1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Luck says the "Suck for Luck" campaigns is stupid

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jpep13, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Alright. Let's try this again.

I've moved this forum to the NFL Draft forum as it pertains to a prospect and there is already an existing Andrew Luck thread in the mains. As this pertains to other teams, not just Miami, it makes more sense here.

Please keep this on topic. Keep this discussion civil and about Andrew Luck's comments. Further insults and off topic nonsense will not be tolerated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    It's a dumb movement for sure.
    Luck gets a peek at a classless fanbase and says no ****ing thanks.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  3. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    The Players play the game and the fans are the ones that want to lose. I'm sure the players are not
    tanking it listening to the fans to suck for luck.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    You mean people in college read internets?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  5. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Luck said what he had to say. As a player at any level, losing is unacceptable, so the thought of rooting for a team to lose is gonna rub people the wrong way. Rightly so.

However, I bet if someone were to explain to Luck that SFL is more of a general frustration with the Dolphins organization, privately he would probably say he understands. He may not advocate it, but he'd get the reasoning.

Regarding people saying he wouldn't want to play here because of Suck for Luck, just about every team in contention for him has fans that want their team to tank. Is he gonna refuse to play for all of those teams? Gotta be realistic there. He'll go to whomever drafts him.

6. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I don't want the team to fail, they have failed on their own. And now that the season is over, I want them to fail to the tune of of the 1st overall pick, and not fail to the tune of the 5th pick. They suck, season over, period.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Much ado about nothing.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    there is a bottom line on this topic, one reason is that fans are continuing to want to be heard and seen, by proclaiming this ridiculous phrase, while the player their talking about, has called them stupid.....wait...lol...Thats funny, and that's only for people who are drawing attention to the phrase, and causing us more embarrassment, and feeding the beast that is our debilitating reputation around the league..

The other reason why this isn't good is because the player might actually care not to associate himself with such a debilitating reputation., if there is even a chance of that happeneing, maybe some people should watch their mouth, and think twice before they call a radio station, wear a tshirt, or post a sig with their shortsighted view.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Or we can just to keep to ourselves and watch our clueless owner keep these bozos around and then we can draft cornfed linemen in the 1st 3 rounds of the draft. Hmm, no thanks.

10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Yeah, you're right, fvck it, just forfeit the rest of the games and everyone go fishing.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  11. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I'm sure I'd get more entertainment from fishing than watching this team embarrass itself on TV every week.

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    ok, but announcing it to the world like some people are doing, is only hurting the stock of the franchise, and feeding a bad perception that already exists, What I do think is happening is people not understanding that the words, opinions, and behaviors of a fanbase creates your identity, if your angle is to create an unhealthy atmosphere so these circumstances come true, then you will probably get your wish for the team to lose all its games, but, there also might be some consequences to accept because of how you aided in achieving it..

ToddsPhins likes this.
  13. MrClean

Nothing holding you back, unless you just hate fishing.

14. PigMuffin

PigMuffin New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Honestly, I think that notion is a bit overstated. Lions and saints fans have been wearing paperbags over their heads for decades. Their teams are finally winning and their fans aren't thought of any less. It also didn't stop them from being able to acquire stafford and brees. We start winning and all of this is forgotten. Winning cures everything.

FinSane likes this.
  15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Exactly Deej. We all know the chances are quite slim of Luck turning down the NFL draft b/c of an overall negative perception he gets from a team including its fan base, but that doesn't mean it CAN'T happen, so why the hell would anyone want to risk it? Anyone who thinks they can predict exactly what Luck will do after his Bowl game is being arrogantly absurd.

Here's an example why:
    You get pulled over tomorrow for speeding (12 mph over) and the state trooper lets you go with a warning despite not having your license and leaving your new registration & insurance at home.

Then you take that exact same scenario & same trooper, but the only difference being the trooper had just listened to his wife on the phone complain about not taking out the garbage, and this time you end up with 3 freakin tickets and a few hundred bucks in fines.

