Marshall's Impact On Pat White?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Southbeach, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Passing out of the Veer offense, for example, isn't something you'll see happen a lot. When it does happen, its usually to a wide open WR. White's primary value in that type of offense is going to be making his reads at the LOS.

If you're going to compartmentalize White into a preconceived role, you'll likely be disappointed.

2. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Because he would get destroyed...so now there is a theory out there that PW is some big secret weapon despite the fact he can't complete a pass or be involved in our only succesful alternate formation. What else you left with but the pistol crap. It was a failure and unnecessary.

3. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Do you even know when we ran the pistol?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  4. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    so what role is it then. Two yards and his dick gets put in the dirt running the ball? No thanks...not worth it at all and certainly not much of a secret. I would rather stick with base and run the football with RUNNING BACKS or have the option to play action with a QB.. Sorry that is how I roll... Real football.

5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I would take a 3rd for him anyday of the week under any circumstance...:up:

Stringer Bell and ToddsPhins like this.
  6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    was that a trick question, String? :shifty:

7. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Real football? Like the spread offense is 'real football'?

8. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Only time we ran it was against NE. Heck, I'm not sure a 2nd round pick isn't worth seeing that look of dismay on Belichick's face twice a year.

I wonder why we never saw the formation again???

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    yep when henning fuzzed out, got cute and decided to kill the rhythm of a drive :up:

10. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I think you've proven my point :wink2:

Steve-Mo likes this.
  11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    It was our decision to draft him as a QB and value him as a QB. You know how I know that? Because it was the early 2nd round. WRs and RBs weren't exactly in short order. We could've had Massaquoi, Mike Wallace, LeSean McCoy, or Shonn Greene (out of the list of many already proven college WRs/RBs) if we actually wanted a WR or RB. IMO it makes no sense to draft a project WR/RB that high when you know he'd be playing QB initially. If this were a Demaryius Thomas type freak of a potential WR, then sure, I could see it.

12. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Trying to label White as a QB, WR, or RB is an exercise in futility. Technically, he's listed as a QB, but in reality, his responsibilities are not those of an NFL QB.

13. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I don't necessarily agree with this because Georgia Tech's Triple Option (Damn them. Go U!) relied on having a big WR on the outside to throw to if the run messed up. Marshall would have been perfect for a WildPat package but the problem is that Pat White isn't perfect for a Wild Pat package.

14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    :lol: Good point about the BB dismay. He's so much fun to see agitated!!

I'm thinking the same thing about not seeing it again.... and there has to be a reason for it. Part of me still wants to believe the reason was to get an idea of how defenses would defend it so that we could game plan against it during the offseason and unveil it during the regular season.

15. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    For the love of God
    PLEASE NO:no:

Tin Indian, GMJohnson and Killerphins like this.
  16. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    White is an option QB that gives you no options.
    It always kills me when player fans cling on to these type of guys and fight tooth and nail regardless of the fact that they have done nothing and have zero chance of developing at their position at this level. Pat white is a QB on this football team for now not Superman. He isn't a secret weapon nor will he be any better tomorrow than he was today just like is no farther along this year than last year which was a disaster.

17. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm not really a fan of Pat White necessarily. So I think you're a little off base in what you're trying to imply. What I am a fan of, is innovative football. Now personally, I'm not sure who aside from White and Tim Tebow I would say could run the Veer or Pistol offenses effectively. Tommy Frazier back in the day, IMO would have been successful doing it.

18. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I'm a fan of the Dolphins and winning football games and I don't see Pat white contributing to that or being anything innovative at all. We all have our priorities bro.... :up:

19. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    If Pat White don't get a chance this week,her is toast.

20. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    it's somewhat difficult to say that with accuracy b/c we haven't seen Pat used in true WC plays that allow him to do what he's good at.

21. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    I understand where you're coming from and I agree with what you say.
    Unfortunately it didn't work for the team.
    It's never been about Pat White the person,it's been about a high draft pick that couldn't cut it.It's not his fault.
    I wish the (stubborn)supporters of this fine young man can come to the conclusion that it didn't work for this team<-----. I wish him luck in the future.

GMJohnson likes this.
  22. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Well, IF I'm Ireland, and IF I have interest in fetching draft picks for one Tyler Thigpen, and IF my plan is to develop White over a two or three year period, the LAST thing I do is give Pat White any snaps during pre-season. It wouldn't make any sense. You develop a Pat White in the film room...on the sidelines after each series looking at game snapshots...in the weightroom, on the practice field as the practice team QB. You fetch draft picks for Thigpen (IF you can at all) by showcasing him in preseason and HOPE that he shows well enough that a team who's Chad Henne and/or Chad Pennington goes down due to injury is desperate enough to pay out the nose to for a battle tested veteran starter with enough youth on his side to make a long term investment possible.

But hey, that's just my take on it.