1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking ahead to 2010 prospects

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by joeydolfan, Apr 29, 2009.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    There are a reported seven teams that have been showing interest in defensive tackle D'Anthony Smith of Lousiana Tech since August. Four of those seven teams have been confirmed and they are the Buccaneers, Jaguars, Falcons and Giants. I am going to guess that the Chargers are one of those remaining three teams but I don't know for sure. I can't say if Miami is interested or not. I know they've been doing their homework on several players, as evidenced in this great thread by Ck and I know they like small school players.

Moving on, some thoughts on Smith. Smith is listed at 6'2", 300 lbs. and from what I've watched of him, he reminds me of another Alex Magee, who went to the Chiefs in this past draft, from Purdue. I figure he could be a one gap player or a 3-4 defensive end. He's got pretty good quickness, very good strength, shows the ability to disengage, versatile as he's played end and tackle and than he's also shown of doing a good job of setting the edge. Also, he's got good lateral quickness and can make plays on his feet, which is something I think this organization looks for. However, what's stood out to me about him at defensive tackle was that his pad level tends to get high. His high pad level as well as him sometimes not having his shoulders squared gets him in trouble because he loses leverage and therefore, he's knocked back, gets stood up and fails to make the play. Also, he doesn't always wrap up when tackling. Actually I've seen it several times in the one tape that I watched. Other times, when he's disciplined and playing with the right mindset, he shows a good bulrush and the ability to collapse the pocket with quickness. He also knows how to get under the pads of interior blockers, which is a bit reminiscent of Roy Miller who came out of Texas this past year in my opinion. Something else that I noticed with Smith is that he does a pretty good job of holding up multiple blocks, which is why I think there are some teams that may be interested in him as a raw, 0 technique nose or at least a 1 technique, gap charging tackle. Overall, I think he's very raw but he's got upside as a 3-4 or 4-3 player.

Again, I don't know who the remaining three teams are but if one of them is Miami, those are my thoughts on the guy. :)

ToddsPhins likes this.
  2. Die_Nasty

Die_Nasty Well-Known Member

May 16, 2008
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Anyone have any thoughts on Eric Norwood? He looked pretty quick off the edge in the beginning and seemed to be around the ball a lot in the first half.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    DE Kevin Basped of Nevada is on tonight as well as Colin Capernick and Sean Weatherspoon. Also, Derrick Washington.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Couldn't watch the whole game, from what I've seen from Jeven Snead, he wasn't impressive.

5. Die_Nasty

Die_Nasty Well-Known Member

May 16, 2008
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Yeah, Snead looked awful throughout the game.

Norwood looked even more impressive in the second half. I think he is definitely one of the top 3-4 OLB prospects out there after watching the game.

6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Alen.... gees I'm slightly disappointed after watching Weatherspoon last night. He didn't seem like the same person I watched last year.....appeared to lose the speed and explosiveness that I thought he had. Maybe adding the extra 20 pounds slowed him down or threw off his game? Granted I only saw the 2nd half.
    Thoughts??

alen1 likes this.
  7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Agreed. Looks heavier this year and I don't think its the best for him but he's only at 245 so it's a bit worrisome. Looked inconsistent last night in my opinion. A bit slow changing directions and his lateral speed was up and down, sometimes looking like James Laurinaitis out there. He dropped well in zone though. A telling thing for me was in the first quarter when the Missouri defense came out and they had Weatherspoon covering the receiver on the wing. Don't typically see that so I felt that the DC is comfortable with him covering receivers and tight ends. One thing I didn't understand with him was the gaps he picked when he hit blitzed from the middle. I don't know if they were designed like that or not but at times, he ran right past the hole and latched onto a blocker, leaving me wondering what he was doing out there. I thought he was willing to take on blocks last night but struggled at times disengaging. Didn't seem to have a lot of trouble with trash at his feet which is a positive sign IMO. Last, I noticed he didn't always hustle when the play was away from him. There was a reverse ran by Nevada and I felt that if he hustled to the sideline, he would have stopped the tailback from getting a first down but he did a bit of light jogging and watching. All in all, I want to see more of him. He's got the talent, he's a incredibly good read and react player but last night he was up and down with everything else.

