1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marlins, Tigers Blockbuster Done!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by NJFINSFAN1, Dec 4, 2007.

1. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
  2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Being a Marlin fan, I would rather trade with the Angels. More players out of the deal.

3. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I would like the Mets to swoop in and take Willis.

4. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm sure a Mets' fan would love to have Dontrelle Willis for they can stop playing against him in Shea Stadium. What's the record now Dontrelle vs Mets in Shea? Heh.

5. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Sheesh, my A's are looking to deal Danny Haren AND Joe Blanton. It reminds me of a few years ago when people thought Billy Beane was crazy to deal Mulder and Hudson in the same off season. He made out like a bandit after those deals.

If he gets what the Yankees are floating out there for Haren (Phillip Hughes and Melky Cabrera will be in the discussion) and gets a young pitcher and a few prospects for Blanton it will line up as a rebuilding year this year with the A's making a run in 2009.

The Angels have all but won the AL West already so Beane might as well start reloading for 2009.

6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I would like for the Mets to return to their 1967 form. I'd also like the Yankees to flop, and for Boston sports to go take a hike.

Can't all get what we want.

7. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I'll take that...accept for my Bruins...LOL!

8. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Just want the disgraceful franchise called the Marlins out of town.

9. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Disgraceful franchise? Who do you root for? Have they won 2 championships in the past 10 years? Pffft.

Trophy > No Trophy. You must be a Cubs fan still bitter about 2003.

Marlins have had more success than the Dolphins had. They deserve to be in Miami. Dolphin Stadium location is not a baseball site. Anyone who lives here in South Florida should know this.

If the Marlins get the Orange Bowl site, they will be filling up seats like crazy. That is a much closer site to airports (which could attract more tourists), businesses, and the hispanic people. There's also a bunch of neighborhoods around that area too.

Dolphin Stadium is in the middle of effing no where, but I wouldn't mind the drive for a football game [8 games a week]. I do mind putting 50-60 miles on my car per game to watch a Marlins game since I live all the way in Miller and 152nd avenue [Kendall area].

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  10. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You were on a roll until you said this. Dolphin Stadium is perfectly sited. It's situated near a whole host of residential areas, with even more within 15 minutes. I live in Pembroke Pines, and I'm 13 miles away from the stadium.

The real problem is South Florida's traffic and crappy road planning. It takes over 30 minutes to get to the stadium from my house: I can't imagine the hell someone in Homestead goes through to get there.

11. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    The Marlins and Tigers have made the first blockbuster splash of the Winter Meetings.

Florida and Detroit have reached a preliminary agreement that will send star third baseman Miguel Cabrera and left-hander Dontrelle Willis to the Tigers for a package of young players headlined by outfielder Cameron Maybin and left-hander Andrew Miller, according to major-league sources.
    Detroit will also send four prospects to the Marlins as part of the deal. Catcher Mike Rabelo and Class AAA right-hander Dallas Trahern were mentioned as possible players Tuesday morning, according to sources.

The deal immediately raises questions about the future of current Tigers third baseman Brandon Inge. Inge is set to make $6.3 million this season, $6.3 million in 2009 and $6.6 million in 2010. The acquisition of Cabrera and Willis will add close to $20 million to the Tigers' payroll.

The Tigers already feature two veteran left-handed starters, Kenny Rogers and Nate Robertson, which made Miller available in a deal for Willis.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7525396?FSO2&ATT=MA

Tigers will be tough this year!

12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Damnit. I wanted the Angels trade. More/better players. I guess the presence of Jim Leyland made that trade happen. Also, no Gary Sheffield? I'd like to see him back in a Marlins uniform to finish out his career. We could use his hitting now that Cabrera is heading off.

I'll miss D-Train. At least I got to see him pitch twice in person this year.

13. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I'll miss Pudge 2.0

14. djfresh47

djfresh47 New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Willis is going to be a #5 in the AL. Miggy is great but if he doesn't get himself in shape he's going to kill his career. Andrew Miller's got nasty stuff and from what i've read on Rayblin is that he's a stud OF prospect. I was going to burn my White Sox gear if they woud've given up Gonzalez, Danks, Floyd, and Fields for Cabrera.

I was talking with Yankees and Red Sox fans and the Twins are taking an inferior package from the Red Sox, Imo. I'd insist on Bucholz ahead of Lester.

15. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Perfectly sited for Dolphin games, not Marlins' games. Perfectly sited for you, because you only live 13 miles away.

You don't understand how much a difference a downtown site would make to any sports organization. Downtown Miami is basically the heart os South Florida.

It is safe to say that 90% of Marlins' fans in South Florida are hispanics. And the hispanics with money are not in Hialeah, they're in West Kendall or Downtown areas. Where I live is crowded with Marlins' fans that have to settle for the Ale House in Doral or Kendall.

A ton of business sites around the Orange Bowl, and the airport as well, which would attract tourists to come by and watch a baseball game. Residential does you little, businesses brings you money.

Even the Hurricanes sell pretty good in the Orange Bowl site, despite how terrible they have been since Brock Berlin started playing here.

16. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I bet Willis is pissed he won't get to hit anymore!

17. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    No more home runs in Shea Stadium for Willis. D:

18. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Thank goodness!:thumbup: