1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marshall's Impact On Pat White?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Southbeach, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I have to believe that the signing of Marshall has had a negative impact on the need of a Wild Pat. Our team now has a very legit O without it.

I seriously doubt we would have drafted White if Marshall was on the team.

That being said, I still think White can make plays, and help our team. We shall see if he gets the chance.

Thoughts?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  2. Makados10

Makados10 Active Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I really don't think Marshal has much to do with it. He makes whatever Wildcat package better.

Ronnie is just more effective at running the wildcat. He's a far more dangerous runner and can pass accurately enough to be a threat.

Pat's throwing ability just hasn't panned out to be dangerous out of the wildcat. I do think he should be given a half in a preseason game to lay it all out on the table for his job, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    sadly i doubt we see any of pat white until the final preseason game. the 3rd preseason game is usually notoriously the most playing time for starters....i doubt white gets in.

as for marshall, there may be some truth to it.....us leaning more on the passing game. However, i just think we've realized the wildcat is more effective with ronnie brown taking the snaps. Pat White is basically 2nd on the depth chart as wildcat QB....and with us not running it THAT much, i doubt there is a place for a guy on the 53 man roster who's only asset to the team is 2nd string wildcat qb :lol:

Tin Indian, finyank13, gunn34 and 2 others like this.
  4. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Absolutely it did..... we got a glimpse of what is now possible from our base offense and that was just a small taste of things to come. Add that to the fact that White will not be adding a passing element to the WC and it would appear his fate has been sealed.

dolfan7171 and SICK like this.
  5. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Lets be honest.
    The only person who is having a negative effect on Pat White's playing time is Pat White.

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i dunno, there are more factors imo. The guy got a ton of playing time last year considering he was a rookie qb.

Most rookie qbs get the opportunity and some "wait and see" approaches from fans and coaches....dunno why pat is getting different treatment?

I agree his throws are herrendous, but wasnt he making all those throws at the combine? i dont think the problem is physical.......I juist dont understand why a rookie like rivers, henne, palmer, rodgers were given years to progress and grow in their position in this league.....but pat white doesnt get the same chance?

Trowa, Steve-Mo, ToddsPhins and 2 others like this.
  7. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    When we drafted White, we were an offensively challenged team looking for something to improve. That is no longer the case.

With Henne, Marshall, and a great running game, we can now light up the scoreboard, and I can guarantee that Henne does not like going to WR in the Cat. Not a good thing for White.

What a difference a year makes.

8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i agree somewhat with the OP we scored 21 points in a single quarter......the NEED for pat white has changed significantly since last season......and as fans, and for the dolphins as a TEAM thats a damn good thing......

for pat white.......it sucks.... :lol:

9. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Hve to disagree JT. Everyone is getting playing time in PS games, even the guys we know are camp fodder but, not White.

Something is amiss.

10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    or he pissed off the wrong person :lol:

11. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Maybe he really has looked just awful in TC, so they figure not to waste any snaps on him if they feel like Thiggy will improve as a backup with more game time.

However, if that's the case, then why even keep him on the roster?

It's gotta be in his head...he can't go from looking awesome in the Senior Bowl, workouts, combine, and WVU to looking like this.

12. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Reminds me just a bit of the Roth deal.

SICK likes this.
  13. JimToss

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    I stick by my original statement.
    If this kid was ready to play whether it be mentally or physically he would be given the chance.

Larry Little and finyank13 like this.
  14. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Hard to say what's going on. Ya got Rickey, who never says anything, calling White the most improved player on the team, other players calling him day and night, and he puts on 10 pounds of muscle in the off season.

IMO, that deserves at least a look in a series or two.

Puka-head likes this.
  15. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Maybe that's just guys being good teammates. Trying to instill some confidence in the youngster.

Meanwhile he acts like that jackwagon from the geico commercial.

16. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    then why not cut him....? a reason could be because he will have a decent amount of time before the season starts to learn the new play book.......unlike others where u like to see them get cut quick to try and catch on somewhere else alla stumpy.....White will get cut on the day before 53-man day....

17. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    SICK i think Ricky is a better wildcat qb than Pat. Maybe its debatable because he can throw better but Pat could be the 3rd string wildcat qb!

18. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I agree 100% Southbeach. If Marshall were on this team prior to the 09 draft, then Pat is a Bronco right now. And still so is Tebow. :shifty:

IMO the FO was like a kid in a candy shop with Pat and became overly preoccupied with sugarcoated WildPat dreams when they should've been pinched to wake up so we could focus on bolstering the base offense FIRST before adding trinkets to it.

I'll be the first to admit that (pre-draft) I believed Pat had what it takes to be an NFL starting QB after 3 or 4 years of grooming under his belt. IMO making him a high 2nd rounder placed too much pressure & stress on him to succeed early, and THAT my friends is what's killing his career. He needed to be a low pressure 4th round pick where he could ease along without so much attention on him.

jetssuck likes this.
  19. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Rickey does not volunteer info on anyone, including himself but, he did.

Lost me on White's "actions." He has done, or said, anything that would give you reason to post that.

20. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Todd, Been a long time. How the hell have ya been? How is that HOF draft pick at center working out? :)

I'm hoping we trade Thigpen, and White gets a chance. Sounds like a Beatles song- All We Are Saying Is Give Pat A Chance.

21. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    There never really was a WildPat to begin with. He only took the driect snap once that I can remember and that was on a two point conversion. If you are talking that Pistol garbage well then the Pat White experiment failed miserably last season without Marshall even being in the conversation. They have realized the only trickery formation is the true Wildcat with Ronnie. Someone must have woke Henning from his nap and said we have to keep Henne on the field in base unless Ronnie is taking the reigns now that he is back. I think they realized that PW is a bust and and they screwed up. Marshall being here or not has nothing to do with that.

22. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Hey buddy! Welcome aboard old friend. That HOF center is working out great!!..... for the Browns. :shifty: Thanks for digging in that thumbnail though. LOL. Mack would look better in aqua and orange right now though. :yes:

The Pat White fan in me would also like to get a 3rd for Thiggy so that Pat can still have time to develop.

23. JimToss

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    I guess we can just all agree that we have at least found our replacement for the Ted Ginn threads.
    That's the true value Pat White brings to this team.

Tin Indian, jetssuck and GMJohnson like this.
  24. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Surprised you have not moved to Cleveland to watch him. JK/LOL.

I have a gut feeling that Thiggy is going to be traded, and that White will be deserving a few apologies this season. I am right more than half the time, bets included, but, never wrong (unless you talk with the wife). LOL

ToddsPhins likes this.
  25. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Yeah, who wants to talk about players playing well, when you can pick on somebody? LOL

GMJohnson likes this.
  26. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    So please enlighten me...what type of passing game would we have if any at all if White happened to be put into a game. The guy can't hit the broad side of a barn with an elephant LOL. I don't think you can develop that if it has been a ghost in two training camps. The Dolphins would be insane to trade Thigpen knowing what we already know. :up:

27. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I would love to say something about Pat White playing well......... so far.......crickets bro!

SICK likes this.
  28. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Why not simply cut him then....cut their loses right now and move on.....if they realized they screwed up, and think he is busted out, it shouldnt matter if he goes to another AFC East team....the guy sucks right??

Something else is going on here I believe...:shifty:

29. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    What are you talking about? Pat White did everything that was asked of him in the Tampa Bay game. And, satisfied with his top notch performance, the coaching staff decided to rest him on Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised if he sat this week also, he doesn't need a ton of reps, he's a natural out there.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  30. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    eh, im not sure our coaching staff has thought that way completely

31. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The Pistol was pretty successful in its limited use.

Speaking of which, who else is getting excited just thinking about that Nevada- Boise St. game?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  32. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I would love to hear you theory then fy because the other ideas for why he isn't playing have been crap. Including they are showcasing trading Thigpen and PW will be kept around and be third guy. That would be a disaster to this team. I hate that idea. If the FO does that they are delusional. Unless of course you can get back the second. I don't trust Pennington at all regardless of his accuracy on a 30 yard jump ball LOL.

BTW we kept Matt Roth around and ended up cutting him. :up:

33. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Roth wasn't taking up a roster spot. Once he hit the roster, how long did he last?

If they end up keeping White, then he didn't play in preseason because they want their plans for him to remain secret. I would think that if we plan on running the Veer offense with him, then doing so in the preseason wouldn't help from a strategic perspective. Theres so much out there you could do with him, that essentially every week you could bring him in, and run a series using a scheme that hasn't been used at the NFL level yet. Theres value in that, as we saw in the NE game.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  34. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Dude no offense but that is the biggest pile of PW homerism crap I have ever read. So you are keeping him a secret even though he can't complete a pass. You don't think they would want to work on his accuracy. Unless of course the big secret formation is to run him everytime. That is a real creative plan for a QB. Keep in mind the one reason the WC worked so well is because it involved two running backs running the football :up:

Keeping pat white a secret :lol:

35. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    To be devil's advocate, you're assuming that Henne and Penny get hurt AND then we don't grab a FA vet to fill in. To also be devil's advocate, Thiggy is a 3rd string QB. He could DEFINITELY be had for the right price. The only question is: What might we be offered for him?

36. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    thats the thing KP I dont have one...here is the thing with this situation....are they carrying 4 QBs?? I dont see it.....so if they havent played him yet in 2 pre-season games yet, he isnt in the plans most likely, where do they go from here?? and y havent they chopped him yet??

Personally I dont want to see him in there at all, I dont want to even see pass plays from the WC anymore....it renders him useless.....u know?? That being said I dont know where they are going with him...

Killerphins likes this.
  37. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Depends what the other team views him as, if it is as a starter, then I wouldnt unload him for anything less than a 3rd.....if it is a backup, you probably arent getting much more that a 4th for him...

38. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    How else do you explain us NOT utilizing him in true WC plays last season? :wink2:

39. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    If Penny says behind closed doors that he wants to stay a while, then I'd take a 3rd for Thig (maybe even a 4th depending on the team). There's too much talent in this upcoming draft, so I'd rather have a potential starter for another position than a 3rd string QB. Just my opinion.

If Pat's gone for some reason, then I'd rather trade Thiggy for a 3rd or 4th and work on snagging a guy like Brandstater from Indy to be our 3rd.

40. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Pat White's undoing was the insistence on his development at QB, and the refusal to move him to WR/RB. I don't know if that was Pat's decision, or the Dolphins' decision, but it was the wrong decision.