1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marshall over Davis??

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
  2. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    That's impossible.
    Vontae Davis is one-half of the best CB tandem in the NFL.:shifty:

3. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Well I don't know the percentage exactly, but Nickel CBs are on the field for a lot of snaps. My guess would be over 50% in today's league.

At the very worst we have a great nickel CB

4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Marshall isn't exactly chopped liver. So it ain't like VD is getting pushed by some journeyman. No matter which one starts they'll both get plenty of snaps this season. Barring injury, I'd predict both will be top 11 for defensive snaps this season, as will Sean Smith for that matter.
    Some observers of the Cards season considered Marshall the defensive MVP. He allowed a lower comp pct last season than either Davis or Smith. He allowed a lower passer rating into his coverage than either. He allowed less TD passes than either.

5. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Not so sure he is going to be "great" anywhere anymore...every year I feel like he is about to play at a Pro Bowl level and I have been wrong. I think at this point a servicable starter is about the best we can expect.

6. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    What report is this?

7. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I guess we'll see. I still think he's an above average player. I'd even call him a good CB in the NFL.

I still have hopes that he'll continue to grow

8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Saw the link on Facebook via my phone, not saavy enough to attach it.

9. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    That was one of the knocks on Davis coming out .Inconsistency and taking plays off.He plays as well as he is motivated to play.Perhaps competition will do that for him.

ToddPhin likes this.
  10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think it's a good idea.

11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Link added to 1st post.

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  12. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Thanks.

Good news is Smith seems to becoming into his own.

13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Wow, I'm surprised..can there be a case made that their thinking about moving Vontae around a bit more, from the inside covering the slot while Marshall covers The boundary, so VD can be more of a playmaker, blitzer on third down?

ToddPhin likes this.
  14. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Im assuming Marshall will be in the slot when we run Nickel etc., he is a great tackler and better at the LOS than anyone on our roster I assume. VD could be right in his qoute about guys just "getting work" but didnt sound like Davis got much of an endorsment from Philbin.

May be a situation where Davis only plays on passing downs, and when we line up in a base D Marshall assumes the CB spot. Interesting.

15. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's what I was thinking too, and it's not like we intentionally spent $16.0M on Marshall to be a backup. He was brought in b/c he can play (like MrClean stated). Perhaps spending a little more time off the field will allow him to increase his efficiency when he's on it. ??
    I've always thought his best role might be nickel corner where the increased action might stimulate him better mentally.

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Why would you take one the most dangerous corner in the league against the run off the field though..Im not buying this, I think it's because Vointae has the quickness to cover the slot, and if you keep him outside all the time, your not using his whole skillset, from the middle of the field, VD can make more plays, blitz more..He'll be the starter imo, or maybe Marshall is a true pro, and they see that VD has some room to grow in that dept, and want to let him watch what it's like for a bit.

Eop05 and Bpk like this.
  17. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    A serviceable starter? Come on man. VD is much better than just serviceable. With the exception of the beginning of last year he's been pretty damn good. And not to make excuses, but his bad start last year is a direct result of the lockout.

18. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I wouldn't be too worried about it based on the article, just my opinion. I think they need to give everyone a look, but I'd expect that Vontae Davis would be starting opposite Sean Smith come week 1, barring an injury.

I couldn't really speak to it having not attended many Bengals training camps the past few years, but when the Bengals have been hit with injuries, their backups have usually played solidly. I wonder if this might be something he's done in the past just to get guys ready.

djphinfan likes this.
  19. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    didn't know that marshall was that good at stopping the run at his position, but i still dont buy it, i think when marshall starts the 3rd preseason game davis can start to "worry"

20. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

IF Marshall starts at CB over Vontae it's a good 'prblem' to have, because it means Marshall is looking good. That lets us move Vontae to slot, as DJ mentioned,. Vontae's skillset, imo, suits the slot best as he has incredible change of direction, closing speed, planting his foot and driving forwards in the short area between the time the QB winds up and the ball arrives. Perfect for slot. Plus more hitting!

The questions is, if an opposing offense only goes 2WR most of the game, do we let that keep Vontae off the field? I guess, again, it depends on if Marshall's playing great football.

21. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Wow, how far as Davis as fallen.

22. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Any chance VD could move to safety?Seems like we need to get better there.

23. Bpk

On another note, just watching Reshad Jones on the Finsiders and you can sort of see where he's not a super strong mental-side-of-the-game guy compared to a couple other dudes. I think it's going to be critical that whoever mans the other safety spot be able to co-ordinate that secondary, because it really shouldn't be Reshad.

And here's the problem with that... it means there's a higher chance of starting Clemons, even if Jimmy Wilson proves to be a bigger playmaker. Jimmy wilson is just too green, I think, to be ready to take on making the secondary calls in his second year, and only his first year in this defense. So it's either Clemons or Marshall.

