick up an extra 2nd- maybe Benn, maybe Gilyard, maybe a Brandom Graham. Maybe the Georgia S who just declared or Demaryius Thomas if he comes out, who knows.

23. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    So, are you sayin' we're OK at NT with Soliai then? Or, do you think they will wait and address NT later in the draft (or FA)? I would assume something needs to be done because I just don't see Fergy coming back and playing at the same level he once did given his age and his last injury.

And, what about McClain, Spikes or Hughes at #12 then? Doesn't picking one of the better prospect LB's make sense?

Trading down does make a lot of sense too. NE has three second rounders, so getting another second round pick somehow would help us keep up with the Joneses. So to speak.

24. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Those second rounders are gold. Really good talent always falls to the second, without the high price tag of the 1st rd picks. And sanity seems to often return in the 2nd round, taking really solid players instead of reaching for the brass rings with the high price tags. Lamar Woodley is a shining example of that. Man, he looked good agianst us. As to New England- they are just plain smart and they keep on collecting those uber valuable 2nd round picks like the the champions that they are. They bring in players like Ron Brace and Patrick Chung, get rid of the older high priced guys, and the train keeps rolling. Steelers on that front, too. Gotta love the Ravens drafts as well.

djphinfan and The G Man like this.
  25. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Williams IS active and quick but he actually can't anchor at all. He's not an archetypal one gap NT. He's great going side to side at the snap, but he can't hold up consistently in one on one blocking at the point. Which is why he doesn't fit our scheme. Watch him against Alabama in the Cody FG block game. One on one against Will Vlachos and Vlachos is moving him 3, 4, 5 yards off the ball. But when engaging Vlachos and Johnson for example, he looks much better. Same against Virginia Tech the other night. One on one, not so much but when he was blocking down on the center and Sergio Render, then it's a different matter altogether. He's also maddeningly inconsistent and that's why I don't see him in Miami. I also doubt Ferguson is particularly heavy.

As for Brandon Graham, he's a legitimate target at 12. And Reshad Jones is the Georgia safety. If you thought Gibril Wilson had tackling issues the first four weeks, you ain't seen nothing. Plus, at times, he fails to show a basic understanding of coverage and that I can't abide.

jim1 likes this.
  26. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I certainly think there are good one gap possibilities to be had in later rounds, 3 through 5 who schematically are better fits. I suspect also that Fergie will return. McClain is a very good player but as I mentioned in the McClain/Spikes film examination thread, Rolando has the benefit ofd playing behind a DL that protects him and as Chris pointed out, is designed to funnel plays to him that doesn't happen with Spikes. And you could make a case, as I did in that thread as as Chris did via PM that McClain might best be suited in a 4-3. I think you could make a case for either.

27. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Interesting points on Williams. I noticed his good lateral movement, but I also thought that he anchored pretty well from what I saw. Flying blind on the UGA Safety- I haven't seen much of him but heard that he was a baller.

28. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Reshad is a ball hawk deep, but I don't like some of his short ball route recognition and he struggles taking on tacklers head on.

29. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Its early yet but Patrick Chung and Ron Brace aren't really looking like big winners at this point.

Boomer likes this.
  30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Jared Odrick is the name if it's NT, IMO.

Stitches likes this.
  31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You know, I put him in the only Dolphins mock draft that I've done so far, but I really do want to know...what happaned to Vince Oghobaase?

Last year he was well on his way to high first round standing, the best recruit Duke has probably ever had.

This year NFL Draft Scout keeps projecting him in like the 3rd or 4th round?

I'm watching his game against Army right now. If that's what a 3rd or 4th rounder, obviously I have a lot to learn (about poor drafting).

32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I love being able to watch an entire player's game in like 20 minutes.

If that didn't look like a grown man playing football on a playground full of high school junior varsity kids...sheesh. Can't wait to cut that one up and put it on display.

Army plays those wide line splits a la Mike Leach, along with the triple option. Because of that the Duke coaches weren't sure that Oghobaase could be much of a factor. Boy were they wrong. Army went through three quarterbacks mostly because Oghobaase ate two of them. I don't know that I've ever seen a DT cut blocked that much in my entire life. He HAD to be tired at the end of the game. That's a lot of bending for one game. He was almost always blocked by two linemen, sometimes three, and it would be blockers diving at his feet in quick succession, anything to keep him away from the play.

The bad news is he didn't look particularly good at protecting his feet and so with all of those cuts coming after him wave after wave he did get knocked to the ground some. But this isn't Brian Price going to the ground on a third of his plays just for no good reason other than he can't keep his balance. He was being cut, you expect a guy to end up on the ground when facing that many cut blocks especially from smaller, quicker linemen like Army has.

But my god. If you didn't cut block him, forget it. The word is unblockable, and I don't use it often. Toward the end of the game Army were forced to pass the ball to catch up, and they would have two OLs blocking him, each time he would split them and cut right through like a knife, guaranteeing that the QB wouldn't have all day. Sometimes they put three OLs on him. I even saw him tie up 4 OLs in one play.

I know the dude fought some injuries this year...had a disappointing season that way, but come on man. This looks like one of those things where something takes you off the national spotlight a little bit, and so the draftnik world forgets about you...but I doubt they'll forget about Vince by draft day.

I REALLY look forward to watching him at the Shrine practices.

joefootball and Stitches like this.
  33. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i watched him twice this year and I flat out wrote him off. He was useless this year. I dont know what he looked like last year but he stinks this year

34. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    interesting. well if you're impressed i will have to watch him again. maybe his injuries made him play poorly. what were his injuries? lower body?

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Some kind of leg injury. He'd made 38 straight starts before having to miss the game against N.C. Central. It looks to me like he was injured early in the game against Kansas because he played but got blanked from the stat sheet. This, after having accumulated 16 tackles, 2.5 TFLs and 0.5 Sacks in two games against Richmond and Army.

It really looks like a trick of bad timing. I have the Army game from this year which is pre-injury...and Navy from last year.

He played against Virginia Tech, got 5 tackles. Then he got nearly blanked completely off the stat sheet against NC State. Got three tackles against Maryland. Two tackles against Virginia. Seven tackles against North Carolina. Didn't play against Georgia Tech or Miami. Four tackles against Wake.

I'm just going to take a wild guess here but I think the injury really affected some of those games he did play. The Army tape is a better indication of what he might have done healthy. I didn't see poor effort in that tape at all, even though they were cutting him to death, running the plays away from him, double and tripling him, etc.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  36. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    thanks CK. That explains alot. A closed book is now reopened

37. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, NE is/was fortunate enough to have most of their team remain intact while competing, making trades possible.

Boom mentioned that this is probably the most important offseason since probably 2002, the moves Ireland makes this Cycle will more or less cast our fate for the next 3 years.

Meaning, we really need Ireland to pull a 2005 draft class this Cycle, we have so many needs that this Draft the "take two" strategy is not really possible unless Ireland can dredge up a NT and ILB out of nowhere or JP or JT finds the fountain of youth.

