1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marvel Phases 4 & 5 Discussion

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Unlucky 13, Aug 14, 2019.

1. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Spoilery response below. Left-click, hold, and slide down to read.

I think you can enjoy it without watching WV. But if you watch DS2 after last seeing her in Endgame, you're going to wonder about a lot. Kids. The Darkhold. Westview. Wanda's power upgrade. Heck, the Scarlet Witch could easily have defeated Thanos by herself. Personally, all of this would confuse me if I hadn't seen the show.

2. KeyFin

KeyFin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I kind of felt the same way as well. There were several things I forgot about when I looked around the web afterwards I was like, "Oh yeah....that sort of changes it for me." Several reviews say that it should have been 20-30 minutes longer and I agree with that, they just tried to pack so much in there that the pace could never slow down.

I completely agree- one of those moments was at the end and it really frustrated me. But there was also the one constant throughout the movie that they kept saying about Dr. Strange. And I was like, if that was true, we wouldn't be in this multiverse mess in the first place. Little stuff like that bugged me.

But then the ending part after the action slows down, where everyone ends up...I just didn't love it.

Eh, that's my rant though and it feels pretty spoiler-free. It was a really good movie, but I almost think it would have played better as a Disney+ series over 6-8 episodes so we could digest it in bite-sized pieces. The pace wouldn't have been as frantic and they could have explored some of that stuff a little more.

Dol-Fan Dupree and Unlucky 13 like this.
  3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I would love for at least a flashback as to something that connected Wandavision to MoM. Though it changes the unsatisfying ending of not having enough consequences for her crimes at the end of WandaVision to, "Yea, she didn't. Isn't that something?"

KeyFin likes this.
  4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    IMO the movie sort of paralleled the show in that regard
    she never really faced consequences that weren't of her own choice. I am not sure I liked the ending, it felt like an abrupt end to the character. And while I liked the exploration of parenthood and loss and the toll it can take, I think just making her evil did a disservice.

I also echo someone else's point made earlier that the movie veered away from what I expected, and to me it didn't work. To be blunt, I expected a kind of House of M type of thing. The reveal of Patrick Stewart, Wanda hinted at being the bad guy, it all felt like things were leading to that (because they were). Then the movie pulled the rug out and went all self-contained story largely. I felt kind of denied, and while I thought it was still a good movie, I kind of also felt a little let down. It was also definitely a darker, more horror-y tone than any prior movie. It does fit the magic/witchcraft theme, but also made it feel rather different than other marvel films.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team DeVante Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I was surprised to learn that Xochitl Gomez, the actress who plays America, only turned 16 a few weeks ago. She was 14 when she was cast. That's a bold move by Marvel, when the industry usually casts university-age actors as teens, such as in Spiderman. It was an impressive performance by someone so young, and I wonder if it means she's in Marvel's plans for quite a while.

Also, there's a rumor that the new director of the Fantastic Four will be Bryce Dallas Howard. If so, I'm very much on board. She's done great work as a director with Star Wars projects lately. (As a connection to my earlier point, she was 26 when she played Gwen Stacey in Spiderman 3)

texanphinatic likes this.
  6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    She was originally supposed to be in Spider-Man No Way Home. Which was supposed to come out after MoM. Due to scheduling issues MoM got pushed back and all her magic scenes were given to Ned.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  7. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    That would have been interesting. But on the flip side, Ned's character is now evolved and potentially more interesting/important going forward.

8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The She Hulk series on Disney+ has now been dated as a August 17th release. No word on the number of episodes yet. But given that all of the series except Wandavision (and What If) have had six, I'd say that's a safe bet.

I wonder if we'll get more info on the upcoming projects at Comic Con in July? If not, we surely will at D23 in September.