Looking ahead to 2010 prospects

1582 replies

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Dec 12, 2009, 09:15 PM

Toby Gerhart will probably go back to Stanford. He's not getting as high a grade as he expects. Matt Forte, Brian Leonard arent really setting the world on fire and I dont see Gerhart getting anything higher than a 3rd round grade. I would imagine he sees himself as better than that



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

vmarcilfan75vmarcilfan75Supporter
Dec 12, 2009, 09:57 PM

Toby's a SR.

ALalen1New Member
Dec 12, 2009, 10:03 PM

"vmarcilfan75 wrote:

Toby's a SR.

Yeah that's what I noticed as well but apparently he has another year left because he redshirted in '07.

vmarcilfan75vmarcilfan75Supporter
Dec 12, 2009, 10:05 PM

yeah i just read that
why dont they have him as RS JR :dunno:

ALalen1New Member
Dec 12, 2009, 10:09 PM

"vmarcilfan75 wrote:

yeah i just read that
why dont they have him as RS JR :dunno:

Wondering the same.

ALalen1New Member
Dec 13, 2009, 10:25 AM

A very interesting name is Ali Villanueva. 6'10, 285 pound tight end who made the transition from Tackle and he's a Belgium kid. Caught him yesterday in the Navy-Army game.

JIjim1New Member
Dec 13, 2009, 10:38 AM

"alen1 wrote:

A very interesting name is Ali Villanueva. 6'10, 285 pound tight end who made the transition from Tackle and he's a Belgium kid. Caught him yesterday in the Navy-Army game.

Who's the guy who used to be in your avatar?

ALalen1New Member
Dec 13, 2009, 11:01 AM

"jim1 wrote:

Who's the guy who used to be in your avatar?

Arsene Wenger.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Dec 13, 2009, 11:12 AM

you may want to explain who he is Alen for us soccer neophytes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars%C3%A8ne_Wenger

Arsène Wenger, OBE[2] (born 22 October 1949 in Strasbourg) is a French football manager who has managed English Premier League side Arsenal since 1996.[3] He is the most successful manager in the history of Arsenal in terms of trophies and is also the club's longest-serving manager.[3][4] Wenger is the only non-British manager to win the Double in England, having done so in 1998 and 2002. In 2004, he became the only manager in FA Premier League history to go through the entire season without defeat. Wenger is widely regarded as one of the world's best managers after the success he has enjoyed at AS Monaco and Arsenal. Wenger has a degree in Electrical Engineering and a master's degree in Economics[5] from Strasbourg University and is fluent in French, German, Spanish and English; he also speaks some Italian and Japanese.[6]



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

ALalen1New Member
Dec 13, 2009, 11:36 AM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

you may want to explain who he is Alen for us soccer neophytes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars%C3%A8ne_Wenger

Arsène Wenger, OBE[2] (born 22 October 1949 in Strasbourg) is a French football manager who has managed English Premier League side Arsenal since 1996.[3] He is the most successful manager in the history of Arsenal in terms of trophies and is also the club's longest-serving manager.[3][4] Wenger is the only non-British manager to win the Double in England, having done so in 1998 and 2002. In 2004, he became the only manager in FA Premier League history to go through the entire season without defeat. Wenger is widely regarded as one of the world's best managers after the success he has enjoyed at AS Monaco and Arsenal. Wenger has a degree in Electrical Engineering and a master's degree in Economics[5] from Strasbourg University and is fluent in French, German, Spanish and English; he also speaks some Italian and Japanese.[6]

Wenger's the true teacher. He, along with his staff, identify young talents around the world that are usually under 19 and purchases them for an extremely low price; i.e. $350,000. He builds them up mentally and physically and when he feels it is their time to go, he sells them for millions. He once bought Nicolas Anelka, a striker of France, for $800,000 IIRC and sold him for $22.5M.

JIjim1New Member
Dec 13, 2009, 11:54 AM

"alen1 wrote:

Wenger's the true teacher. He, along with his staff, identify young talents around the world that are usually under 19 and purchases them for an extremely low price; i.e. $350,000. He builds them up mentally and physically and when he feels it is their time to go, he sells them for millions. He once bought Nicolas Anelka, a striker of France, for $800,000 IIRC and sold him for $22.5M.

