1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martin's lawyer responds

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phins_Fan_87, Nov 7, 2013.

1. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    WHAT?!?! This is the first I have heard of this.

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    WADR, I've had to post that info 3 separate times. I'm not doing it again. Look around, you'll find it.

3. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I'm not sure I accept this premise. I'm not sure that Ricky isn't right that this is an "acceptable" way for him to get out of football and to make some bank in the process. I'm saying I wonder if it's the football that he is sensitive about and not the so called bullying.

4. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I just hadn't caught up w/ that yet. I did find it. A short but significant omission I would say.

As an aside, this is going to hurt the NFL overall, which I believe is looking at it's heyday in the rear view mirror.

5. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Help a brother out.

6. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    1.Kill shot? I thought it was the money shot… lol

2. IMO you wrote this post to play devils advocate… cause no one here that has spend any amount of time with a group of guys has heard that or worse.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  7. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
  8. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
  9. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
  10. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I'm sure meeting at the strip club was really conducive to getting better as a unit. Wha a tremedously innovative leader this guy was.

In all seriousness, the bad part about that report is that he would fine people who didn't want to go, regardless of their reasons. I guess being on the eladership council makes you judge, jury and executioner.

And this is relevant to the Martin case, because if true, Richie was clearly in a position to do whatever he wanted and punish those who didn't comply.

11. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    He could only be in the position to fine Martin if Martin actually allowed it. Its like saying that a moderator here could fine a poster.

Fin D and unluckyluciano like this.
  12. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    So wait, that 50 that Muck hit me for last week...

Larryfinfan and Stringer Bell like this.
  13. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

You would be surprised at what they fine each other for.....its called Kangaroo Court.

14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    You can, in a way. If you think of it as someone is paying X amount of money to use your site per month, and you suspend/ban them for X amount of days, then they're losing time/money which they paid for.

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Actually, here's an idea to weed out garbage here:

Charge $5 for what is now the mains and make everything else the soapbox.

Would weed out a lot of trolls for you and the ones that still kept coming back would at least turn you a profit lol

16. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
  17. Mk2

Mk2 New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    You know I was born in new York and 100% American but my parents were Cuban. Maybe it's a Latin thing , I don't know but there is no way anyone , no matter how good a friend , is going to say anything like that about someone's sister or mother in a joking manner in the culture I group up in ( absolutely in an offensive way you would hear it but not in a joking way ) . so maybe it's a cultural thing .

18. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Martin's lawyer respons

One thing that we all must bear in mind from the past few days...the likes of Murtha, Hartline and Tannehill have put their names to their accounts. They are not hiding as "anonymous sources" to spew rhetoric.

There is significant evidentiary value in that.

Fin D likes this.
  19. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    I've been in locker rooms all the way through college, and honestly that would have been a mundane run of the mill comment. Stuff like that (and worse) gets said on a daily basis. NOTHING is sacred. Nobody ever took it personal and honestly, most times coaches would dish it out more than players. So I think a lot of these comments out of the locker room "context" seem much worse than they actually are.

20. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Very true in the military as well. You oughtta hear the crap that gets flung around on your average Navy ship. Makes this stuff look like a polite conversation between debutants.

Larryfinfan and BayAreaFinFan like this.
  21. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    I know I am jumping in a little late butI have something to say in response to this.

Just because today it is still the norm does not in any way shape of for mean it is acceptable. In my 30 + years in the fire service I have seen things that were the "norm" back in the day because it was tradition or the way it has always been done, become things that will get you suspended or thrown out of the fire service today. Why because we evolved, and came to realize that what was "the way it always has been" was really stupid and wrong.

I am no bleeding heart by any stretch of the imagination, but wrong is wrong no matter how you slice it, no matter how it was intended. Maybe this whole crap storm is what the NFL and sports in general needs to open it's eyes and realize this type of behavior really in not good for the sport or it's players, even if this was the way it has always been.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sometimes wrong is relative.