In fact, if they wanted to play Jimmy Wilson and Reshad as the starting Safeties, it could mean that they need an experienced guy like Marshall out there to help make the calls... which could explain him bumping Vontae to slot. Though I don;t think it's normal for a starting CB to try to make secondary calls, since he is too far from the other CB on the other side of the field.

A LOT of moving parts here folks, and some of it begins with having a Strong Safety who can;t be the general of the secondary, imo.

See what I mean at 2:25 when Sam totally loses him with his question. To be fair, it's not the clearest question (since he doesn't actually ASK one at the end) but Rashad can;t even figure out what he's talking about enough to comment on it. He's just lost and asks Sam to repeat it.
    [video]http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/videos/Reshad-Jones-Joins-The-Finsiders/b4f9d57c-72fb-4148-9454-9a8f7df23a04[/video]

Also interesting that the Finsisders are really focusing a lot of this interview on the mental aspects of his position... but he DOES say that he feels he learned this defense FAST so maybe I'm wrong.

24. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Yeah but the way Madison speaks on this show you can never really understand what the hell he trying to say half the time, so I

wouldn't really fault Jones here. Even though he might not be the smartest guy on the field, I think this is the year he can stop

thinking so much out there and just let his instincts take over and start making more big plays.

smahtaz likes this.
  25. MrClean

I need to watch it still, but just saying there has been times before when Sam asked a question and I had no clue what he was talking about and it appeared from the facial expressions of Drayton and Sims that they had no idea either. :lol:

Nappy Roots and Bpk like this.
  26. Bpk

Yeah, some of that is what happened here too, so maybe I'm pre-judging Rashad by his reputation a bit. Still, he doesn;t immediately scream, "Make me the quarterback of the defense" at you when you experience him talking and thinking. I'd be more comfortable with, well, Culver is probably the guy mentally I'd like back there next to Reshad, physically I'd like Clemons, and heart and attitude-wise I want Jimmy Wilson.

27. MrClean

Of the four top safeties, Jones is my least favorite, based on what we saw last season. I'm in definite show-me mode when it comes to him. I'd rather pair Clemons and Wilson as the starters personally.

28. Bpk

Not sure Clemons and Wilson provides enough physical punch against guys like Gronkowski, other tight ends and in runs support. Wilson is like 190, if that. Plays way bigger, but still... physics is physics.

29. MrClean

IMO, both Clemons and Wilson tackle just fine and most of all I think they'll be where you want them to be more likely on any given play.
    If it was all about physics is physics we'd start Tyrell Johnson.

30. Bpk

I just don't know a) How a guy like Wilson holds up for 17 weeks, giving up 10-40 pounds on every collision. b) If he doesn't become a big liability on the goalline compared to Rashad.

31. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Can't remember where, so I don't have a link, but I remember reading that Miami had asked Jimmy Wilson to bulk up a bit to handle playing safety, and that he was around the 205lbs mark now.

I still think that in Coyle's defense, Reshad Jones is in line to have a better year than he did last year, and I think until proven otherwise, I'd go with Jones and Clemons as the starters. Wilson, on the other hand, I think probably has a better track on one of those nickel/dime role players who can use his athleticism in coverage. So while he may not be a "starter", I think he could be a guy that comes in and allows Jones to play that Yeremiah Bell role in-the-box in passing situations, while he and Clemons are the traditional safeties.

32. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I knew Marshall was going to take a starting spot when we signed him. I just thought it was Smith.

33. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

The good news is that Marshall, Davis, Smith, Jones, Clemons and Wilson have the physical makeup to be the strongest unit we have seen here in quite some time.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  34. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Palm Beach Post, ESPN, NFLnet. Take your pick. They are all reporting it.

35. MrClean

Like my buddy the other Coyle tells me, the #1 adage in football, is simply "low man wins". Davis is smaller than Smith so the latter should be a better run defender right? He ain't though and why is that? You ever often see Davis try to take on a runner who outweighs him up high? Nope, he knows low man wins, so he comes flying up and hits them between the knees and ankles, and if he does that, even the Brandon Jacobs and Jerome Bettis's of the world drop like a sack of dirt.

36. MrClean

One of the videos of them practicing in the bubble, showed Wilson and Jones standing together, helmets off, and there didn't appear to be 10 lbs difference between them to me.

37. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    That tends to happen in a contract year

Bpk likes this.
  38. Bpk

If Jimmy Wilson is at 205 that's fantastic news, so long as he is well conditioned and kept his speed.

I don't want Wilson as a nickel back. His skill set and the way he plays the game is perfect for safety. In fact, one of the reasons I am beginning to trust this coaching staff is that they saw Jimmy as suited to the Safety position.

No Jason Allen uncertainty there.

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I knew Jimmy was suited for safety two years ago, not sure why Nolan couldn't figure it out.

Bpk likes this.
  40. MrClean

TBH, I think he is suitable and capable of playing either corner or safety at the level of a solid NFL starter. It looks like that terrible GM Ireland found us a steal when he drafted Jimmy.

The first Hindu theory player I actually thought of for him was Steelers corner Ike Taylor.