People are unpredictable. If Luck goes undefeated and wins his Bowl game, there's probably no chance at all he returns to Stanford. But what if Luck plays for the National Championship and loses by 1 point in the final seconds? What will his mindset be like then with only a week left until he has to declare for the NFL draft? If he's torn up inside about losing a championship and then he thinks about the team drafting #1, a team that's had 12 weeks of continued a "Suck for Luck" campaign despite him calling it "STUPID", a team that's been a graveyard for QBs with no ability to develop them, a team that might not have a Head Coach or QB Coach by the time he has to declare, then Luck could absolutely say "You know, one more year of Stanford & one more shot at a championship wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for me."
    And seeing a Suck for Luck article featuring the Dolphins could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

You and I both know that Luck genuinely feels this is SfL stuff is ridiculous. There's no way a guy like him is flattered or impressed by it. Not in the slightest. People who think otherwise have no clue about reading people or understanding human behavior. He's not giving a "politically correct" answer. He doesn't have to respond to it at all. If Luck says it's stupid, then he legitimately feels it's stupid. The suckers for Luck don't want to hear what he has to say and would rather make excuses for his statement b/c that's a lot easier than accepting their disgraceful behavior is in fact "stupid".

16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    If that's what you believe, you don't know the first thing about Luck. That's how YOU might respond to this nonsense, but that does NOT mean that's how every one else would respond, especially a guy like Luck. He cares more about winning and competing than he does about his ego, so there's absolutely no way he'll be flattered about a team wanting to lose in order to get him. All he sees is the word "Suck" and the losing mentality behind it. THAT'S IT! And that's the complete opposite of what he's about.

17. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Who says you have to keep to yourself? Aren't there more constructive ways to voice your displeasure for this regime's lack of success in ways other than purposefully losing for QB? And I can promise you, as badly as you or I want to win, we didn't pay $550 million for a lifetime of season tickets. Ross has a bigger investment in our hopes for success than probably the entire Miami fan base combined.

What's so hard about supporting the guys who are currently wearing aqua and orange while voicing our displeasure about losing in other ways? Because if for some reason we do end up with Luck, many of the guys you'd be rooting against this year will be on the team in 2012. Do you really want to root for guys like Wake & Vontae to fail?

If we're going to lose, we're going to lose no matter what, and if we DO finish last, there's no way this regime is passing on an elite QB prospect regardless of SfL, so if that's the case, why can't we at least give off the appearance of a classy organization while we lose, an organization that 2012 Free Agents might not be completely ashamed to play for? Did you not think about that? Yeah, Luck might not have much say so once he declares, but what about the Free Agents? Do you think they'd prefer a Suck for Luck fan base or one that roots for its players & team to win even when things get ugly? Doesn't Miami already look bad enough without adding a SfL campaign 4 weeks into the season? Not only does the organization look like crap, but now the fan base looks like crap, too.

And so what if a few other teams are Sucking for Luck, too (although Miami seems to be the worst from what I can tell). Why does that have to be an excuse for us to do it? Why can't we be different than them and try to help set our organization apart from these other teams? What does Barry Sanders say about scoring a TD? Act like you've been there before. Why can't we act like classy fans of a team that owns the only undefeated season rather than seem like fans of a team that's never seen a playoff game?

18. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    You said it yourself----- "DECADES"..... and "finally winning". If you establish a losing mentality, it does NOT always go away over night, and a fan base is a part of that mentality. The Saints also rallied around their fans and Hurricane Katrina during their SB season in case you forgot....... and the Lions are drawing a bit off of Detroit's hardship. They don't just want to win for themselves, they want to win for the city of Detroit. But no team could give a **** about winning for a fan base that puts paper bags over its head or want their team to lose on purpose. If SfL gets out of hand, current Dolphin players who are here next season will still remember that their fans didn't support them while they were down and instead wanted them to lose. The excuses that Suckers for Luck are coming up with to rationalize this ridiculous behavior are absurd. Period. You can try and dress it up all you like, throw some pumps and lipstick on it, but it'll still be absurd.

19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    How about----- he's saying EXACTLY WHAT HE FEELS.

