Marvel Phases 2 & 3 Discussion

719 replies

eltos_lightfooteltos_lightfootForum Veteran
Mar 6, 2018, 08:35 AM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I saw it tonight and agree with a lot of that. I thought that it was well thought out and written, and gave very good back stories for all of the reasoning. It was well directed, and I liked a lot of the cast.

I did think though that they missed out on a lot of chances to add in lighter, everyday human language that's common in most Marvel movies. Though there was some levity, all in all it was a really serious movie. Not dark, but heavier than usual for the MCU. Given the box office success, its highly likely that it has one or more sequels, and I'm hopeful that they lighten the tone slightly.

My only real gripe was the primary villain. While I thought he was well thought out and rounded, either Michael Jordan did a fairly poor job acting him out, or he was given poor direction, because the character came out as bahaving far too plain and obvious for his background and potential. There was a lot to be had there that was lost, I think.

Still though, I certainly enjoyed it more than Iron Man 2 & 3, and Thor 2. Maybe more than the first Thor too, but I liked Thor 3, Ant Man and the Guardians movies a lot more.

I would agree with this, and I really, really liked Iron Man 2 & 3 and Thor 2. Just that Ant-Man was so good. As were the Guardian movies, and Thor 3 is the king of them all. Dr. Strange and Black Panther were about the same to me. Great, great movies.

"I never freeze." Is going to be part of our lexicon for a few years.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Mar 6, 2018, 10:51 AM

"eltos_lightfoot wrote:

I would agree with this, and I really, really liked Iron Man 2 & 3 and Thor 2. Just that Ant-Man was so good. As were the Guardian movies, and Thor 3 is the king of them all. Dr. Strange and Black Panther were about the same to me. Great, great movies.

"I never freeze." Is going to be part of our lexicon for a few years.

I have Black Panther way above Dr. Strange. I feel Black Panther has a stronger supporting cast and the villain is about a million times better. Though that reverse fight scene in Dr. Strange is my second favorite fight scene in a Marvel movie. That was fantastic.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

eltos_lightfooteltos_lightfootForum Veteran
Mar 6, 2018, 12:16 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

I have Black Panther way above Dr. Strange. I feel Black Panther has a stronger supporting cast and the villain is about a million times better. Though that reverse fight scene in Dr. Strange is my second favorite fight scene in a Marvel movie. That was fantastic.

Dr. Strange felt more multi-dimensional for me in it's plot and ending. But yes, Black Panther ROCKED. The characters were awesome.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Mar 6, 2018, 12:25 PM

"eltos_lightfoot wrote:

Dr. Strange felt more multi-dimensional for me in it's plot and ending. But yes, Black Panther ROCKED. The characters were awesome.

I see what you did there.

I like Doctor Strange a lot. The plot on the hero side was very good. I loved the stuff with The Ancient One and Strange. Even enjoyed his love interest. On the villain side I thought it was very weak and generic. Which I am fine with since the Marvel movies are more hero heavy than villain heavy.

Black Panther is the only Marvel villain I felt true sympathy for. Zemo comes close, however, I still think him blaming the Avengers is a little contrived. It is also kind of personal. I did have some Kilmonger type thoughts growing up at times.

I do find ranking Marvel movies as a fun exercise that is mostly meaningless. It is crazy to me that there have been 18 MCU movies and the worst ones are Thor 2, Iron Man 2, and The Incredible Hulk. None of those are bad movies.

My excitement is lower because their success is so normal. I plan on seeing each one on opening Thursday, I just don't count down the days like I used to. I also know that after I watch Infinity War, that Antman and the Wasp is coming out soon and it is going to be good, then Captain Marvel is going to come out and it is going to be good, then Untitled Avengers film is going to come out and be very good, then so on and so on.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

eltos_lightfooteltos_lightfootForum Veteran
Mar 6, 2018, 12:37 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

I see what you did there.

I like Doctor Strange a lot. The plot on the hero side was very good. I loved the stuff with The Ancient One and Strange. Even enjoyed his love interest. On the villain side I thought it was very weak and generic. Which I am fine with since the Marvel movies are more hero heavy than villain heavy.

Black Panther is the only Marvel villain I felt true sympathy for. Zemo comes close, however, I still think him blaming the Avengers is a little contrived. It is also kind of personal. I did have some Kilmonger type thoughts growing up at times.

I do find ranking Marvel movies as a fun exercise that is mostly meaningless. It is crazy to me that there have been 18 MCU movies and the worst ones are Thor 2, Iron Man 2, and The Incredible Hulk. None of those are bad movies.

My excitement is lower because their success is so normal. I plan on seeing each one on opening Thursday, I just don't count down the days like I used to. I also know that after I watch Infinity War, that Antman and the Wasp is coming out soon and it is going to be good, then Captain Marvel is going to come out and it is going to be good, then Untitled Avengers film is going to come out and be very good, then so on and so on.

That is a really good point about the villain. He was one of the best parts of Black Panther. That is also true about how they have raised the bar. They are lapping DC at this point.

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Mar 7, 2018, 10:52 AM

Finally saw Ragnarok, what a fun as hell ride!

We're gonna get on this ship and get the hell outta here, wanna come?

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Mar 9, 2018, 03:15 PM

https://geektyrant.com/news/kevin-feige-confirms-black-panther-is-getting-a-sequel-obviously

Not that there should have been any doubt, but Black Panther is officially getting a sequel. That should put to rest any ideas that the character might be been killed off in Infinity War, and I saw some foolish suggestions that he might have this week. Regardless of good/bad storytelling and shock value, it just wouldn't have been good business to do so.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Mar 12, 2018, 09:41 AM

"texanphinatic wrote:

Finally saw Ragnarok, what a fun as hell ride!

We're gonna get on this ship and get the hell outta here, wanna come?

yeah, IMO, this Thor and 1st GotG were by far the two most fun movies from Marvel. Deadpool a close third.
I saw Thor in theatre 3 times and was still great fun the third time.

testing

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Mar 12, 2018, 11:12 AM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

yeah, IMO, this Thor and 1st GotG were by far the two most fun movies from Marvel. Deadpool a close third.
I saw Thor in theatre 3 times and was still great fun the third time.

Holy cow. If I get to the movies to see something once I feel lucky!

On a larger Marvel note, I'm having trouble getting excited for the next X-Men movie. Its not that I disliked the last one, because I thought it was enjoyable. But with how good the MCU is, and with the X-Men universe as we know it likely coming to an end, it just feels less important. To this point, I have seen every single X-Men movie in the cinema, but I'm not sure if I'll make time for it or not. Its still months away, so we'll see how I feel by then.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Mar 12, 2018, 12:13 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

Holy cow. If I get to the movies to see something once I feel lucky!

On a larger Marvel note, I'm having trouble getting excited for the next X-Men movie. Its not that I disliked the last one, because I thought it was enjoyable. But with how good the MCU is, and with the X-Men universe as we know it likely coming to an end, it just feels less important. To this point, I have seen every single X-Men movie in the cinema, but I'm not sure if I'll make time for it or not. Its still months away, so we'll see how I feel by then.

yeah, I grew up loving the Xmen, but I stopped seeing them in the theatre awhile ago. The previous trilogy left a really bad taste in my mouth that is only starting to get better with the recent movies. THey are good movies now, but to me not something I have to see in an IMAX theatre.

testing

DestroyerDestroyerForum Veteran
Mar 12, 2018, 05:23 PM

Black Panther was awesome.

The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.

DestroyerDestroyerForum Veteran
Mar 12, 2018, 05:27 PM

Double Post:

Top 5 Marvel Movies:
Logan
Winter Soldier
Thor 3
Black Panther
Doctor Strange

The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Mar 12, 2018, 07:10 PM

"Destroyer wrote:

Double Post:

Top 5 Marvel Movies:
Logan
Winter Soldier
Thor 3
Black Panther
Doctor Strange

Civil War
Spider Man Homecoming
Black Panther
Thor 3
Winter Soldier

DestroyerDestroyerForum Veteran
Mar 12, 2018, 08:33 PM

"Fin D wrote:

Civil War
Spider Man Homecoming
Black Panther
Thor 3
Winter Soldier

Civil war is 6 and gotg 1 would be 7. No love for Logan?

The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Mar 12, 2018, 08:35 PM

"Destroyer wrote:

Civil war is 6 and gotg 1 would be 7. No love for Logan?

Logan isn't an MCU movie.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Mar 12, 2018, 08:39 PM

I still need to watch Spiderman Homecoming. I got it as a gift but haven't gotten around to it yet. I know that I need to before May.

My top MCU movies so far would be:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Thor Ragnarok
3. Winter Soldier
4. The Avengers
5. Iron Man

DestroyerDestroyerForum Veteran
Mar 12, 2018, 08:59 PM

"Fin D wrote:

Logan isn't an MCU movie.

Its so good I count it.

The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Mar 14, 2018, 06:00 AM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I still need to watch Spiderman Homecoming. I got it as a gift but haven't gotten around to it yet. I know that I need to before May.

My top MCU movies so far would be:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Thor Ragnarok
3. Winter Soldier
4. The Avengers
5. Iron Man

This is closest to my ranking:

1) GOTG
2) Thor Ragnarok
3) Winter Soldier
4) The Avengers
5) Dr Strange

testing

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Mar 16, 2018, 08:54 AM

I don't have a link, as it came from an article that Google recommended on my phone. However, Kevin Feige was quoted as saying that Phil Coulson's story will be addressed in Infinity War, and it was hinted that there might even be something from the show in the movie.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Mar 16, 2018, 12:11 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I don't have a link, as it came from an article that Google recommended on my phone. However, Kevin Feige was quoted as saying that Phil Coulson's story will be addressed in Infinity War, and it was hinted that there might even be something from the show in the movie.

have to say I changed my mind on Agents of Shield. I've caught up (at least as far as Netflix goes) on the series and it did get a lot better. waiting for them to add the next season.

testing

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Mar 16, 2018, 01:27 PM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

have to say I changed my mind on Agents of Shield. I've caught up (at least as far as Netflix goes) on the series and it did get a lot better. waiting for them to add the next season.

