1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mario Williams to be used at OLB by Texans

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by GISH, May 5, 2011.

1. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    http://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NFL/status/65975027224420352

I was wondering what they were going to do with him. They have been adding players to that front 7 left and right. I actually think they would be better suited to trade Mario than to attempt to convert him to an OLB. I'm sure he can do it. But he is a 43 end, and a very very good one. I'm sure they could get great compensation for him.

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Williams moving to OLB was a pretty foregone conclusion. 4-3 DE = 3-4 OLB. I don’t think it’ll be a perfect conversion, but he’s such a good pass rusher that it’s worth a shot. If nothing else, giving him a second position to play makes him more valuable in free agency next year.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    It really wasn't a foregone conclusion. They could've easily played him at end and just unleashed him as a five tech, which they were considering doing initially.

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I agree Gish, Mario is closer to the size of a 3-4 DE than a 3-4 OLB. Trade him to Cleveland who is going back to the 4-3 get one of those 1sts they robbed Atlanta for.

I like Houstons chances of making the playoffs this year, ecspecially with Wade taking over as the DC. Ill throw out 11-5 for the Texans.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    They better hope their corners learn how to play ball quick.

6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I was being flippant. I do think it’s a natural move to play Williams at OLB, though.

7. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Facing Manning twice a year you would think they would make it a priority. Maybe a destination for Nnamdi???

8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I dont see it as natural but it can work.

9. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Putting your best pass rusher in the best possible position to rush the passer is pretty natural. Williams may or may not be able to play the position at a high level, but from a basic perspective it is the logical move. I don’t think he would hit double digit sacks as a 5 tech.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think he could and I don't think its natural, no, because best position to rush the passer can vary. It's not so cut and dry, as you make it seem. If it was, me and you would be coaching in the NFL.

11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Im not arguing with the move but their is NOTHING natural at this point about a 290lb WOLB...Maybe this will be an innovative situation I dont know but their is more to it than just saying "Hey, ur my best passrusher..now go play OLB" Now im a big fan of Wade's skills as a coordinator so I trust he is making a smart move.

12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don’t see Williams racking up 15 sacks as a 3-4 5-tech. 3-4 WOLB, sure. I like his odds there, especially since he’s apparently just going to rush the passer and won’t be used in coverage all that often.

Agree to disagree, I guess?

Agreed. That’s why he’s losing weight. :up:

13. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO

14. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Yea Wade doesnt put his OLB's in vulnerable situations, thats one of the many fine qualities he has as a coach. Mario wont be asked to play in coverage very much (and he shouldnt) and I would love to see what a 275LB Mario Williams in his contract year would do! We could be looking at a new sack record!

Desides likes this.
  15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Why don't you think he could be a good pass rusher at end?

16. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    The big concern is his coverage ability, but as Casserly was pointing out, Dallas rarely used DeMarcus in coverage with Phillips in charge, and that will likely apply to Williams as well. They will just have him hitting the LoS mostly, setting the edge and moving on to the QB.

Bonus point being that if he indeed does fail at OLB they can then move him to DE and play Reed/Barwin at OLB. Cushing and Ryans will be the inside backers.

17. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Because I think he’s best utilized as a pure pass rusher, and a 3-4 end’s main job—at least, what I think their main job ideally should be—is to eat blockers to let the pass rusher through. And I don’t think that’s a crazy view, since it’s basically what the Texans are doing: JJ Watt will eat up blockers for Mario Williams. (Assuming they play on the same side, anyway. I haven’t heard what side Watt will play on.)

He can conceivably play 3-4 5-tech, but I don’t think it would maximize his skills.

18. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

I agree with this, but we can all differ to Wade Phillips in this situation.

Desides likes this.
  19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    No not always. That's why you have 1 gap v 2 gap.

Watt's being a strong side end and tackle for the Badgers.

20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I never said it was always true. I just answered your question, that’s all. :lol:

Right, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll play that same spot on the Texans. Safe assumption, though.

21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't see how you answered my question correctly though, since Wade's always been a 1 gap guy which is the opposite of what you described.

True, but I would be surprised to see them move him to the weak side considering he's a good run player. Typically, you'd have that on the strong side.

22. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I recognized that and made a distinction for it. But ultimately, Phillips moved Williams to 3-4 WOLB anyway. They may wind up signing a DE in free agency, but clearly Phillips wanted Williams at WOLB. So… I don’t know what we’re arguing about at this point, because the coach has weighed in. :lol:

Oh, absolutely agreed. I just haven’t seen anything reported about Watt’s position being confirmed. SDE sounds right for him, but I’m just saying I haven’t seen anything definitive about his Texans position yet.

23. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007

24. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Shouldnt you be celebrating Cinco De Mexico??

25. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    naw cinco de mayo is a white person holiday.

26. WhiteMike

WhiteMike New Member

May 6, 2011
    As a Die-Hard Texans fan, (Coming to Miami Sept. 18th for the game) I must first say that the biggest addition to our defense was not a player... YET.... It was Wade Phillips. Our former D.C Frank Bush was only in his 2nd year as D.C and he was very inexperienced. Steve Young called us out on M.N.F last year vs Colts and said this was the most vanilla defense I have ever seen.

To Frank Bush credit, our pro-bowlers, Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans, Brian Cushing only played 1.5 games together all season. before Demeco went out with torn Tendon. Mario had Hernia problems all yr. Cushing suspended, and Connor Barwin broke his ankle week 1. Our 4 best pass rushers didnt play together AT ALL last year.

Check out this article by the best guy who covers the Texans. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7552612.html

I think this is a great move... We now have 2 very good bookend DE's for the 3-4 Antonio Smith and JJ WATT. Moving Mario WOLB puts all of our best pass rushers on the field 1-3rd down at the same time.. Mario plays at 290 as a 4-3 De. but in offseaosn weighs 282. I'm sure he will trim down to 270-275 or so. Best part is, Wade Phillips now has a TON of options. Were always going to have Cushing and Demeco Ryans in the middle. Now we have Mario, Barwin, and our 2nd rd. draft pick Reed as OLB's.

In years past we never had depth in the front 7. Now we added 2 more pass rushers, have all of our guys back healthy, most importantly, this is Mario's CONTRACT year. He knows he can play a 4-3. If he showcases his talents and get 15+ sacks then now he will have 4-3 AND 3-4 teams coveting him. Best Part is, he said in the article that he is Excited, Eager, etc. You have to buy into the system and he has done just that!

As a Texans fan, I can't wait!!!!!!

Hopefully the lockout gets resolved and I'll see yall there Sept. 18th and were both 1-0 shootin for 2-0.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  27. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    They were uncertain about him at end or stand up rusher/blitzer (same thing really).

We're arguing because the coaches opinion isn't the end of it all. :)

Where else would they play him? Antonio Smith's always been a WDE, going back to his Arizona days as a base 3-4 end.

And yes, I did forget about this thread. :up: