1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marvel Phases 2 & 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Fin D, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    My wife and I said the same thing. Which I felt was a bizarre oversight, even though Clint and Wanda talked about Natasha and Vision at the end. All I can consider is that there was a different memorial service for her at another time or place that wasn't on screen.

Fin D likes this.
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If it was offscreen, that is still not ok.

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    EVERYONE

Google "thanos"

Then click the image of the infinity gauntlet.

Do this now.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  4. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    That is too ****ing cool...lmao

If you click it twice it all comes back...

Fin D likes this.
  5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    that was excellent

6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    With regards to Natasha, its important to note that she does have her own solo movie coming next year, so unlike Tony, and probably Steve, this isn't the last we'll see of Scarlett in the role. They'll have the opprotunity to do her justice at that point and make it as big as they want, should they choose to. Of course, no one outside of Marvel knows what kind of movie its going to be yet.

danmarino, Ohio Fanatic and Fin D like this.
  7. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    danmarino likes this.
  8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yeah I was the same way. I've read a few different things about it, and according to the directors, they wanted to include him, however there are no plans for anything further. Some people had guessed he might play a role in future movies as some sort of heir to Tony.

danmarino likes this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How do you all to want to be the next MCU big bad guy?

The only one I want is:
    Dr. Doom.

Especially.....
    Now that Tony is dead, having a guy with kinda his powers PLUS magic and the leader of a sovereign country (should be changed to Sokovia, IMO). Would make for all kinds of problems.

10. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I am mostly interested to see how they deal with the increasing powers. Captain Marvel is crazy powerful, Thor is super powered now. Strange is back in full. On a strict power basis, how many villains really match up.

As for Endgame, holy smoke. It had a few warts, and was - for me - incredibly bittersweet in a way that I didnt see coming, but good film and didnt feel three hours.

Weird under use of Captain Marvel here. Loved her battle entry, but just axing her from the time stuff was strange.
    The lack of a funeral for Widow. I understand the constraints it was under, but something more significant maybe.
    It felt weird that they gave Tony's happy ending to Steve, it was kind of offputting in a weird way.
    The time travel we all knew was coming, but they did it well imo. No crazy affecting of timelines, having it bite them in the ***.
    Beer gut Thor.
    The pacing and flow early was off, the attack on Thanos felt ... contrived almost.

Mostly nitpicks, but that's what I felt.

Tough at parts, and for me, may not have the rewatchability of a Winter Soldier. Will have to percolate on it.

11. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    With regards to Cap Marvel, these were the first scenes that Brie Larsen ever filmed in character, so they were done before her solo movie, and before her character was ever really fleshed out. I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. Its more of a basic introduction to her than anything else. She apparently has six more movies on her contract, so we'll see more as we go. Virtual certainty that there's another solo movie for her plus she plays a big role in the group movie that finishes this coming chapter in the MCU.

My personal guess is that her next solo movie might pick up where the previous one left off, more or less. And then after that, will branch into her hearing about what happened on Earth, then what she was into while Endgame was going on.

12. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    That's the problem though - she was billed as being the missing link needed to defeat Thanos, she was the spearhead in their first attempt to recover the stones ... and then just peaced out until the very end whereupon she beat Thanos' *** until he grabbed the power stone and then kicked her out of the fight. I get that Endgame was namely a retirement party for many of the originals, but in that case, the movie timing and marketing was badly done.

Also, WTF was up with Hulk again sitting out a major battle? All I kept thinking as Tony/Thor/Steve fought Thanos was "Hulk revenge time? Now? Maybe now? Ok, gotta be now? No?"

There are other minor issues, plotholes (The universe was saved by a ****ing rat!), etc, but the lack of Marvel and Hulk Smash were kind of glaring.

One thing I forgot to mention that I LOVED was how the crammed in so many minor characters back into various roles. The Ancient One, Secretary Pierce, the redo of the elevator scene (Hail Hydra). What a unique movie.

On a sidenote, anyone else catch the Far From Home trailer? Has major Endgame spoilers, and also a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE hint as to the potential future of the Marvel franchise. I skipped Homecoming at the theater, but this one looks a little more intense.

vmarcilfan75 likes this.
  13. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Hey we agree on the issues with the movie! I haven’t found many people with criticism.

14. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    After seeing the Spiderman: Far From Home trailer, I can just say WOW! If you've seen Endgame, watch it right now. If you haven't, then go see Endgame.

15. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Not sure I buy JG based on that trailer - wooden and unexciting. However, the rest of it was bang up and with some HUGE implications for the future.
    Alternate universe characters like Miles Morales, or as an intro vehicle for the 4 or Xmen, though perhaps to soon for them. Also seems the are setting up Spiderman as the "new iron man" which is interesting considering BP and CM are around.

Yeah for me though it's kind of like SW:TLJ, there are some obvious flaws, but the rest of the movie was good to great enough to carry it in a very entertaining fashion. I still don't know if it will have great re-watchability for me
    Might only be able to take Nat and Tony a limited amount of times
    , but it was a solid movie and probably pretty close to the movie it needed to be for me.

16. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I know exactly how Farm From Home is going to play out. If you know anything about Mysterio in the comics then the movie should be very predictable.

