1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mark Schlereth jumps on the bandwagon too....predicts playoffs for Miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Alex13, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
  2. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    F***!!!

Just what we (don't) friggin need...

Da 'Fins likes this.
  3. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    What's more funny is that since Mark S said something good about the Dolphins, most fans will like him more. If he would have said something negative, most people would hate him...lol

Btw, I think we can make a run at the wildcard spot. Tough schedule ahead though.

TiP54 likes this.
  4. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I think he called it good the Ravens have lost 9 of their Super Bowl players Pats aren't going to just roll over and die and the Bengals might be a very good team. I personally think the Broncos might be the toughest AFC team to beat this year, and the Texans will be right there.

But don't post a positive thread on the Dolphins stay negative and the thread will get more hits.

5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Not a believer in the Bengals. Dalton will keep deteriorating IMO. he already had good weapons last season and didn't impress.
    Funny thing, I was just thinking tonight that our new offense reminds me of how the Bengals played during Dalton's rookie season, when they had weapons similar to ours (what we have on paper anyway) and they made the playoffs.

6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I don't think there is an in between this year. It's drastically disappoint (like 5-11) or win the division (10-6).

Personally, I believe we win the division.

Though you look at free-agent teams like the Blue Jays, who were supposed to dominate the AL East on paper, and they are not meeting expectations.

7. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    It is nice to hear positive things about the Dolphins, been a long time.

MikeHoncho and xphinfanx like this.
  8. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Positive pub doesn't mean a damn thing honestly.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    How is their not an in between BK, why this playoff or bust mentality, I don't get it..there are ways where this team can wind up where the arrow is pointing upward without making the playoffs..The term Playoffs or bust is not something usually associated with a 2nd hear coach and Qb.

10. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    ESPN Producer is a Phin Fan?

11. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    must be a new one..the hate over there was endless...i guess berman is not amused

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  12. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I am Mark Schlereth's aloof machismo...

maynard likes this.
  13. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    I caught that also and have to say I was surprised.

Jt0323 likes this.
  14. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Very true, but it is nice to hear about the Dolphins thru the media again.

djphinfan likes this.
  15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Actually, of all the former players turned analysts, I think he's the one I'd love to sit down and have a few beers with... I don't always agree with him, but his analysis is usually fairly solid...

HULKFish, DOLPHAN1, Da 'Fins and 4 others like this.
  16. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I don't know about the playoffs or bust thing, but I look to see this team improve greatly this year. If Tanny has that breakout year, it could be the start of something special...

On the other hand, the first 6 games will tell the story... IMO, we have to bust out fast and surprise some against the Dolts, Ravets, and even the pasties to start the year out...

17. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Very true, I don't think he takes teams personally and he doesn't show his ego like a few do.

Larryfinfan and MrClean like this.
  18. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Travis, are you stocking Mark S?

19. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i don´t agree about the running back position, i take ours everyday and twice on sundays, green-ellis is an average back, nothing fancy tere, we will see about the rookie bernard, i also wouldn´t trade any dline in the league for ours, even if they have geno atkins

20. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    All you need to know about Andy Dalton:

17-4 against non-playoff teams
    1-11 against playoff teams

The back 7 of their defense is nowhere near consistent enough to make a playoff run. They've lived off weak schedules.

I think Maualuga was PFF's worst rated MLB last year. Spends too much time partying and he's been injured quite a bit. Harrison was a sneaky good signing though.

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That's a good thread idea, who is the best, can you include Dion? Lol.

22. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    Simpley picked the Bengals because.

Ravens= Down graded this offseason, every team will play them like it's the Super Bowl.
    Steelers= Not what they use to be. Cowhers time away shows more and more every season.
    Browns= Just a big question mark.
    Bengals= Young loaded with talent, and I think they will be hungry.

They seem to be the team in that div ready to step up.

23. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I could put something together later tonight. I've seen enough Bengals to be objective.

djphinfan likes this.
  24. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Burfict is being consistently overrated now. Yeesh.

25. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I've always liked Stink as an analyst.

steveincolorado and Larryfinfan like this.
  26. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Maybe but its good to read that other ppl are on the radar with the direction we are going. We've been invisible for too long.

steveincolorado likes this.
  27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Terrace Newman being 35 years old when the season starts isn't a concern?

28. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Sorry I'm late on this. Taking it unit by unit Bengals vs. Dolphins

QB - I'd call this a draw for now. Dalton's posted better numbers and taken the Bengals to back-to-back playoff berths his first two seasons. I believe he's behind Marino and Peyton Manning in most TDs in the first 2 seasons of a career as well, so not bad company. That said, I don't think his ceiling is much higher than what he's played. Miami has better depth as Cincinnati's backups include Josh Johnson, John Skelton, and Zac Robinson. Matt Moore alone trumps that trio.

RB - I'll give this to the Bengals, but it's a little bit by default. BenJarvus Green-Ellis is more accomplished than anyone Miami has. Bernard Scott has played well when he's been healthy. Giovani Bernard gives them something interesting to throw in the mix. Cedric Peerman has been a special teams maven and I think could take over for the Law Firm eventually as the bigger back. Miami's got more potential with Lamar Miller, but that's all it is for now. Daniel Thomas, Jonas Gray, and Marcus Thigpen...Cincinnati's got the advantage here.

WR - I've got to give this to the Bengals as well, but not by much. A.J. Green is one of the top 3-5 receivers in the league. He burned Richard Sherman pretty good as a rookie (in fact, I think Cincinnati might be the last team to win at Seattle unless SF got them later in the year in 2011). Mohamed Sanu is damn good, but he's battled injuries. Andrew Hawkins is sneaky good and until proven otherwise, is a better slot player than Brandon Gibson is. They have some nice depth as well with Marvin Jones, Ryan Whalen, and Brandon Tate. I'm not sure if Rishard Matthews, Armon Binns, and Jeff Fuller stack up, especially considering Miami got Binns after the Bengals cut him.

TE - Tie. This is probably surprising to some. Jermaine Gresham has been a disappointment. I know he's been to the Pro Bowl, but I'd argue Dustin Keller will be more productive this year than Gresham. Charles Clay gets the nod over Orson Charles, who was recently moved to FB full-time. The rest of both teams are unproven as yet with Miami having Dion Sims and Michael Egnew and the Bengals having Tyler Eifert and Colin Cochart (if he's still on their roster). Eifert's potential adds something to the Bengals, otherwise I'd have given this to Miami.

OL - Bengals. Miami's Mike Pouncey is easily the best lineman on either team, but Cincinnati's tackle tandem of Andre Smith and Andrew Whitworth are vastly underrated. Clint Boling and Kevin Zeitler are up and comers at G and they have veteran Travelle Wharton coming back from IR to serve as dept. Miami can't match up with that. Their tackle depth is also better with Anthony Collins. Kyle Cook is no slouch, and for whatever reason, has played his best against Haloti Ngata throughout his career. Cincinnati keeps drafting guys to take over the reins from him, and he keeps on trucking.

DL - Bengals. This will get me flamed, but it's true. Cameron Wake and Geno Atkins are about equally good. Cincinnati's also gotten a lot of production from Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap and Domata Peko, while not quite as good as Paul Soliai, plays more snaps and is consistent. Cincinnati's depth, consisting of Wallace Gilberry, Jamaal Anderson, Devon Still, and Brandon Thompson are better than Olivier Vernon, Kheeston Randall, and Derrick Shelby.

LB - Dolphins. Miami wins this one for me. Rey Maualuga is overrated by most fans outside of Cincinnati. He's probably been hated on more by Bengals fans than Ted Ginn was by Dolphins fans, no lie. Vontaze Burfict is switching to the weakside this year, so that bears watching. I don't think either of them are as good as Ellerbe or Wheeler are. The wild-card for Cincinnati is James Harrison. He's playing the strongside, but in Cincinnati's scheme, he'll be on the defenses left, opposite of what he played for so many years with the Steelers. I think Miami's got more depth potential than the Bengals who have Emmanuel Lemur, Dontay Moch, and Vincent Rey with their depth guys while Miami has Dion Jordan, Josh Kaddu, Austin Spitler, and Jelani Jenkins.

CB - Tie. Leon Hall's the best overall player on either side, but Brent Grimes is close. I think Miami's got a lot of potential with Jamar Taylor. Richard Marshall, Nolan Carroll, and R.J. Stanford all started games last year or saw extended playing time. Cincinnati's got to rely on Terrance Newman again this year, as they still don't know what they have in Dre Kirkpatrick. Adam Jones was arrested recently, but I think the charges will be dropped (there's video evidence of a woman smashing a bottle in his face).

