1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marc Stein: Carmelo Anthony 4 way trade to New Jersey in works

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Desides, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The Knicks’ decade of irrelevance continues. From Marc Stein of ESPN:

So, Carmelo Anthony needs to ask himself how badly he wants to play with Amare Stoudemire, as opposed to how badly he wants to play basketball in the New York area in general. If he only cares about the latter, then this is the best way to do it.

Multi-team trades almost never go through, but this one has a real shot, IMO.

2. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    It gets worse for New York....

This deal would open up cap space and make the Nets a better suitor for Free Agents in 2011 and especially 2012.

The Nets have the right idea BTW...they need to CLEAR EVERYBODY and stick to Melo and Brook Lopez. Then add a FA in 2011...make the playoffs as a mid seed...round out the team in 2012, and then lose to Miami in the ECF's every year.

TiP54 and SICK like this.
  3. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    On the flip side...I used to get very weary of any deal that finds the mythical suitor for Kirelenko's terrible deal.

Now that he expires...he is the hottest commodity out there.

4. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Maybe the Nets petition to change conferences. That way they can lose in the NBA Finals.

Section126 likes this.
  5. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    ...and basketball dies in Denver.

I know you disagree, Sec - but I think with the financial situation a lot of teams are in already, killing off small-market teams to make super teams is going to come back and bite the NBA in the ***. It draws in casual fans but kills off the loyal fan base in small markets. The NBA is already propping up a few franchises and losing money for having to do so; this is just going to compound that problem.

It is much like the MLB - they may be techinically making more money than ever, but the long-term health of the sport is in jeopardy as you watch some small-market teams die out.

Realizing the NFL has a huge advantage (22 guys on field at a time, less individual impact) the fact that they make Indianapolis and Green Bay relevant helps that sport grow as fans everywhere support their teams.

Boik14 likes this.
  6. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida

The Nets are not doing anything wrong here.

THEIR assets are better.

The BETTER run franchises are the ones that are setting themselves up.

Look at what Detroit did.

The Pistons had a mini-dynasty in the EC...built by Joe Dumars....he cleared cap space and then spent it like an idiot on Ben Gordon and Charlie Villenueva.

This is about Brain Power.

The Nets evidently "get it."

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Championship.

8. Darrelle Revis

Darrelle Revis I BELIEVE!

Apr 21, 2010
    New York City
    lol

9. PhiNomina

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Oh I don't blame the Nets - and I certainly don't blame the Heat! I am just saying that players working FA behind the scenes and demanding they play in specific markets isn't going to help the long-term health of the league.

Not necessarily blaming ANYONE; just don't think it is good for the league.

10. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Tell that to the people who stopped caring about basketball after Michael Jordan retired for the second time.

Leagues with strong competition amongst a few teams prosper. Clashes of the titans cause ratings spikes and ticket sellouts for years on end.

11. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    personally i think the Nets would be giving up too much. Carmelo and Lopez is a helluva combination but losing your guard and next year's number 1 and derrick favors is too much for that. number 1 and favors ok. number one and harris ok. harris and favors ok. but all three is too much. nets wont be in brooklyn for two more years. they should have more patience. i like the nets more than the knicks so i would like to see carmello but it would be nice if he had a point guard to play with

12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    If you believe IncarceratedBob, Isiah and Dolan are burning up the phone lines trying to convince Carmelo to play out his last year in Denver, refuse any contract extension or trade, and come to the Knicks next year.

13. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    If that were true....it would be tampering and NBA bylaws say that the penalty for that is a Ban on Melo signing with NYC.

14. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    it is not giving up too much.

The deal would be better if the Nets gave up EVERYBODY on the roster except Brook Lopez for Melo.

The clearing the deck strategy has worked OVER and over again. First team to do it was the Lakers to get Shaq....championship. Then the Heat...Championship......then the Celtics...Championship....Now we have the Heat, Bulls and Knicks that employed that strategy....well...at least ONE of them will get a championship....:shifty:

MAKE ME, the general manager of the Nets...and I will build a monster by opening night 2012.

15. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    You won't win championships in the NBA without superstars, that is pretty much a proven fact and when you can get your hands on one you go for it without hesitation.

Plus getting Melo could open the door for the Nets to bring in Chris Paul, this is such a win-win for the Nets.

16. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    forgot about chris paul

17. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I don't know why anyone would want to play for the Knicks or Nets....unless they like to lose.

18. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Of course. But the motivation is apparently that the Knicks believe Carmelo is the centerpiece of a championship within the next 2-4 years. And David Stern treats the Knicks with kid gloves, so maybe they’ll get away with it, if true.

Personally, I think that even with Carmelo, they bow out in the ECF.

Section126 likes this.
  19. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    More from everyone’s favorite degenerate gambler/bookie Jets fan, IncarceratedBob.

Grain of salt, etc etc.

20. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Melo was at the media day for the Nuggets yesterday and now he says he never asked to be traded.....sounds like he may be staying in Denver?