Never heard of him, but he looked familiar, and he looks like an interesting fellow. I like this quote:

"There is no better psychological education than growing up in a pub... I learned about tactics and selection from the people talking about football in the pub - who plays on the left wing and who should be in the team."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars%C3%A8ne_Wenger

ALalen1New Member
Dec 13, 2009, 11:57 AM

Wenger's brilliant. He's done a great amount for the English game.

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Dec 13, 2009, 12:33 PM

"alen1 wrote:

A very interesting name is Ali Villanueva. 6'10, 285 pound tight end who made the transition from Tackle and he's a Belgium kid. Caught him yesterday in the Navy-Army game.

From what I'm reading, he didn't make the transition from Tackle to Tight End, he made it to Wide Receiver.

He's certainly really intriguing, but there's the military issue. I've read that he has to give at least two years of active service before he can apply to be released and play football professionally, but I don't remember Kyle Eckel having to do that either.

JIjim1New Member
Dec 13, 2009, 12:39 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

From what I'm reading, he didn't make the transition from Tackle to Tight End, he made it to Wide Receiver.

He's certainly really intriguing, but there's the military issue. I've read that he has to give at least two years of active service before he can apply to be released and play football professionally, but I don't remember Kyle Eckel having to do that either.

A 6-10 285 lb WR? It's a brave new world.

ALalen1New Member
Dec 13, 2009, 01:26 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

From what I'm reading, he didn't make the transition from Tackle to Tight End, he made it to Wide Receiver.

He's certainly really intriguing, but there's the military issue. I've read that he has to give at least two years of active service before he can apply to be released and play football professionally, but I don't remember Kyle Eckel having to do that either.

You're correct, he was moved to wide receiver but he's viewed as a tight end at the next level. He's been invited to the East-West Shrine Game.

Yeah, two years but I think you can be released early.

BoomerBoomerLuxury Box
Dec 14, 2009, 06:42 AM

I watched Idaho on Saturday night and got to see Iupati for the first time. This kid is a beast. If Smiley's shoulder is done, then despite the invested money on the OL, there are worse options.

I am the sweat not the swagger.

LALane1974New Member
Dec 14, 2009, 08:14 AM

FYI guys, I didn't want to start a thread on it, and I definitely don't want to be seen as spamming, so mods, feel free to delete this, but a semi-big blog site where I am the Miami Heat blogger is looking for an NFL Draft Blogger for this year... I know a lot of great Draft writers are on our board, so I figured I'd ask... so PM me and I'll let you know where to contact who you'd need to (or at least check their site out)

Suck for Luck
Cries and Moans for Landry Jones
Thinking Darkly for Matt Barkley
Stink Like a Turd for Robert Griffin 3rd
Quit Succeedin' get Brandon Weeden

ALalen1New Member
Dec 14, 2009, 10:40 AM

"Boomer wrote:

I watched Idaho on Saturday night and got to see Iupati for the first time. This kid is a beast. If Smiley's shoulder is done, then despite the invested money on the OL, there are worse options.

Iupati is very good. Really like him pulling and he creates massive holes. I just don't like how hops and flips his hips when pulling.

"Lane1974 wrote:

FYI guys, I didn't want to start a thread on it, and I definitely don't want to be seen as spamming, so mods, feel free to delete this, but a semi-big blog site where I am the Miami Heat blogger is looking for an NFL Draft Blogger for this year... I know a lot of great Draft writers are on our board, so I figured I'd ask... so PM me and I'll let you know where to contact who you'd need to (or at least check their site out)

Contacted.

my 2 centsmy 2 centsForum Veteran
Dec 14, 2009, 11:14 AM

"alen1 wrote:

Iupati is very good. Really like him pulling and he creates massive holes. I just don't like how hops and flips his hips when pulling.

IMHO he will be gone before we target that position .... but he does not look like the type guy that would "fit" in Miami ... again IMHO only ..... but a DAMN good player I agree FWIW .... I personally think you look at a more "in line" power and strength guy that can handle some slants and quick pulls with some limited area quickness, rather than a open field athletic pulling guard (they traded Satele if they really wanted that) and I do understand Iupati is much more than JUST that..... and I would look for a guy with a lot of starts in a major conference....so I personally look at someone like John Jerry from Ole Miss or Mike Johnson from Alabama......the other guys I would look at a some athletically limited OT's that project to be guards but still have enough AA to move in small areas and have some versatility in that they CAN play OT for short periods....guys like Chris Scott from Tennessee or Kyle Jolly from UNC......... thoughts?



ALalen1New Member
Dec 14, 2009, 11:18 AM

Vladimir Ducasse is rated as the top OG on Scouts big board lol.

Dec 14, 2009, 11:22 AM

And is way up there on PFW's draft rankings that they sent out to subscribers.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

PRPrime TimeNew Member
Dec 14, 2009, 01:40 PM

Where are the best places to buy Draft subscriptions online?

ALalen1New Member
Dec 14, 2009, 03:02 PM

"Prime Time wrote:

Where are the best places to buy Draft subscriptions online?

I don't have any but I've heard NFL Draft Scout is pretty good for the price. I think Die_Nasty has it, IIRC so you might want to PM him.

BoomerBoomerLuxury Box
Dec 14, 2009, 05:08 PM

"my 2 cents wrote:

IMHO he will be gone before we target that position .... but he does not look like the type guy that would "fit" in Miami ... again IMHO only ..... but a DAMN good player I agree FWIW .... I personally think you look at a more "in line" power and strength guy that can handle some slants and quick pulls with some limited area quickness, rather than a open field athletic pulling guard (they traded Satele if they really wanted that) and I do understand Iupati is much more than JUST that..... and I would look for a guy with a lot of starts in a major conference....so I personally look at someone like John Jerry from Ole Miss or Mike Johnson from Alabama......the other guys I would look at a some athletically limited OT's that project to be guards but still have enough AA to move in small areas and have some versatility in that they CAN play OT for short periods....guys like Chris Scott from Tennessee or Kyle Jolly from UNC......... thoughts?

Don't buy that. He's a 3 year starter and does a phenomenal job at the point of attack. He bends, he's strong as an ox and he engulfs you. Then he flashes big time athleticism for a guy his size on the move. He gets great leverage, locks and redirects. I also like Mike Pouncey at Florida although I think his brother's better. Rodney Hudson at FSU should add some weight because if he beefs up, then he has a future because he's tremendous at the second level.

I am the sweat not the swagger.

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Dec 14, 2009, 08:24 PM

"my 2 cents wrote:

IMHO he will be gone before we target that position .... but he does not look like the type guy that would "fit" in Miami ... again IMHO only ..... but a DAMN good player I agree FWIW .... I personally think you look at a more "in line" power and strength guy that can handle some slants and quick pulls with some limited area quickness, rather than a open field athletic pulling guard (they traded Satele if they really wanted that) and I do understand Iupati is much more than JUST that..... and I would look for a guy with a lot of starts in a major conference....so I personally look at someone like John Jerry from Ole Miss or Mike Johnson from Alabama......the other guys I would look at a some athletically limited OT's that project to be guards but still have enough AA to move in small areas and have some versatility in that they CAN play OT for short periods....guys like Chris Scott from Tennessee or Kyle Jolly from UNC......... thoughts?

I'd disagree, they most certainly want pulling guards. They signed Justin Smiley basically minutes into free agency in '08. He was the first player signed, and Smiley is basically a pretty good pass protection, a mediocre in-line guy, and an excellent pulling guard.

Justin Smiley when he's healthy is nice, but Iupati reminds me of Jamie Nails. And Jamie Nails was a bad mother****er. Justin Smiley swings around the edge with a defensive back infront of them they're like "OK slow down and play the block and try not to get knocked down". When Jamie Nails pulled, defensive backs were like "****" and then "****"