1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marvel Phases 2 & 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Fin D, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Wilkimania

Wilkimania Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    More important than the 4 though is the list of villains they can now use. Galactus and Doom for a start could be Avengers level threats.

2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Imo Doom probably will be seen faster and will be more important than the Four. He's a great villain and can fill whatever power level they need him to be. Watching power creep will be interesting now that Captain Marvel is around.

This is gonna be a super shallow observation - but Shang Chi strikes me as a Chinese market grab.

I think it's great that we are seeing various characters headline that aren't more white dudes (Feige JUST said something about wanting all people to see themselves in the heroes), but Shang Chi still feels weird to me. Like, if we want normal humans with cool abilities, why not just stick with Widow? If we want a better known martial artist, why not Iron Fist? Ultimately though, that's just my perception and my problem to overcome and keep an open mind against. Hopefully the trailers and such look great.

Your summary of his comic history and what the character really is was solid though - a cool martial arts film wouldn't be out of place as something other than a generic super hero tentpole, and it will be interesting to see how they tie him in with the greater MCU.

3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Those are the two I'm waiting to see. Do they wait for the FF to appear?

4. Wilkimania

Wilkimania Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Doom probably. Galactus maybe not. Depends on what they have lined up. For me the obvious progression from where we are right now is to go into Skrulls and do a Secret Invasion style story line. You've already introduced the Skrulls through Captain Marvel so it's not like they're appearing from nowhere. You also need to put some time between extinction level events in the MCU. I think my next two Avengers films post Endgame would be Secret Invasion and then Dark Avengers. That gives Marvel probably a 5 year window to set the wheels in motion for the next Thanos style big bad which I'd probably go for Galactus. By that time either the comic film bubble has burst or you can get serious about including the mutants.

5. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Yeah it will be interesting to see how they handle him and you're right I would put him in that black widow, daredevil class of superhero...a regular Joe who is an expert fighter. You're probably also right about the Asian market and them wanting someone to trip that switch but if done correctly he'll be a very cool character. If not it could be a disaster lol but they have a good track record so far.

Thinking about it they could introduce Dr Doom now without the FF . He fought everyone at one point or other.

The one thing that's weird to me is it seems the mcu is going intergalactic but the only galactic beings they're introducing is the immortals?. I would think silver surfer or warlock or some other more godlike superheroes would be needed to fight enemies like Galactus. Who knows? Lol

6. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Sounds good to me. Just add Warlock who I've been waiting for since the cocoon scene and I would be happy

7. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    In regards to "Why not just keep using Black Widow", I think that the answer is Scarlett Joshansson likely doesn't want to do it forever. She's been playing the character for almost ten years, and often actors get bored with that eventually. We'll see what happens after her solo movie.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Inclusivity.

Shang Chi has more to do with the US success of Crazy Rich Asians than it does with the Chinese market. There is obviously a market for an asian themed Marvel movie. If they went with a redo of the Netflix Iron Fist, there'd be outrage for not doing a Shang Chi movie.

texanphinatic likes this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Warlock is likely coming since he was teased at the end of GotG 2. I think they will contain him to space/cosmic adventures though.

The movie crowd is different than the comic crowd, at some point the movie crowd won't buy earth threats if they had Thor, Hulk, Strange, Marvel AND Warlock as protectors and still have room for smaller powered guys like Panther, Spiderman, Widow, etc.

adamprez2003 and Unlucky 13 like this.
  10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://screenrant.com/marvel-disney-plus-series-mcu-movies-connection/

MCU boss Kevin Feige admits that the new series' on Disney+ "will intersect with the movies in a very big way", essentially making them mandatory viewing for superfans like myself. This is what I expected would happen with Agents of Shield at the start, and never actually did due to infighting back then. Now, things are totally streamlined, and the shows on the streaming service will flat out be a part of the experience as much as the movies are.

I love it. Its exactly what I want. Fans of the darker, R Rated shows that were on Netflix might not be as enthused, as those types may not be coming back.

11. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
  12. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    6:40 Thursday. So Stoked.

Ohio Fanatic and Unlucky 13 like this.
  13. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I bought my tickets for 11:30am Tuesday. Staying off of all non football social media starting Thursday.

14. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I'd die if I had to wait that long.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  15. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Well, not only is the draft Thursday and Friday, but I've been drafted into a massive amount of house and yardwork on Saturday, and my wife does family stuff ALL DAY on Sunday, so it is what it is. Thankfully, she's off Tuesday and my mother in law can watch our daughter who isn't in school. We almost always do morning or early afternoon movies anyways.

danmarino likes this.
  16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    7pm Thursday here .Super excited

danmarino likes this.
  17. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'm going Sunday afternoon . will work well with NFL draft the first few days to distract me.

danmarino and Unlucky 13 like this.
  18. ScottishFin

ScottishFin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Avengers endgame, just go see it. Utterly tremendous film, best I've seen in years IMO. Usually very reserved UK audience cheering and clapping throughout , some heart breaking moments some I pished myself laughing at .

11/10 it's just that good. Find a big screen with great sound and wait for 3 hours to fly by.

19. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    9am tomorrow morning for me unless something comes up for work between now and 5pm. :butthead:

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    GoT
    Draft
    Endgame

There's 5 days left for someone to patent, produce and sell a low priced BJ machine, to make this the greatest month ever.

21. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://geektyrant.com/news/mark-ru...e-had-been-in-a-movie-with-brie-larson-before

A fun article from Geek Tryant about Mark Ruffalo being told he was in a movie with Brie Larsen and he had no idea.

The last time I watched it, I realized that the best part is that not only were Ruffalo (Hulk) and Larsen (Capt Marvel) in the movie, but that it starred Jennifer Garner, who played Electra in a pre MCU Marvel movie, Judy Greer, who plays Maggie, the ex wife of Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) in Ant Man, and Andy Serkis, who played Ulysses Klaue in Age of Ultron and Black Panther. The romantic comedy from 15 years ago is overflowing with Marvel talent.

danmarino likes this.
  22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I just got out of End Game.

That was the most comic book movie to have ever comic book movied. I am in awe of how much fun I just had.

This movie is beyond a review. Do you review a sunset? Do you review a harvest moon? When you look at a beautiful landscape, do you give it a letter grade?

That was an experience.

23. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    damn, Sunday can not come soon enough

24. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I’m probably the only one ever but I was a little disappointed. I think I liked infinity war more at this point but I’ll watch it again to form a better opinion on it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  25. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    My gripes and likes:

Gripes:
    1:) I knew they were going to use time to travel to solve it. It's probably one of my least favorite things they do to resolve conflicts in comics. It just seems lazy.

2:)They killed Black Widow but she has a movie coming out? Feel mislead like with the Da Vinci Code book. (also Wandavision TV series)

3:)The end battle, they didn't have to make it this huge battle with all of Thanos Troops. It could have been great with just Thanos, Corvus, Maw, Proxima and the big guy(forget his name right now). I hope they don't feel like each avengers movie going forward needs a bigger battle than the previous one which seems to be what they are doing.

4:) Captain Marvel underutilized. WTF!

5:) Hulk still being held back from the *** kicking he should be doing.

6:) The girl power moment was so cheesy. Could have done something better to highlight them but eh whatever.

The great stuff:

1:)Pepper Pots as Rescue. Totally unexpected and my favorite part of the movie.

2:) Tony Stark's daughter/leaving a potential heir.

3:)I like that Gamora stayed dead because she was the worst GOTG. Nebula is 100 times better character and actress. The new team setup for GOTG 3 has me stoked.

4:)Although brief Antman and the Wasp are still great together.

I'll come back and add more great things later.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Unlucky 13 likes this.
  26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I feel you.
    Though #3 I have zero problems with. That was one of my favorite moments of the film. That was just amazing. I loved every second of it. It was almost beyond comic book level awesome. It was so much fun.

Also, they set up time travel in Antman and the Wasp. I have known time travel was most likely going to be a part of this movie. And that made it such a celebration of Marvel movies.

Also the girl power moment was so cheesy? Half the movie is pure cheese. It was all of the cheese. I thought that moment was really neat.

I would spend so much time talking about great things. I love the moment when Tony Stark hugged his dad, and then have him hug Peter Parker. I loved the part when Captain America picked up Thor's hammer. I cheered when all those portals opened up and all of MCU came out of them. That was the closest I got to that feeling of watching the first Avengers movie. I loved the second fight against Thanos. I loved the scene with Thor and his mother. I loved, "I am Ironman". I loved the entire experience of watching this movie.

danmarino, Unlucky 13 and Fin D like this.
  27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Dammit that spoiler box is a succubus.

I've successfully resisted.....

...but for how long?

28. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Resist. When do you see it?

Unlucky 13 and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sunday, 11:15 am.

I'm holding steady though.........

....for now

danmarino and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  30. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Work called....:(

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Best movie ever.

danmarino and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  32. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    No complaints?

33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Nope.

I loved all of it.

It was the single greatest bit of fan candy I've ever been given.

34. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I loved the all woman thing . Both my daughters were sitting next to me and I can see how excited they were to see it. great job by Marvel on that one

Thought the end battle was epic, on the scale of The Return of the King

Time travel is the easy answer, but it's not like Thanos didn't use it to win Infinity War part 1

Overall, definitely the best superhero experience/movie yet.

danmarino, Dol-Fan Dupree and Fin D like this.
  35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    A 1000000% agree with all that.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  36. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Saw the Avengers Endgame over the weekend. It was a pretty good wrap up to the series. I still think Captain America: Winter Soldier is the best Marvel movie though.

37. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    I am kind of there with you. I may have to see it again.

38. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Dwelling on it a few more days the flow for the first hour or so was awful. Logan is still the best movie to feature marvel characters.

39. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I just saw it today. That was an experience like no other. Not only was it a three hour movie that wasn't a single second too long, but the fact that it was the culmination of nearly two dozen other movies spread out over more than a decade just added so much emotion to it for me.

I cried a lot, and I'm not ashamed. Not just at the end, but there were so many emotional moments throughout, of every corner of the spectrum. It was touching, it was awesome, and it was everything that I hoped that it would be. They get an A+ for how such a huge project was handled.

danmarino and Fin D like this.
  40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Changed my mind. 1 issue:

No funeral for Black Widow.