1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marshall will help Davis and Smith progress.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GISH, Apr 19, 2010.

1. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Marshall Will Help Davis and Smith Progress

The level of competition between WRs and DBs on our roster has been taken to a new level. Vontae Davis and Sean Smith played against the leagues best last year, and backed down to no one. But during practice the competition wasn't at gameday level. Adding Marshall gives Vontae a perfect weapon to practice against. Working against Marshall everyday will only bring out the very best in Vontae. Being that Vontae is already an aggressive corner, he won't have any problem with Marshall's physicality. Marshall also allows Vontae to practice against a legitimate redzone target, working for jump balls. Of course this will impact Sean Smith as well; but I think Vontae will gain the most of Marshall's presence from a defensive stand point. I'm looking forward to training camp. Hopefully Henne and Marshall torch Vontae a few times to get a fire burning between the two.

EDIT: Will Allen has nothing to learn from Marshall. He shut him down last time they faced off.

2. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Nice post GISH. I am excited to see Vontae and Sean step it up next year...they both have a bright future.

3. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri

I just sent a message to Sean about this. (Twitter) This one guy changes a lot.

4. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Good points, but are you saying Vontae will gain the most, because he's already physical enough to legitimately challenge Marshall, and thus improve via the competitive exchange?
    Otherwise, I'd imagine it would be Smith who stands to gain, er rather "needs" to break through his shell, and hopefully, would be in position to make greater strides toward more physical play.

eric likes this.
  5. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    A lot of Smith's time will be spent against #2 WRs. Vontae needs the practice to be ready against the WRs he will be facing. Playing Marshall will prepare him for guys like Greg Jennings, who Vontae faces this year. Once it becomes routine for Vontae to be playing top level WRs, he will go from solid to great. I don't think Smith has as high of a ceiling, which is why I say Vontae has the most to gain from the competition.

6. Califin

Nov 26, 2007
    While Vontae's natural talents eventually emerged, and the scales tipped to reveal a more accurate measure of their abilities, I certainly hope there's still some altitude beneath Smith's ceiling.

7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    ok, I'll be the negative guy to say it.

This isn't how an nfl team practices. For the most part Vontae will be going up against Patrick Turner or whatever WR we have on the practice squad (hence the term) this season. He will not be going toe-to-toe with Brandon Marshall in every practice, or even half of them I'd imagine.

8. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    They will work together daily. Not in every single drill. But the 1's do play with other 1's. I highly doubt that Sparano prepares the team for a game by having the 1's practice against the 3's.

9. Wildcat23

Wildcat23 Here kitty kitty

Nov 9, 2009
    Miami keeps their CBs on the same side of the field the whole game. So to say Sean will be playing #2s isn't exactly true. Also, Sean was a much better man to man cover corner than Davis last season. Tho I would love to see some Smith vs Marshall jump balls. :up:

10. Califin

Nov 26, 2007
    Actually I wouldn't interpret that as negative. Its nice to finally have a receiver, who was acquired from anywhere else, BUT the Practice Squad.

11. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    A majority of #1 WRs will line up with Davis. Sometimes they move around. But most of the time Vontae is one the #1. Smith got burnt a lot as a rookie. He got no picks, and his highlight reel comes mostly from the preseason. He needs to improve quite a bit. Getting a quality FS will help a lot, but Smith left plenty of room for improvement.

12. Wildcat23

Nov 9, 2009
    He got burnt just as much as VD(actually I think maybe even less). Although you are right about the picks, I still think he played better overall.

I actually think Smith will surprise a lot of people next season and end up being the better corner.

13. Califin

Nov 26, 2007
    While Sparano was forthright in his PC regarding this, it'll be interesting to see if Nolan falls in line, to adhere to that philosophy. Then again, as I recall, it was based mainly upon their lack of experience.

TheMarshall and Wildcat23 like this.
  14. Wildcat23

Nov 9, 2009
    Aye, this is true. Good point. :up: