Looks like Armando stuck his foot into his mouth this time.

203 replies

Ronnie BassRonnie BassLuxury Box
May 28, 2013, 10:40 AM

"Stringer Bell wrote:

The Herald already issued an apology. You aren't going to see anything more though. The immigrant population in South Florida is large, and there would be many offended if Armando would be fired over this.

There is always the possibility that if he gets fired it will have more to do than this incident, it would be the straw that broke the camels back and the only reason I say this is I suspect that Mando is just as bit of an ahole inside the offices of the Miami Herald as he is outside it.

LarryfinfanLarryfinfanSupporter
May 28, 2013, 10:40 AM

"NUGap wrote:

Two things

  1. A few people in here have been commenting on how he made these incendiary remarks about veterans on Memorial Day - he didn't. The link clearly shows the email in question was exchanged on May 8th. 19 days before Memorial Day. If we're going to bash Armando for his journalistic follies and errors (of which I acknowledge there are many), let's try to be correct ourselves. You're can't call someone stupid if you can't get the facts right yourself.

  2. I can empathize with Armando a bit. As some may or may not know, I've posted some of my works on draft statistics here and also kept a blog of them. The amount of views/ response was decent when posting, but nowhere near what a newspaper site or major site is going to be drawing. Regardless of that, I still received a fair share of emails/ comments that were surprisingly negative about me/ the work I did for free and on a Wordpress site. This was over a 3 month period with limited readership. I can't even imagine the volume or level of vitriol the beat writers receive on a daily basis. It has to wear on you. Day after day, year after year receiving totally unnecessary emails, comments, tweets, and even nasty remarks on these message boards. Is it his job to be better than that? Yeah, but let's not pretend that wouldn't wear on any of us. He snapped and it was wrong, but I can certainly understand why it happened. What industry other than maybe politics exposes you to that level of hostility on a daily basis?

1) Well, I also saw the date before I commented and had figured out that this Johnston purposely released this to correspond with Memorial Day...that doesn't make either side right in this and as a veteran I feel just as hurt and offended by BOTH their comments (because obviously Johnston was playing the system against itself and was ignorant in his remarks). While it was obviously calculated by Johnston for release that just doesn't make either side of this right. Mando should get more of the repercussions on this simply because of his position as a member of the media and as such has to control his public side bursts.
2) Yeah, there is enough embarrassment to go around here for Mando and I do somewhat empathize with his plight. One thing to be kept in mind when looking at this from that perspective, in Mando's case, he makes a living off of being somewhat contrite and argumentative in his public venue. As has been said before, he gets paid on the number of hits he gets on his opinions and comments that he publishes. This particular tirade was NOT for or intended for publication however, in his profession that is irrelevant.

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
May 28, 2013, 10:44 AM

"Ronnie Bass wrote:

There is always the possibility that if he gets fired it will have more to do than this incident, it would be the straw that broke the camels back and the only reason I say this is I suspect that Mando is just as bit of an ahole inside the offices of the Miami Herald as he is outside it.

Generally speaking, I think when someone is fired over something like this, its usually just a convenient excuse.

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

LILifelongcaneNew Member
May 28, 2013, 10:46 AM

This, more than anything, reflects Armando's true thoughts and beliefs. I've had many nasty e-mail exchanges with him ( all sports opinion related) and he has shown to be thin-skinned, pedantic and arrogant but never anything like this. I don't condone what Johnson wrote...but Armando exposed himself for what he really is...racist, anti-American ( bashing soldiers cannot be considered anything but) and just plain mean. Should he be fired? Who knows and who cares. What is important is that anything we read from the guy going forward should and will be be considered in a completely different light.

LarryfinfanLarryfinfanSupporter
May 28, 2013, 10:46 AM

"Stringer Bell wrote:

The Herald already issued an apology. You aren't going to see anything more though. The immigrant population in South Florida is large, and there would be many offended if Armando would be fired over this.

