1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac opinions wanted.

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Sethdaddy8, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    On 2 matters.

I am looking to get a new laptop. My Macbook is about 5 years old, the battery is weak, and it is getting prett slow. Running office takes forever, and the internet, with 2 other PCs and a coupe cordless baby monitors makes it slow as molasses some times. Keeping in mind that I value aesthetics, and am superficial...

Do I get the Macbook air with 256gb hd with 4bg memory
    or the Macbook pro with 750gb and 4 or 8gb memory? I will be using this for a lot of things, pictures, work, documents, travel and trasnsport...

also, i have a iphone 3GS with a nice crack down the front. I have been holding out for he iphone 5, but now its looking like a fall release. I'd like to wait, but the news had contradicting stories every single day about the release. Now theyre saying an iphone 4GS is going to be released. What do we do here?

Thank you.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Steve Jobs stroked his money sack vigorously as he read this thread.

MarinePhinFan and unluckyluciano like this.
  3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Wait until next month when the new MacBook Air model is available and then make a decision between huge amounts of storage or the thin and light form factor. I would say if you travel a lot, get the Air, and use cloud storage (like the 5GB on iCloud) to keep any essential photos, documents, etc that you need to share between devices.

The iPhone 5 and 4GS are interchangeable terms at this point: both refer to the upcoming iPhone. It's the fifth iPhone, thus it's appropriate to call it iPhone 5; but some rumors peg it as an incremental hardware update and not a redesign, thus where the term iPhone 4S comes from.

The next iPhone will likely be introduced in September at the annual iPod media event, though there's a rumor that Apple will either show the next iPhone separately in August, or will just move the iPod event up to August and show everything there. Basically, if you need a new phone, the iPhone 4 is on sale at Walmart for $147, and it's still an excellent device that will serve you well. If you can wait, then wait for the next iPhone.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  4. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Any idea of the specs/price point of the new air? I see a lot of speculation but no info on it.

And so the next iphone released should be a significant upgrade? They're not going to say, release a 4GS, then release the 5 a few months later. The next iphone should stay for some time?

5. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    At minimum, a CPU bump. Potentially a small GPU update as well. Slight chance of larger SSDs.

The next iPhone will be around until at least June 2012.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  6. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I got the iphone 4 and macbook pro within the last year and both are pretty darn solid. I usually keep about 20 tabs open for browsing on my pro and still this thing freezes at most once a month. I think Desides gets a commission off this stuff since he pretty much pushed me over the edge on my mac decision a year or so ago lol :)

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  7. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don't, but if you want to forward me a few bucks as a thank you, I can give you my Paypal address. :shifty:

Boik14 likes this.
  8. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    That thanks will have to do :)

9. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Cheapskate. Crappy tipper. Ingrate. :lol:

Boik14 likes this.
  10. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Unless you intend on editing video on your Macbook, I don't think the 750GB hard drive is necessary. Even then, I would store your important documents on an external hard drive or maybe Dropbox (I think it's free for 2GB).

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  11. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Yeah, my new HD camcorder records on SD cards, so on highest def mode, a 3 hour video can take up 32gb or more. that will add up over the next 5 or so years with my youngins. one of those terrabyte external HDs may make sense for me...this way, i can rule in the air.

for a small laptop(in size) the macbook pro is a friggin brick. thing is hefty for sure.

oh, that reminds me, if anyone knows a place to get great deals on sd cards, thatd be appreciated.

12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It's definitely hefty, but could be much worse. Look at the Dell Inspiron or Alienware anything. You could beat someone to death with those. :lol:

Amazon is usually your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  13. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Word to that.

A good archive system for your videos (after you edit/export them) is to save them as h.264 files. Smaller in size, but great quality.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    KingMotion loves this thread.......He has some pretty clear views on this subject I believe.....

15. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You should see my IBM Thinkpad, and that doesn't even take into consideration the freaking power brick.

16. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No wonder people call IBM/Lenovo notebooks tough. :lol:

Anyway, looking like a mid-month release for OS X Lion, and by extension, new MacBook Airs:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  17. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Well, this morning, I ordered this.

256gb with the I7 chip. Im excited. Hope it ships soon. Ordered office 2011 for $200 too. Not too bad. but a hefty price tag when all said and done.

Is Anti-virus worth it for the Macs yet? Nortons makes one, and I have an extra license, should I use it, or will it do more harm than good?

18. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Im pretty sure you will be happy with it; everyone I speak to, including me, likes their Mac. And yes I speak to me :)

19. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I downloaded Sophos for my Macbook. Its really slowing things down though, during the scan! Anyone have any Mac anti-virus pointers or suggestions? I read good things about Sophos, but of course some haters too.

20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Here's a great hint for using Sophos: don't.

In fact, any anti-virus app you load on your Mac is a complete and utter waste of time, money, and CPU cycles. There are no viruses in the wild that affect OS X. None. There are a couple of Trojans which you can easily avoid by not installing (entering your username and password when prompted) apps that you aren't sure about.

The only reason to use an anti-virus app on a Mac is if you're in a mixed Windows-OS X network and you want/need to scan for Windows viruses on shared documents. That is, you only need to run anti-virus as a favor to your Windows-using buddies.

Cease your virus scanning, quit the Sophos app, and uninstall it. It is stealing your precious CPU cycles.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  21. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    In fact, I'll take my previous post a step further. You want to secure your Mac from every attempt at a drive-by installation of malware?

Safari → Preferences → General → Untick "Open 'safe' files after downloading".

Assuming you use Safari, that will protect you from every casual drive-by threat you'll ever encounter, while installing Safari Adblock will cover all the nonsense that the Internet spews at you.

Want to take it a step further? Beef up your password security, buy and use 1Password. Using complex 16-24 character passwords that 1Password remembers for you will go a long way to preventing someone from guessing, say, your Paypal account password and running up a nice bill.

You could also activate the built-in software firewall ( → System Preferences → Security and Privacy → Firewall) even though your cable/DSL modem (and your router, if you have one) already handle firewall functions at a hardware level. I wouldn't bother with this, but if you're super-paranoid…

What I'm saying here is that your Mac is already plenty secure, especially with the enhancements built into Lion. Your primary security concern is not what gets onto your computer, but what gets into your various Internet accounts (Paypal, Amazon, eBay, etc).

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  22. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Been planning on getting an iMac when I decide to replace my current laptop. I really have no need for a laptop with my iPhone.

23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Thank you!

Desides likes this.
  24. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I'm excited. I got the SuperDrive and office 2011 today. Hoping the laptop arrives tomorrow.

25. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Apple ships stuff out pretty quickly. You'll get it sooner rather than later.

26. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Ive had it for a few days now. Happy with my decision. The new air is a beast.

Desides likes this.
  27. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    When in Hades is the iPhone 5 coming out ?!!!

28. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    [​IMG]

29. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    eventually, im sure....:)

30. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    On or around October 5 with a late September announcement. Looks like it's coming to Sprint with unlimited data and possibly T-Mobile as well.

So sayeth the latest rumors.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  31. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Can I ask an honest question?

Why would anyone buy a Macbook Air? More money, less space, less powerful. I mean, is the extra couple pounds going to make you struggle? Do you only have an office envelope available to carry your laptop, and a pro won't fit in there?

Or, more likely, you like the sleek, cool trendy look?

P.S. I'm not a Mac hater, I own a pro.

32. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i do work from the road a lot. and its not even the weight, as much as the girth sometimes, when I'm loading up my briefcase. My essentials, files, computer, baby wipes...space is limited.

That being said, the new air with the I7 processor, really is not much different than the pro...except for size/weight. Its an impressive computer.

33. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The MBA costs less than the MBP (starts at $999), and is not less powerful. As for less space, this is true, but most people tend not to have a huge amount of files beyond their photo albums or iTunes music libraries, both of which are being moved into iCloud anyway. For movies, people are gravitating toward streaming services like Hulu and Netflix, meaning they don't download movies to begin with. And people are absolutely willing to take the tradeoff of less storage space for faster storage access.

Basically, your assumptions about the Air are wrong, which is why you don't understand why people want to buy it.

34. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