21. PhiNomina

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Besides, Pat Riley patented that move so they would also have a hefty court battle on their hands...

KIDDING!

unluckyluciano likes this.
  22. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    If you believe IncarceratedBob, the Nuggets were prepared to trade Carmelo, JR Smith, and an unnamed player for Gallo, AR, Curry, and Douglas… but the Knicks turned it down.

Could be a power struggle between Walsh and Isiah.

23. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Isiah has no role in the Knicks organization. Dolan is not the GM, Walsh is. Walsh has not even made an offer for Melo based on what I know.

If its just Melo, amare, and Gallo vs your three hosses I dont give the Knicks much of a chance. If the Knicks get CP3 to complete the trifecta, then they have a very good chance in my opinion.
    Which is the best case scenario for NYK. That way they can sign him outright after the season ends.

24. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Isiah was brought in because he promised he could secure Carmelo.

25. Darrelle Revis

Apr 21, 2010
    New York City
    IncarceratedBob is the dumbest human on this earth.

26. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You hate only makes him stronger. :lol:

27. Darrelle Revis

Apr 21, 2010
    New York City

Come on, man. He's a jackass!

28. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    A jackass? Absolutely. The guy is every stereotype about Noo Yawk combined into one bursting-at-the-seams-with-ego package.

But that doesn’t mean he’s automatically wrong. Also doesn’t mean he’s automatically right. But I find it curious that this Nets trade was apparently ready to go down, suddenly the Knicks step in, and then the Knicks fall through.

A war between Isiah and Walsh is a very good explanation for that.

29. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Not sure if it's been discussed in this thread but the Sixers have as good a chance as anyone. They've already talked to the Nuggets a few times. Nuggets don't want Favors as much as they want Iguodala. Want him a lot according to SAS, who even though he's a douche, is a pretty reliable source. The 4 team trade is all but dead at this point. The Nuggets would have to take on 5 million in additional salary putting them over the luxury tax, not happening. Not too mention Nets don't want to give up too much and the Bobcats don't want to get rid of Augustine. He's not going to the Knicks, because they don't have the pieces, and aren't willing to get rid of the pieces the Nuggets do want. Bulls ain't happening.

So it's pretty much between the Nets and Sixers at this point. Only problem is Philly won't trade for Carmelo if he won't resign here. But if anyone can convince Carmelo to resign here it's Doug Collins. That being said, wouldn't be shocked one bit if we see a Carmelo to NJ, Favors to Philly, Iggy to Nuggets trade + fillers. Luckily for us Rod Thorn is just the guy to get a blockbuster deal done, as evident by his time with the Nets.

30. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Isiah has no position in the knicks organization. He is not on the payroll at all in any condition at this point. He cant be per Stern and the NCAA's ruling that you cant be in an nba organization in any capacity and be a college coach.

And before any of this other silliness starts up, hes not signing an extension in Philly or GSW or Houston. That means you can put an end to those pipe dreams. He's signing with the Knicks at the end of the season. I guess GM's around the league really learned nothing from watching Lebron, Amar'e and Bosh leave for virtually nothing but 2nd round picks and trade exceptions.

"Although the Nuggets have a strong interest in a trade with Philadelphia, the Sixers inability to get a long-term commitment out of Carmelo Anthony made it a "moot point," sources tell Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski.
    The Nuggets have reportedly coveted Andre Iguodala for some time and the Sixers have enough draft picks/extra young pieces to get a deal done. But the Sixers will not do a trade without knowing Anthony will be in Philly for years to come. That's not happening. If a deal is going down, it will likely be the four-way deal that lands Anthony in New Jersey."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuvvrYvJD_xbWufSx7q63xw5nYcB?slug=ys-anthonynuggets092710

31. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Isiah is involved with the Knicks again. I’m sure it feels like the Dolphins calling Wannstedt for draft advice, but the the Knicks have Isiah on speed dial because Isiah has Carmelo on speed dial.

32. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    No he really isnt. Like I said, Stern and the NCAA put a stop to that months ago.

33. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    My whole point was the Nuggets want Iguodala and we can use that to the get in a deal that sends Carmelo elsewhere, not Philly. He won't be a Knick. Nuggets won't let him walk for nothing and the chances of him being traded to the Knicks is slim to none. I still think he ends up a Net.

34. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    The nuggets don't get much say in the matter and I think this is where many people have a hard time seeing it. The time for them to deal Anthony was last year because in the final year the words " I won't sign an extension there" are the only thing that matters. This year melo has total control over where he goes and only a worthless team like gsw would make the deal without securing an extension.

Igoduala is a good player but his contract means he is not an asset but a liability in a potential melo deal. That still keeps Denver in the land of the luxury tax while making them worse.

Even if hypothetically the sixers or nets got melo which won't happen but if it did they still wouldnt be a top four team in the east. With Denver, melo can still be on a contending team in the west while he waits for the year to play out. Thats one reason he will stay put. The other is cause dream team two is going to happen in ny.