1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Luck says the "Suck for Luck" campaigns is stupid

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jpep13, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I agree with Mr. C. Our roster has talent. It's the coaching, imo.

I also disagee with Ronin that Ireland was the reason we didn't land Harbaugh. I don't buy that for a minute and did not get that from the radio interview with Michael Lombardi.

2. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'll grant you that at certain positions that our talent does not compare badly and I certainly see massive oversights in evaluation by the coaching staff and front office. But, QB, OL, TE, pass-rushers, and FS, we don't measure up. And those are positions you really need in today's NFL.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    because obviously people aren't in tune with how powerful social media is, and how evil the media is, and how perception is reality, and how perception can sway opinion...They just like to hear themselves say UGHHHHH SFL MAN, Where can I buy my tshirt dude?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  4. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    No, I just think you overrate the SFL campaign. It won't sway him from coming to Miami. The direction of the franchise will.

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think there is a huge misscommunication going on, I understand secretely wanting the team to lose games, and am not upset at all for fans to feel that way, but to promote it only shows a lack of understanding of the situation.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  6. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    To each his own, but...

http://www.wqam.com/index.php?page=347

At the 11:08 mark, Lombardi says, "I think it would depend on the person who went out there and talked to Jim...the Dolphins structure I'm not sure is what Jim probably wanted". And at the 11:23 mark he says, "Had he had the right person on the airplane going out there with him, it might have made a lot of difference."

Who do you think he's referring to if not Ireland? Ireland went with Ross. And Lombardi says the 49ers never raised their offer, it was about what was sent in place. That screams Jeff Ireland to me. And Lombardi goes on to say that Harbaugh didn't know Jeff Ireland and that he got to know Trent Balke (49ers GM).

7. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    This.

8. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

IMO, with good coaching, a better OL right side, a better FS and even Henne back at QB, this team could compete well. Allen as 3rd corner and 100% all season and a better weapon as #2 TE would also help. Where did our pass rushers all disappear to? Last season and before, we'd see Langford and McD pushing the pocket and batting down passes. We'd see Starks getting off blocks often and putting pressure. Odrick was showing signs of pass rush ability in preseason. Then now it's like everybody must get stoned before the games. WTF knows? Maybe Tony's pre game "pep" talks have a sedating effect?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Those points back up what I'm saying, though. He didn't know Ireland or anyone in our Front Office. On the other hand, he was looking to work for Sanfran because of the location and familiarity.

10. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    And that situation being what exactly? The Miami Dolphins are 0-5. They're poorly led, poorly coached, and haven't executed as they have in the past. The fans have every right to be displeased. If there were no Andrew Luck in this year's draft, they'd still be just as displeased. IMO, the "Suck for Luck" thing is being completely overblown. If Stephen Ross restructures the front office, gets the right GM, and the right head coach - well then I think you wouldn't have to worry about Luck potentially pulling an Eli Manning. But, Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano ARE NOT those guys. That much should be blatantly obvious given what we've learned about the Harbaugh situation and what the team's displayed on the field. They self-evaluate properly and made dumb moves - and it's burnt them badly (hopefully out of jobs).

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I believe you are right, ive said before, I don't believe it will sway his opinion, he's to much of a man to not accept a challenge of this magnitude, but, Iam gonna play it safe by not promoting something that makes us look classless, and adds embarrassment to a bad reputation..

ToddsPhins likes this.
  12. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'll just agree to disagree about Henne, I won't go into details. But I doubt he's ever going to lead the Miami Dolphins or any other team to much of anywhere.

As for the pass-rushers, I find it an odd coincidence that this year, the first year with new pass-rush coach Bryan Cox, the pass-rush has severely declined. Just saying.

13. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Which is exactly why I think it's Ireland. I mean, if he's as smug and arrogant as Channing Crowder says, I could see his personality clashing with Harbaugh's for sure. I mean, look at what he asked Dez Bryant. Look at any press conference he's ever given. I think that extension of his personality is just part of the Parcells tree. Remember the Sam Shields incident? Sparano roasted the guy for not remembering the defensive back coach's name, and didn't sign him as an UDFA. Later that year, Sam Shields was making plays for the Packers in the Super Bowl.

14. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Lombardi didn't say Harbaugh refused to come because of someones personality or background, though. He said if Ross brought the right person, he could have been swayed into coming here. IMO, that means Ross, Ireland and Peterson all did a bad job at luring in Harbaugh.

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    where do you think the media gets the pulse of the fanbase when they are writing stories about us NATIONALLY.??, unbelievable that you dont think a premiere website like this has no bearing on a fanbases reputation..

ToddsPhins likes this.
  16. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Considering that Jeff Ireland was the one who went with Ross, I'll just agree to disagree.

17. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    ESPN's had a "Suck for Luck" watch since before Week 1 of the season. Miami's mentioned because they're 0-5, and rightfully so.

My point was, I doubt that Andrew Luck's potential decision to pull an "Eli Manning" if you will, would be cause of fans writing something, or not "Sucking for Luck" the "right way" on ThePhins.com. That's just silly. If the Dolphins get the right front office structure, the right GM, and the right coach, then they won't have to worry about that should they be in a position to draft, or trade to draft, Andrew Luck.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    miami is mentioned first in all stories SFL because of the immature ignorant behavior that was on display this preseason, and the already poor reputation we have..were the nations *****.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    and how about when you compound a losing franchise WITH an embarrassing fanbase that hypothetically for 12 weeks has advocated "suck for Luck" despite Andrew calling it out? Do you think that makes things BETTER?.... or WORSE? I don't care how small the percentage is, does it make it better or worse?

There's an easy way to settle this debate. A fan of a prominent Sucks for Luck team can NOT guarantee for 100% certainty that their actions will have no impact on Luck's decisions, where as I can say for 100% certainty that it's entirely possible that SfL COULD have an impact. Human nature is entirely too unpredictable for your argument to have a leg to stand on, and there are countless examples throughout history that defy your belief. How many ignorant fans said or would've said "There's no way Pat Tillman snubs the NFL and millions of dollars to go to war."????

20. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ironically, getting Andrew Luck probably fixes those things. Couple that with a new GM, and a coach who knows what he's doing, and well, I know you DJ, you know what that means. :yes:

21. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Andrew will be fine with playing here if we change the Front Office and coaching staff. Show him the franchise is going in the right direction and he'll play here.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  22. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yes, this!

23. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I think the Suck for Luck sentiment will be a rallying point for the current players. It has to be embarrassing for them. Pulling out a few wins would a) accomplish the goal of every NFL player (winning games) and b) send the big old middle finger to the fans that are promoting the SFL campaign. I don't think it will have any bearing on where Luck goes, but I do think it hurts the SFL camp in that it gives the players added motivation to not end up with the #1 pick. And if you don't think that an inspired Miami team has enough talent to knock off DEN, KC, WAS, BUF, NY or even the Jets, you are sadly mistaken. And this is not me being "scared" of Miami getting Luck. It's me being honest.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree..especially on top of the whole tebow/gator celebration, we suck, but now its a matter of pride.

People who are promoting this, have no clue they could be hurting and helping at the same time, that is hurting the reputation of the fanbase, and motivating your own team in the process...lol

ToddsPhins likes this.
  25. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    It's not being overblown. Tell that to Dansby. He clearly has a problem with it. Do you honestly want to advocate this mentality when players are pissed off by it, especially if some of these players will be with the team a few years?

You can believe what you want, but fans DO make a difference.
    Players can absolutely feel jilted and less motivated if they're playing for a fan base that cares more about losses as well as a guy who's not even on their team. That can carry over to the following year and then some.

Sports are unique b/c fans are like silent owners. Players don't just play for management; they play for the fans, too. If you've ever worked for a crappy manager that doesn't appreciate your effort & hard work, you'd know that money and success aren't the end all be all. I've taken a pay cut and left a good paying job b/c my manager was an ***hole to everyone and never showed appreciation for hard work. Succeeding in the NFL on a personal level is a ridiculously grueling & demanding task. You can't just show up and do your job like the rest of the country; you have to have real passion & heart for it and commit 110% of yourself if you want to succeed and win games. Some players cant get through this on their own without external sources of motivation b/c it's human nature to be lazy and choose the path of least resistance. Therefore a fan base that you thrive on and don't want to let down could absolutely be a source of motivation. The opposite can also be true if a fan base would rather lose than support its current players.

The bottom line is, Luck's not the ONLY player affected by SfL. The last thing you want to do is lose the respect of players on the team you're supposed to be a fan of.

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    so true man..This fanbase is ignorant to the notion that they and the stadium just might have something to do with the consistent ineptitude over decades..

It wouldn't suprise me one bit to find out that the gross behavior of the fanbase and treatment of one of their players {henne} during this preseason, was partly responsible for the lack of passion we see in our team.

I know I know, if we win then everything would be different..lol..

