1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

manning will play for little to no guaranteed money

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyNeverInhaled, Feb 5, 2012.

1. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Check the bottom of the ESPN screen.
    This should put everyone worries to rest.

2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    This really just confirms my worries.

3. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    @AdamSchefter: Peyton Manning is willing to create a contract that would contain no guaranteed money up front

When you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose. Dolphins have nothing at QB, they need to give Peyton a shot and draft a QB as well just in case. You know Peyton will be hungry to go out there and prove all the haters wrong.

4. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Why?

5. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

"freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose" Michael Lombardi said today he expects Peyton to be released soon , the watch is on imo.

6. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    We don't have "nothing", and there's still a good argument that Flynn is a better option.

7. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    When the greatest QB of our generation is willing to sign for no guaranteed money, there is a reason. In this case the reason is he isn't healthy. If he were healthy he'd be getting a huge contract.

unluckyluciano and Trowa like this.
  8. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    Or he is confident is his ability to perform, so guaranteed or through incentives he knows he will be getting his money. Way I read into this instead of the negative is the fact that he is confident in his rehab, and isn't looking for just the money but to show he can still play. It also opens his options as far as teams.

9. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    If you were the dolphins would you contact the Colts and seek to trade like a fifth round for Peyton. This is better than Colts getting zero and it gives Miami all rights to Peyton and they can work out a new contract.

10. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Or manning understands that he is a risk and rather then go through the public humiliation of not being able to get a big money contract because of his shoulder and the fact that he would, right or wrong, be perceived as greedy by fans and media he figures that he has a chance to earn the incentives by proving he is healthy. That alone is a novel concept in today's society and modern athlete but in the salary cap era is it that far fetched? Is it that far fetched that he also could be looking for whatever team signs him to get Reggie Wayne (or another big ticket FA) as well and he realizes the importance of cap space? Manning is after all the smartest qb of this generation...

Guy has earned over 125m in career in salaries alone. Money is not the issue for him. I would bet anything he wants another ring and to cement his legacy as the best QB. He knows Brady is still going to get more accolades because he's got 3, possibly 4 rings.

RGF and djphinfan like this.
  11. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Maybe I am missing something here but if he is willing to get little to no money guaranteed why not restructure with the Colts? Has their relationship deteriorated that badly or is this just more "sources" talk? Something seems a little off.

Trowa likes this.
  12. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Okay fine we have a mediocre, good backup QB, aka all we've had since 1999. And Moore is the only QB on the roster (please people, don't bring up Devlin) anyway. Not trying to slight Moore by saying we have nothing, but unless there is a miracle we can't compete with the top teams with him as QB, still too many FG's. He's a backup.

Flynn could be a bigger risk since it's likely he falls into the Feeley, Kolb category. Manning's only question is health, not talent.

13. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Because he is washed up.

14. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    :dots:

Indianapolis Colts 2010 Att:450 Comp:679, Pct:66.3, Yards:4,700 TD:33, Int:17

Absolutely Horrid!!!, You have no idea he will heal or not, and have no way to back up that statement imo.

15. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    I'm really trying to not get too excited about this - because the day he would possibly be introduced at a press conference as our QB, I think I'd go on a five-day celebration binge. I have to stop getting ahead of myself, because this would really be something amazing!

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  16. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    If he can't throw the ball anymore doesn't that mean his talent is now in question?Just saying.

17. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    I think whats more important here is that if Philbin signs Peyton, then you know what he really thinks of Matt Flynn's ability......

18. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

If theres ANYTHING this organization has taught us all its DO NOT get ahead of ourselves. I`m guilty as charged as well.

19. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    I was thinking the same thing. Unless, Philbin is strongly over ruled by Ross` desire for a star QB.

ssmiami likes this.
  20. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    My main concern has never been the contract. My main concern has been that we miss out on other QBs hoping for a medical miracle. So this doesn't really alleviate my main concern.

Trowa, ssmiami and pumpdogs like this.
  21. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    There's a risk with every quarterback.

Dolphins1Beatles likes this.
  22. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I"ve been convinced from the beginning that Manning won't be able to play a full season effectively. The real question: do we truly believe Flynn is the next really good QB prospect, or is he the next Kolb. Philbin already knows the answer. So, if it's the former, you ignore P Manning. If Philbin knows Flynn is good, but not great then you take the chance on Manning. I'm coming around to this second option if Manning is truly willing to do the incentive based contract.

siciliansith likes this.
  23. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG]

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  24. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Bc Isray is a dick and they've already burned those bridges months ago, basically.

Indy is in rebuilding mode so it makes sense.

25. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    And if you can get Manning on an incentive-based deal then why not get Flynn too if Philbin is that sold on him?

Assuming you can get good value for Moore (personally I'd say around a 3rd and I'd be happy), then why not go with Manning and Flynn?

Fin D and jsizzle like this.
  26. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    Last time we were worried about a QB's shoulder health, Drew Brees slipped right through our fingers. We can't make that same mistake. Have to take the shot.

27. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    Stop talking.

28. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Serious question for the anti-manning crowd: is there any other player you think makes us instant contenders?

As great as Mario Williams, Vincent Jackson, John Abraham, Carl Nicks etc may all be, and they are some of the best at their positions Peyton Manning is the only player who could be available that instantly changes your chances.

To be clear, yes there is risk, severe risk, associated with him. If the contract is right though it is a risk we can't afford not to take. This franchise has been dormant for much of the last decade and the only thing that is going to bring us out of it is a solution at Qb. Matt Flynn is player you can build around. Peyton Manning is the biggest block in the building process. I'll settle for Flynn but if the doctors and Ross sign off on manning then I'm 100% on board. I don't see how anyone can't be.

29. jorser

jorser Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    I will go on record with the same sentiment. Well stated.

30. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Well that would be "having our cake and eating it too". Doubtful that would happen, if we got Manning the Redskins would probably throw more money at Flynn than us, and we'd go draft.

31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Some risks are higher than others. IMO we have a better chance of drafting the next Brady in the 6th round of this draft than we have of getting the Manning we recall playing for us this year. If you pass on other better risks while hoping against logic then that makes it a poor choice.

32. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Nope. Manning is done man.
    People fall in love with big names even when the career is over.
    I can see Peyton coming here and laying the proverbial egg.
    Then the fanbase whines and *****es that the organization is clueless.
    We've done this before bro.

33. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I would say that Flynn has a better chance of making us an instant contender than Manning does. Here is a post I made in the club in answer to a post where somebody said that as far we know Manning does not come back with diminished skills:

I think that's very unlikely. We don't know it for a fact of course, but the odds that he comes back with some loss of motor function are very high. Here is why I believe this. Back in the summer or early fall whenever the lockout ended, I started thinking about fantasy football and part of that is ordering the positions. Obviously Manning would be high on that list, but he had that injury. I called my brother, who is not really a football fan, but is an acute care nurse practitioner. He deals primarily with more critical injuries. I asked him if a person with nerve damage would come back 100%. He told me it depends on the severity. Obviously I didn't have specifics on the severity, but he told me you'll now pretty quick. If it's minor, he'll be playing in a couple of weeks. If he's not then it's most likely pretty severe. He explained that generally means the nerve has to regenerate, basically the cells have to grow and reconnect to the muscle tissue. The longer it takes probably the more severe it is. In basically every situation you have some percentage that never grow back. So if you had 100 nerve fibers connecting to an organ before an injury, you might have 50 afterwards. (Obviously we're talking millions, but he was simplifying things for me). You have to hope that the ones that do grow back connect to the right place. Even when they do connect to the right muscle tissue you're going have some of the fast twitch nerves connecting to slow twitch muscles and vice a versa. Those won't fire as well. In his experience, even if the nerve regenerates, the combination of the reduced number of nerves, reduced connections and reduced efficiency from some of those connections always results in some loss of motor function. By motor function he was referring to the strength and speed of the muscle contractions. He also mentioned that patients regularly complained that they couldn't control their muscles. Now this wasn't throwing a football. His examples were of people dropping a drinking glass. One ex-military guy we both knew had to switch to plastic b/c he would sometimes break the glass in his hand. Obviously he didn't know the extent of the injury to Manning, but he also told me that if this guy isn't playing in a couple of weeks then you can expect him to be out the whole year, b/c that means the nerve has to regenerate extensively. Now this was said before the season, but that was exactly what happened. And if they go back in for more surgery you often have to restart that clock. In Manning's case I figure the clock restarted in December. After that year expect at least some loss of function. He couldn't say how much, but said in cases of severe injury probably more than 99% of the time you have some loss of motor function. How much is impossible to say even for the doctors on the case. So IMO betting that Manning comes back like he was is a really poor bet. Betting he comes back before a year also seems like a really poor bet.

Hobiesailor and Ducken like this.
  34. electrolyte

electrolyte New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    IF Manning can play in the NFL again, we will finally win our 1st playoff game in over 11 years

35. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    Well lets see we have a possibility of flynn could be really good also big chance of one hit wonder, but lets see AJ Feely, well done that before so that's a no go according to your done that before logic and paying him the money he will get that's just as much of a risk. Granted will trust philbins choice if he goes after him.

Draft a QB, we can reach for Tannehill who is raw and will sit all year hmm, that will help. We can get wheeden in the second has a upside but once again may sit for a year or be nothing and his age factor. <sarcasm> Oh lets trade up.. ya that will happen im sure </sarcasm>...

As I said before you have nothing to back up your statement peyton is done. I won't say he will be back either, as the same its opinion no facts to support either side.

I will say Peyton has more upside potential for the risk than the rest of our options. Its not like Miami will sign him if hes not going to be ready to play. So I think if Miami signs him hes ready and if philbin who personally worked with flynn passes on flynn for peyton that should say something about flynn as well. Ya I would love to draft a young qb to run the team for years but the selection isn't really there this year. No money guaranteed so ya its such a worse option if he doesn't perform we don't lost much.

36. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    The thing is your either for Manning or for Flynn. Both have risks, but Manning's risk is health. If he is healthy, all the talent is there.

You can be for the draft, but they will not trade up for RG3, so you're reaching for Weeden or Tannehill. BUT, they can draft one of those and get Manning. With Flynn being younger you can throw money at him and still draft a QB...but that seems like a big waste. I'd rather have Tennehill/Weeden behind Manning for 2/3 years. Or if Manning doesn't have it left, then they can start.

But I really believe Manning has something left. He's a year older than Tom Brady...it's not like he's ancient. And Brett Favre was 40 in his NFC Championship game, a year after he limped off the field with the Jets against us. These are top athletes, they can recover. And in the modern NFL, QB's last longer.

37. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

Well,you might be right. But, if he still got it I want him to do it with the Dolphins.

38. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I am listening to you bro,everybody else seems to be blind to have a hall of fame name on the back of a dolphin jersey while ignoring the facts.

ssmiami likes this.
  39. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Yeah we have done this before. We passed on a qb everyone said was too injured. Then he goes and revives New Orleans.

Samsung Epic 4G via Tapatalk