1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marino #25 on NFLN's top 100 of all time series.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sethdaddy8, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    A-Rod is the one talking about him. Not sure how I feel about that. Sorry if this is already posted. Thoughts about his ranking or spokes-person?

2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Seems a bit low offhand, but there are so many greats, and his lack of a ring really holds him back in these talks. He would have easily beat out Elway if he had one.

3. FinFan_Est.1984

FinFan_Est.1984 Get Aggressive!!!

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    Funny how a team win such as the Super Bowl is always brought up when Dan Marino is discussed. If we are talking about personal accomplishments or personal records, why do we need to bring up "the ring".

The QB position is the only one that this happens with and I think it's a bunch of B.S.

Dan Marino is the best pure pocket passer of all time. Like Rod Woodson said "If Dan marino would have played with the way the rules are today he would have passed for 100,000 yards" and I believe it.

He should have been in the top 10 and definitely above Brady, Elway, Manning and Favre.

4. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    welcome to last week.

5. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I simply can't abide such ranking nonsense. The shallowness of rating pundits who put so much on SB victories is ridiculous. Is Richard Dent a better DL than Deacon Jones or Merlin Olsen because Dent won a SB with perhaps the greatest overall defense in NFL history? Not even ...

And, Dan Marino really should not have been run over by Roger Craig time and again in the SB in 1984. After all, why didn't he stop Craig and Montana and co.?

The irony is, whenever Marino and Elway are compared, Marino was ever bit as clutch as Elway in their primes. The difference is, Marino didn't stink it up for three quarters causing his team to be behind and then have to rescue them out of trouble. When they did get in a close battle he was often great in the 4th quarter. Unfortunately, the Dolphins Defense was often so horrific that even when Marino would engineer a great fourth quarter come back, the defense would falter and give up a final score.

The principle negative memory of the Marino era for me is Marino leading the team back, getting a lead, then if the offense did get the ball back with a lead, Shula would try to run the ball two or three times, fail to get a first, punt, and the D would give up a game winning TD. If I saw that once I saw it a dozen times.

None of that is on Dan.

6. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    SPOILER TAGS DAMNIT! :tantrum:

So much for DVR.

7. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    No way in hell should marino be behind elway. None.

8. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Dan Marino is why I am a fan of this team. In my opinion the greatest QB to ever play in front of Elway, Montana, Favre and Brady.

frozenfin likes this.
  9. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    It doesn't surprise me at all that ARod's favorite player was Marino. ARod is all about numbers and Marino put up incredible numbers.

10. ilovemyfins4eva

ilovemyfins4eva New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    long island
    this list is a joke. basically they r going to have manning the 3rd best qb of all time at worst and a top 10 player of all time? wow, get real. id take marino any day over manning.

11. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think it's more than that. A-Rod grew up in Miami. He was actually on the campus of Miami, ready to play baseball, when the Mariners finally agreed to his signing bonus demands after drafting him. He's given a lot of money to that school and the city of Miami in general. They actually renamed the U Baseball field after him.

12. frozenfin

frozenfin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Dan Marino is the greatest football player of all time. Period.