Did you catch Kevin Basped of Nevada? Played weak side, strong side and some DT IIRC.He looked OK. He's quick and does a good job of getting under the pads of the blocker but its like he plays without the light bulb on in his head. He doesn't read plays well at all. He's good at setting the edge against zone runs but when you run directly at him, he struggles. He does a bit of leaning and I thought it was a bit embarrassing watching Derrick Washington take him on in pass protection. Only reason I say embarrassing is because I watch Washington and I like him but he doesn't have the strength of a 225 pound back. Basped did some leaning though and a lot of hand fighting, not a lot of sinking his hips and driving through the blocker despite attempting the bulrush numerous times IIRC. On an end around, Basped ran right by the tailback who got the ball and that's one of the reasons I brought up the light bulb comment; he was suppose to be the contain man there and make the play but he didn't do anything other than fail to make the play. He's got an impressive build but he's not that good of a prospect unfortunately.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  8. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I agree with every single word you said. Imagine that same player at 4.5 speed with an awesome burst! I was looking forward to him being a major playmaking WILL for us. Now he's becoming a cross between a WILL and MIKE, and not in the "complete package" sense. :sad: I think he needs to get back to his old self and concentrate on his strenghts rather than trying to enhance his weaknesses which, in turn, is inhibiting his strengths.
    I was a little perplexed by the gaps/holes he was choosing, too. I figured that must have been planned b/c I couldn't see him losing his instincts like that. Maybe he (b/c of his known presence to an offense) was designed to eat up space on the strong side to force plays into the hands of the MLB??? Kind of like "taking one for the team". If that's the case, it seemed to work. LOL. I was a little bothered by the goal line play late in the game where he came in to help stuff the run (the one that resulted in a fumble) and he lowered his head so soon that he completely removed his field of sight from the play. I'm probably just nitpicking though. LOL.

:sidelol: Those are the type of guys that I avoid completely. Electrical problems arent good. LOL. If they're wired bad, they're wired bad.

However I liked Brandon Marshall #33. The imobilizing tackle he made on Gabbert was impressive!! No matter who's running the ball, when you get hit with perfect form like that, you're *** is goin down!! :yes: Those kind of tackles make your entire body ache.... and you remember where that guy is on the field for the rest of the game. LOL.

9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Alen, I'm watching the FSU-USF game. Did you see the hit by redshirt freshman safety, Jon Legiste? Holy crap!! You ever see the hit Chuck Bednarick laid on Frank Gifford? Lejiste reminded me of that. Gotta see if he can cover too. LOL

By the way, I'm starting to wonder how much being double teamed every game the past 3 years is wearing in Selvie.??? I'd think that would have to take a toll on a player.

alen1 likes this.
  10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Agreed.

It is a possibility that the holes were designed and the outside linebackers pick up the holes to turn everything in into the MIKE linebacker. Since Missouri runs a pure zone scheme I believe, it's very possible. I was surprised by it though because I'd watched him once before in the bowl game last year and he looked different. Then last night, he showed good instincts as well as ability to read plays but then hit those gaps and I was confused and surprised.

:lol:

Yeah, he was a guy that was in on every play. Every snap you heard his name whether he's in on it or he's making the play. Just everywhere.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I missed it, I'm not watching the game. You seen Greg Reid, the freshmen DB of FSU though? Playmaker. Simply a playmaker but he's very small. 5'9", 175 IIRC.

12. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Thanks, Alen... I'll keep an eye on him.
    Posted via Mobile Device

alen1 likes this.
  13. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    anyone watch cincinnati vs fresno state today? gilyard looks great. pike looks like he's worth a shot in the 2nd or 3rd. all star games will be huge for him. need to see him under center. the running backs for fresno miller and matthews look good

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Matthews is a good player IMO. He just needs to put it all together and stay healthy if I remember correctly; probably next year's Andre Brown. Size, power, quickness and good vision.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    AP, I like Gilyard a lot. He would definitely add the explosion we're lacking on offense IMO.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  16. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'd prefer Dez Bryant or Brandon LaFell, but I do like Gilyard.

adamprez2003 and ToddsPhins like this.
  17. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I agree completely.... I'd love to have LaFell or Bryant..... AND Gilyard to go with Ginn and Hartline. LOL. I'm sure Henne would, too. :lol:

adamprez2003 likes this.
  18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm not sure Gilyard is any different than Ginn for us when Henne is a starter. Both stretch the field. Only difference in my opinion is that Gilyard is quicker than Ginn. I'd rather us add a big bodied, physical wide receiver.

19. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm kind of curious about the Nose Tackle prospects in this draft.

I think given where we're likely to draft(10-20), I think that there is going to be a fair amount of discussion over Terrance Cody, but I'm not entirely sure if they are going to want someone his size with his conditioning issues.

I think Arthur Jones really stands out as someone that the Dolphins are going to be interested in. He reminds me a whole lot of Jason Ferguson, someone who is smaller than the prototypical NT, and is more of a well-rounded, technical player than a oversized fatbody.

20. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:yes:

21. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Give me Dez Bryant. Really the only WR I want.

22. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    definitely similar types although Gilyard seems to possess a bit more explosive qualities. Dez Bryant would be more of the big playmaker type but if you pair Gilyard with Ginn you would have some crazy speed at the position. Ginn or Gilyard on the number 2 corner would be a crazy mismatch more often than not

ToddsPhins likes this.
  23. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Alen, we're allowed to have more than one faster than 4.5 forty guy at WR, ya know. :tongue2:

Ginn is the straight line track type guy where as Gilyard can shake and bake as well as beat you deep. He reminds me of a "Chris Johnson" at WR. Very similar balance, body control, vision/field awareness, fluidity/loose hips, spin move, explosiveness. Mardy has awesome hand-eye coordination, soft hands, catches out in front of him, makes sideline grabs look effortless, and highpoints very well for his size. Plus he's class act.

Gilyard represents the firepower we're severely lacking IMO. Stick him in the slot and let the fun begin.... plus he instantly improves our return game.

I wouldn't mind a big, physical WR... but only if he is a game changer, too (like Dez). The last thing we need is another possession WR. One more of those and I'll puke. A playmaker trumps all at this moment. I like LaFell, but IMO that's like drafting another Patrick Turner'esque big possession WR. I like Arellious Benn too, but he seems like he would be a great possession WR, but not fill our need as a game-changing playmaker.

I doubt we spend a 1st on Dez, but I would love to see Mardy fall to us in the 2nd!! My "Offensive" Pipe dream is to draft Gresham in round 1... then Gilyard in 2... then have Julio Jones fall to us in 2011. LOL.

Gresham+Julio+Gilyard+Ginn= Holy Crap!! We could be a Saints type offense with that line up. Gresham+Julio+Gilyard+Ginn also= Henne MVP. :D
    Gresham+Julio+Gilyard+Ginn also= potentially better than anything Brady has. LOL.

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm just not sold on getting another smaller player that can run. That's not a shot at Ginn or Gilyard but I rather have a guy who can go up with defensive backs and catch the ball with their strong body control. I think we have a guy who can be a playmaker and that can provide the big play and that's Ted Ginn. Ginn can stretch the field but he doesn't have the talent at the quarterback position to allow him to do so and that's why I think many want a big play threat. The way I look at it is, who do we have right now that can go across the middle, take the hit and bring in the pass? I don't see anyone on this team at the moment who's a large body receiver who's got strong wrists and body control. I think Dez Bryant and/or Arrelious Benn are two guys that may be available to us if we pick where I think we could, nine through sixteen. Bryant could drop to that area because of his possible attitude issues. I wouldn't complain if we took him, regardless of him not being an astounding vertical receiver.

Yes, I would agree that he's a bit more explosive but the overall game of his, I don't find too different than what we have in Ginn. Maybe I'm wrong, just my viewpoint on the player. I still would rather take a large and physical body over another burner at the wide receiver spot. I think we need it more than another speed guy.

25. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    David Gettis? :shifty:

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Haha. He needs some production and route running IIRC. ;)

27. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You just said large and physical body, didn't mention production. :lol:

ToddsPhins likes this.
  28. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Alen, you mention needing a big, physical, productive body who can catch balls over the middle? I believe there is an offensive position that fits that discription. They're called Tight Ends. :tongue2: So what you're saying is we should draft Gresham. LOL

I'd be happy using Hartline as the fearless receiver who's not afraid to go across the middle. P Turner isn't a lost cause, so I'd think we'd give him a little time before cutting or trading him...b/c someone will have to go if we draft a WR. Turner hasn't had time to prove himself so that would waste a 3rd round pick, where as trading Bess(for example) would net us a higher pick as well as upgrading the slot IMO. Unless we don't mind cutting Turner outright or trading him for a 5th or 6th rounder, I doubt we go after another big 4.5 possession guy early in the draft.

29. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I just finished watching Houston-TTech..... Seen Houston a few times this year now and REALLY like Tailback, Bryce Beall #25. Right now, he's my ideal 3rd down/COP back to complement Ronnie in 2011.

30. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I wouldnt doubt we go interior OL early (2/3) with Smiley doing his Mark Dixon impression.

31. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Gresham doesn't catch them all across the middle. ;) On a serious note, I think we need a physical wideout. I think we should take a tight end as well.

Hartline is a slot receiver IMO. Turner's not a lost cause but I worry about him. He does have inconsistent hands and from what I've seen of him going across the middle, I'm not sold. Turner's a guy who should be running quick slants and out routes in my opinion.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  32. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    :confused2:

Smiley looked like a pro bowler against the Colts.

33. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I agree....but I think we wait till the 4th (barring major injury). We can still get a great guard in 4-5, but a great LB, S, Playmaking WR, and NT won't be as easy to find then IMO.
    Posted via Mobile Device

34. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Good points. IMO Dez is the only guy who fits the bill of the guy you're describing without having the potential of becoming yet another possession receiver..... and you've mentioned his character issues, so even he's not a lock.
    Our next WR absolutely can not display any risk of becoming a "possession" receiver....and guys like LaFell and Benn are borderline IMO. Seriously, we're overloaded with possession WRs....but only have 1 playmaker, and he's limited to straight line speed. We desparately need a fast, elusive guy like Manningham whom we can dump it off to and watch break it for 60 yards. I agree completely that we need the physical presence you speak of, but I'd rather take Gilyard and wait another year than possibly force the pick and end up with Poo in our hands- another possession receiver and still no playmaker. LOL

Without having that big play threat, it makes our execution level have to be much higher to achieve the same production bc we'd have to run more plays to score the same amount of points.....and running more plays allows for a greater margin of error....and greater margin of error means needing to execute at a higher level. Adding a guy like Gilyard allows us to run less plays to score the same amount of points, which lowers our margin for error. Add Spiller to it, and the margin of error reduces even more as our TDs per attempts increases further. :D

35. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think once we have a quarterback that can play a vertical game then we will see Ginn be used to his potential. I know he's a straight line player but I think he can be the play maker down the field that we need. I still find the need of a wide bodied wide receiver that is productive (*looks at Stitches*) and can make the tough catch over the middle. I wouldn't complain about a burner but I don't want him in the first three or four rounds when I think needs like nose tackle (1), outside linebacker (x2), inside linebacker (x2) and safety (1) are needs.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  36. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Both Gilyard and Bryant would add great weapons to our pass offense. Traditionally you definitely want your speed guy (Ginn) playmaking guy (Bryant) possession guy (Turner, Hartline, Camarillo) slot guy (Bess) but some of the most explosive passing attacks in history have had two small speed guys (Rams - Bruce and Holt/ Colts Harrison and Wayne/ Dolphins Clayton and Duper). Where it would definitely benefit us to have the tall playmaker type is in the red zone. Thats where the big playmaking guy like Bryant is worth a fortune.

37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's what I want; red zone and down the middle. :)

38. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The difference between Benn and LaFell over what we have is that they are big-bodied guys, tall, and can go up and get the ball. I'll take them over any other "possession" WR's that we have on our team any day of the week.

alen1 likes this.
  39. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I certainly won't disagree with that...but if it meant a 1st round pick would you rather not wait until there's a total package big bodied guy to use a 1st on?

40. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Well I think both are playmakers (not as dynamic as Bryant however), or the total package or whatever you want to call it, so I don't know if you want me answering this question.

I'd put Benn and LaFell in the same league (or thereabouts) as Nicks and Britt whom I really wanted last year.

ToddsPhins likes this.