1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Luck says the "Suck for Luck" campaigns is stupid

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jpep13, Oct 15, 2011.

1. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't care what he thinks about it, as long as he's wearing our uniform I'll be happy.

gamblerx likes this.
  3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This.

Besides, what was he expected to say? "Yes, I'm your savior, so root for your team to be bad so I can carry them to the Super Bowl, NFL fans!" Give me a break. No player wants to lose. Not surprised Luck isn't comfortable with the prospect of intentionally losing games.

gamblerx and Anonymous like this.
  4. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    No professional wants his team to lose a game. In our case, however, it's looking as though no breach of ethics will be necessary.

5. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    ANDREW LUCK CALLS Suck for Luck campaigns "STUPID"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/15/stanford-qb-calls-suck-for-luck-campaigns-stupid/

I'd like to reiterate a thought I posted a few days ago about this very topic that was rejected or dismissed by many posters (not because I want to pat my own back but b/c I care about the future of this team):

Now, I want this team to win more than anything, but if we don't and are in position to draft Luck, I'd rather have Luck than the next best prospect on the board. However, if we miss out on Luck b/c of this ridiculous Suck for Luck nonsense, I'll still laugh my butt off at the irony of it---- the irony that the Suck for Luck people are the ones who cost us from getting him. Is there anyone else who wants to comment about how Luck supposedly "doesn't see this Suck for Luck" crap?

6. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    You're going to have fans that want to "Suck for Luck" anywhere where there is a legitimate shot that their team can get the number one pick... whether he enters the draft this year or next year.

7. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    Kinda late there...

8. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    This isn't a big deal. This is what we all expected him to say. If we get the number one overall pick, he'll be a Dolphin. That's all that matters.

electrolyte and Pandarilla like this.
  9. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    What exactly did you expect him to say? "Yes, NFL fans, I am your team's savior. Root for me so I can carry your franchise to the Super Bowl!"? No player—no player—is comfortable with losing games, let alone intentionally losing games. Of course Luck wouldn't be on board with this.

Also, your insinuation that Luck would refuse to go to the team that sucked for him is absurd.

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its stupid not to be on the Suck for Luck bandwagon, quite frankly.

Winning a hand full of games means less than getting a QB that could be out starter for the 10+ years.

maynard and PSG like this.
  11. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Speaking of Luck, he's struggling against Washington State.

12. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

John Elway. Eli Manning.

It's happened before, who knows what'll come of this.

The_Dark_Knight and ToddsPhins like this.
  13. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    Nah, let's go win 5 games. I'm happy with Henne being the starter for the next 2 years...

14. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Out of the thousands of QBs drafted, traded, or otherwise acquired since the formation of the NFL… everyone can only cite two examples.

The odds are astronomically against Luck refusing to play for the team that drafts him.

Clipse likes this.
  15. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    How is he going to know who "Sucked for Luck"? Is he going to demand a trade no matter who has the number one overall pick?

16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    He could've said nothing at all like many players do. But he didn't. He chose to say something about it b/c this type of mentality is the complete OPPOSITE of Andrew's..... and if you know Luck's mentality AT ALL, you'd know that he's speaking forthright.

As absurd as Eli Manning refusing to play for the Chargers?

Give me a break, Desides. You, yourself, can't predict human behavior and what a person will or will not do if he feels something has gotten out of hand or greatly contradicts his beliefs. If Luck feels Miami's fan base is the biggest supporter of Suck for Luck and it rubs him the wrong way, he absolutely CAN decide this isn't the place for him since he's after all the most desired prospect in the country, so Luck holds ALL the cards, not the team with the #1 pick. To argue against this possibility is to say you have no understanding of a guy like Luck's mentality. You thinking it's not possible is what's absurd.

MrClean likes this.
  17. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    He should say that...no athlete would say "Oh I think it's funny." There might be backlash against him if he said that. Plus...I don't know about any of you, but if someone heaps praise on me before I do anything, it makes me feel awkward even though I'm flattered. I can only imagine what it must feel like for someone to get all kinds of praise before going into the biggest sports league in our country...without actually playing yet.

If I were playing on the team, I would want to win even if my team was 0-10, I wouldn't care about the draft pick. Being fans though, we have no control, so it's different.

This is a really good article on it: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/s...uck-later-not-wins-now.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1

18. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    Hope the Rams don't get him and get traded him to the Cowboys...

19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Rooting for your team to win has little bearing on what this team will or will not do, but it could impact who wants to play here as well as the perception this organization gives off. This suck for luck crap is classless, and anyone with class (IE:non money motivated) would most likely not want to play here or be a part of this negative mentality. No offense.

MrClean and Killerphins like this.
  20. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    Just wait when he comes to Miami, a lot of fans will cheer and welcome him like a long lost brother.

Eli Manning's dad is the one that told Eli to refuse to play for the play the Chargers. I don't know how Oliver Luck deal with this hype...

21. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Been a Dolphin fan for 40 years. I have NEVER rooted for Miami to lose a game...EVER!!!

Hard for me to take any of these "so-called" fans seriously that are rooting for Miami to lose. Fans on the "Suck For Luck" bandwagon are synonymous with douche-bag imo. They make Jet fans looks classy.

22. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Smart thing for him to say.

23. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    :huh: Really? So there have been thousands of #1 draft pick QBs?

How about doing your math correctly. There's been 2 #1 draft pick QBs since 1983 who have demanded to play for another team. So yeah, you're totally right. There's nothing to worry about. We should just carry on with this embarrassing garbage. Chances of it happening a 3rd time are probably non existent, especially since #1 draft pick contracts have been reduced by like $50 million and Luck has another year of eligibility left. :001_rolleyes:

MrClean likes this.
  24. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    What fans want on any particular week isn't going to have a bearing on whether a top prospect will buck the NFL draft system so as not to play here.

25. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I'm kind of "Suck for Luck", but I'm not rooting for the Dolphins to lose. Does that make sense? I just don't feel bad or care when they do lose, because I think the future will be much better, Phins can only go up from here. But I don't cheer against them. Plus, if the Rams get the #1 pick I think Phins could trade for it. Also, there are some really good QBs in this draft. Of course I want Luck, but the others like Jones, Griffin, Barkley seem like great prospects as well.

Though what we think or want doesn't matter anyway since none of us make decisions, I guess it's fun to debate the possibilities.

26. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    He didn't "choose to say something". He was specifically asked about it and gave an answer. It's not like he called an impromptu press conference the second he learned about SFL.

Stop twisting facts.

Phins28 and Anonymous like this.
  27. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    So Luck wouldn't be the first NFL QB's son to have his dad tell him to not play for another team. IMO that's not a point in the suckers for Luck corner.

28. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    It makes perfect sense. I created the Suck For Luck Bandwagon signature and I feel the same way. I still cheer for the Dolphins to win every week. The only difference this year is the losses don't hurt much. I'm not still thinking about Sunday's loss and its ramifications when I'm trying to fall asleep Monday night.

29. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    This is hilarious. Miami can't get good players now because of their fans. I've seen it all.

pumpdogs and Anonymous like this.
  30. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    There's a massive difference between wanting Luck if/when it comes to it verses purposefully rooting for us to lose to get him.

31. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    PFT also embellished what he said. Luck did not say anything regarding not wanting to play for Suck for Luck fans.

If you read the source article, the only quote from Luck is that he thinks it's stupid. There is nothing else. No further elaboration.

Even if he won't admit it, it has to feel at least little good that fans want YOU to play for them so badly that they are willing to lose games. Long story short, if we are fortunate enough to get the #1 pick I fully expect Luck to put on a Dolphins hat, shake Goodell's hand and hop on Ross's private jet for his PC

RGF, Clipse, Phins28 and 5 others like this.
  32. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    Hey, at least, we're not like the Colts fans that seen Peyton Manning play, 2 Super Bowl appearances, and playoffs runs in the past decade, now wants Luck and knows that their team is going to be competitive next year. They're more pathetic than the Dolphins fans are.

33. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Well if we have the first pick in the draft we will either get Luck or we will get maybe the biggest trade package ever for the 1st overall pick and one of the remaining Qbs in the draft, its still going to greatly improve the team to get the 1st pick regardless of how the Andrew Luck situation plays out.

34. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    He's obviously delusional. He can't even differentiate between rooting against your own team and strategic losing. Tell his "people" that fans are more dynamic than he knows. He's got a veto in his pocket, but I doubt anyone would turn down coming to Miami.

Luckily, we've got an organization that fails despite its best efforts not to screw things up.

35. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Well. I highly doubt Chad is the starter next year whether they get Luck or not. Andrew Luck is clearly the prize in this year's draft and is likely the best pure quarterback prospect to enter the draft since Peyton Manning. However, let's not act like there won't be other good quarterbacks in this draft. No, they aren't Luck, but there is a good chance that Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, Brandon Weeden, Robert Griffin III, and possibly Ryan Tannehill will be quality quarterbacks in the NFL. The latter two of which will likely need to be in more of a wide open system that allows them to use their feet as well as their arm. Man! Griffin and Tannehill put on a show today - 875 yards passing between them and 9 TD passes. Tannehill had 6 of those TD passes. This year's quarterback crop is much better than last year's, IMO.

MrClean and Eop05 like this.
  36. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    For emphasis, folks simply do not understand is Luck has options, very much like Eli Manning did in 2004, if he does not want to play for a team, he does not have to play for them, he does not even have to declare for the draft, and yet SFLers blithely repeat the same crap time after time/

This is the unknown variable, and yet SFLers simply ignore it.

Personally, for me, I like his principled stance, and love it when people on BSPN cannot grasp Luck turning down the millions that would come to him if he had declared in 2010.

MrClean and ToddsPhins like this.
  37. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    If Luck refuses to play for a team with SFL fans, then he's gonna have to refuse to play for probably the top 6 teams in the draft.

38. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Exactly. This thread is pointless.

39. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

He sure as hell better. I can't stand rookies coming in and refusing to play for the team that drafted them.

I'm looking at you Eli Manning.

40. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    No, he simply can force a trade, as Eli Manning did in 2004.

SD was incredibly fortunate to have a Phil Rivers in that draft class as well.