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Been looking forward to this predictably for years

18. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
  19. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    I finally got to watch Endgame this past Friday...What a blast. Loved it...

A+

20. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://screenrant.com/falcon-winter-soldier-disney-plus-filming-october/

Falcon and Winter Soldier will start filming this October, meaning that it will obviously not be on Disney+ until 2020 at some point. It's expected that Marvel and Disney will lay a lot more out about what's coming in July after the new Spiderman movie has been in the cinema for a few weeks.

EDIT/Update: The series will also include Emily VanCamp reprising her role as Sharon Carter, and Daniel Bruhl reprising his role as Baron Zemo.

https://geektyrant.com/news/new-det...baron-zemo-and-sharon-carter-will-be-involved

Warning, there are some spoilers in the article if you still haven't seen Endgame.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  21. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://geektyrant.com/news/chris-h...in-x-men-origins-wolverine-and-duke-in-gi-joe

Chris Hemsworth says that he almost got the role of Gambit in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and that if he had, he woudn't have been able to play Thor. That movie remains one of my very favorite X-Men movies, but I'm glad that he didn't get the role, as its small and he's better suited for Thor anyways.

The role of Gambit didn't do much for Taylor Kitsch, since Fox didn't use the character again, and I've never seen anything else that he's been in.

danmarino likes this.
  22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Wow! That is a controversial opinion that could get you killed in some corners of the internet. Well, internet killed with people typing in all caps on how stupid you are.

He dodged a bullet for not being in the worst X-Men movie of all time and not playing a Texas Gambit.

23. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I know I'm opposite of many. The first Wolverine movie was exactly what I wanted it to be. While I absolutely hated Logan, and am sorry that I wasted my time and money seeing it.

24. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The first four episodes of Agents of Shield this year have been really solid, but given that they specifically waited until after Endgame to begin the season, and they had the whole cast attend the premiers of Endgame and Captain Marvel, I was really expecting there to be some sort of tie in with the greater MCU.

25. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Logan is the best movie to feature a Marvel character soo....

26. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    You might have seen or read this week that Gwenyth Paltrow wasn't aware that she was in Spiderman: Homecoming, which made me laugh pretty hard the first time that I read it. But as this article explains, that could be because she never did filming for that movie, and the scene that she's briefly part of was actually shot during the production of Infinity War instead, and was added into Spiderman perhaps without her actually being aware. It makes a lot of sense, especially given that the often have two of three MCU movies in production at any given time, and having one actor shoot scenes for multiple movies while on site is just the smart way to handle it.

https://screenrant.com/spider-man-homecoming-ending-reshoots-infinity-war-production/

danmarino likes this.
  27. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Any guesses as to when we will get our first official news on the next phase? SDCC? NYCC?

28. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    After Far From Home is released in a few weeks for sure. But at which point, I'm not sure. SDCC is a likely spot for a big presentation if there's going to be one, but I think we'll hear something less official before then too.

29. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://screenrant.com/marvel-sdcc-2019-panel-mcu-phase-4/

Marvel is now officially going to be at SDCC with what appears to be a large presentation. There is also a Disney event called D23 happening a little bit after that too. I suppose when those happen, we'll need to make a new thread for Phase 4.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  30. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I know some people are saying that the X-Men need a rest. IMO, the only one that needs a rest is Mystique, Dark Pheonix, Magneto, and Wolverine. Especially Wolverine.

32. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I agree mostly. Whenever they start to add the X-Men into the MCU, whether that's with a few hints here and there in the next couple of years, or five years down the road in Phase 5, Wolverine and Magneto can't just be at the forefront again. I trust Marvel to be really smart about it. Do something different and cool from what FOX did, and then when those characters are finally reintroduced - maybe around the 20 year anniversary of the MCU - fans will go absolutely nuts.

33. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    THat makes sense. but as tired as we all are of Wolverine, the Xmen in the MCU without him would not be the same to me. Keep him as part of the team, but not have him dominate the limelight,

34. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Not being the same is a good thing.

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Honestly, the X-Men have never meant all that much to me. I could always take or leave them.

The character I'm most excited for, from the Fox acquisition, is Dr. Doom. In fact, I hope the next phase off the MCU shifts into a more villain centric approach. Kind of like with Infinity War and how it was actually a movie where Thanos was the protagonist, I want to see them fleshing out some real big bads, like Doom, the Mandarin, Norman Osborne, etc.

36. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I think those villians are all great for individual movies, but not sure any of them are big enough for a series. maybe Doom would fit that mold.

37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I wasn't clear. I mean make the next phase villain centric so that you build towards something like Masters of Evil or Dark Avengers. Think of all the interplay and team ups, between heroes we had in the last few phases and now imagine doing the same thing but with the bad guys.

38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I feel the missed a golden opportunity to do a Thunderbolts movie between Avengers Infinity Wars and Avengers End Game.

Of course they still could do a Thunderbolts movie and just set it during that 5 year period.

39. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    that would be interesting. the thunderbolts were in my non-comic phase, certainly has potential. the other team-up is sinister 6 which seems to already be building up. I'm just not sure either of those teams is big enough for interplay of movies.

For the x-men story arc, I still want to see the Brood

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  40. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia