1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Luck & Tebow Tidbits

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Southbeach, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Yesterday, on Mike & Mike, they said Luck was asked about going to the Dolphins and the SFL syndrome. Luck said that Miami is going through some tuff times but, real fans support their teams, even when they are down. He continued that he was only concerned about the present, and winning games for his current team. Golic said that he is saying all the right things, as he should.

This is not 100% accurate on exactly what the said, as I was listening on radio but, at least 95% on what he was saying. I know that Luck is a football fanatic, and has to follow things in the NFL by himself or through his dad.

Andrew & Oliver will be calling the shots on where he goes, at least to a degree. They see Henne being ripped, boo'ed in pre-season practice, and rants for Orton. They see "Phans" wanting "their team" to lose to draft him, a disaster of an owner, and no idea who may be the coach or OC. WOW!!! THAT'S WHERE I WANT TO BE.

On to Tiny Tim Tebow. "Our Team" is having a Gator Day for Tebow in his first start this year. It has become a Tebow home game, and we are again being laughed at. The "silver lining" is that, because of Tebow, we sold 10-20,000 tickets, with Bud buying out the leftovers. So, the game will not be blacked out.

Maybe, just maybe, homeless players get pissed, and play as they can. Just dreaming.

ToddsPhins and gafinfan like this.
  2. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Every team that has a shot at Luck will have fans that want to tank the season for him.

I don't see why people sit down and act as if Miami is the only fanbase that is doing so.

Aquafin, Clipse, brandon27 and 7 others like this.
  3. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    This whole gator day is a joke, it just shows you how bad ownership is. This whole team is a joke right now, from top to bottom.

Aquafin and PHINZ4LIFE like this.
  4. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Can we stop being paranoid about Luck not wanting to play here. Please, it's ridiculous.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This comes from fans seeing players as abstractions not competitive athletes.

6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Spoiler alert: so do the teams. Welcome to the free agency era.

muscle979 and ckparrothead like this.
  7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    If Andrew Luck decides he doesn't want to play here it will not be because of the Suck For Luck phenomenon. It would be because he doesn't like the team organizational structure, the new coach, etc...OR because he's visited a number of teams and has been flat out wooed by one of the teams he's met with, and has been talked into pulling an Eli Manning.

That's the primary danger. When Eli/Archie made the decision they made it was in part because they didn't like the Spanos family or how that organization was set up, but also in part because they loved the Mara family and the way that organization was set up, also the big New York market they were in. It was half "I don't want to play for you," and half "I want to play for New York."

So the fun doesn't stop if the Dolphins get the #1 overall pick. They have to woo him just like anyone else. And that is why Jeff Ireland CANNOT be the General Manager when that has to happen. The man that is arrogant enough to think it's OK to ask a prospect if his mom was a prostitute, just to see his reaction, is not going to handle this potentially-delicate situation with the dexterity required. He'd try to strong arm Andrew Luck, and act like Luck is stuck with the Dolphins whether he likes it or not, and it's up to the Dolphins purely to figure out if they want Andrew Luck at all.

Tell me that's not true. Go ahead.

Michael Lombardi just flat out said that the reason we didn't get Jim Harbaugh was because of who was on the plane with Steve Ross when he went to go meet Harbaugh. He was talking about Jeff Ireland. So you want this guy handling the drafting of the prospect with the most power and notoriety in perhaps the entire history of the Draft? Really? I sure as hell do not.

Aquafin, Clipse, SeanP and 16 others like this.
  8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    CK, you have to update your sig.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm too busy to design something new.

10. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Almost feel like I've seen these topics already...

11. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Hey, remember when this forum thought it was no big deal when Ireland asked Bryant if his mother was a prostitute? How it was Bryant's fault for being suspicious in the first place?

Yeah.

PhinPhanatic likes this.
  12. DJ Teknision1200

DJ Teknision1200 New Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I know everyone is calling this Sundays game Tebow day, but wasn't Pouncey also on that 2008 championship team?

PhinPhanatic likes this.
  13. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No one in their right mind is buying a ticket to this thing thinking "Hey, I want to see Mike Pouncey! He was awesome that year! Favorite. Gator. Ever." Just isn't happening.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    While agree there is a level of paranoia going on, however, I think Andrew Luck is a true leader and as a man, will want to make his own decisions, and will not turn down a franchise with a rich history {At least I truly hope not} in need of his services based on the immature promotions from a section of a fanbase, however, I do think this fanbase needs to think about their actions before they promote such damaging behavior to the IMAGE of YOUR team.. I will say this...The level of criticism did not start after the losses this year, it started well before, putting a negative image upon the team before they even practiced a snap..That is not a healthy environment for a team to be successful.

I completely understand the fan who wants us to wind up with the worst record this year, we all know that the team is not going to the playoffs, I get it, and part of me is not feeling the losses as bad, however, if we could just have a little class in the process and try to protect the IMAGE of OUR team, I think it would matter in the long run..