There are many more veterans than Hispanic descendants in SFL, naturally many of those Hispanics being veterans as well. What Johnston said was wrong. What Mando said was even more wrong because he is a public figure. The Herald has lost at least one veteran follower and I'm sure there are more...Oh, and I'm both a veteran and have Hispanic bloodlines...

NCNCFINFANNew Member
May 28, 2013, 10:48 AM

"Fin D wrote:

1) True.
2) Disagree. It comes with the job. Doctors have to deal with mistakes causing death. Lawyers have to deal with getting criminals off the hook. Air Traffic controllers have to deal with the stress of so many lives in their hands. Public figures have to deal with the annoying and hostile public. It is what it is. Lets not forget, its not like Armando shies away from the spotlight.

Agreed, even football players and their wives and families have to hear what a POS they are when they lose a game. Imagine Jay Fiedler who gave his heart and soul for the fins, only to be called every name in the book. But like you say, it comes with the territory. Give me a few million a year and I will put up with it. It still doesn't give you the right to forget where you are and lose your temper. I like Armando, he is one of my favorite S FL sports writers, and this billy guy surely had it coming, but Armando has to share in the blame. You can't say something like this even in a private email, in this day and time, and expect it not come back and bite you.

PLPlanBNew Member
May 28, 2013, 10:52 AM

"unluckyluciano wrote:

again. Mondo is wrong, but so was the other guy.

That's my point. Our professionals in the community are held to higher standards. Except the press. They claim 2nd amendment protection. Yet they have the power to really effect others lives. They need to be held accountable. They need to be unbiased. If he is clearly so anti veteran and against the people who protect it and the 2nd amendment then he does not deserve to have his position. If a Cop or a fireman, or a teacher made such comments they would be removed. If a NFL player said it they would get fined. He needs to be held accountable. Simple as that.

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
May 28, 2013, 10:53 AM

"PlanB wrote:

That's my point. Our professionals in the community are held to higher standards. Except the press. They claim 2nd amendment protection. Yet they have the power to really effect others lives. They need to be held accountable. They need to be unbiased. If he is clearly so anti veteran and against the people who protect it and the 2nd amendment then he does not deserve to have his position. If a Cop or a fireman, or a teacher made such comments they would be removed. If a NFL player said it they would get fined. He needs to be held accountable. Simple as that.

What professionals are held to higher standards exactly? I've heard plenty of professionals make insensitive comments, and they weren't fired. Jeff Ireland called a fan an ******* and he wasn't fired. Mike Wallace made insensitive remarks about homosexuals, and he wasn't fired.

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

LarryfinfanLarryfinfanSupporter
May 28, 2013, 11:15 AM

"Stringer Bell wrote:

What professionals are held to higher standards exactly? I've heard plenty of professionals make insensitive comments, and they weren't fired. Jeff Ireland called a fan an ******* and he wasn't fired. Mike Wallace made insensitive remarks about homosexuals, and he wasn't fired.

I spent 30 years working for UPS. If I had made comments like this that had come out as an interaction with a customer as these did, as a manager in the business, yes...I'd have been fired...even if it had occurred later in my career rather than earlier...

Look, Mando's credo is get more hits so controversy isn't exactly news, but disrespecting his country, his race (those Hispanics who have bravely fought for all of our freedoms) and ignorance isn't what he is paid for. Personally, even tho I strongly feel he's getting the brunt of the blame for this and doesn't deserve it, the Herald has to take more action than a printed apology. Make him deliver papers or something, but a slap on the wrist is an insult to every American (Hispanic, Black, white, Indian, Italian, etc) who has ever donned a uniform and fought for our freedom. Unfortunately this does bring out his more true feelings of being a racist and in the future, people will not forget that. That's why the Herald should fire him, because his work will always be tainted with racism.

Comments that others make (Ireland, Wallace, etc) have no bearing on this case. If Ireland had been canned for his comments and remarks that would have been fine with me, the same with Wallace although firing him might be a bit more difficult because of his contract. But those situations are completely different.

