1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Madden '10

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by anlgp, Mar 9, 2009.

1. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA

We're talking about pressing a few buttons here. It shouldn't be frustratingly difficult [I guess I'm an idiot b/c it repeatedly frustrated me and my buddies] and I shouldn't have to invest the amount of time to master it as I would a good guitar riff or something. It's a video game. I don't want the learning curve to be too steep just to enjoy the game. I absolutely agree someone who was good with the cone would be a lot better. But the average Madden player didn't want to fool with it. The throwing on the run thing is another glitch with Madden, kind of like the super linebackers that swat passes out of the air from across the field. It could be addressed by EA putting some time and effort into the things that matter the most in Madden rather than just trying to pretty up the same game and put a new year number and player on the cover.

anlgp and Uncle Rico like this.
  2. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Well, being good atMadden is more than just picking a play. I think the cone was only standard in the Hardcore ranked games. In the other games, it was off, and you could turn it off in offline games altogether. They should have kept the Hardcore ranked games.

3. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    resnor. whether u like it or not, the cone was created as a handicap for people who suck at defense. just because u cant keep the Qb in the pocket, doesnt mean there needs to be a feature that makes passing more difficult. In real football, a Qb can throw to a WR the instant he sees him open. The window to throw in could be so small that you dont have time to switch the cone first. Its a severe handicap, and benefits the defense in an unrealistic way.

i have no trouble stopping scrammbling Qbs in Madden 09, without a cone. you wanna scramble? go for it man. lets see how long before you fumble. you wanna bomb it downfield after running around for 6 seconds? go ahead. it will be user picked.

bottom line is that cone-lovers suck at creating pressure on the qb, and need to know exactly who the QB is looking at. cone = lame

muscle979 likes this.
  4. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I disagree, Gish. The cone was really put in to stop the use of Vick that was so prevalent at the time. Guys didn't sprint out of the pocket with him. Rather, they would run directly back, and then throw it to a receiver who was now behind the D because the D came up when the Qb ran back so far.

Frankly, if you want to be able to throw at any receiver that is open the split second he is open, then there should only be one button to hit to throw the ball...and then the computer determines who is open and throws it to that receiver. Also, the beauty of the cone was that you could bait the D into one receiver, all while you were waiting for another receiver to come open...and then you flipped the cone to that guy and zipped it out.

Do you play on ps3 or 360? If you're on ps3, I'll play you in some games, just to see what you got. I'm not the greatest, but I'm not the worst, either. Also, who do you run with online? Do you use one of the good teams, or do you use the Dolphins? I run almost exclusively with the FIns, and I find it ridiculously hard to bring good pressure while maintaining decent coverage.

I never said I couldn't stop a scrambling QB without a cone. I can. However, if you use the Dolphins vs say, the Cowboys, it is pretty damn tough to stop the scrambling Romo to TO combo...and if you come out in a D to stop that, and they run it with Barber? Nine times out of ten, you will get torched.

5. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    none of that is possible in 09, so its really moot.

i agree that it should only take one button to fire the ball to a receiver. 2, if you count precision passing. but why would the CPU need to decide who is open? isnt that the players job? read the defense and time the pass, no worries. the problem with the cone is that by the time u check down to a new receiver and change the cone, he wont be open anymore. im generally a quick passer. usually 3 seconds or less and i throw the ball.

i play on 360. i use the cardinals most of the time. but i can play with any team. the key to pressuring the QB, IMO, is trapping him in the pocket. i tend to bring most of my pressure from the left, and then user control a DE and rush off the right end. players who are used to being able to scrammble stand no chance. players who are good at throwing from the pocket are the hard ones to get. you just gotta keep mixing it up and throwing new looks at them. shift your lbs and dl on every play. keep moving things around. if youre playing zone, and you notice that hes not attacking a certain area, then take the player from that zone and make him blitz or double up on a different player. theres nothing easy about stopping a well balanced offense. IMO, defense is about risk vs reward. its up to you to decide when is the right time to take the risk.

youve got three types of players on offense. guys who will run until you force them to pass. guys who will pass no matter what. and guys who will randomly do either, depending on your defense.

the ones that run until you force them to pass are my favorite. generally it will take them a long time to move down the field. at some point they will likely face a 2nd and long. if and when they do, you must do your absolute best to eff them up on that play. once you do that, they are done.

the ones that pass no matter what, which i happen to be, can be difficult depending on how many different looks they can give you. generally these players will either suck really bad, or make you look stupid. its your job to make them throw sooner than they want to, and hit stick his WRs as much as possible. a well diguised zone blitz can create nightmares for these players.

the ones who mix it up are kinda hard to stop, but one play will eff their day up. once you force them to pass, they are very vulnerable. if i know that he's only running to set up the playaction pass, then that tells me i can defend against the playaction pass on every play, and eventually he will get destroyed for a huge loss.

you just have to be creative, and try to be one step ahead of your opponent. try to always do something new. dont let him figure your defense out and beat u the same way everytime. oh, and it doesnt hurt to practice your coverage skills in the virtual trainer.

6. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    I went into EB Games the other day to return my old PS2 and NCAA Football 2009 on 360 and was able to get $45 cash + put my $5 down on a reserved copy of Madden '10, coming out August 18th and I can't wait. I really need to get the online gear so I can school gish all night at Madden with my Jay Cutler led Detroit Lions. :wink2:

Thinking of that... thats my question.

Say I start a franchise on my Madden, get all the live stuff so I can play people online... can I use that team or do I have to use one of the normal 2009 teams? I would like to use my 2010 Detroit Lions that of Jay Cutler, Kevin Smith, Calvin Johnson & Lee Evans.

7. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    you can only use standard rosters for online ranked games. you can make a fake team and play me unranked though.

and what do you mean by online gear?

8. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    another thing i hope they add to madden 10 is unique kickoff plays. like a reverse, a scripted lateral, a surprise onside, a squib, a onside squib. maybe even allow us to create our own return schemes with custom blocking patterns. that would be awesome. it would make kickoff coverage a lot tougher, and more fun.

9. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Gish, it is extremely difficult to bring consistent pressure with the Dolphins. The other problem with the Dolphins is that the defense plays really inconsistent. One game the DB's will be in great position on every pass, and be swarming the ball, and then in the next game, the DB's can't cover a third string receiver.

Also, while 09 isn't as bad as 07, if you have Romo, or Roethlisberger, or Young, or Russell, or even Rivers (there's a couple others too), you can sprint directly back, and gain a significant advantage, at least against weaker teams like the Dolphins.

They need to change the kickoff receiving option too. I keep running into guys who come out kicking the ball to me in an onside formation. If come out in an onside kick formation, they then audible to a regular. If I audible to a regular kick formation, they then audible back to the onside kick, and I'm sruck with the regular kick return. It's ridiculous. Of course, bringing back the fairplay setting would solve this

10. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    i really have no idea what ur talking about when u say they can run directly backwards and then burn you deep. that should be an easy INT for you everytime. or at least a knockdown.

11. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Where did I say that I was getting burned deep? I do get mr fair share of user picks...I'm saying that the QB scrambling and accuracy on the run is too great. I do agree, they could simply turn that down, but I liked the cone when I was on offense. Like I said, the cone was efficative for baiting the D to one receiver, when I was planning on going to a different receiver.

The point about the Dolphins defense is simply that when you use bad tems, as opposed to good teams, and I think the Cardinals are a good team, the problems I am talking about are more magnified.

12. aboome

aboome Resident Madden God Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Boston
    this right here is so true. i developed my stick skills using this, ask gish about how i made Will Allen look like Ed Reed jumping routes lol

GISH likes this.
  13. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I HATE the new defense drills in 09...however, I do all right for myself in the user pick category...I usually get two or three a game. However, getting user picks, at least for me is dependant upon your D being in the right place so that when you click on, you're in a position to make a play...and it's much harder for the Dolphins D to have you in that position than a better team, especially when you have a QB scrambling around and flining it all over the field with pinpoint accuracy.

14. aboome

aboome Resident Madden God Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Boston
    I always play with miami the only complaint i have is dropped picks but other than that im able to rape any team in madden

GISH likes this.
  15. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Dude, SO MANY dropped picks. The other night, I also had a ton of dropped passes...Ginn, Fasano, Bess, everyone was dropping everything.

I have a huge complaint, though, with how "bad" they made Brown in comparison to other backs. He's a 91 speed, and he rarely breaks tackles, at least for me...I mean, if he gets hit at all in the backfield, he's going down. As opposed to Thomas Jones, for instance, who I hit in the backfield with Langford, who he shrugged off, abd then he shrugged off Roth and Crowder, and then he went 40 yards for a TD.

All I know is, I use the Dolphins, and can usually habg with even a couple levels higher than me (level 7 or 8 guys)who are using the Cowboys or Steelers, but if I use the Titans, or Chargers or whatever, all my plays work so much better.

16. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Madden is the most over rated game in this generation. Over priced, over played, and over sold.

anlgp, muscle979 and Pagan like this.
  17. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Amen.

18. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Wii play?

19. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    It may be a bit over-rated, but I disagree with the overplayed and oversold par It's not overplayed or oversold IF YOU LIKE THE GAME, which I, and many others, do, despite its flaws.

Stitches likes this.
  20. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    go to the virtual trainer. choose pass defense. then choose coverage only. then play on easy until you get 10/10. then play on medium till you get 10/10. then play on hard until you get 10/10 (or until you get pissed and quit). do this everyday before you play. your hit sticking and user picks will spike through the roof.

resnor likes this.
  21. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
  22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I dont know if it is a PS2 thing but I have been Dc'd 4 times in three days and 2 of the jerk-offs were level 20 or above.

Cowards who cant take a loss...is it the same on 360 or the PS3? Im sure these nerds can always find a way to get out of a loss.

23. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    there are still DCs on 360. some ****ers refuse to lose.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  24. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    So, just for kicks, I played some dude today, and I used the Cardinals for the first time. This guy was using the Chargers. He was a level one, but, looking through his stats, he had beaten some level 4 and higher guys. Anyway, I struggled on offense a bit...I thought that Warner threw a kinda weak ball, but, Edge broke some tackles, and I ran a counter in for a TD with one the faster backup RB. HOWEVER, the BIGGEST difference between using that Dolphins and the Cardinals, for me, was the defense. The Cardinals defense was GREAT. I had 6 picks, and a forced fumble that I recovered. Rodgers Cromartie had 3 picks, covering Chambers all game. I mean, it's like I said, the players were in position, so I could click on and get the user picks. I was stuffing the FB dive no problem with them, too.

25. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    you got it man. the card defense is insane. most peeps think its just their WRs that give them an edge in madden. But the D is just as good as pittburghs. Still, all of that can be done with Miami. You will drop picks, but you will still give up less points at the end of the day.

My new favorite team is San Deigo. Darren Sproles is a monster like none other.

26. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    The Redskins run my spread offense quite well with the depth at WR, Malcom Kelly is good for 8-9 catches working vs zone coverages, and the DB's are monsters.....I put Deangelo Hall at S and user him around the field.

27. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    i never user my best defenders. they are the ones that will get picks on their own. by user controlling a bad player who is fast, you make your defense better overall. i still prefer to rush the qb, vs cover the field. but i will do both on the same play sometimes. user sacks are just too much fun. its like shooting fish in a barrell.

If you use San Deigo, put Antonio Cromartie at FS. Leave Jammer and Cason at CB. Cromartie gets me 2-3 picks per game at FS. I try to force my opponent to throw at him by covering the rest of the field and leaving cromartie to play center field. his 97 speed is enough to lock down the entire center of the field.

28. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    get a 360. you wont regret it.

29. Jimi

Jimi Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    So who here plays online PS3? Im not great, but i figure im above par. Im down for a game if someone is.

30. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I play on ps3. PSN name is resnor. Shoot me a friend request.

31. Marino1384

Marino1384 Member

Dec 8, 2007

That's what i do too... I hate getting beat deep, Cromartie is a monster and Vincent Jackson is sick on offense.

32. Marino1384

Marino1384 Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Left stick is precision, Left trigger just makes it easier to rocket catch

They should worry about not having ******ed glitches like qbs walking down the field then getting the direct snap...I still don't get how they can just ignore that for the next 6 months until 2010 comes out..

33. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    check this out. its my new goalline leadblock passing attack. call any goalline play. then make everyone block. then choose a player that you want to manually control and give him any route you feel like. then spotlight that player and press LB to activate lead blocking. after the snap go get open. the qb will have no choice but to throw to you. you call for the ball with A. I've had mixed results. here's a link to a play that shows the potential of this method. keep in mind that im controlling tomlinson from the snap until he reaches the endzone. i think this method might be best suited for 2 point conversions.

[ame="http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/4472643"]EA SPORTS World - User controlled route running@@AMEPARAM@@http://videocdn.easw.easports.com/easportsworld/media2/madden09/5711689/832A0001_2_FLV_VIDEO_YSF.flv&link=http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/4472643&linkfromdisplay@@AMEPARAM@@2@@AMEPARAM@@madden09/5711689/832A0001_2_FLV_VIDEO_YSF@@AMEPARAM@@4472643[/ame]

34. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    left stick is lead passing. left trigger is precision.

with left stick, the player will keep running horizontally while the ball is in the air. with left trigger, he will stop where he is at and catch it. its not just for rocket catching. i use it to thread passes between zones on slants and drags. when i became aware of the power of precision passing, my offense doubled in power.

35. Marino1384

Marino1384 Member

Dec 8, 2007
    lmao that's great i'm gonna screw around with that unranked this weekend.

36. Marino1384

Marino1384 Member

Dec 8, 2007
    ohhh didn't know that, i thought u could just prescision by pressing up or down on the left stick. you can't hold left trigger and scramble though which sucks

37. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    The Madden 10 slogan has been announced, as well as a screen shot.

"Fight for Every Yard"

http://itsinthegame.ea.com/archive/2009/03/23/fight-for-every-yard.aspx

[​IMG]

notice the muscle definition, and the uniform detail. very nice. also, i see a ref. awesome. the sidelines look different too. i dont think there is gatorade in madden 09.

if their slogan is going to be 'fight for every yard', then they need to include a defense that can stop a drag route. otherwise its too damn easy to just have one WR drag left, and another drag right for an easy 4-5 yards, or more. i shouldnt have to user cover any route if i dont want to. i should be able to play the assignment of the player im controlling, instead of abandoning my spot to stop a ridiculously easy pass.

based on the changes theyve announced so far, im guessing that madden 10 is going to be the year of the unstoppable offense. players with insane speed are going to dominate. i just hope that they announce some defensive improvements as well. oh, and if they make the wildcat unstoppable, ill drive over to EA and slap each and every one of them.

Fin-Omenal and anlgp like this.
  38. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    The anorexic Ben Roethlisberger.

39. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    :lol:

That's what I was thinking. Luckily it's an early model but by the time August rolls around they'll probably just give up and use the player models from 09. Still through all my pessimism I hope they finally get it right I miss having a good pro football game to play.

40. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Better than kickers looking like LBs.

TheAnswer385 likes this.