I've enjoyed it from the start. It's honestly one of the very few TV shows that I watch these days, and Its beyond me why its never caught on more. Unfortunately, the odds of a 6th season seem pretty low, after ABC was forced by Disney to produce season 5. Given that the ratings have gotten smaller and smaller, hopes of anything beyond this May are close to zero.

Apparently, many episodes of this season have had viewership among the lowest of all prime time network shows. The show ranked 110th last year, when ratings were higher. To this point, they haven't even seen fit to sell a DVD for Season 3, which aired in 2015/16.

While my hopes aren't high that any of the cast will remain part of the MCU after this season ends, it would be a real shame if they aren't. Chloe Bennet, as Sky/Daisy/Quake is excellent, to the point of being special. She's only 25 still, and could easily hold her own as a supporting actress and character in future MCU movies.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Mar 16, 2018, 01:38 PM

In other MCU news, its been announced that Avengers 4 is no longer Infinity War 2 (if that makes sense).

https://geektyrant.com/news/avengers-4-is-not-a-second-part-of-the-infinity-war-story-and-different-heroes-will-be-at-the-forefront

While the movies were originally planned as a 2-Part story, possibly as the end to the MCU, that is no longer the case. Avengers 4 will be a regular sequel and continuation of the Universe, but will focus on a different primary cast.

It’s simply the same thing in the way that ‘The Winter Soldier’ relates to ‘Civil War,’ and the way that ‘Civil War’ relates to ‘Infinity War.’ These two movies will also relate, there’s a narrative thread that is connecting these films, but at the same time, there’s an independence in terms of what the experience is or where the story goes. It isn’t a true two-parter, and I think the two-parter concept came back when Marvel decided they were going to culminate the MCU, it was going to be a two-movie deal. But as we developed the movie, in execution, it ended up being more of two singular expressions.”

And this article notes that Ant Man & The Wasp will take part immediately after Infinity War, and not be set in the past or a different timeline. Also, Captain Marvel will be in Avengers 4, but not the upcoming movie.

https://geektyrant.com/news/captain-marvel-confirmed-to-appear-in-avengers-4-not-in-infinity-war

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Mar 17, 2018, 02:29 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I've enjoyed it from the start. It's honestly one of the very few TV shows that I watch these days, and Its beyond me why its never caught on more. Unfortunately, the odds of a 6th season seem pretty low, after ABC was forced by Disney to produce season 5. Given that the ratings have gotten smaller and smaller, hopes of anything beyond this May are close to zero.

Apparently, many episodes of this season have had viewership among the lowest of all prime time network shows. The show ranked 110th last year, when ratings were higher. To this point, they haven't even seen fit to sell a DVD for Season 3, which aired in 2015/16.

While my hopes aren't high that any of the cast will remain part of the MCU after this season ends, it would be a real shame if they aren't. Chloe Bennet, as Sky/Daisy/Quake is excellent, to the point of being special. She's only 25 still, and could easily hold her own as a supporting actress and character in future MCU movies.

I watched the first few episodes, and they were just so bad I stopped. I have heard they got much better after awhile, but I never really felt like going back. Compound that with the show having little to no connection to the cinematic world and I feel that's why it never really got any steam.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Mar 18, 2018, 08:47 AM

I watched Spiderman Homecoming and enjoyed it. Not one of my favorites, but a good one off, and they did a lot right. I'm glad to have the character as part of the greater MCU and to see what happens from here. I did like the villain a lot. He had a good back story and depth, and was well done. And KAREN is awesome.

The whole "8 years later..." deal at the start is just nonesense, that I guess we simply need to agree. It bugged me the whole movie, and after reading what others think, there seems to be absolutely no logical explanation.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Mar 21, 2018, 06:25 AM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

In other MCU news, its been announced that Avengers 4 is no longer Infinity War 2 (if that makes sense).

https://geektyrant.com/news/avengers-4-is-not-a-second-part-of-the-infinity-war-story-and-different-heroes-will-be-at-the-forefront

While the movies were originally planned as a 2-Part story, possibly as the end to the MCU, that is no longer the case. Avengers 4 will be a regular sequel and continuation of the Universe, but will focus on a different primary cast.

And this article notes that Ant Man & The Wasp will take part immediately after Infinity War, and not be set in the past or a different timeline. Also, Captain Marvel will be in Avengers 4, but not the upcoming movie.

https://geektyrant.com/news/captain-marvel-confirmed-to-appear-in-avengers-4-not-in-infinity-war

definitely eager to see who they kill off in Infinity War. Interesting to see if they have the balls to kill off major character(s).

testing