Have to wonder what they evaluate Soliai as, if they like him, the #12 pick and #43 and #75 are freed up to take a Wr and a Te and a OLB/ILB, if they feel they need a NT all bets are off because of the priority nature of the position in our defense.

I really think one of the best things that could happen this offseason is the signing of a #1 type Wr and a young veteran ILB.

I'd love it if we could raid Tampa for Antonio Bryant and Barret Ruud, that would open things up in the draft.

38. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I've not seen Duke this year so will look forward to the cutdowns, but last year I thought he did really well soaking up the run when I saw him.

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It's very confusing because I know we'd like to say well, it's Army, of course he dominated. But, doesn't that attitude sort of imply that he's more than a 3rd or 4th round pick?

You would expect a 1st round pick to dominate Army, absolutely...

40. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    OK, so here goes. A whole raft of game notes and games watched. Chris, I'll send all these to you in the next day or so when I've picked them out.

Been watching tape almost exclusively for the past few weeks and thought I'd post bowl game thoughts. Check back the past few pages for a raft of others:

East Carolina - Arkansas

Frigid weather conditions and a tight game, highlighted by some interesting players on both sides. Starting with the Razorbacks and their QB Ryan Mallett who, as a redshirt sophomore is considering declaring even though his parents believe, like me, that he should stay in school. He is clearly a legitimate NFL prospect down the line, but I am absolutely certain that not only should Mallett stay in school as a junior but also as a senior to iron out a number of wrinkles in his game that have him a long way from being an NFL starter. He clearly has legitimate number one overall tools – size, arm strength – but he’s also naïve as a passer, has some delivery issues, mediocre footwork and he can be frighteningly inaccurate, often with high balls that open his receivers up to big hits. He’s mainly a shotgun QB although he has experience under center, both with the Razorbacks and at Michigan. When he is under the center, he will get out quickly, although the ball stays low. He has a quick delivery and the ball comes out flat and very quick, often with a perfect spiral. In the shotgun he usually takes a couple of small steps before delivering the ball, but on longer drops, he sinks his back foot off a long final stride, bending his back leg and pushing down so that at times the back knee almost touches the ground. He then pops up and the pop up motion almost starts his delivery. It’s rather an odd thing to do and he’ll need to be coached out of it because his body shape is good in his back pedal, then it changes completely and he then reverts back to his original shape during the motion. He also doesn’t set his feet with any consistency. His big arm is a strength and a curse and it’s a curse because he believes it will get him out of trouble and it’s a curse because he can make every throw without good footwork. He also has a tendency to jump into some passes. It’s a sign of his ultra competitiveness but also an aspect of his game needs addressing if he’s going to develop. For instance, he threw a long 3rd quarter touchdown off his back foot without ever setting up properly, yes he was pressured, but usually you'd want him to eat the sack and live another down rather than put the ball up in the air deep off the back foot. The throw lacked a little carry, but it was the sort of pass that some QB’s couldn’t make even with the correct set up. He stands very tall in the pocket and is oblivious to pressure in that he remains focused on getting the ball out rather than ducking to avoid the hit. He can slide his feet to avoid pressure and remains composed when the pocket starts to collapse. Ryan displays decent mobility, especially for a passer who measures in at 6’7. This is no Dan McGuire statue back there. He throws well on the move, showing a good ability to square away his shoulders when throwing back across to a receiver. The arm speaks for itself. It’s a howitzer, but much like Chad Henne, he needs a lot of work on touch. He tries to fit every ball in believing that his arm is good enough to do anything. It’s not. He also lacks poise at times – chewing out receivers – or looking for the bigger play instead of taking what the defense gives him. A perfect example is a late 4th quarter 3rd and short to keep a potential FG winning drive going. Mallett carries out a perfect play fake and rolls to his right. He has the fullback wide open in the flat just a few yards in front of him and the easiest pass he’ll make all season will keep the drive alive. But he decides to look for a bigger play and so instead of squaring his body and getting his feet working for him, he carries on rolling out, ignores the FB and tries to fit in a low ball to a receiver already falling down on the sideline. As a coach that would frustrate the life out of me and his decision making really needs work. Too often his passes seem to come out high. Part of that is perhaps because of his height, but it’s also to do with his set up and delivery, especially when he drops that back foot and bounces up. But by the very nature of the bounce forcing his body up, the ball comes out high. There’s no doubt that he has very high R1 potential but I’d be very wary of drafting him in 2010 and trying to make him a starter in the NFL soon because he has much growth left to do at the college level.

At TB I’m not sure Michael Smith had a carry all game, whilst London Crawford was non existent at the receiver position. One youngster of note for the Razorbacks is 247lb tailback Broderick Green, the USC transfer who bucks it up with real authority and has the potential to be a star down the line.

On defense I was interested to see DT Malcolm Sheppard. At 6’2, 291 he’s a very interesting player because he flashes big time ability as a two gap DT, but then will disappear for long stretches. In quarters two and three, he was as dominant as Brian Price was in the second half for UCLA against Temple but in quarters 1 and 4 he was MIA. More of a classic three technique, he did play a fair bit of 1 gap nose tackle this season, although based on a couple of viewings in ’09 it wasn’t a great success because it takes away from what he does best. As a NT he gets stood up too often at the point of attack and plays too high. But as the three technique he’s much more of a player. Possessing a spin move that I can only liken to Dwight Freeney, Sheppard can be a nightmare for guards. At about 4.30 to go in the first quarter, he gets stood up, but spins inside and gets pressure on the QB. He then did it again on the very next play, leaving his man grasping at air. But as I mentioned he’s far too inconsistent. Straight ahead blocking he often gets moved out of the hole far too easily and his hand use is spotty. Then all of a sudden he’s transformed; it’s him that’s standing people up then ripping off and making a tackle as the back comes through his hole. In quarters 1 and 4 he was beaten to the punch again and again. In two and three he was rocking the interior of the EC line with a terrific first punch that allowed him to gain leverage. When asked to block down the line, he’s athletic enough to get across his man and to knife into the backfield to make plays. However, he doesn’t always protect his knees and can be susceptible to cut blocks. I’d like to see him kick his legs open a bit more as well. He’s quite narrow base wise and he’s not blessed with huge legs or a big bubble to begin with. Invariably that means he becomes unbalanced. With 10.40 to go in the 3rd he shoots left at the snap, then sees the ball go back to the right and tries to spin out of the double team. But he’s off balanced and gets stoned to the floor like a man pushing a baby. He never truly gets his feet out from under him. Seriously, reading back my notes, he’s maddeningly frustrating. After writing that he needs to 'play with a better base', he comes back and stands up a double team up, gets his hands on the breastplate of the guard , extends his arms to create space, then disengages quickly and explosively and makes a terrific play on the back. He clearly flashes decent ability and an understanding of how to play the position, but at times he looks like a freshman out there. And it’s not down to any lack of work ethic. Coaches say he’s the hardest working player on the team. Could end up having a really solid career playing as a three technique or could disappear without a trace.