JMO, but I don't see they have choice, but I do have a choice...

Lee2000Lee2000Supporter
May 28, 2013, 11:21 AM

I think the damage here that is especially worrisome is the collateral damage. This Billy guy aside, Armando crossed the line. I think we can all relate to being baited. In the movie "12 Angry Men" Lee J. Cobb told E.G. Marshall that Henry Fonda was trying to bait him. Fonda had successfully gotten Cobb to say "I'll kill him". Cobb had previously pointed out how strong that comment was to the evidence of guilt for the teen accussed of murder. After this event, Marshall's response to Cobb was classic, "He did a remarkable job". I understand the baited situation on behalf of Armando. My concern is the nature of the comment as read by others. I read the comment this morning without looking at the context. My reaction to it was alarm. I agree with CK. It could be quiet offensive to veterans in general. But the Miami Herald must address this comment as wrong period. They can't analyze it and justify it in any manner regardless of the behavior of Billy. And Armando, like or not, does represent the Herald as he makes these comments. I am a second chance kind of guy, and this experience could be a humbling and educating process for Armando. Make him a touch better maybe. I hope so.

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
May 28, 2013, 11:23 AM

"Larryfinfan wrote:

I spent 30 years working for UPS. If I had made comments like this that had come out as an interaction with a customer as these did, as a manager in the business, yes...I'd have been fired...even if it had occurred later in my career rather than earlier...

Look, Mando's credo is get more hits so controversy isn't exactly news, but disrespecting his country, his race (those Hispanics who have bravely fought for all of our freedoms) and ignorance isn't what he is paid for. Personally, even tho I strongly feel he's getting the brunt of the blame for this and doesn't deserve it, the Herald has to take more action than a printed apology. Make him deliver papers or something, but a slap on the wrist is an insult to every American (Hispanic, Black, white, Indian, Italian, etc) who has ever donned a uniform and fought for our freedom. Unfortunately this does bring out his more true feelings of being a racist and in the future, people will not forget that. That's why the Herald should fire him, because his work will always be tainted with racism.

Comments that others make (Ireland, Wallace, etc) have no bearing on this case. If Ireland had been canned for his comments and remarks that would have been fine with me, the same with Wallace although firing him might be a bit more difficult because of his contract. But those situations are completely different.

JMO, but I don't see they have choice, but I do have a choice...

Right, and when enough people stop reading Armando, he'll fired and the next hack will be hired. As it stands now, Armando probably is getting a ratings boost from this, if I had to guess. I think people will read his work simply to leave disparaging comments now.

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

VanDolPhanVanDolPhanSupporter
May 28, 2013, 11:54 AM

Armando will not be fired. As far as his employer it probably got no more then mentioned in passing. Armando is paid to be an ass folks and you guys keep eating it up. In the Armando world this will be forgotten by next week. Like I said this rates very low compared to all the previous crap he's involved with.

Want to hurt him? Don't talk about him........don't read his articles.

Ronnie BassRonnie BassLuxury Box
May 28, 2013, 11:56 AM

"VanDolPhan wrote:

Armando will not be fired. As far as his employer it probably got no more then mentioned in passing. Armando is paid to be an ass folks and you guys keep eating it up. In the Armando world this will be forgotten by next week. Like I said this rates very low compared to all the previous crap he's involved with.

Want to hurt him? Don't talk about him........don't read his articles.

I'm pretty sure he is being paid to be a sports writer and not a shock jock.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 28, 2013, 12:05 PM

"Ronnie Bass wrote:

I'm pretty sure he is being paid to be a sports writer and not a shock jock.

No, he's paid to get viewers/readers.

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
May 28, 2013, 12:10 PM

"Ronnie Bass wrote:

I'm pretty sure he is being paid to be a sports writer and not a shock jock.

He's paid to add value to his employer. He adds value by bringing in readers. The question the Herald should ask is whether his comments will reduce page-views or not.

