1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking back (in horror) at the 2007 draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 29, 2009.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Satele, Mauia, Beck, Abe Wright, those were guys for a completely different brand of football then what Sparano plays, Reagan was always a reach but the others just did not fit into what the new Regime wanted to do in Miami.

Bpk likes this.
  3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i wanna know what plaers we passed on for these guys no longer on my team......then i will puke uncontrolably

Phinperor and opfinistic like this.
  4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    John Beck #40

Tony Ugoh
    LaMarr Woodley

Samson Satele...no one really

Lorenzo Booker...same

You'd be surprised Sick, 2007 looks like a serious dud of a draft:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NFL_Draft[/ame]

SICK likes this.
  5. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    That makes it feel a little better. Amazing how poorly we drafted that year. I think Beck would have stuck around had Cam remained (God forbid) in charge, and the Jury is still out on Ginn, but the rest of the class save Fields is pretty meh.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Don't overlook Soliai, he's been out twice in two years and we couldn't stop the run at all, it takes time to develop a NT and he has the physical tools to be great.

If we had kept Satele, we would have 3 or 4 starters out of that draft, which for us would be our best draft class pre Tuna and post JJ...:sad:

opfinistic likes this.
  7. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    True there is still hope for him to become something special.

8. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ

I hope so, maybe that's the resaon the phins didn't draft a NT....

opfinistic likes this.
  9. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I'm thinking the same thing, if they saw someone they wanted at NT who they thought could have been better than what they think SOlia can be, they would have taken him, maybe even earlier than expected.

It would be great if Solia takes a development step forward this year.

ATVZ400 and opfinistic like this.
  10. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Some of the more notable picks from 2007 draft:

1st round: P. Willis LB (SF), D. Revis CB (NYJ), M. Griffin S (Tenn), B. Quinn QB (Cle), J. Beason LB (Car), D. Bowe WR (KC), B. Meriweather S (NE), A. Gonzalez WR (Indy)

2nd round: L. Woodley LB (Pitt), T. Ugoh OT (Indy), D. Harris LB (NYJ), S. Smith WR (NYG), E. Wright CB (Cle), J. Wilson CB (Sea)

3rd round: T. Edwards QB (Buff)

4th round: M. Bush FB (Oak), A. Pittman RB (NO), L. McLain FB (Balt), C. Session LB (Indy)

5th round: S. Breaston WR (Ari), K. Smith RB (KC), B. Celek TE (Phi)

6th round: N. Folk K (Dal), M. Crosby K (GB)

7th round: A. Bradshaw RB (NYG), C. Ndukwe S (Cin)

UDFA's: P. Thomas RB (NO), M. Bullitt DB (Indy), S. Young RB (Den)

Now, who's to say we'd A) been able to get at least one in each round, 'cause as soon as you change one pick there's a ripple effect. And, B) who's to say we'd be any better off with any of these guys, especially when you factor different systems/schemes into the equation? I know, I know. Just sayin'...there was talent there.

IMO no matter how you slice it, it was an abysmal draft by The Dolphins in 2007.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Willis should have been our pick, but if one recalls 2006, our defense was one of the best in the NFL and Zach Thomas was coming off of one of his better seasons.

At the time, we were running the 4-3, we had Crowder and Taylor, and we had just signed Joey Porter.

He sucks.

Bush was coming off of a severe knee injury and was just traded by Oakland, McLain was not considered a very good prospect coming out.

We had just signed David Martin and had Chambers and just taken Ginn.

Jay Feely set a accuracy record in 07.

The 7th round is a complete crapshoot, one cannot simply cherry pick a player or two and then say "Hahh...see!!!"

How many other teams passed on them as well? We did try to shore up linebacker depth with Wright and Smith.

Not much talent, why would we use a #2 on Woodley when we needed a Qb to develop? Why would we draft M Bush with a bum knee?

Based on that? Look at the five picks following the ones we took outside of #9 not going to Willis or Okoye, we didn't miss by much.

What the 07 draft does show is signing veterans can stunt drafting younger players and giving them a shot to play, they can act as roadblocks and they should be carefully examined before you sign them rather then develop a player instead.

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Here is an example of who we didn't draft:

John Beck #40:

Rice, Jarret, Stanton are busts or at least not productive enough to mention.