For the Pirates, Dwayne Harris is their Josh Cribbs. A highly rated QB out of high school, he was the C-USA special teams player of the year in 2009. Shifted to WR, he makes plays with his hands at WR and his feet as a back. Made a stunning one hand stab in the 2nd quarter and generally flashed nice athletic ability. A junior, he’s said to be returning. Mitch Petrus is an underrated left guard with a good frame and good speed. It was a shame that Jay Ross rarely lined up over him as mano y mano would have been a good battle.

But it’s on defense where they have real ability and it starts up front with CJ Wilson at defensive end. Plays the weakside end, he does everything one paced, lots of effort, lots of hard work but oftentimes without great success. He’s decent as a pass rusher and is a constant thorn in the side of the left tackle. He’s not blessed with a great array of moves, but he has good hands, an excellent slap to disengage from the tackles hands, a very good bull rush and a nice outside in rush where he takes a hard step to the outside, then counters inside with a token hand and head move. In fact, I might not have seen an end all year who likes an inside rush as much as CJ. That bull rush is nice and it comes from his inside rush; he unnerves the tackle who's thinking about the outside/in and gets him to open his shoulders, giving him a bigger target to hit. He almost took Mallett down for a safety in the first quarter, moving the left tackle back into the QB who did well to stay on his feet, locking his arms and driving from his thick legs, then showing great hustle to get back down the field and make the tackle. The problem with CJ is that he’s not met a running play he likes. He’s up the field on every down and tends to make most of his plays in pursuit. At 6’3, 280 he’s quite a compact player and I wonder how much more weight he can add. I'm also not sure of his primary spot in a 4-3 given that he's not a run playing left end and he doesn't have the speed to play the right side. But he’s a four year starter and high character kid with 4thish round potential.

Jay Ross is a potential NT that I like for the Dolphins. He’s 6’3, 312 and looks like a classic one gap nose in the making. First of all he is a decent anchor with a good lower body and excellent bubble. I’d go as far as to say that he’s thick from top to bottom but that belies a little athletic ability under all that. In fact, he was flashing all through the game. At 8.49 in the first quarter he goes left at the snap straight past the center, then sees run to the opposite side of the field and changes direction very quickly to tackle the back from behind. His change of direction skills impressed me all game, as did his hands and his ability to stand his ground at the point of attack in taking on both single and, more impressively, double teams. He gets good extension and moves his feet through the block. All through the game he was getting continual penetration and moved well laterally. He didn’t do anything particularly special, but he was eating up the inside, forcing Mallett onto the move and shutting down the Razorbacks token ground game. He struggled with a foot injury last year and sat out all of spring, only really getting into his stride at the back end of the year. I really like Ross and think in that 4th/5th round area, someone’s going to get themselves a player.

Big Linval Joseph has already said he’s staying but he bears watching for 2010 because he has upside. In the secondary Van Eskridge is a downhill safety who brings the lumber from the FS spot but I wonder whether he’s not better suited to SS? He lined up in man a couple of times and has a very odd starting position; lines up straight on but with one foot way back behind the other as if he’s been frozen in time during his back peddle. A four year starter, he’s not athletically blessed but he looks very instinctive out there and he bears watching at the Shrine practices.

Air Force – Houston

Air Force against Houston was an interesting game in part because it featured back to back kick returns for touchdowns to start the second half. It also was the day when Houston junior Case Keenum decided to play the worst game of his college career. This is the second time I’ve seen him this year and my opinion on him is this: he reminds me of a scaled down Jay Cutler, especially in the pocket. He doesn’t have Cutler’s arm, but he is mechanically very sound and he’s got the quickest release of any draft eligible QB. He’s very pretty to watch in the pocket. He’s also very accurate. He can fire balls into the tightest of spaces and has extreme confidence in his ability. At 6’2, 215lbs, he will inevitably hear the Drew Brees comparisons, but whilst he gets the ball out quicker than the Saints QB, I’m not sure he has the touch on the deeper routes that Drew has. Now of course he’s putting up stratospheric numbers in a pure passing system so he’ll also have that to overcome, but I certainly think he has some worth with regards the next level. Keenum is weighing his options with regards this years draft, although I think it’s unlikely he’ll want this performance to be his final one for the Cougars. What immediately strikes you about him is his ability to manipulate the pocket with his feet. Displaying very good pocket footwork, he steps up to deliver throws when he feels backside pressure and he also isn’t frightened about taking off and getting real estate down the field and he looks very comfortable doing so. In fact, on a 4th down in the 4th quarter, he had a passage in front of him to easily get the first, but he inexplicably pulled up and looked for a receiver, pulled it down, avoided two tacklers and rolled out to his left, beat the defensive end to the edge and tip toed down the sideline for a first down. He takes almost all of his snaps from the shotgun and steps back quickly and efficiently with absolutely no wasted movement. He holds the ball relatively low, at about belly button height and is on the balls of his feet at all times. He has a whip release, the ball coming through very quickly and with some velocity, stepping confidently into the throw, although he seems to bounce back up on release and not rotate his back foot through fully. The ball comes out as a three quarter sidearm, especially when on the move. On release, his elbow is level with his breast, the ball delivered from about eye level and his follow through is very flat. It’s a tight spiral and eminently catchable, although when he hurries his throws, which he has an occasional tendency to do, the ball will come out very low. He had a number of passes batted down at the line of scrimmage, including a couple that led to picks and it may be that, at 6’2, an NFL coach will try and change his release point so that the ball comes out over the top, rather than at about eye level which it currently does. As I mentioned, generally he throws a very catchable ball, although at times when on the move you’d like to see him lead his receiver more. On the 3rd play of the Cougars second possession, he rolls out and freezes the safety with a little fake before firing it to a wide open receiver who drops it. But if Keenum leads him – and the receiver holds on – then he has a walk in touchdown. He can be guilty of trying to get the ball out too quickly which isn’t necessarily all his fault, given that it’s an integral part of the system he plays, bt he tends to take his quick drop and stare down his man. He’s also not a huge progressions guy, although again, the system dictates quick read, quick throw. At times he’s guilty of taking his first read, however difficult a throw, rather than waiting for the play to develop. With the ball coming out low anyway, he’s even more susceptible to picks than usual. He had a tipped ball pick on the 2nd possession, telegraphing it to James Cleveland. Remarkably that was the first of six interceptions on the day. But when he was on, he looked pretty good. He throws well on the move and with 3.40 to go in the half, he took the shotgun snap, 5 step drop and felt backside pressure so he hopped up into the pocket, sidestepping an onrushing defender and rolled right, then threw a laser back across his body between LB and safety for a first down. That was a big time throw. Generally he’s very accurate in the short to mid range area and to the sideline. He wasn’t helped through the game by a lot of dropped passes. I like Keenum a fair bit in the right system. He clearly has the footwork to operate from under center and the accuracy to complete passes, plus he can move around in the pocket and keep plays alive. He isn’t blessed with a monster arm but placed in the right offense, I absolutely think he can be successful. I’m not sure how much another year will improve his stock because essentially he’s going to go back to Houston and do the same thing next season as he did last, but we'll see how it plays out.

