1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mariota > Winston..

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by djphinfan, Apr 30, 2014.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Here's some notepad sack-to-fumble ratios:

Taylor Kelly: 14.20x (71 sacks, 5 fumbles)
    Rakeem Cato: 11.00x (77 sacks, 7 fumbles)
    Connor Halliday: 8.29x (58 sacks, 7 fumbles)
    Connor Cook: 5.67x (17 sacks, 3 fumbles)
    Bo Wallace: 4.91x (54 sacks, 11 fumbles)
    Brett Hundley: 4.60x (92 sacks, 20 fumbles)
    Jameis Winston: 4.50x (27 sacks, 6 fumbles)
    Cody Fajardo: 3.92x (51 sacks, 13 fumbles)
    Dak Prescott: 3.67x (11 sacks, 3 fumbles)
    Sean Mannion: 3.37x (64 sacks, 19 fumbles)
    Devin Gardner: 3.00x (51 sacks, 17 fumbles)
    Chuckie Keeton: 2.92x (38 sacks, 13 fumbles)
    Kevin Hogan: 2.89x (26 sacks, 9 fumbles)
    Bryce Petty: 2.57x (18 sacks, 7 fumbles)
    Marcus Mariota: 1.84x (35 sacks, 19 fumbles)

Now I know there has to be some question whether fumbles are tied to the number of sacks or the number of carries. I think it's the former, but the answer is somewhere between. Correlations are higher toward sacks than toward carries.

But here's the carries data:

Taylor Kelly 62.2x
    Dak Prescott 58.0x
    Cody Fajardo 36.5x
    Rakeem Cato 31.4x
    Bo Wallace 25.7x
    Connor Cook 24.7x
    Chuckie Keeton 20.0x
    Brett Hundley 16.8x
    Kevin Hogan 15.8x
    Bryce Petty 15.7x
    Jameis Winston 15.5x
    Devin Gardner 14.6x
    Connor Halliday 12.6x
    Marcus Mariota 10.9x
    Sean Mannion 4.7x

ssmiami likes this.
  2. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    That is expected. I just heard Ducks are a 2TD favorite.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Rinaldi is doing a piece on Marcus right now, he introduced the piece by saying if he wanted to come out after his Sophmore year he would of been taken in the first.

4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    So what, he's smart enough to finish early, he knows football is his craft, let him focus on his game.

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    There's nobody in the country that I would of taken in the last couple years over Marcus Mariota."

David pollack.

6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I watched the kid figure out a very good Michigan state defense, he started using his scrambling ability to threaten, and it worked, just a few crucial runs on third down opened the game for him and the others, his arm is so strong and so accurate..I watched this wide receiver screen that was from the far hash mark, and he put it on point right in front of the guys face, 30 yards, 8 feet off the ground, on a line..unbelievable throw..4.4 speed..lol..man what I would do with that ***...

If I was an O coordinator.

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I didn't see this post, my bad, I Thought you were taking a jab at him.

Yeah their both comin out, cool..

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Lol,I'm sorry, how was I suppose to interpret this..

That statement says to me you didn't think he would go first round in last years draft, and that you don't think he would go first round in this years draft?

Am I missing something?

9. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    If Mariota didn't have the running ability he did I'm not sure I'd see the appeal. It looked to me like most any QB with a bit of collegiate talent could look good in this offense (maybe not as good as Mariota, but still impressive). He was hitting guys with no one within 10+ yards of them.

I don't typically watch Oregon, so maybe he's looked better at other times, but I think I'd be very concerned with his transition to the NFL. Of course I think Andrew Luck is the only guy recently whose transition I wasn't at least a little concerned with.

ckparrothead likes this.
  10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Agreed on Luck...remember when folks were saying last year that he wasn't playing up to his draft status...lol

Would you take Wilson without the running ability, Kaepernik, newton (lol)???

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Lucks legs are incredible as well, it's what makes him the complete package.

I don't want just an arm so evaluating what the whole skillset can do to a defense in the right scheme is what it's all about.

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    How the hell does jimbo fisher get off scheduling the citadel at home..