ToddsPhins likes this.
  27. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The fans have far, far, FAR less to do with the Miami Dolphins ineptitude than the front office, coaches, and the players themselves. Period. There's no two ways about that.

If Karlos Dansby can't handle what the fans say, perhaps he should do something about it. You know, on the field. He's been a ghost this year. There's no two ways about that either.

It's exactly why I think the "Suck for Luck" thing is overblown. If the players and coaches don't want to hear it, all they have to do is win. They have yet to do so this year, hence the talk. But I think you and ToddPhins are making a mountain out of a molehill, which is fine, it's your prerogative on a forum like this. But it just seems silly to me you'd be worried about it affecting what Andrew Luck himself thinks.

28. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    The last day to declare for the NFL draft is less than 2 weeks after the NFL regular season is over, at which time Luck will know who's picking first. Are you saying that we'll have our head coach etc hired by then?

And you said you "doubt". That implies uncertainty. Regardless of how small a degree of uncertainty, it's still uncertainty nonetheless. The difference between you and I is: we both feel Luck will most likely not be swayed by SfL, however I recognize that fact that it's possible, where as you don't. Because of this, I take a more precautionary, take-no-chances approach, where as you seem to take more of a foolishly carefree "it could never happen to us" approach. SfL could very well have no impact on anything, but that's not a game of Russian Roulette I want to play. There are ONLY 2 consequences from actively advocating Suck for Luck: no consequences or negative consequences. There's absolutely NOTHING positive that can come from it....... so why do it?

29. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    See the first 2 sentences of my previous post.

30. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    "A foolishly carefree approach" to what exactly? Andrew Luck's decision to potentially pull an "Eli Manning" will have nothing to do with me. I don't know him, he doesn't know me. It's that simple.

I simply think that it's useless paranoia to be worried about the fans impact on Andrew Luck's decision.

31. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Is that an excuse for fans to act like jackasses? And I didn't realize the draft was tomorrow and we're picking 1st. I also didn't realize a top flight HC & GM has agreed work for this team.

Oh, but if the draft were tomorrow, we wouldn't be picking first b/c we dont have the weakest strength of schedule.

32. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Andrew Luck's already said he's declaring for the Draft.

33. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Why?

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree, far more ineptitude up there, however, there have been 3 great football minds up there that have fallen short miserbly over the past 2 decades.. I'am sure tired of hearing over the past decades how we always seem to have a team that doesn't play with emotion and passion.

ToddsPhins and RoninFin4 like this.
  35. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I completely agree and said this a week or so ago. I'm glad you mentioned it, too, because some posters ridiculously think I have ulterior motives regarding Luck, so they dismissed it.

This is how it plays out in the locker room: SfL motivates players to win games, but it's a superficial motivation in the fact that it's only used to serve as a big **** you to the fans. If these jilted-feeling players get these wins, then they'll change their mentality to, "Now that we screwed up your Suck for Luck hopes, we could care less about winning for you.". Hence the goal to screw over fans and motivation to prove them wrong disappears, and players enter the "I don't give a **** mode"..... and Miami's right back to losing again.

36. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I don't think that has much to do with the fans so much as the players and coaches themselves. That's my point with getting the right front office, GM, coach, and QB (hopefully Andrew Luck). You do that, the team will win. When you win, the fans will come to the games. There won't be a need for "Tim Tebow Day" or whatever the thing is called. But, even as Tony Sparano understood, you've got to give the fans something to cheer about (winning games). The 2011 version of the Dolphins hasn't delivered, and I think the growing sentiment from most fans I personally know, was that no one wanted Sparano back after 2010. He's still here. He's still losing. He's still losing home games. Fans grow tired of losing, and hence, don't show up and don't care as much.

37. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You are aware Tony Sparano is the coach and Matt Moore is the QB right? No matter what the players think about what the fans say, I don't think it's going to matter with Tony Sparano in charge and Matt Moore at QB, that's all I'm saying.

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    exactly.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  39. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    You're right; it won't have anything to do with you in the strict sense, but it will have something to do with you if he for some reason lists Miami's overwhelming Suck for Luck campaign as one of his reasons he doesn't want to play here. It would have something to do with you b/c you represent SfL.

It's not paranoia; it's completely removing ourselves as a fan base from any risk is what it is. Luck has openly called it stupid, so why antagonize him?

Not only does SfL "potentially" influence Luck, but it also potentially influences Free Agents & current Dolphin players. Honestly, what FA of quality and worth would want to play for an organization WITH a crappy fan base if they have a choice?

40. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Because it's the cool thing to do.