His primary target, senior James Cleveland did nothing all game, whilst his center Carl Barnett is a Melvin Fowler type, likely a career back up at best. He doesn’t display much in the way of strength at the point or a great understanding of angles – on the second play of Houston’s second possession they run a sweep through the D gap off right tackle. He engages with the DT briefly before attacking the MLB, his primary read. Only he’s knocked backwards because he takes a terrible angle and the MLB makes the tackle. He’s not a good run blocker at all and was being pulled out of the hole pretty easily on the rare occasions that the Cougars ran the ball. Understandably he stands up much better in pass pro, although he’s pretty stiff and at times was being walked back into Keenum.

For Air Force, only center Nick Charles holds any real value but I’m unsure of his military commitments. Also, because they run a triple option, 95% of his plays are cut blocks. On the rare occasions where he stands up and blocks, he’s actually not a bad technician, although when asked to move forwards, he will lean a little too much from the waist and put his head down.

Of the notable youngsters, Houston MLB Marcus McGraw made about twenty tackles and did a pretty nice job when covered up of making tackles at the second level and getting to the perimeter. Only a sophomore, at 5’11, 220 you hope he has some growing left in him.

Navy Missouri

There’s a smattering of quality prospects on the Mizzou team. Starting with WR Danario Alexander who has legitimate first round possibilities. Terrific size at 6’5, 211lbs, he opened the scoring on the second play of the game, taking a little WR screen the distance from 65+ yards. He looks very much like Calvin Johnson of the Lions; the NFL body and, once into his stride, he’s not going to get caught. A really long strider, he changed up a gear a couple of times and raced to the endzone in hugely impressive fashion. Physically he’s a gift; good upper body, well defined legs and tremendous wingspan; when he stands at the line of scrimmage, his arms go down beyond his knee. He has good not great hands and continued a trend of dropping balls – put a 3rd and 8 on the carpet that hit him right in the hands from Blaine Gabbert and he was doing the same thing with Chase Daniel in the past as well. An effective route runner, he does a good job of walling off the corner to make the catch, using his body to shut him out and when the ball’s in his hands, I’m not sure there’s another front line wideout in the draft who makes more use of the ball. His YAC numbers for this game alone were huge and when you see that he led the FBS with a 47.9 yard per touchdown catch average, you understand that he’s a deep threat as well. On short routes he tends to be a little lazy and doesn’t cut hard, using his head and his hips, rather than a sharp plant. The 7 out of 10 hands and routes aside, he has everything you look for in a high round WR. But the major problem with him is the three major knee operations that he’s had on his left knee subsequent to njuring it in the 2007 Big 12 Championship game against Oklahoma. And even two years on, he looks frightened of it. He looked cautious early in the season and in this game, when in space he’s fine, but when he’s encountering traffic, he becomes timid and protective and after contact he’d go to the sidelines and feel his knee a little and then come back in. He wears a pretty big knee brace on that left knee and whilst he has the first round skills, I could also see a scenario where he’s drafted late or even not at all, simply because he looks frightened. Real shame because he has enviable talent.

Tim Barnes, the Missouri junior at center has a high grade for 2011 – Mel Kiper’s 4th rated mike man - but he looks awfully mechanical. He wasn’t helped by Navy’s strange defensive line that consisted of 2 down linemen and then four players who would either rush the line or drop into coverage depending on the call.

The big name in the game was Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon who yet again didn’t disappoint and I’ve mentioned it before but it deserves a re-broadcast; at what point are we going to start talking about Weatherspoon as a Dolphin first rounder? OK, so not ideally suited to the 3-4, but as a playmaking ILB in a 3-4 who can get into the backfield and make plays, then there’s few better. More athletic ability than either Spikes or McClain, he’s physical, he can cover, he can attack the perimeter and whilst he’s not ‘outstanding’ at taking on blocks, he’s plenty good enough. He protects his lower body very well and is aware when getting through trash. This is a guy who worked extra practices with Jeremy Maclin so as to get better in coverage. Alen thinks he looks a bit heavy and a little less mobile this year. We disagree on so few things that this might be the only one. To me he looks as effective as he has done in the previous 4 years as a starter. He’s always been a very sudden player, a very good athlete who brings a tremendous pop on contact. You could tell in this game that he really hated playing Navy’s option, especially in his last game because he wanted to go out and run around and hit someone and play properly, but he spent much of the day chasing shadows, trying to sit between Ricky Dobbs and the man he was pitching the ball to. He lined up at all three spots in this one. When you watch him play the first thing you notice is that he takes a big hop forwards at the snap. But right from the start he was flashing big time ability, especially in space to make plays. Early first quarter he works quickly across the formation, avoiding trash and laying the lumber to a scrambling Dobbs on the perimeter, almost knocking him into the next state. What I like about him is that for someone who apparently can’t get off a block inside, he’s always moving and he’s never off his feet. He has a great understanding of what’s going on underneath him and is athletic enough to leap over blockers that others would simply go around. Some call it picking their way through trash, I prefer to see it as getting to the ball carrier and for someone who ‘picks his way through trash’, he makes an awful lot of tackles away from his starting position that other trash pickers could never make. e’s a fluid mover in space and for a 252lb linebacker, changes direction easily. At times he lined up as a 5th defensive lineman on the strong side, although that was mainly to counter the option, which he generally played with discipline. When he played at middle linebacker, he’s a downhill force; aggressive up and into the hole, sinking his hips and driving the ball carrier backwards. When he encounters linemen in the hole or at the second level, he’s physical although I’d like to see him use his hands a little better and more consistently. Perhaps he relies on that athletic ability a little too much at times rather than getting his hands up under the pads and tucking his elbows in. In coverage he has a very good back peddle, will flip his hips like a safety and can stick with backs or tight ends right down the field. I’m a big fan of this kid who graduated in three and a half years and is the team leader of this ball club. I absolutely cannot see a scenario where he falls out of round 1. Fun player to watch.

Of the youngsters on show, Blaine Gabbert, who took over from Chase Daniel has first round potential for 2011/12. A big arm with good ability in and out of the pocket, he has some growing to do and looks a little naïve and indecisive at times, which is to be expected. If he can take the next step, he could be a very nice prospect. At SS Missouri have Jarrell Harrison, a 6’2, 220lb JUCO transfer who was the #1 junior college safety to enter the major college ranks last season. I expect to be talking about him this time next year in superlatives because he has great closing speed and real aggression in taking on the run.