If I told you about a person that entered into a close knit group of people, pretended to be someone else. Got close with these people, made them think they were friends when they weren't. And in becoming friends, they became trusted. Then, later, they decide to abruptly leave that group and then release damaging information about the people they falsely befriended taken out of context. The result of which may cost some or all of those people their jobs and public shaming.

...is that wrong is wrong is wrong or is that exactly what Martin did?

Larryfinfan and joenhre like this.
  23. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    not same context guy was forced in he got drafted I still think both sides are in the wrong

24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You don't have to enter the draft. You don't have to play.

resnor and Larryfinfan like this.
  25. Ducken

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    IMHO both parties have handled things wrong. I think you and I both know that what you said here has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sure it does.

You're operating form the standpoint that Ritchie was bullying Martin and what really happened is that Ritchie was joking around with a friend. Its not wrong to joke around with a friend.

27. Ducken

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    No I am operating from the stand point that that type of behaivor is not acceptable period and just because "it has always been that way" does not make it acceptable period. Times change, stupid and bad behaivor through out the centuries has been cast aside because as humans we have come to see it for what it is. It is about time the NFL and sports in general wake up and join us in the 21st century.

28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yes, you are though. What specifically was this wrong and unacceptable behavior you're speaking of? Was it the 4 voice mails? They were jokes that were meant as jokes and accepted as jokes. Its been proven that is how these two men joked to each other. Was it the money for the Vegas trip? That wasn't extortion. That was a group of guys booking an agreed upon trip then when it came time to pay, Martin backed out. Its been reported by other players that Cogs actually helped pay for them to go.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  29. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

OK so I will ask, who made you the what is right and wrong police? Or the judge of what is good or bad behavior? What if (for example) I have zero issue with this kind of behavior? what makes your assesment of bad behavior and more valid then mine?

because this is what I see as the bigger problem... People like you telling people like me this is a problem... when IMO... it really isnt.

30. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    What Ducken is saying is 100 percent true for the "normal" work environment. In fact in a "normal" work setting Cogs could be making those comments to Pouncey (who is OK with the comments) and Cogs would still be guilty of creating a hostile work environment because Martin could hear them and was uncomfortable with the comments. I'm not saying this is right but its were we are in today's PC america. So do the same standards for a "normal" workplace apply to the NFL? I'm no employment attorney but I can't imagine what grounds the NFL will argue that they don't apply. Then again the NFL was required to allow female reporters into the locker room and I can't image another work environment were that would be allowed (OK maybe a strip joint).

31. Ducken

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree and walk away. Last thing I wanna get into is a peeing contest.

32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This isn't a peeing contest.

You made grand statements about nebulous concepts. I'm asking you about specifics. You don't have to answer, but this isn't a peeing contest.

33. Ducken

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    I was more referring to Mroz comments then yours, my bad to not clarify that. But as to your questions, that type of "joking" is uncalled for and in today's day and age has to go. Or you end up with situation just like this. People today are too sensitive, to sue happy, and to self centered. Add in the instant news reporting with twitter etc... the coaches have no time to do damage control to keep this kinda stuff in house.

34. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    There is no single "normal" workplace. Each one is different. In most workplaces, walking around with your dong hanging out is clearly impermissible and would be grounds for immediate firing and harassment liability. But it is "normal" in an NFL locker room. In most workplaces, any amount of profanity is considered unacceptable but it is a very normal and common part of other workplaces, such as the NFL. The way we have all seen coaches chew out and curse at players on TV, Hard Knocks and NFL Films videos would be considered completely unacceptable in most "normal" workplaces. But are we really going to try to eradicate profanity of yelling from the NFL?

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Fair enough.

What exactly is the line in jokes between friends that will work for everyone?

36. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Damn. Good. Post....the very synopsis of this whole mess...and, as usual, it's all about the money. When the Fins threatened to put Martin on the NFI and/or cut him for "conduct detrimental" he decided to go off...

My candidate for the mythical "Poster Of The Year" Award....

Fin D likes this.