Satele #60:

1. Gerald Alexander
    2. Dan Buizin
    3. Brandon Jackson
    4. Sabby Piscitelli
    5. Qunetin Moses

#71 Booker
    Marcus McCAuly
    Laurent Robinson
    Jacoby Jones
    Yamon Figures
    Jason Hill

#108 Soliai
    Steve Nicholas
    John Bowie
    Dwayne Wright
    Dan Sepelveida
    Brian Smith

#181 Mauia
    Adam Heyword
    Kasey Studdard
    John Wending
    Trey Lewis
    Thomas Clayton

Clearly, we didn't miss on very much in 07, there wasn't much there to begin with.

13. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    Thanks for your feedback/input Padre. You seem very defensive of the choices that were made by the Cameron regime. Look, all I did was make a quick scan of the 2007 draft and post some of the more notable players selected. Which is why I titled my post "some of the more notable picks from 2007 draft." Not "players we should've drafted in 2007." Although, and setting aside any need picks, I think you can make a pretty strong argument that there were other more talented players available to The Dolphins (and other teams as well). Which brings up an interesting thought...should you pick for need over BPA? Ah, but that's for another day.

It's just kind of a hindsight observation. It's easy to say should/coulda/woulda. No one is ever gonna nail all the picks in any draft. I understand that. But, I just think the 2007 draft, as a whole, the draft was not nearly as successful as it could've been. That's JMO.

Peace bro...

padre31 likes this.
  14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not particularly defensive TGM, more looking at the 07 draft as a whole as a sort of poor one, when T Edwards is the only guy from the third round who stuck out, that's a crappy draft class.

Q Moses was cut twice as the first pick in the 4th round...before the season started.

Heck, Andy Alleman is already on our roster and he was pick #88.

Mine to, I don't think Cam and Mueller did the terrible job that has been made out so far, they were about average, trading Satele makes that draft class below average for us.

15. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I'm glad that Cameron was fired but it would be interesting to see how these players would have turned out in the system they were drafted for.

16. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    Quinn and Edwards notables?

padre31 likes this.
  17. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Thankfully our ownership had the sense to get rid of the Cam/Muell braintrust after one season, obviously they weren't moving in the right direction. Poor drafting, horrific coaching, thankfully they only had one season to do their damage.

padre31 likes this.
  18. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Jury's out on Ginn but other than him when we only kept a backup DT and a Punter then yeah its a crappy draft

19. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Our defense with Pat Willis and LaMar Woodley. But we werent running a 3-4 then so with Woodly at least there wasnt much incentive to draft them. What a horrible season overall, just everything about it.

20. Finole

Finole Season Ticket Holder

Dec 5, 2007
    With hindsight it's pretty obvious that Patrick Willis should have been the pick. That said I'm still a big fan of Ted Ginn. Honestly, though, if Mueller and Cameron had taken Brady Quinn they would still be in Miami. The backlash from passing on a potential franchise QB was just too overwhelming. Especially after going 1-15.

If they had taken Quinn and won a handful of games I think most people would have felt that we were building something.

In the 2nd round we should have taken Josh Wilson instead of Beck. He's starting to come on for Seattle. And he was an excellent return man. So Mueller/Cam could have accomplished almost the same thing they set out to (a QB and a dangerous kick returner) but they might have had slightly better results.

Satele was a good pick in the 2nd round if you're not trying to execute a smash mouth running attack. Although personally I would drafted the OT from Notre Dame - Ryan Harris. He's currently Denver's starting right tackle.

In the 3rd round I liked James Jones, the WR from San Jose State. He's done pretty well in Green Bay.

Beyond that you're mostly going to draft depth and special teams players. Or a kicker, punter, or FB. Mason Crosby, Daniel Sepulveda, and Le'Ron McClain would have all been good picks. I only point them out to illustrate that the 2007 draft class did have some quality players.

The G Man likes this.
  21. Finole

Finole Season Ticket Holder

Dec 5, 2007
    I think Woodley would have fit in with the hybrid defense we were running in 2007. I don't think we considered a pass rusher a priority because we already had JT and just signed Joey Porter.

padre31 likes this.
  22. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    Since both are starting QB's (although I think Quinn will be competing with Anderson in TC) for their respective teams, I'd say yes...notable.

Truth be told though, I think we'll know a lot more about both of them before the end of the 2009 campaign.

And, I agree with Finole's comments on Cameron passing on Quinn. I think it was a combination of that choice, in conjunction with the 15 losses that cost Cameron the HC job in Miami. Not just the 15 losses.