Virginia Tech – Tennessee

It all starts with the QB and I have to say John Crompton played some decent football in the second half of the season. He’ll get drafted and could get stored away as a prospect for down the line as he has a little bit of upside. He’s got a nice frame, is solid top to bottom physically, he delivers a well thrown ball down the field, carries out very good play action fakes and can make throws on the move. But he’s inconsistent and looks like a very rhythmic passer – when he’s out of that rhythm, he really struggles. UT fans are happy that the Crompton era is over, but for a QB’s coach who has patience, he might develop into a serviceable back up down the road. He was a 58% passer with a young receiver corps this year. He did however suffer what his father described as a very severe concussion at the end of this game and doctors gave him an immediate CAT scan as they feared he had a brain bleed. Luckily he didn’t but it will bear watching.

His back field buddy is running back Montario Hardesty who I admitted earlier to not being a great fan of. He’s a decent enough one cut runner who doesn’t particularly stand out as a ball carrier. He runs with power, but doesn’t have enough oomph into the hole or much of a second and third move to be elusive enough as a starting back at the next level. Blessed with very good lower body strength, he flashed it in the second quarter, getting out of a tackle by big Cordarrow Thompson by driving his legs, keeping his feet moving and going into score when Thompson had him bang to rights for a loss. He’s definitely a jack of all trades, master of none; he blocks well, he has terrific hands and, as evidenced when he took a screen pass 60+ yards to the one, he is very capable in the open field, although he lacks another gear to separate. He was a state 100m finalist in 2003 and ran the 100m in 10.36 which is .06 slower than CJ Spiller and .05 slower than Jahvid Best, but a ruptured ACL in 2005 against Ole Miss, which has required subsequent surgeries has robbed him of that speed. He simply doesn’t have the pace to consistently press the edge.

Josh McNeil is an undersized center who really struggled to hold up at the point against Cordarrow Thompson. A number off field incidents related to alcohol have tarnished his stay at UT including public intoxication charges, underage drinking issues and rather heroically, being found drunk in his campus bed with three women, all subsequently charged with underage consumption of alcohol! He also has some pretty serious knee issues which make him virtually undraftable.

Defensively Dan Williams is a player of great interest to many Dolphins fans with regards our NT position, but as I mentioned previously, I don’t think he fits us schematically. I don’t see him as a traditional one gap NT, in part because he’s wildly inconsistent, especially when anchoring. When you look at him he’s a big fella, with massive legs, but he doesn’t use them well. He doesn’t sit down as a tackle and soak up blocks to allow others to make plays around him like you’d expect a 1 gapper to do. He’s a much better player when asked to move, although he tends to get his head in the hole first when he gets penetration but doesn’t get his hips into it; laterally he’s beating the block with his head first and then his body. He needs to fill the hole with everything - head and hips together. He’s inconsistent at the snap; some times he pops up too high allowing his opponent inside him. Other times he explodes upwards and gets his hands inside the guard or center, although on repeated viewings this season, he’s really not as consistent with his hand usage as Suh or as violent as say Brian Price. I’m looking for a strong pop. It’s the most important part of the play because it allows you separation and if you can’t separate then you can’t play DT. You need tight elbows so that the opponent can’t lock on, and hands under the arm pit. I see a defensive tackle doing this, then I know who’s winning the play because now the tackle can steer and now the tackle has leverage. Watch Ndamukong Suh play. He looks like he's drivinga car because he mirrors and steers like a Hall of Famer. Unfortunately, Williams allows himself to get in too close to his opponent and then can’t get his arms up and extended and he has a tendency to drop one hand lower than the other at times which makes life even more difficult for him. He’s inconsistent getting the initial punch to the breastplate. On a number of occasions in this game he was stood up and could offer no pocket penetration head on. Anchoring is one thing, getting stoned to the point where you can neither move sideways or forwards because you can’t disengage is another. He was blown off the ball on the touchdown run that put Tech up 14-0, but as the game progressed he began to influence it more. With about 3.15 to go in the third, he gets leverage, but reads run and doesn’t blow up the field. He mirrors with a flat back and then disengages from admittedly a bad block and takes down Ryan Williams. Three plays later he beats another bad block from the center, is held but still closes quickly on Tyrod Taylor and nails him just as he gets rid of it. I’m wary of final year fast risers and guys with inconsistent effort. His upside is high but his downside is equally so.

At LB Rico McCoy is very small and active, although he can’t take on guards head on and can be overpowered by running backs. In space he’s excellent, but he has no ability to take on a block and make the tackle. Time and again Sergio Render was getting to the second level and obliterating him. He’s quick when uncovered to get out to the perimeter but at 220lbs, I almost wonder whether he might get moved perhaps to strong safety to take advantage of his size and speed.

It seems pointless writing about Eric Berry, much as it would be pointless to write about Ndamukong Suh. But one point of interest for me is that he’s being used in a vastly different way than in his previous two years at Tennessee. For whatever reason, Monte Kiffin is almost using him as a 4th linebacker, rather than a deep safety. He’s playing a lot closer to the line than normal and being asked to play nickel corner and in this game, he was far more involved in run than you’d want an athletic ball hawk to be. Couple that with the fact that he probably plays 10 plays or so at SS per game and you see why, despite the Thorpe Award, some people have considered this a down year for him. In this game he did very little but when asked, still flashed – with 6.34 to go in the half he made an early read of a screen and came up and made a form tackle, although he took a bad angle and missed a tackle on the first drive of the second half. These things are such a rarity that they almost become stories! When played as a natural free safety and allowed to read, react and break on the ball like he did in his first two years Knoxville, I think you have a can’t miss prospect with natural ability that exceeds that of Ed Reed. During the broadcast Matt Millen described him as 'doing the things you can’t coach' and that perfectly sums him up.

Of the underclassmen, Luke Stocker at tight end looks to have some upside although there comes a point where he has to translate that into success on the field.

As for Tech, they have some decent prospects all across the board including a couple that I am very interested in with regards Miami. It all starts with Tyrod Taylor who might not look an NFL QB at the moment, but he’s a lot better in ’09 than he was in ’08. Can he make a similar jump in 2010? What’s not up for discussion is the arm strength; the pass he threw seconds before half time displayed the sort of range that you only find with billion dollar military equipment. He bears watching.

Up front Taylor has two solid second level protectors in LT Ed Wang and LG Sergio Render who could both feature in the 4th/5th round area. Wang, a converted tight end, is well sized at 6’5 and 311lbs whilst Render is around 6’3, 319. Not glamorous, Render is a four year starter who’s played both guard spots as well as at center. He’s physical and does a good job drive blocking in the run game. He has some knee bend and will get his hands under his opponent. He’s got trunk sized legs and can extend his arms and steer his man. He also has some ability to move and can get out to either side although he is a little unbalanced at times, but when he pulls under control, then he can lock on at the second level and clear a lane. He was doing this to UT’s lightweight linebackers and neither McCoy or Herman Lathers had any answer. At the goal line he destroyed Dan Williams one on one, getting terrific leverage and forcing him out of the hole. But balance is a real issue with him. He will play a little high at times and he’ll widen his base and become unbalanced if jolted. He also has a tendency to sink his hips a little too low in pass protection, to almost squat so that again he’s not under control. Wang I’m a little ‘meh’ about. He doesn’t play with great toughness and whilst he has athletic flashes – he does well on the move – he tends to fall off blocks in the run game. Better in pass pro, I’d like to see him get his hands up quicker and turn his shoulders in. He has a tendency to keep his hands a little too far to the outside, leaving ample opportunity for an end to get on him, especially with that extra area to engage with.

Defensively Cody Grimm is everywhere but at 205lbs for a linebacker, unless he can play safety then he doesn’t stand a chance. That said, he has decent speed and terrific instincts, so who knows. Against the Seminoles earlier in the season, it was if there were eleven #26’s on the Hokie defense.

Up front, VT have one of those hybrid rush ends in Jason Worilds, who is very much like Von Miller of Texas A+M in terms of his skill set although he weighs in some 20lbs heavier at 263 and is actually a better player. What I like about Worilds is that he’s relentless, he’s extremely hard working and he never, ever gives up on a play. He’s explosive off the edge from the SDE spot, possessing a very quick first step, the ability to run the arc and neutralise a tackle in pass pro by his ability to dip his shoulder, crush his hips and accelerate through the back end of the block to open his shoulders and deliver a blow. He’s a two hands in the turf, backside in the air player at the snap, but against Nebraska earlier in the year he was absolutely dominant and Zac Lee must still be seeing him in his sleep. He’s also a terrific pursuit LB and will hustle 40 or 50 yards downfield at full speed to be in on a play. He was chasing Hardesty down from behind on the long screen pass. On run plays away from him, he’ll make every effort to be in on the tackle from behind – with 4.48 left in the 3rd he jumps a cut block by the tight end, flows down the line and hammers the sophomore TB Poole. He finished up the end of the game with a sack/strip of Jonathan Crompton. Unfortunately he didn’t display the ridiculous spin move that he showed against Nebraska which is a sight to behold. As a junior, if he comes out, I think he has the size and the physicality to play SOLB in the 3-4. Unquestionably. He's a player I think Miami will be watching.

Inside of Worilds is another player who I think Miami will have a significant interest in and that’s DT Cordarrow Thompson. 6’1 and a half and 311lbs, he anchors very well and is something of an immoveable object up front. He started this one slowly but got more and more involved as the game progressed. But what flashed at me throughout the game was his get off speed. For a man of that size it was remarkable. With 4.55 to go in the first half, he’s actually engaged before the right end’s left hand has left the ground. And if it was a delayed rush by the end, it was the only play in the entire game that he did it. Later, on the first play after the Tyrod Taylor touchdown, he has both hands on the RG before Worilds has moved an inch. Then at 8.42 in the 3rd, he’s beaten his man and is into the backfield before Worilds has even made any physical contact with the right tackle. I mean, this is serious explosion off the ball. And he’s doing this straight on with pure speed and aggression. He doesn’t always play with great leverage however, in part because he’s off the ball so quick that he’s not engaging naturally. At times he won’t get his hands up and will use his shoulder to get under a block rather than his hands. But he clearly has an understanding of how to play with leverage because he would get under the pads of the right guard or the center, get his hands under the arms and steer. Occasionally he would miss with his punch and lose the leverage battle and get turned out, but this happened fairly infrequently and on at least two plays, he rolled out of the block and got back into the play leaving his opponent on the floor. He soaked up blocks and allowed the really good young VT MLB Barquell Rivers to make plays. When he does engage properly, he possesses very good hands when in close. He gets them up, drives them through his opponent with a good pop and then creates himself decent separation to try and make a play. He missed a couple of key tackles – a sack when he allowed Crompton to escape when he had him bang to rights in the backfield and on the Montario Hardesty touchdown, he has him stuffed for a loss, but lets him out of his grasp and he goes in standing up. He’s not just a straight ahead anchor though. Thompson possesses some lateral ability as well and will chase down the field. Late in the game, Hardesty catches a little screen at midfield. Thomspon is about 7 yards away from him at the UT 49, but he hustles all the way down the field and makes the tackle from behind, as Hardesty is slowed up by traffic, at the VT 20. He’s a two year starter who looks like he needs to be coached a little better in how to play with leverage on every down and he tends to rely on speed a little too much rather than developing a decent rip or swim or a push/pull. But for me, the upside is very intriguing and because of his big girth - I really wrote that didn't I - and his ability to anchor I shall be following him with interest.

On the corner, VT have one of the brightest and best corners in the nation IMO, in Rashad Carmichael who might be the best CB no-one really knows a great deal about. It seems at this stage as though he’s going to return for his senior season, but he falls into that category of junior corners such as Amari Spievey, Prince Amukamara, Charles Brown and Chimdi Chekwa who will end up topping the 2011 CB class. And I think if he were to come out this year, he’d end up in round 1. I really do. Technique wise he has everything going for him; his stance is perfect at the snap and when the ball is snapped he comes off the front foot with no sudden distributions of weight that leave him off balanced. He has a very sweet, very clean back pedal – his feet are low to the ground and the steps are small. He’s beautifully balanced. Truly. I love grading corners – it really is my favourite position and Carmichael really looks the part. His transition is first rate. He breaks on the ball naturally and can flip his hips and change direction with ease. Down at the goaline in man he lines up in quite an unusual way, although I think he did this because he’s so smooth with his change of direction. He puts his left leg out in front, drops his right way back and turns his back to the QB, only looking at him, pre-snap, from over his shoulder. He did this a couple of times on the boundary to force the receiver to the sideline and challenge Crompton to beat him over the top. Which he didn’t. He’s very physical in run support and he also shows a great understanding of what it takes to play defense – coming off his route and breaking on an underneath ball to make an early interception. Fast, with a 100m time of 10.50 seconds, I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say Carmichael might be the best CB I’ve seen in 2009/10 (vs. FSU, Nebraska, Virginia and UT) not called Patrick Peterson. Oh and he’s played every special teams snap since joining the Hokies.

