1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mapmyrun.com

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by anlgp, Jun 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

for those looking to run there's a great site

http://www.mapmyrun.com

which allows you to plot out a route and it will tell you how far you will be going.

example. i mapped out a previous route i used to walk and i used to do 3 miles to and from quite frequently. i just mapped from here to the local community college and it is a 4 mile walk. the closer school than that is DE State and it is 3 miles.

now, i haven't walked to either of those places before. theoretically i have walked the distance to DE state. It wasn't bad really.. except for having to walk next to a major highway, which i managed to do without getting killed just fine.

there are bus routes around here.. something called the DART. Delaware Area Residential Transit. But they are either way early, way late or sometimes.. they don't come at all. Or they'll come and they'll just drive past you :confused2: . So they're unreliable whereas I can just get on my feet and go.

Point of this is.. I'm thinking of starting school. I can get rides (don't drive for various reasons) in december and the cold months but I'm thinking as long as it's nice out I would jog there or walk there or whatever. A three mile walk at my pace takes about an hour and a half. I walk slow. I can't quite jog that far without dying but I mapped a route around my house and if I jog it twice that's four miles. Or the smaller loop 4 times and that's four miles.

I figure I would be killing two birds with one stone - ie. going to school so I would build for a future and getting healthier at the same time. i would probably do noon classes or afternoon classes because i absolutely despise waking up in the morning and if i were to walk there i'd have to wake up an extra two hours early (i take a long time to get up).

yeah so.. i don't really know if this belongs in health and fitness but it's as much a jogging routine as it is a school thing / a should i do it thing. i guess it all depends on how many classes i plan on taking.

thoughts/advise? have any of you ever walked this far on a consistent basis? what can i expect, etc?

Tone_E and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  2. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    this is a great utility. it works off road and through the parks on my route too, not just on the streets. thanks.

anlgp likes this.
  3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I knew my block was big but I didnt know it was .36 miles each time around. I jog for 30 minutes, not sure how many times I get around but probably at least 10. Never knew I went that far.

anlgp likes this.
  4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Yeah I'll use it to map somewhere I want to go. I can walk two miles pretty easy so if it's anywhere around 2-4 I can do it no sweat. Unless it's hot. Then there'll be sweat.

5. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hey, thanks bro.

Trying to rehab my hammy, and was always wondering how many clicks my bike ride was.

9.1 Km. :up:

6. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    according to nike + ipod my route is about 4.5 miles.

according to mapmyrun.com my route is about 5.5 miles hahaha