I'm sure he's not to happy with the score of that game..that fanbase is spoiled rotten too..

13. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Do you watch much college football? First of all, we've played The Citadel few times over the years. Second, teams always play teams of similar quality the first couple weeks of the season.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Which is based on something he made up as he wrote it.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It's not rocket science, DJ. The post you quoted was from May 5th. The 2014 NFL Draft wasn't until May 8th. So which draft do you think I was referring to when I said "this" draft?

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I do, and it's a joke, your point only makes my point more valid..

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Taysom Hill has the potential to end up my highest rated quarterback prospect for the 2015 NFL Draft. I'm not kidding. He's that impressive.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    forget it bro, movin along.

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I've been looking for you to move along from this bug you've had up your butt about my being high on Marcus Mariota but not quite high enough for your tastes for like half a year. But you keep isolating posts (and misinterpreting them, as above) like you're trying to pick a fight at every turn.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Ck, I don't have any bug up my ***, I remember having a discussion with you, the discussion was this, I said last year if he came out after last season he would be taken high first round, you disagreed, now, your saying that you don't think he'll go in the first this year..I said, you would of been wrong both years..now I know theres no way to Prove it from last year..but damn are you reachin on this one.

"" Originally Posted by ckparrothead
    I don't even think he'd go 1st round in this year's draft.""

You saying this confirms that you said before (last year) that he wouldn't go in the first..and that You feel the same this year..

Now, what are you disagreeing with cause I'm honestly confused, you said he wouldn't be a first round pick last year,and now this year you said you think the same?

Please clarify..

Lol at trying to pick a fight, obviously I know what you said, if I'm interpreting it wrong than set the record strait?

:confused2:

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Heisman leader.

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    At this point, this has to be intentional. How do you keep not getting this even after I clearly explain it?

LOOK AT THE POSTING DATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God damn.

23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    This would actually make a pretty good Daily Show skit.

DJ: "So you said that you don't believe Marcus Mariota will go in the 1st round of the 2015 Draft. Why is that?"

CK: "I didn't say that. I said he he probably wouldn't have gone in the 1st round of the 2014 Draft."

DJ: "Ah but you said 'this' draft. The 2014 Draft already happened. Why would you say 'this' Draft to mean a draft that already happened?"

CK: "I wrote that on May 5th, 2014. The 2014 Draft wasn't until May 8th, 2014."

DJ: "Exactly"

CK: "... Yes?"

DJ: "So tell me again, why don't you believe Mariota will go in the 1st round of the 2015 Draft?"

CK: (inserts shotgun barrel in mouth, pulls trigger)

RoninFin4, dolfan32323 and Stitches like this.
  24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

:lol:

This is hilarious watching you guys. Through no fault of uour own CK.

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Winston keeps acting the fool off the field.

He got suspended for the first half of the Clemson game for getting on top of a table and yelling "F-ck her right in the *****!"

Which evidently is a popular college kid internet meme that I'm not aware of.

Of all the things he's gotten in trouble for, serving a suspension for this seems stupid. But I get that they're sending a message to him to stop being an idiot off the field.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Greg Bedard wrote quite the positive piece on Mariota.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/09/16/oregon-marcus-mariota-sports-illustrated-cover

Also should be noted Dane Brugler stated as a matter of fact that he's confirmed that Marcus Mariota and Arik Armstead will both declare for the 2015 NFL Draft. We knew that about Mariota anyway, despite some prior rumors. Once it came out what kinds of classes Marcus was taking this semester, any previous rumors about his staying in school should have been well and truly squashed.

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007

I'm sorry, your telling me there's a difference in these two statements below.

I don't see the difference.

Ok, I'm sorry, the way you phrased this statement It sounds like you meant he wouldn't go in the first in concurrent drafts..

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    And I remember you saying something about a third round? When was that?, in may?

I stated after last years season, a redshirt Sophomore, that if he came out in may he'd be a high first round draft pick..I stand by that statement.

So who at this point is gonna tell me that he's not going top 5 this year in 2015?

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think it would of been stupid not suspending him for a half for saying something so stupid and crude..thought he was a punk when everyone was on his jock, he hasn't proven me wrong.

30. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Seriously DJ, look at the posting dates.

ckparrothead likes this.
  31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007

How is that even possible? Have the 2014 and 2015 drafts suddenly merged into one draft that has already happened and has also yet to happen, as if time has ceased to exist?

I told you time and time again to look at the posting date. Over and over and over and over again I told you. It's not my fault you seem INTENSELY FOCUSED on being dense.

32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Am I taking crazy pills?

Or is DJ committed to one of the most brilliant trolling jobs of our generation?

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Lol, I'm not trollin , I'm just confused as hell as to how you can't understand why the statement
    doesn't imply that you thought it once and you thought it again, "you don't even think he would go in this years draft" implies you didn't think he would go first round in the previous draft..

I think your forgetting that I first talked about him in the hi first round was after his freshman year...that's when I first stated that if he came out I would take him first if I needed a Qb, y'all disagreed.somebody said they wouldn't take him in the third round or a team wouldn't take him til the third round, thought that was you no?

34. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    When CK said "this year's draft" he was implying the 2014 Draft because the post was written 3 days before the 2014 Draft...which is why he's been telling you to check the posting date.

ckparrothead likes this.
  35. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Have to say after watching Mariota I'd take Winston 10x over and I don't even like Winston as a prospect.

I literally see nothing Mariota does that tranlates.

36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not giving into this whole argument over what I said or when or whatever. It's clear to me that everyone reading the thread except one person can clearly see what I meant so I don't feel like I need to get into it anymore.

ANYWAY.

Mariota's having a nice year. I get a little worried that there's some Tannehill in him. A little robotic at times. I get worried he sees ghosts in the pocket, in terms of his handling pressure. I get REAL concerned that the guy almost never has to fit the ball into tight windows and struggles with accuracy at times. I get concerned that he's being created by his offense. All that said, he checks off the boxes physically, throws a nice ball, good footwork, and man is that boy fast. Checks off every box off the field, as well.

You just wonder sometimes if he's ever doing things that are really SPECIAL with his arm and overall play-making (aside from just his pure speed). I mean I watch a Rakeem Cato tape and three or four times a game at least he's going to make me go "WOW". Connor Cook does that as well. For all Johnny Manziel's flaws, he had that too. Jameis Winston does it.

I think when I talk about 3rd & 10+ and which guys have the ability to convert that with frequency, that really gets at the same thing. Over 2012 & 2013, Mariota was the second-worst at converting on 3rd & 10+ at 19.7%. This year, he's right on that mark at 1 out of 5. It really makes you wonder what happens when you put the guy in a different environment and that Oregon offense isn't making things so easy on him.

I don't hate the guy. Some people see an undeniable #1 overall talent, or I think as Greg Bedard recently put it the best dual-threat quarterback to ever come out of college or something like that...and I don't see that.

I don't think he'd have gone in the 1st round in 2014. Not with what he'd put on film in his freshman and sophomore years. If he'd gone through the draft process his overall handling of pressure in the pocket would have come under intense scrutiny and the fact that he can't take a sack without fumbling the football would have been cited often as a big concern. He's doing better this way in 2014 and I think that should help him get into the 1st round.

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Come to think of it that's actually a big concern on Taysom Hill as well. When push comes to shove can this guy be relied upon to make plays with his arm down the field, right when you NEED it? That's why I'm hoping Taysom stays in school.

38. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    All I know is CK clearly said Mariota would not have been taken #1 overall in the 1973 draft...how anyone can argue that is beyond me.

:escape:

ckparrothead likes this.
  39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I've watched a good amount in isolation but maybe I'm just excited about the dual threat aspect, I'm gonna watch every rep this offseason and rate him like any Qb, I will take into account about the tight window stuff that Ck mentioned, there just has to be a follow thru on these qbs that demonstrate their not just a pendulum but they can actually see the small window and finish their release and fingertips toward the target..maybe I'm overlooking that aspect..

40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The fumble and pressure issues with Mariota are showing up again tonight. Six sacks. Fumbled once officially on a sack, fumbled again on a run but it was called back on a hold so no play.

Also drew two delay of game penalties.