1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking ahead to 2010 prospects

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by joeydolfan, Apr 29, 2009.

1. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    have you scouted OLB Witherspoon yet from Mizzou? I havent had a chance yet.

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I would really like to get Joe Pawalek by the way.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nope. Its tough for me to get Missouri games here for some reason. I'll only have them on once on television this entire year and I just found out its this Friday at 9 PM against Nevada so that's the day to watch him. :up:

adamprez2003 likes this.
  4. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    He is an outstanding LB. If we ran a 4-3, I would've been all over that kid in the first round last year (if he had come out) !! reminds me of a Jonathon Vilma type player. He might make a very good Weak ILB.???? He's a born football player! One of my favorite guys in the draft.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  5. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    LOL, well said, sir.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    yeah yeah yeah.... knock the sir crap off!! :tongue2:

7. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Ma'am? :confused2:

:shifty:

:lol:

8. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    :sidelol: :angry: LOL

9. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    What players should we look out for in the Mississippi Vs SC Game?

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Thursday night game, right?

Mississippi:

DE/OLB Greg Hardy
    QB Jevan Snead
    S Kendrick Lewis

South Carolina:

LT Jarriel King
    OLB Eric Norwood

That's what I've got.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  11. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Norwood drives me nuts...sometimes he looks like a first rounder and sometime he looks like he could not make a High School roster.........

alen1 likes this.
  12. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I'm excited to watch Snead. After a bad game, he came back with a good game.

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Watch Greg Hardy play. Very odd dude but a helluva talent. I hope Miami takes him even though I have some worries with him.

14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    How about Miss's mammoth guard, John Jerry? I'll be keeping an eye on him this year.
    Posted via Mobile Device

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm not familiar with him. Just looked him up and he is very heavy. 350? Wow.

16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm sure he can probably drive block, but I'd like to see how nimble he is in pass pro.;)
    Posted via Mobile Device

17. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    He is a talent. What are his issues? Thoughts of suicide? Character? Confidence?

18. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm a fan of what Montario Hardesty did to Florida a very tough physical runner.

Also big fan of Eric Decker WR from Minnesota. It hink he could be a solid Receiver in the NFL but I get the feeling he will be playing in MLB.

And for my Homer pick I think regardless of depth at DE we have to take a look at Cameron Heyward.

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    It's character. There's a lot that one could go into but to sum it up, he's very bizarre. He's got a short attention span, so short that he'll be going to practice and a friend will pull him and offer him to go to the mall and Greg will go. Just skips practice like that. KB's brought up the marijuana issue in the past. Greg's about the money from what I understand. He's got a small business of designing I believe and he's making small amounts of money off that right now. Uhm...he suffered a stress fracture last year I believe or it may have been two years ago but he ended up forgetting his shoes in Mississippi when they traveled to play Alabama so he wore a teammates shoes that were two sizes smaller and he re-injured his foot. He had a career game that day and I believe he had 8.5 sacks in only nine starts that year. I've got quotes from his high school coaches and Ole Miss coaches that I've saved from reading in the past, just have to dig it up. He refers to himself as DK, which are initials or a name that means "Warrior" in African. Also, he's not exactly "team oriented", as he'll avoid talking to people and he just zones out. One time in high school, he went in the film room to watch "tape" and later it was found out that he was watching Jerry Springer or some cartoon on the big screen instead of tape. There's more to it, quite a bit more, I just have to dig it up.

20. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Wow. Honestly, that's enough right there. I doubt Miami drafts him with all those red flags.

21. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I've always been impressed with him, but I think he would be more suited as a 3-4 DE than 4-3 DE.

22. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I agree 100%

Right now he plays End and DT. They move him around but he is a force on the D-Line. I think he is a prime target for all 3-4 teams.

23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah but what you have to remember is all of these things have occurred in the last six to seven years. This year, its different. Houston Nutt says how much he's changed. How he's more of a teammate, he's pushing to be the best, he wants to prove that the Ole Miss defensive line is the best and he wants to improve his stock.

24. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    It's good to hear he is changing. But with all those red flags, I doubt Miami drafts him. There will always be the fear of him reverting back to his old ways.

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Agreed.

26. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    If Eric Berry drops to Miami's pick(whatever it might be), do you guys think we draft him? We need a ballhawk in our secondary, and he could be the perfect fit.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  27. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I don't think there is any chance of Berry dropping. Unless were picking top 10 I don't think we have a shot at him.

28. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm of the mindset that players like Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins come along once every 5-10 years, so if you get a chance to draft one, then you do so without hesitation. I'd love a ball hawk in the secondary added to Davis and Smith. Could you imagine how many picks we'd have with those 3 with great QB pressure!! Our secondary would be a nightmare!

I've said it before, but I'd trade future picks for a player like Berry...and use our pick for McClain or Spikes. I also think McClain is one of those guys who comes along once every 5 year. Same goes for Spiller. ;)

Anonymous likes this.
  29. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Makes you wonder though how much of that is because he is a senior and could be making a lot of money next year. Teams are really going to have to do their homework on him. When it's all said and done though I figure he ends up in Cincy.

30. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Vontae fell to 26....so it is possible to see Berry fall to 15ish....especially if Mays is higher on most teams boards. All depends on who's drafting where.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Anonymous likes this.
  31. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Vontae was never the player Berry is thats a huge difference.

32. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Davis was expected to be a top 10 pick like Eric Berry was, but he still fell. You never know who's going to drop during the draft.

I agree with ToddPhins. I wouldn't go overboard, but I would trade future picks to get another first this year. The talent is this draft is amazing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

33. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    This all assuming Berry decides to leave. I'm sure he will but you never know. The thing with Berry that could cause him to drop is the fact he is a safety. The guy is definitely a playmaker but I don't think teams picking in the top ten are going to go after guys at other positions first. Berry is top ten talent that's for sure, but I see him probably ending up somewhere around 12-15 on draft day. The Davis comparison I think is off because Davis isn't the same player Berry is and I don't think was ever considered a top ten pick. He has top ten talent that's for sure but there were those off the field red flags that made people wary.

34. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Davis was never the player Berry is though thats what I'm trying to say. Both are gifted athletes but Berry made bigger plays.

IMO Berry wont fall he is too good. Well I guess he could fall if he gets in trouble with the law or injured.

35. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Hardy is another Briarcrest kid. (Oher's HS) Hardy is from a more rural area of Shelby County (Memphis) but apparently from what I have heard his "odd" nature did not start at Ole Miss, but I guess he did what was expected at Briarcrest and fit in when in a structured setting. You are going to have to do a lot of convin Lucy to convice NFL guys that this year "he matured" or "presto the light went on" after being of not so sound character for 7-8 years.............see ya in round 4 Greg.............

ToddsPhins likes this.
  36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    His odd character did start prior to Briarcrest High but a lot of the characters do due to the environment around them. Its very poor and a lot of these guys have either been on the street an exposed to gangs/drugs because of their parents own troubles or they have been sheltered and then got education at Briarcrest High. Its a rich school but they like to take on reclamation projects, I guess you can call it.

The issues with him are not like legal troubles, though. His issues are not team destroying either. They're simply the way he lives his life. He just has or hasn't had any order or discipline in his life up until now. He doesn't do awful things, they are moreso dumb and "different" things. Hugh Freeze, his HS coach, said that Hardy isn't a bad kid. He's just different. He, like Oher coming out, has to be sat down and explained things because it doesn't always click immediately. Freeze has also said that sometimes, you have to let Hardy win arguments because it raises his confidence and his confidence makes him play better. Every time I've watched him on the field, I don't see him taking plays off as some indicate. He's a disruptive force and his numbers indicate that. He's productive and he works his *** off.

my 2 cents likes this.
  37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    You guys misunderstood me. I'm not comparing Vontae to Berry. I'm comparing his draft situation to Berry's. Vontae was the #1 or #2 DB depending on whom you asked. He was easily top 15 talent that fell to 26. So it's very possible that a Top 10 talent like Berry falls to 20th, especially this year.
    Posted via Mobile Device

38. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    He could fall if most of the top 15 picking teams have greater need than safety. LOL
    Posted via Mobile Device

39. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Somewhat true but Berry is the best defensive player in the draft IMO. Maybe not 5 but 6-9 Berry will be picked.

40. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Talent and performance aren't the same thing, however. Vontae is a very good talent but he had coverage lapses, he disappeared against the run and there was times where he would be circling around or just jogging. Go watch him against Ohio State last year and all of those things listed above will be on display. That's just one of the games. I think Eric Berry is a different kind of player; his talent matches his performance. At some point, if he was to fall out of the top five or seven, a team is going to look at him and think "I can't pass this guy up. Too talented" IMO. Would not surprise me to see a team like Kansas City take him or Seattle. Maybe St. Louis too. I know they aren't sold on OJ Atogwe. Those three teams could be picking early IMO.

ToddsPhins and BuckeyeKing like this.