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

LILifelongcaneNew Member
May 28, 2013, 12:12 PM

"Fin D wrote:

No, he's paid to get viewers/readers.

Could not disagree with you more.....he is being paid to "maintain" his credibility as a sports writer/columnist/blogger and to "maintain" the credibility of the Miami Herald.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 28, 2013, 12:16 PM

"Lifelongcane wrote:

Could not disagree with you more.....he is being paid to "maintain" his credibility as a sports writer/columnist/blogger and to "maintain" the credibility of the Miami Herald.

That's not true. His one and only job is to get readers. The method he's chosen is sports and more specifically the Dolphins. There's no credibility issues at all. If the Herald was about reporting, they wouldn't have advertisers. The second there's advertisers, the organization is no longer about news credibility.

JUJustrightNew Member
May 28, 2013, 12:19 PM

"Sumlit wrote:

Johnston demeaned and offended immigrants and that was what set Armando off. Any immigrant who sees this exchange will no doubt recognize the Armando took it way too far with his second e-mail and should be reprimanded, however they will also recognize he was defending immigrants from this guy's ignorant garbage, and will give him some sympathy.

This is how 10 yr olds think.."but,but, mom! He did it first!"

LILifelongcaneNew Member
May 28, 2013, 12:20 PM

"Fin D wrote:

That's not true. His one and only job is to get readers. The method he's chosen is sports and more specifically the Dolphins. There's no credibility issues at all. If the Herald was about reporting, they wouldn't have advertisers. The second there's advertisers, the organization is no longer about news credibility.

I respectfully disagree with you. Newspapers are all about credibility.....if there was no credibility, there would be no advertisers.

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
May 28, 2013, 12:22 PM

"Lifelongcane wrote:

Could not disagree with you more.....he is being paid to "maintain" his credibility as a sports writer/columnist/blogger and to "maintain" the credibility of the Miami Herald.

The Miami Herald is owned by the McClatchy Company. The McClatchy Company is publicly traded. They have a fiduciary duty to shareholders well before they have a duty to maintain "credibility".

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

LILifelongcaneNew Member
May 28, 2013, 12:25 PM

"Stringer Bell wrote:

The Miami Herald is owned by the McClatchy Company. The McClatchy Company is publicly traded. They have a fiduciary duty to shareholders well before they have a duty to maintain "credibility".

Wow, did you really say that???? Just WOW!!!!!

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
May 28, 2013, 12:28 PM

"Lifelongcane wrote:

Wow, did you really say that???? Just WOW!!!!!

I'm not sure I understand your point? What are you suggesting here?

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 28, 2013, 12:28 PM

"Lifelongcane wrote:

I respectfully disagree with you. Newspapers are all about credibility.....if there was no credibility, there would be no advertisers.

That's simply not true. What you're talking about is how it SHOULD work, but it doesn't.

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
May 28, 2013, 12:30 PM

"Lifelongcane wrote:

I respectfully disagree with you. Newspapers are all about credibility.....if there was no credibility, there would be no advertisers.

Are you saying the Miami Herald has credibility? I don't think they have for years now.

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

LILifelongcaneNew Member
May 28, 2013, 12:40 PM

"Stringer Bell wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your point? What are you suggesting here?

Look, I have read many of your posts and you are obviously a very intelligent guy but the quote that I responded to is just plain wrong, misguided and unethical. By your logic a pharmaceutical company has a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders before the safety of their drugs...any manufacturer has the responsibility to their shareholders before the safety or quality of their products???? NO! A newspaper is in business to accurately disseminate the news. If they carry out this mission, their credibility is enhanced ( see New York Times, Boston Globe, etc). When their credibility is enhanced people look to them for information and therefore will read their paper or webpage which equals higher ad revenues. Without that credibility, people look elsewhere (CNN, USA Today, Palm Beach Post) for their news. No newspaper or shareholder thereof wants to be associated with a racist or anti-American tirade....That is bad business.