This is going to really annoy Alen but I actually really like FS Kam Chancellor. But I think if he’s to have any success as a pro, he has to move to strong safety. He has terrific size, very good speed, has played corner, rover and free safety at VT and has begun to iron out some of the consistency issues that have at times plagued him. Where he struggles – and why I believe he should be moved to SS – is in pass coverage in behind him because he’s so stiff hipped. He reads the play well in front of him, but ask him to turn and run and it’s over. I really like his range and I like the way he flows to the football and I love the way he hits. He’s big, a natural mover in space and as I said, when the play’s in front of him, he’ll do a terrific job of moving to it. He comes all the way across the formation from the strong side to lay the lumber on Gerald Jones down at the goaline early on and in fact almost got a hand in to knock the ball away which would have been some feat of athleticism. On the long Hardesty screen down to the 1, he does a nice job of disengaging in the middle of the field to the weakside and getting back in the play to pull down the back. In run support he’s aggressive and delivers form tackles. However, the big problem for him is turning and running, highlighted perfectly on the Denarius Moore dropped deep ball because he simply couldn’t get his body turned and his feet out from under him and Moore flies past. Fortunately for Chancellor the ball was dropped, but that shouldn’t take away from the issue. He’s sitting in a two deep zone and Moore runs straight at him, then runs a stripped down out and up. Kam sees it, takes a hard step outside and then is in no mans land as Moore turns back inside. Denarius head fakes to the outside at the UT 48 at which point Chancellor isn’t in the picture. At the VT 49 he’s half way through the head fake right on the hash marks. Kam is at the VT 41 yard line at this point. Moore turns out in the ‘out’ part of the out and up at the Tech 47, with Chancellor at the 41 and a half yard line, whereupon he - Kam - takes a hard step to get outside. But Moore turns back onto the route at the 46, whilst Chancellor is still bringing that back foot up. That foot is level with the front foot, but Moore is two yards further on at the 44 and he’s STILL facing the UT bench, with his back to the receiver when Denarius is at the 42. In fact, when Denarius is at the 39 three steps later, Chancellor is still ¾ facing the Tennessee bench. He finally has his hips and his body turned, facing the endzone to which Moore is running when Moore is at the VT 37. It takes Kam TEN YARDS of Moore’s route for him to turn and even be facing the right direction, let alone put one foot in front of the other and give chase. Now the one impressive thing about this play is that Crompton threw a beautiful ball, Moore doesn’t have to slow down for it and it hits him in stride, in the hands, at the 21 yard line. Given that he was going full speed when he blew past Chancellor and that Kam was going from a standing start, I was surprised to see the VT safety only 3 yards behind him when leather hit skin. Unfortunately this stiffed hipped display is indicative of his game; he literally stops his feet and can’t turn. You want to get out and oil those hips. But I can’t help but like the range when the ball’s in front of him and the athletic ability to close and deliver strikes in the run game. You protect him and you keep the play in front of him, then I think he can be a really solid pro.

Of the rest, the aforementioned VT ILB Barquell Rivers is going to be a stud and John Graves the Tech DE has some skills. Of course, Ryan Williams is a stallion at TB.

Finally for this section, Nebraska/Arizona and a truly dominating performance by Bo Pelini’s blackshirt defence in Ndamukong Suh’s final game as a Husker. Arizona QB Nick Foles has terrific upside as a passer and has the ability, if he stays for two more seasons, to leave the desert as a first round pick in 2012. But it wasn’t to be his night. Hassled all game by a ferocious front seven and with his receivers unable to get free and no discernible running game, he really struggled to gain any rhythm at all.

His center Colin Baxter enduring a tough night. The junior, like his QB has decent potential and whilst he managed to keep Suh from his QB, he was dominated by the big senior as well as his interior running mate Jared Crick.

On defense, the desert swarm had their sting removed. Big Earl Mitchell struggled to get a foot hold in the game and couldn’t generate much of a push inside either in collapsing the pocket or in shutting down the run game. A converted tight end, he has plenty of upside though and at 6’2, 295 he should come off the board somewhere in the 3rd/4th round area. He lacks top level explosion off the snap and too often allowed Nebraska’s guards to get into him, leaving him struggling on the play. He does however possess very active hands which bode well for his NFL future because he has the ability to disengage and knife through the backfield, although once he’s created the space with his hands, he needs to make better use of his arms, which sounds strange, but he seems to lack the killer move that would move him to an elite level. At times he would play a little high and lose the leverage battle, but he rarely displayed anything other than good technique in his lower half - solid leg drive, good knee bend. He’s very athletic – was a standout prep high jumper – and he has some upside.

The most disappointing player was PAC 10 sack leader Ricky Elmore Jr. who was consistently stoned by Nebraska’s very good looking RT DJ Jones. He also had a couple of key penalties and couldn’t set the edge in the run game.

In the secondary, Devin Ross is one of the better cornerbacks in the class and will probably end up in the first three rounds. Undersized physically at around 175lbs, he looks a lot stronger and plays an aggressive brand of football more reminiscent of a 200lber. He’s an elite open field tackler, displaying top level aggression and form tackling to come up in run support and take on backs or tight ends. With nine minutes left in the first half, Nebraska ran a fake handoff inside to Birkhead and the back up QB kept it and ran off left tackle. Ross fought through the block on the edge and came up and made the stop. Then two plays later, he broke well on a ball thrown behind Niles Paul and should have had a pick 6. He gets low in his back pedal, although at times he looks a little hesitant during his transition, especially in zone coverage. There was a play early in the first quarter when in man zone on Niles Paul he was a little off balance and seemed a little unsure of his place in the zone and whether he should follow Paul more closely or allow the safety to come across. He continued to show occasional hesitation in transition when not in man coverage. However, when he WAS in man, he looked a lot more decisive, although he was unfortunate to give up a long touchdown to Paul when he slipped coming out of his back pedal, allowing the junior to get down the field for six. Generally Paul had the better of him, although Ross was playing mostly zone reads.

Inside at safety, all Cam Nelson ever does is make tackles. He played as a spy earlier in the season on Jeremiah Masoli when I saw them play the Ducks and is active and athletic around the formation. He’s excellent going forwards in space and can get outside and make tackles on the perimeter. He’s also a key contributor on special teams. He strikes me as a solid late round pick up or priority free agent type who will do a solid job on the coverage units.

For Nebraska it was a very different story, despite only one offensive play from the season’s biggest weapon, TB Roy Helu. It was also an opportunity to see the leg of, IMO, the nations best kicker Alex Henery. A junior, he has legitimate NFL talent and has only ever missed 2 kicks under 50 yards. He also has a 60+ yard leg despite his slight frame. Kickers rarely come out early so his progress should be fun to chart in 2010.

Up front Jacob Hickman at the mike did a decent job at the point of attack. At times he gets a little off balanced in pass protection because his base is too narrow and he can get a little stiff and he struggles to maintain his balance on the move. But in that phone booth area inside, he displays the requisite aggression and delivers a good initial jolt.

DJ Jones at right tackle did a terrific job on Elmore, especially for a back up. He stoned the PAC 10 sack leader, displaying good hands and quick, fast feet. He’s out of his stance in a hurry, sits down, drops his hips and played a great game.

The star of the game was junior WR Niles Paul who looks a little like OJ McDuffie and not just because of the #24 on his back. At 6’1, 215 he’s going to be one of those players who’s going to be selected in something like the second or third round region next year – he’s a junior – and will surprise in the pros, mainly because of the system that Nebraska plays which doesn’t suit his style. But he has immediate attraction because of his ability as both a kick and punt returner – he had a long return to open the second half and on offense he flashed early with good open field speed on a reverse and when he was in the open field he’s strong and fast and tough to bring down. He’s an improving route runner from where he was a year ago and whilst Devin Ross slipped on the 74 yard touchdown, he slipped in part because of a good fake by Paul. Later in the game, he ran a precise square in, in front of Ross, again showing good feet and hips during the route. He certainly bears close scrutiny heading into the 2010 season.