That's what really bothers me about this overtly public promotion of Andrew Luck, your only hurting the IMAGE of YOUR team, in the big picture, and if you don't think your words can affect human beings and their performance, you are kidding yourselves.

Don't you all want to be perceived well and respected as a fanbase?..if so, then simply think before you write or speak out, cause you never know who's listening or reading, do your part to protect the image of your team..Hopefully some don't think I'am trying to tell everyone how to be a fan, I'am just trying to protect the image of our team, thats all.

Aquafin and ToddsPhins like this.
  15. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Andrew Luck isn't going to read this forum and think "Hey, these guys want me THAT badly? Better not go to Miami!" Hell, Andrew Luck isn't going to read this forum at all. Now, we know the Dolphins media mafia is reading this forum and ripping off posts for blog and column fodder, but that's not the same thing.

Don't buy into a false premise.

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree Des, I don't think Luck is personally reading the forums, and that's not really my point..My point is what you said, this..''Now, we know the Dolphins media mafia is reading this forum and ripping off posts for blog and column fodder, but that's not the same thing.''.

I believe it all starts somewhere, and our media is the root of the problem, so why give them any more fuel, they don't care about the miami dolphins, we do...and were only giving them more fuel to spew their garbage reporting...Their laughing at us, and we are doing nothing to protect the image of a team that we truly care about while they don't.

Perception is reality in this case, and I for one, will always try to reverse that, to create an enviornment where we are respected in perception, and I only say that not because I'am some crazy *** fan, but because I do believe that decisions and performances can be affected by perception.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  17. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    The gator day is way bigger of a joke then the whole suck for luck thing if you ask me but who cares what I think lol. No one started the season wanting to lose out you play the hand your dealt we started slow then lost our qb to ir. However in the same stadium that the canes play we decide to have a gator day to honor tebow in canes town that's honestly a bigger joke than if the dolphins end up 0-16.

18. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Totally agree we must have Jeff Ireland gone before even thinking we have any chance at Andrew Luck.

I will add one more overlooked point in this coming game with Tim Tebow. Much has been made by this fan base concerning the negative approach of calling this a Tim Tebow day. While I fully understand that side of this coin the other side surely cements, with Steven Ross, the need for picking an Andrew Luck type player if he is really committed to tickets sales going forward after this season! All he has to do is open his eyes!:yes::up:

19. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    John Clayton was on 790 this morning and was asked about teams, like us, possibly reaching out to Oliver Luck and starting to gauge whether or not there is going to be a problem with Andrew coming to their particular team.

Clayton made it clear that Oliver Luck is well respected in the NFL, that he respects the draft process and that neither he or Andrew are likely to be a problem, except in some kind of severely problematic situation. That being said, Clayton agreed that it would be smart to back channel talk to Oliver Luck relatively soon and find out if there are any problems and what could be done to alleviate those problems now, when they might be able to be solved.

Clayton didn;t necessarily feel this would be tampering, but was certain it would go on.

Long story short, if Ross/Carl Petersen aren't getting feelers from Oliver Luck as to what it would take to ensure that Andrew is not going to be a problem should the Fins end up #1 they are not doing their jobs.

2xBlown, gafinfan, muscle979 and 3 others like this.
  20. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

CK is partially right. Ireland must go for there to be one less issue with wooing Luck, if it comes to that. My gut tells me we won't be in the race by then...not because I think this team will win many games, but because it's just our 'luck'...no pun intended. At any rate, who the GM and HC are in April will go a long way in appeasing any issues that Luck may have. The thing is, these guys don't really have a choice with the new CBA and pretty much have to sign. There are ways to make it miserable, but it's likely to be more miserable for Luck than for the Fins. So at this point, the SFL campaign is just a silly past time, nothing serious...I don't see the 53 players on the roster willing to give up just yet. Besides, the team we'd be "Most Likely To Defeat" is Denver...

21. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

That last statement is easily said. Ross was bitten by the Harbaugh thing, he won't want to jump into a potential media frenzy should it go viral. And think about what Ross going back door to Luck would do to the current team, should it go viral ?? There are so many issues that could come up if that 'back door' conversation got out...I see him doing a full court press come January though....

22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Ironically in all this the team i fear would be able to sway Luck into playing the "Im not playing there" road, would be Denver and Stanford Alum/Horsemouth/ a**hole John Elway.

He's trading Wrs...starting a QB that cant throw, im telling u right now Big Teeth wants Luck.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    This I absolutely agree with..I think with his new coach there, there really is no pressure to win this year, and Elway is one of the guys who has actually held the draft hostage...and him going to one of his games during the first quarter of the season???, I don't know, Sabatoge is a strong word, but a lot of damn signs point to it.

24. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I just don't see the huge attraction in playing in Denver.

John Elway may be a Stanford alum, but Luck has said his QB idol is Peyton Manning. Not sure he cares about Elway, or would force his way to Denver because of him.

Denver has a an average coach, below average skill position talent, and the fans are already in love with another QB (goes by the name of Tebow)

If Andrew Luck wants to be the unquestioned king of the castle, he comes here.

25. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Honestly, to seal the deal, I'd do just about anything.

After we hire Cowher as head coach, maybe we can lure David Shaw away from Stanford, make him the OC. Maybe his goal is to be an NFL head coach rather than a college coach (particularly at Stanford which is relevant once every two decades when Elway or Luck come along).

What better way to get to be an NFL head coach then to coach Luck under cowher for a few years

26. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    I don't know, I think the suspicion regarding Elway is as foolish as some who said maybe Harbaugh tanks to get his QB before the season started. Harbaugh's team is winning so that ended, while Denver isn't winning because they're bad and the talk continues. I know Tebow has some issues but that team came to life two weeks ago when he went in. If you want to lose, you would have just kept Orton in. Maybe Tebow struggles, not sure he isn't the best option right now though. I mean Tebow can throw an interception as good as Orton can, and Tebow can run. Same thing with replacing Kerry Collins, if your goal is Luck then Kerry was doing a fine job getting you there.

The SFL thing is good to keep message boards busy and churn out some articles, that's as far as it goes, in my opinion. Now if week 17 Denver is in contention for #1 overall and starts Brady Quinn.... then maybe we can talk.

gafinfan likes this.
  27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Luck comes out and says that fans rooting for their team to lose is not a fanbase that he would like to play for, then a week later it comes out in a report that there might be a power play involved..If we just keep avoiding the topic thinking that everything will be ok, and not try to change a bit, then if some sh^5 goes down, there is gonna be some real angry people around these parts..

JUST QUIT FU^%ING PROMOTING SUCH CHILDISH BEHAVIOR..!!!!!Keep it to your goddamn self..{not pointed at you schmoot}

And Karlos dansby's comments about our fanbase just went national..

Protect the image of your team, not embarrass it.

ToddsPhins and steveincolorado like this.
  28. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    He never said that, or anything close to it Deej. That was what PFT's healdine said but Luck did not say anything of the sort.

We'll see what it's like at the stadium on Sunday. I imagine there won't be all that many Suck 4 Luck signs.

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Whats happening here schmoot is something unprescedented I'am afraid, I think were gonna see a team turn on their own fanbase, right or wrong in this case, this is what is transpiring, and I've never seen anything like it before in sports...That stadium is going to be rooting against the home team, especially with the ticket distribution, and I would not be suprised, to see that home team play for the first time, with emotion and anger, and win....This has the making of a national story of embarrassment..What a headline....''Dolphins players win despite their fans.''.....nice..real fu$$#n nice.

30. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    The part you and I will disagree on is ......the image of our team, to everyone but us old timers is......we suk as a franchise. We are the Falcons of the last 40 years. We are the Lions of.......well..........FOREVER, or until this year. What is said now cant drag us any lower than we are already thought of by OTHERS. Thats just the way it is these days. We cant trash.......trash. WE....like to look at our team as if we are somebody.........but..............

Califin and steveincolorado like this.
  31. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I thought that was going to have happened already.

Remember the whole "win the crowd thing". "We'd love to do it with you, but we'll do it without" The biggest joke here is the team and its coaches.

I'll be at the game, and while I won;t boo, and certainly won't cheer for Denver openly, I'm not too incentivized to root root root for the home team

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    your right, but every man has their breaking point..They may not give a sh^% anymore about their coach or this team, but now were talking about pride..Its gonna be ugly, really ugly, win, or lose..

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Just tell me what your saying ATL? don't sugarcoat it?

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and here is your national headline thats being disccussed all over espn...''Dolphins fans supporting suck for luck movement in order to draft Andrew Luck''...

Every time I see this freakin topic discussed OUR DAMN NAME IS ATTACHED TO IT, and I know damn well other teams fanbases are doing the same thing..

Iam gonna lose it man.

Califin likes this.
  35. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I totally agree. It's all on Ross at the end of the year and if he can get the right people in here who can offset his past mistakes and restore the pride and respect into the franchise there should be no reason Luck would not come. IMO Gruden, Cowher, and maybe even Fisher with Ireland gone, bags Luck no problem. But if they're standing at the podium at #1 with any combination of Sparano, Ireland, Peterson, or Mangini he'll pull and Eli.

36. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    mi2cents likes this.
  37. HenneGivenSunday

HenneGivenSunday New Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Miami is one of the most successful franchises in football, history wise. If Luck is as big of a competitor as I think he is, he won't turn down an opportunity to restore this downtrodden franchise to glory. He'd be a legend if he did. And if he doesn't want to play here, then we take him anyway and trade him for a kings random. I don't think he'll do that though.

38. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
  39. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Do you really think that today's player actually cares about restoring a franchise to glory? This just keeps getting better and better.

I would think that going to a stable organization that is committed to putting a top notch team on the field year in and year out, with a competent front office and coaching staff would mean a zillion times more than returning a franchise to glory. Color me nutty.

ToddsPhins and steveincolorado like this.
  40. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    OH NO! I sure hope they don't turn on us by intentionally losing all their home games...:shifty:

Starry31 likes this.