Stop trying to interpret into his words just b/c you don't like what he's saying. He thinks the Suck for Luck people are stupid. Accept it. :wink2:

steveincolorado likes this.
  20. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    The guys wearing aqua and orange are 0-4. Many of them have already given up. The coaches wearing aqua and orange are totally incompetent. The FO guys wearing aqua and orange are bumbling idiots. Support that if you want, I won't. Not on a message board, and certainly not by attending games and buying merchandise, putting money in the pockets of people who made all this losing possible. Free Agents don't give a **** either. They care about the money, and I'm sure a couple wouldn't play for a lame duck coach and GM, but they won't be here next year, so that's irrelevant. Suck for Luck, draft Luck, make the playoffs every year, have a competent coaching staff and front office. That will make Free Agents line up at the door. That will make fans happy. Not anything else.

21. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not interested in a player if he thinks Suck For Luck is ok, quite frankly.

But fans are not players. Coaches are not players. Personnel people are not players, nor are they coaches. I don't see wha the point is, bringing up Andrew Luck's comments on the Suck For Luck idea, unless the point is to make him all the more attractive as an acquisition target.

ssmiami likes this.
  22. MrClean

Which players do you know for sure are not giving their best effort?

23. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    He didn't say the SFL people are stupid, you did.

24. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    His point was the SFL campaign may deprive us of Andrew Luck, which is something he desperately wants to happen for some reason.

ckparrothead likes this.
  25. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That's fine, depending on the offense then we'll acquire four first round picks and pick our QB. Don't have to pick Luck to use Luck. Barkley+2 1sts or Jones+ two 1sts is fine with me. I also think Tannehill is going to be a heck of a quarterback. If Luck says he might want to go elsewhere that's fine, trade down, trade down again, you'll end up with what four to five extra picks?

26. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Spoken like a person with no understanding of people with morals or principles, which Luck clearly has. Your comments grow more and more ridiculous by the post. I told you weeks ago that Luck wouldn't be flattered by this SfL crap. If you're trying to woo a player, you don't do it by annoying him or embarrassing yourself.

You know how I'd be acting if I didn't want Luck to come here?? I'd be acting JUST. LIKE. YOU. :wink2:

It's hilarious how delusional you seem. So tell me again how me asking people to temper the SfL crap and show some maturity could do ANYTHING to dissuade Luck from Miami or give him a negative vibe about our fan base. ?????

Remind me, did Luck call the Suck for Luck campaign "stupid" OR did he call mature fans who support their team, "stupid"? It was the Suck for Luck, you say? Yeah, that's what I thought.

LOL at the fan whom Luck calls stupid saying that I'm the one trying to deprive Miami of Luck. :sidelol: Look up the word ignorance b/c that's what you're displaying.

djphinfan and MrClean like this.
  27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    bottom line, I don't feel like whats going on here will affect him not coming here, because of some of the reasons you are describing, but there is no purpose in promoting something that he obviously feels is stupid..bottom line, keep the promoting to yourself, just in case it does bother him, unless you don't mind looking stupid, and show some fu^%in class.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  28. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't mind it because the fans SFL campaign won't keep Luck from coming to Miami, or any team for that matter.

What will keep him from coming here is a bad coaching staff and Front Office. If we have a competent Front Office with a good coaching staff, he will come here. The direction of the organization is what will matter to him and his father. Fortuntely for us, Sparano and Ireland are likely to be fired this off season. Their replacemants are the key.

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I mind it, because it hurts the image of the fanbase, and if there is even a little chance that it might sway his decision one way, I'am not gonna promote something that may be ok in theory for a fan to be ok with losses, but is stupid to promote.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  30. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    If that's how you want to rationalize & justify your immature, embarrassing behavior, then that's pretty damn sorry IMO. Here's anonymous: "It's ok for me to act like a fool b/c my lone actions don't matter." Yeah, well when you multiple this attitude by tens of thousands, then it most certainly DOES matter. It's a direct reflection of this organization. If fans didn't matter then Dansby wouldn't be irate about this Suck for Luck bull****.

I love your arrogance here..... as if you hold a crystal ball to Luck's future thoughts.

What if Luck's sitting on the fence regarding Miami before considering our fan base and 12 ****ING WEEKS of Suck for Luck campaign, especially AFTER he's publicly called it stupid? Your attitude is ridiculous. If Luck's on the fence, he most certainly COULD be like, "I'm not sure about Miami to begin with, and now that their fan base has openly shown itself to be obnoxious, pathetic, and unsupportive, I definitely don't want to play there." And you know why he could do that? He could do that b/c he holds all the ****ing cards and has more power & leverage than anyone else in draft history, and I told you that weeks ago. But you know what WON'T shy him away from Miami if he's sitting on the fence? A mature fanbase that seems to support its team regardless of win-loss record and Andrew Luck, that's what.

Since 1983, 13% of #1 pick QBs have vetoed the team picking them. That's not taking into account QBs who may have returned for their senior season b/c they didn't want to play for the team picking 1st. For a guy who seems to have such a hard-on for Luck, it's funny that you're doing the ONE thing that would deter him from coming here if he actually does care about the fan base. Your ignorance reminds me of a coke addict's initial thought during his first time doing a line. "Hey, one time won't hurt me". :lol: Sure, the odds are against you becoming addicted, but that doesn't mean you wont. And the last time I checked there's no "coke high" associated with Sucking for Luck, so why the **** would you even want to risk it?!

31. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    exactly. There's an easy way to eliminate it from the realm of possibility====> Just don't do it. It's that freaking simple.

I'd laugh my *** off if Luck felt Miami's fan base was the straw that broke the camel's back regarding not wanting to play here......... and then I'd hold it against those fans the rest of their life. I'd never let it die. I'd be so ruthless that it'd be easier for some fans to start rooting for another team.

32. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's disturbing to think that some people act as though Andrew Luck would base any "decision" to go to a team that drafts him due to his reading of ThePhins.com. Just silly.

Dolphins fans don't even have to promote the "Suck for Luck" ideal; the 45 Dolphins that take the field every week are bad enough on their own.

33. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    No, it's disturbing to see fans trying to justify their shameful actions b/c they ignorantly believe their shameful actions are guaranteed to not have an impact on anything.

"ThePhins"? I didn't realize thephins was a secret forum or that thephins was the only place containing Dolphin fans sucking for Luck. It's basically becoming an epidemic, so stop acting like it's just a few people on this site who are doing it or that it's going unnoticed.

The 45 Dolphins do NOT Suck for Luck. They might be losing, but they don't represent our fanbase. WE represent our fanbase, and we're doing a pretty damn ****ty job of it, ****ty enough to where it's embarrassingly receiving national recognition, is called "stupid" by Luck, and was ridiculed by Carlos Dansby..... and we're only 5 games into the season!!!!!!! How ridiculous will it look after another 10 weeks of it?!! Honestly, how many more players have to show their disgust in it before fans show some ****ing maturity and act like a fan base that players would be proud to play for?!!

Does Miami losing make it excusable for the fan base to act like ****ing losers, too?!!

34. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If the players want that to stop, they shouldn't talk. They should win a game. They're losing games is the root cause of this supposed "immaturity". Fans shouldn't have to support a losing team just because they like that team. I've got the right to express my displeasure with the team's putrid performance; especially when myself and many others on here were not fans of the moves (players, coaches) made over the past year and throughout the tenure of Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano. I'd think most fans, and even players, such as Karlos Dansby, recognize that.

It's quite obvious that the 2011 season is a waste; why not get a little excited about the possibility of grabbing one of the best prospects to come around in the past 25 years? I don't root for the Dolphins to lose every Sunday; quite frankly I'm numb to the result of the game. What does winning a few games this year accomplish in the grand scheme (i.e. long-term) of things? Not much. Getting Andrew Luck next year, in all probability, accomplishes a lot more.