On defense it starts and finishes with Ndamukong Suh, a player I first mention two seasons ago and then eulogised about here last year and in the Sentinel. This is what I wrote then:

"Three players who considered leaving but never seriously took it on board are also three players who I’m certain Miami would have had tremendous interest in, being as they fill critical positions on defense. The first is Nebraska DT Ndamakong Suh who blew me away when I sat down and watched his film. A coaches dream; dedicated team captain, the strongest player Bo Pelini has ever coached - Pelini was until 2008 the defensive co-ordinator at LSU and in charge of amongst others Glenn Dorsey - and a guy who loves to play football, loves to practice and wants to try and bring the Blackshirts back to some sort of national prominence. In terms of his draft stock, he'd been flying under the radar a little but what you have is a guy at around 300lbs who is as strong as the proverbial ox, who plays with quickness, leverage and tremendous hands. What his declaration would have meant for Miami is that he looks to me like a perfect 3-4 NT. Why? Because of his strength, because of his base and because of the way he soaks up blockers with ease, then turns them lose with remarkable quickness and hands to make plays. And he's no one trick pony; he can collapse a pocket, he can blow up run plays and he brings a relentless nature out on the perimeter and down the field. What you notice immediately about Suh is the get off; the ability at the snap to get out of his stance and into the lineman quicker than his opponent. He plays with a flat back, but he’s perfectly balanced: knees are bent, his bubble (backside) is in good position and he's not narrow with his base. No way that you're going to rock anyone back with starting technique like that. And coupled with a strong base is genuine brute strength, Down after down in three separate games he was almost always doubled with two linemen from the start of the play to it's conclusion, chipped by the C helping out the RG or chipped by a combination of the back or the tight end. What I love about him is that he’s athletic enough to collapse a pocket, stout enough to hold up at the point and walk two men back into the run lane and he possesses a great array of moves, a swim, a rip and most notably the push pull for which he excels at. He gets his hands in perfect position to create separation and seems at times, unblockable. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Suh, despite being an underclassmen, would have been one of the most highly rated players on our board. Unfortunately, if he continues his upswing, I see no way that he gets out of the top 10 next year. Rest assured, this kid would have been front and centre for us at pick 25."

Apart from everything else, what stands out for me about Suh is that he’s the only defensive lineman in the FBS to lead his team in tackles. Now if Nebraska had a bad defense, I could understand that more. But they don’t. They have one of the best defenses in the nation. That’s a terrific indictment of his skills. Craig James in commentary also touched upon a couple of factors that really stood out about him that you sort of take for granted; he first is his patience. He’s so quick and decisive, that his patience is almost overlooked. The second is that James referred to him as playing with a flat back and it’s a) true and b) very rare and it’s such a rarely used statement. Joel Buchsbaum used to refer to it and it describes Suh perfectly because it means he plays with such balance, he’s never being manipulated out of shape by his opponent and most of all he’s playing with a perfect base. Suh is the best defense defensive lineman I’ve ever seen in college and I’d have to think long and hard if I’ve seen a better defensive player period.

It will be interesting to see what sort of year Jared Crick puts in, in 2010. I think Crick also possesses 1st round talent, but what I like about his is that he doesn’t make plays BECAUSE of Suh, he makes them AS WELL as Suh. He doesn’t piggy back off his teammates success to create his own play by play victories. Of course, he benefits from the constant double and triple teams afforded to his DT mate, but it would be a fallacy to think that Crick is going one on one down after down because that simply isn’t true. He has elite level quickness and a good awareness for the football.

Barry Turner had a decent game on the edge. Not overly talented in any department, at 6’3 and 260lbs, he has later round possibilities in a 3-4. He was getting after Nick Foles with a decent pass rush.

Whilst not possessing as many NFL level players as North Carolina, there’s still some pretty fine talent beyond the defensive line. Philip Dillard certainly wouldn’t look out of place in that Tar Hell linebacking corps and he had a terrific game. He’s a player that continually leaps out you. At 6’1, 242lbs, he carries something of the underrated tag for me. A classic 4-3 WLB, he has the ability to get off blocks at the second level in the run game and is one of the best pass defending linebackers in the draft. Dillard is a sound tackler who dips his hips and strikes but it’s in coverage where I really wanted to point out how effective he is. Dillard has a tendency to play about 15 or 20% of his snaps at MLB and he will do a nice job of recognising crossing routes in front of him and can pick up a tight end coming across the formation. He showed good recognition of the passing game with 1.43 to play in the first quarter: Arizona had a three wide receiver set to the weakside. Dillard had the slot man in one on one coverage, but the boundary receiver came in motion. Prince Amukamara started to come and follow him, but Dillard immediately motioned for the talented junior corner to stay, for the middle cover man to sit in on Dillard’s man and Dillard followed the motioning wideout. Foles hands to the receiver and Philip comes round the formation and meets him at the edge with force for a minimal gain. Later in the second quarter he’s running 35 yards down field with Nic Grigsby on a sweet looking post pattern and is glove tight. And he’s not just a ‘runner’. He actually has the ability to turn and look for the ball. It’s impressive stuff. As a run defender, he can get out and make plays on the sideline, although he has a tendency to pick the wrong hole in the run game and can get a little overpowered in close to the line of scrimmage which may ultimately affect his final grade. I made mention of his form tackling earlier; he also brings the leather, cracking the back on a shovel pass at the end of the first half and delivering a strike to Grigsby on the edge in the 4th quarter. He reminds me of a bigger version of Ian Gold. I like Dillard.

In the secondary Matt O’Hanlan isn’t flashy but he makes plays. Not blessed with elite size or speed, he’s the sort that will make an immediate impact on special teams and as a free safety, he gets his hands on a lot of passes; an early pick against Arizona, three picks of Landry Jones in the win against Oklahoma, etc. He also shows good recognition and quick twitch ability to get to the edge and attack a ball carrier. I rarely see him out of position and he looks a better prospect than someone like the former Purdue safety Stuart Schweigert who was picked in round 2 by Oakland.

The other safety Larry Asante always strikes me as a stride slow to react and not great in coverage. However, he wasn’t threatened at all through the air, save for one decent pass deflection while chasing Grigsby down the middle.

I mentioned Prince Amukumara after the Oklahoma game and he’s one of the brightest corners in the nation. He’s already said he’s staying for his senior year which is very wise given he’s only recently transferred from wide receiver. But Arizona never once looked his way which, given that Foles is a fine passing QB says a great deal about how tight he was playing his man. He looks more slight than he actually is, although he looks a little thin in the arms. He does however possess excellent feet and isn’t afraid to tackle.

More to follow.