1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowdown on the sun

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by unluckyluciano, Sep 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Hope thats not to much quoting mods. Let me know if it is and I'll fix it. :knucks:

link

Phinperor, Idahophin, cnc66 and 4 others like this.
  2. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    God is helping us offset man made global warning. I just hope he doesn't overdo it. ;)

Phinperor, Idahophin, cnc66 and 3 others like this.
  3. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    Fantastic Four!

4. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I'll be Mr. Fantastic if Alba can be Sue Storm!

5. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    she likes boys, silly.

That's pretty neat about the sun....now if people would take advantage of it and lesson their carbon footprint we'd be in outstanding shape!

Celtkin likes this.
  6. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    Pretty much whats been driving our climate since recorded record. The LONG KNOWN connection between solar winds, cosmic radiation, and cloud formation, beautifully correlates with Earth's temperatures going back 500 million years. And according to this article, the last 10 years too, as the Earth has been steadily COOLING since 1998. Maybe the IPCC will finally include this information in the 5th rendition of their report.

7. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    the catch to that is that if the sun is cooling, the only thing saving us from an ice age IS man's carbon footprint. An global warming is MUCH better for mankind, especially Canadian and American mankind. 10000 years ago New York city had more than a mile of ice on it.... and that means all them Kaybeckers will be in Florida year round...

8. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Glaciers continue to melt, ice sheets retreat, and sea temperatures continue to rise. How is that happening, my brother? Is there a hypothesis that explains this apparent contradiction?

unluckyluciano likes this.
  9. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Dr. Rood teaches climate change at Meeeeshigan and blogs at Dr. Masters Weather Underground. You will recall Jeff Masters if you read any of my hurricane threads. He covers a lot of things besides the Tropics and Dr. Rood is a fixture.. Dr. Masters is Meeeeshigan alum= the connection. There is a treasure trove of climate change info here, delivered in a fashion that is understandable without having the same Degree as the author.

Here's a good source of Climate Change info.

Dr. Rood has series on the sun.. 5 parts but linking #1 doesn't give you #2.. but #5 does.. and it has more linkage for the serious. part 5 The SunThe first paragraph;

This is to a collection of Dr. Rood's primer series on climate from his blogs at Wunder Weather. There is a lot of info here some of it over my head, but I slide in and read time to time. collection

Anyway, I read all that stuff as the chance arises and find it fascinating, maybe you will too.

Celtkin likes this.
  10. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Climate Changes happen all the time, just look at the different time periods when Dinosaurs walked the earth, now I will admit Man made global warming is speeding things up or perhaps making it unnatural.

Celtkin likes this.
  11. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    That is, without question, happening bro. I would never refute that. In the northern hemisphere anyway, as Antarctica is packing on record amounts of ice. I will just never buy the CO2 argument. CO2 has never driven climate in the past. In fact, the ice core and geologic record shows that the Earth heats up first, then CO2 levels rise. Sometimes with a lag time of up to 800 years. I'm sure this is most likely due to Henry's Law as it pertains to the oceans losing their gas (CO2) solubility as they slowly warm. But you have to remember also, the ocean stores an amazing amount of heat, which very, very slowly moves around. It has what oceanographers call a "memory". When an area in the North Sea suddenly warms, it could be from an event that happened thousands of years ago. Wild stuff.

Celtkin likes this.