And quite frankly, Miami Dolphins fans not showing up, "Sucking for Luck", not being excited about the team, etc. is probably the easiest and most effective way to show that they want change. And I don't think you can dispute at all that change certainly needs to take place. And, having lived in Cincinnati, I certainly understand where that comes from being surrounded by Bengals fans.

35. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I agree with you, Ronin. Although I have to admit, I don't root for the team to lose. When they do though, I accept it faster than I usually do because in the end I realize we're that much closer to Luck.

36. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If there's one thing I've learned, especially this year, the ability to see the big picture on things Miami Dolphins related, makes it a lot easier to cope with how misguided the whole franchise is, from top to bottom. Front office, coaches, players, the whole lot of it. Change needs to happen, and I believe it will at some point this season or shortly thereafter.

37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Of course you're entitled to express your disgust in our losing season. We're all entitled; however there are much more constructive & mature ways to go about it than "Sucking for Luck". That's not the ONLY option for fan's to express themselves.

I have no problem with anyone who gets excited about the possibility of Luck. Hell, I get excited thinking about Luck in aqua and orange, but that doesn't mean I'm rooting against Miami. For me, Miami comes first; Luck comes 2nd. IMO there's a healthy way to go about it, and there's a negatively unhealthy one. What's so terrible about rooting for Miami to win on game days while simply talking about the possibilities of Luck should our losing persist? I mean, Miami fans talk about Luck as if he's an absolute, which is absurd b/c there's 11 games left and Miami doesn't even have the easiest strength of schedule in case of a tie.

Why can't people, who want Luck, limit that excited mentality to their own living room so that our fanbase still appears to be classy and supportive? That doesn't mean we have to accept Sparano & Ireland or settle for mediocrity b/c you can still root for your team to win while simultaneously voicing your displeasure with the organization. If we have a problem with the organization, then we should be expressing it as such. All Suck for Luck accomplishes is absolves Sparano, Ireland, and company and shifts all the organization's blame onto the QB position, which IMO is a disservice to the guys who ARE leaving it on the field on a weekly basis. If there was no Andrew Luck and there was no elite franchise QB, would you still be rooting for Miami to draft #1?

You know one way to get a guy like Luck's attention (in a good way)? You treat him like he's just another guy and that the Dolphins are more important than he is.... b/c I can PROMISE you, that's how he sees himself and that's how he will view himself in the NFL----> as Andrew Luck the teammate & contributor, not Andrew Luck the face of the organization. Luck's a rare breed in this regard, and we'd be smart as a fanbase to treat him that way.

38. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I agree. Especially the coaching staff and QB position. We have been mediocre at those areas for a long time. That needs to change. In our current state, that combo could be Andrew Luck with Bill Cowher/John Gruden. Not sure who I want honestly. Both have issues that scare me.

39. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, you'd have to define "Sucking for Luck" for me - but I don't think there's a clear definition of it that you or I could provide. My estimation would be that it is designed in doing whatever it takes to get that 1st overall pick, which translates to players throwing games. The Dolphins don't need to do that; they're just bad as it is playing as hard as they can, trying to win. They just don't. Because they're BAD.

As to the second paragraph, the fans being supportive. I'd think any fan that still supports the current front office and coaching staff is pretty dumb. I mean, Michael Lombardi said in that interview the reason that Miami didn't land Jim Harbaugh (Luck's college coach) was because Stephen Ross brought Jeff Ireland on the plane with him. So, for that reason, I don't support what the Miami Dolphins do this year (I've numbed myself to the losing, because quite frankly, I expected it. I thought they'd be 1-4 at this point, so I wasn't far off) - changes need to be made, and sweeping changes at that. That much has been borne out on the field.

How do you know what Andrew Luck thinks? I just don't like when people try and preach to other fans what they should or should not do, especially on a message board. Unless you know Andrew Luck personally; why even bring stuff like this up?

40. MrClean

IMO, our overall roster talent does not compared badly to the rest of the league, to include many of the playoff contenders. The team is poorly coached and poorly led.
    Like Tony's dumb comment before the season that it is better to have an army of deer led by a tiger, than an army of tigers led by a deer. That is true, and we have the latter.

ToddsPhins likes this.