S - Dolphins. Reggie Nelson has been consistent since arriving in Cincinnati, but he's not made the amount of game-changing plays he did in 2010. They've been a mess with the other spot having played Chris Crocker, Taylor Mays, Nate Clements, and haven't gotten anything out of draftees George Iloka and Robert Sands. Georgia's Shawn Williams will be given every chance to start there. Simply put, Jones and Clemons are better overall.

All things considered, the teams are about even. As we saw last year, their records were about the same, but Miami was able to beat Cincinnati. I think Miami's got a better QB long-term in Ryan Tannehill. The Bengals have done a good job of beating bad teams; they've done this more consistently than Miami has (see Dolphins losses last year to Titans and Bills), but they've choked in a lot of big games. Cincinnati's got a lot of good young talent, but they could start losing some of it next year. Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, and Michael Johnson are all free agents next year. They've also got to start working on locking up A.J. Green (potentially Dalton too if he plays well this year).

The Bengals are back on Hard Knocks this year, and they don't have a lot of questions about personnel this year. It's mostly about them taking the next step. Can Andy Dalton get them over the hump? It's not so secretive that the Bengals could be looking at drafting a QB again in 2014 if Dalton can't improve his play this season. He's made a living off of getting the ball deep to A.J. Green. However, when teams are able to take him away, he's struggled. Look at their wins last year: Cleveland, Jacksonville, Washington (his one playoff team victory I counted earlier), Kansas City, Oakland, Philadelphia, San Diego, Pittsburgh (thanks to a pick-6), and Baltimore (Ravens pulled their starters after the 1st quarter, Bengals pulled their's at half, I believe the game was tied), and the Giants (New York laid a total egg in this game). Even the Bengals losses don't really reveal consistency. Baltimore absolutely throttled them 44-13. Miami, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Denver, and Dallas were their other losses.

I'd love to have some of the individual players the Bengals have on their roster come play for Miami. Geno Atkins, a free agent next year? Yes please! A.J. Green? Yes please! I'd take either Dunlap or Johnson over Jared Odrick and Olivier Vernon. Kevin Zeitler over John Jerry, sure, you bet. But, I'll take Ryan Tannehill over Andy Dalton every day and twice on Sunday, and I think that's ultimately what will separate these teams. Cincinnati has the AFC North for the taking, but I'd bet dollars to donuts, in typical Bengals fashion, they'll bungle it away to Baltimore or Pittsburgh. I think both squads will be in a fight for a wild-card spot in 2013. That Halloween matchup in Miami should be fun.

DOLPHAN1, MrClean, Oboy and 4 others like this.
  29. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I think 10-6 will be about right (perhaps 9-7) if the OL holds up to its end of the bargain. But, I don't think it's a 10-6 win the division scenario. I think it's 9-7/10-6 and eek into the playoffs. Ryan will be improved but he has to prove it on the field first. Certainly has the talent.

30. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If I had to guess the Bengals defense 2-deep depth chart for 2013, I think it'll look like this. Keep in mind, it's very similar to ours, however they use Michael Johnson as their main rush player on the right side where as Miami uses Wake on the left.

RDE - Michael Johnson, Wallace Gilberry
    DT - Geno Atkins, Devon Still
    NT - Domata Peko, Brandon Thompson
    LDE - Carlos Dunlap, Margus Hunt
    WLB - Vontaze Burfict, Sean Porter
    MLB - Rey Maualuga, Vincent Rey
    SLB - James Harrison, Emmanuel Lamur
    RCB - Leon Hall, Adam Jones (nickel)
    LCB - Dre Kirkpatrick, Terrance Newman
    FS - Reggie Nelson, George Iloka
    SS - Shawn Williams, Taylor Mays

They've got a number of depth guys fighting for spots, and some are familiar names: Aaron Maybin, Jeromey Miles, Dontay Moch, Jamaal Anderson, Brandon Ghee, Shaun Prater. I'd also keep an eye on their fullback battle. They have John Conner, formerly of the Jets who is also a local kid from Cincinnati, and Chris Pressley who played really well until getting injured last year. Either of them strike me as better blockers than Jorvorskie Lane.

31. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Ohhh Nelly!! Time to circle the wagons!!

32. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Shocking, and can't believe he said it.