1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manning not throwing like an nfl quarterback yet

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pumpdogs, Feb 8, 2012.

1. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    This. How many more Culpepper/Trent Green/Chad Penningtons do we need to see to understand we need a YOUNG franchise QB? I'm tired of these win now scenarios, we need to finally build for the long haul like the other elite teams do. We've been in "win now" mode since forever, when are we gonna start building for long term success?

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't see why you can't sign Manning and build. If you remember even though at first Peyton didn't want the Colts to draft Luck, he later said (as well as his dad) that he was sure he and Luck would get along just fine together. You can still draft a QB in the first unless Manning flat out refuses. In that case I wouldn't want him. With Manning this is already a playoff team with a chance at a Superbowl, you don't have to build to just win now.

3. Phinastic

Phinastic Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    I agree. If he can throw as hard a Chad Pennigton, then I'm fine with him.

4. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    This. I see Manning and Tannehill as the perfect package. Greenbay has pretty clearly shown the value of having and developing talent at the same time. Manning for 3 years with Ryan waiting in the wings. A first round contract isn't what it used to be. You would still have the cap room to address the DE need in FA, and have the rest of the draft to fill the other spots. This is all dependent on Mannings health of course, but if it looks like there is a shot, I say take it. I think Joe could have a pretty great offense that would protect Manning probable lesser arm strength with the skill players we have now. We may have the perfect coach for Manning if his arm turns out not to be what it used to be.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think you would have to be a pretty big dick to not go to a team at 36 years old, because they want to draft a QB..Were not talking about the intrusion of a #1 pick...That would be fu^5ed up on his part..Dude has a broken neck and throws like ty detmer right now, don't believe he is in any position to make those kind of demands..

6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    as much as I want to get excited about your Lucky tease, the player always brings me to my reality..

If Irsay can manipulate the cap then so be it, but no way is there any scenario where I can see an owner/gm letting go of Luck..He's too good..

7. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I feel like I am in the twilight zone here. People are downplaying the potential reward (let's go on the assumption he can play at an elite or near elite level) and overstating the reward of Flynn? Are you kidding me? The Dolphins are a potential SUPER BOWL contetendor the SECOND he steps on the field. You think Lebron coming to Miami was big news? Wait until the ENTIRE NFL and country vaults Miami back to elite status with constant coverage, Super Bowl predictions and drama as one of the greatest QB's of all time stands right next to the shadow of Marino to bring long suffering Dolphin fans true Super Bowl aspirations. Yet some of you are sitting here debating the value in picking up Flynn and hoping he develops in to an elite QB with an illustrious career in Miami? Do the names Scott Mitchell, AJ Feeley, Fiedler, Kolb and all the other prized 2nd stringers ring a bell?

The risk vs reward of bringing in Peyton Manning FAR, and I mean far outweighs the other scenarios mentioned. And I'm shocked that people are attempting to compare the two. Again, this assumes his health improves to the point where he can play at 90-95% of where he was before the injury

schmolioot likes this.
  8. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Do you guys really think were that close to being contenders? Just one QB away from SB material? I think even with Peyton were not all that great. Then once Peyton is gone we'll be like the Colts today realising how bad they really are. Marino was great like Manning but didn't have a complete TEAM around him. Even with Manning I'm not really sure we're contender material.

9. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Yes

10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If you put Manning on the Colts this year they still win their division. So yes, I think we could easily make the playoffs and contend. Also like I said before there is no reason you can't build while you have him as well.

11. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    But Manning also won only one Super Bowl(against an offensively challenged Bears in the rain nonetheless) with all the talent he's had around him. Sure, more than we've won lately but it is a cause for concern. Not that I blame him or I'm hating on him(I love Manning and always think of him as the modern day version of Marino), but I see how this team year in and year out catches a "fever" about a certain player or coach and it all blows up in our face. I can't predict the future but I just can't see us signing Manning at this point in his career as something that's going to work out for us. The only scenario I'd be ok with concerning him would be signing Manning, then drafting Tannehill with Moore as the #2. That would mitigate the risk somewhat. Though we'd still have to Manning-fy the offense and then if he can't play or gets hurt and is done then we'd have to start over again and re-do the offense to suit Moore/Tannehill/Whoever. It just doesn't seem to me worth the risk.

12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    He'd have to love somebody else. Like the rumors that Polian had RG3 and Luck even. With Polian no longer there, Irsay would have to feel the same. Then you might have to swing a three team deal that included the Rams.

13. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Just for fun FoxSports used their NFL computer simulation to see what would've happened in 2011 had Peyton played for the Cardinals/Redskins/dolphins and Jets.

Obviously, the simulation assumes that you are actually getting Peyton Manning and not some weak armed imposter, but the results were interesting

http://www.whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=2012NFL_PeytonManningWhatIf

The Fins finished 11-5 and averaged nearly 26 points per game.

14. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    In today's nfl yes, we are one elite qb away from competing for the SB. GB & ne ranked 32nd and 31st respectively in D this past season. ALso ne was 20th & GB was 27th in rushing. Man, have times changed. I hope you're proud of yourself goodell.

Fin D likes this.
  15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    They should have gotten gladsadmad to do those uniform swaps. The Dolphins one looks like a third grader did it on mspaint.Of course, they're probably Jets fans. They're overrating Keller.

16. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Yet the Giants proved that defense still wins championships. :D

17. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    The Giants proved that playing fundamentally sound football on both sides of the ball wins championships. And without Eli Manning bailing the team out week after week, with a putrid running game behind him, the Giants don't even sniff the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl..

Eop05 likes this.
  18. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't see that. You're acting like Peyton Manning is already on a team, and therefore should be loyal to that team, and then they draft a 1st round QB and suddenly he bails on them. That's not the case. We're talking about Peyton Manning the potential free agent. He's choosing the team he wants to play for. Peyton Manning wants to win a championship. He doesn't have much time. He'll go to a team that wants to win a championship sooner rather than later, and is leveraging their resources to that end. He'll be going to a team whose goals coincide with his own. He also wants a team that believes in HIM. A team that believes in him isn't going to draft a 1st round quarterback. They draft a 1st round quarterback specifically because they don't believe in him.

Why is that him being a jerk? You ascribe overly emotional insult where none is needed.

Was Drew Brees a jerk for not accepting Miami's contract offer which would have protected them if Brees' shoulder never healed? Miami did not rescind their interest in Drew. They just lowered their offer because they didn't believe in him. Drew chose the team that showed that they believed and had faith in him, and he rewarded that faith.

19. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Manning would have no problem if we drafted Ryan Tannehill and groomed him for 2-3 years as his career winds down.
    If Manning is playing at a high level his job will NEVER be at risk, especially if we are making deep playoff runs.

20. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Yup. Suddenly Fasano would look like an all Pro, Hartline would be the next Austin Collie and Bess would be a mini Welker...

Sprinkle in a little Beast mode and this offense would be downright scary.

Eop05 likes this.
  21. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    With all due respect A4E04, I couldn't disagree more with your first statement. I love my Dolphins as much as the next Dolfan, but there's no way we have a better team then NE less the QB. No way, no how.

22. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Bill Poulian of NFL Sirius is saying he has seen Manning throw and any reports that he has a "noodle arm" are BS.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    You just gave me a better way tolook at it in the club, but in this scenario you are assuming that were talking about a healthy ready to go Manning, and where he will be at draft time has to play a role in him taking what his prospective team will do with their #1 pick..

If he's not 100 percent by draft time do you still think he should have that type of perspective?

24. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I would say that outside of the QB position Miami has better talent than NE. I would give NE the advantage at TE and that's about it. I feel our receivers are better (they basically have one receiver), our RBs are much better. I think their OL is just as spotty, but that Brady covers up for their mistakes. I would also say that our best linemen are better than their best. On defense, I would say Miami is considerably better across the board. NE, for all of their draft choice accumulation has drafted poorly. They had something 18 UDFAs on that team. I think something like 8 of those were starters. They do a great job of using and maximizing their talent and that's a credit to their coaches, but I don't see their talent level outside of QB and TE and one WR as all that great.

25. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I completely disagree. If Manning is going to make one last run he is going to want his team to spend its resources on winning now. Manning doesn't benefit from going to a team that will use its best draft pick on a player who will never help him.

26. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    That's an assumption that I don't agree with.

27. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    There was also the issue that the Mannings and the Lucks are friends and they were reportedly trying to avoid competing against each other.

28. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I want the Jests to sign him, spend huge cap money and find out Peyton is finished & "leads" hem to a 4-12 record. The 4 wins should come against the Pats and Bills.

29. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    As much as I hate the Jets, I wouldn't wanna wish that on a true professional like Peyton Manning.